Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Open Ic] Phobos Patrol: The Other Side

Psychotoxin

OOC: The characters here are Grineer, and the Tenno are your enemies. You are the Grineer

A lone Elite Arid Lancer stood among the dunes. It was hot, and the sun shone bright, but that didn`t bother him.
"This is Groth Kal, come in outpost Beta." He said in his transceiver, his language flowing and fluid for his ears, but nothing more than guttural grunts for anyone but Grineer.

"--Outpost Beta. We hear you loud and clear, sergeant.--"

"What`s the ETA of the support squad you sent?" he asked.

"-- ETA in 10 minutes, sir.--"

There was still some time. Kal enjoyed the time alone. He was a bit unusual for the Grineer, because he was not as mindless as most of them. Cloned only 4 times and one of the few Grineer to survive Tyl`s genetical experiments. He was someone who would occasionally enjoy a good painting or sit down with a drink and think about abstract things.

He saw a pack of Skates not too far. Well as long as he kept quiet, they would be no trouble.

As he was enjoying the view, he hear the thud of marching not far off. His support squad was here. It`s always nice to meet new, loyal Grineer soldiers.

Still trying to catch his breath, he nodded his head.

"I was told by *cough* my superior to head out here and meet with the le*cough cough* ader of this outpost. I've been searching for hours but couldn't find him.

Serat took off his mask and began to spit small amounts of blood onto the floor. He then sat down to rest.

"I despise this wretched land. I'm more used to cooler climates."

"Well neither am i a leader "per se", nor are these couple of houses a real outpost. But for what it`s worth, i do act as a leader. Well did. Now that the wretched Tenno killed off my squad i`ve got no one to lead. Anyways, here - take this water." He said, handing his water bottle to Serat.

"Well you can rest for a bit. We still need to wait for others, before we move out." Kal said, looking for any other Grineer units.

*drinks from the water bottle*

*puts the mask back on*

Serat was thinking to himself as to why this lancer was this friendly. The rest that he had met had done nothing but bark orders at him. 

"So…what do you think of the Tenno?"

"I`ve seen a fair share of them, and downed a few too. All i can say is - they are deadly masterpieces. Beautiful to look at, but more dangerous than a pack of male Skates in mating season." Kal replied

"Sometimes i wish i`d get a chance to talk to them. Understand them. But this bloody war, and that pesky Lotus makes sure that would never happen."

He sighed. "I hope you won`t pass this information on. A lot of the higher-ups will lack the reasoning to understand my world-view, and they`d discharge me for treason at the mere mention of this."

Serat wasn't a hardass but he hated the Tenno. He had heard of what they had done to his predecessors but it was obvious that this lancer was…unique. Not a defect at all…but interesting.

"Kehehehe…KAAHAHAHAHAHAH!" 

Serat laughed heartily and loudly, and draws some questioning glares from other grineer units.

Kal looked at the Eviscerator. Currently that was the best way someone had reponded to his thoughts.

By now a few other Lancers, some Troopers and a Hellion had joined them. They were still expecting 2 Heavy Gunners, another Hellion and a Napalm.

if you don't mind i will take command of 1'2 ( 2nd squad of 1st platoon from 13 battalion stationed on ground on Phobos)

the base location is in grid 360 500 (3,2 km south to AO, AO is on N-NE)

My squad consist of 2 fireteams 4 soldiers each obviously.

i have no idea if we greneer are allowed to have transport units like LAVs or anything that sort, so it's up to OP to clarify.

anyway, my character will be Sergant Lerkus, ordinary SL, fought against corpus on Venus and Have a nerve on Red Veil for being naive and idealistic.

......And right before  i decided to take a nap here out of pure boredom, 1'6 (our command element) got in contact with us on VOX comms.

1'2 this is 1'6 we need your squad to move up in grid 361 532 and investigate what's going on. radar got something. how copy? OVER.

1'6 this is 1'2 good copy, what we are expecting? OVER

1'2 this is 1'6 expect crashside of old destroyed orbital station 1, OVER

1'6 this is 1'2 copy, OUT

Station 1 was here since the very start of colonization of Phobos by our forces. It wasn't big even at it's time, but it was a solid transportation hub for all supplies to this sand rock. Usually trajectories are calculated to minimalize risk of impact with asteroids, but our folks probably messed it up, so the station was destroyed. Of course i understand that it's really hard to foresee anything especially in space, but this was still a catastrophe. Most of personal didn't made it, few dozens survivors were lucky enough to get out there before the impact, and were kept interrogated by intelligence, like if they caused it. Of course they were relesed later, but none of them ever talked about this incident. I don't really know what happened there, there were rummors about tenno causing this havoc, but who in sane mind will seriously think that they would stand a chance against full batallion of our soldiers? Tenno are indeed good at what they are, but such overexertion of their power is just silly,  so each time conspiracy chicken appears among our ranks i have a good laugh at them. The whole space station? With full batallion? Tell me about it please. In any case, as you know from academy, one of the main problems on orbit is space trash and debris. The most annoying is that there is no way to get rid of it. Lucky for us here on Phobos, station 1 got cracked just in few pieces withot much debris, so it wasn't too hard to set on orbit space station 2 couple decades later.from Mars. These pieces are usually tracked and their trajectories are calculated, so it's quite surprising that one of pieces got down. I don't have any willing to waste my time watching a hole in sand especially during this hot season, but order is an order, and anyway, our squad wasn't terribly occupied last few month stationed here.

Edited by n7snk

Kal looked at the Eviscerator. Currently that was the best way someone had reponded to his thoughts.

By now a few other Lancers, some Troopers and a Hellion had joined them. They were still expecting 2 Heavy Gunners, another Hellion and a Napalm.

The distinctive Fww-WHOOSH of a turbine pack heralded the landing of the Hellion. "You two defective or something?" he growled, glancing back at the slower members of his squad. "The hell are you doing out here? Less shooting the breeze, more shooting the greedy milk out of some skulls, get it?" He gestured towards the sand skates. "Been tracking those a while. They're excited, and not about us. Found food, they have. Could be a patrol we've lost contact with, or enemies, but either way something we should check out-" he trails off, mumbling something about degenerate brain tissue while fumbling for a pair of magnoculars. "Lucky for you two brokebacks, seems like those things are tuckered out for now. Just gotta keep an eye on them til they wanna move."

"Well now. Who went and made you the squad leader?" Kal looked at the Hellion with disdain.

Then he looked at the rest of his men. "Ok, I guess there's enough of you maggots here, to finally get to debriefing." he growled. The patience and kindness had passed and now there was only anger and bloodlust. "So one of our AA cannons managed to down a Tenno dropship nearby. We're going there to investigate. It's a few clicks away, and we should be able to get there in an hour. Check your gear, and ensure that you take enough water with you. If anyone complains about thirst, I'll personally make sure that you'll never feel anything again. Move out."

Then he looked at the Hellion. "What's your name, and what squad are you from?" Kal said in a harsh tone.

"Well now. Who went and made you the squad leader?" Kal looked at the Hellion with disdain.

Then he looked at the rest of his men. "Ok, I guess there's enough of you maggots here, to finally get to debriefing." he growled. The patience and kindness had passed and now there was only anger and bloodlust. "So one of our AA cannons managed to down a Tenno dropship nearby. We're going there to investigate. It's a few clicks away, and we should be able to get there in an hour. Check your gear, and ensure that you take enough water with you. If anyone complains about thirst, I'll personally make sure that you'll never feel anything again. Move out."

Then he looked at the Hellion. "What's your name, and what squad are you from?" Kal said in a harsh tone.

"Rethek," the Hellion lowers the magnoculars to turn his masked face to Kal, "and I've been assigned with you, took a while to figure out where you'd wandered off to. And for the record, I don't lead. I get the job done, and if anyone helps, great." He checks the status of his missile barrage, ensuring everything was ready. "Tenno, huh? Hope this thing works as well as the engineers say it does, never fought Tenno before." Rethek falls in step with Kal, saving his jetpack's fuel for combat. "Anything I should know, leader?"

"From what i gathered this dropship was leaving Roche. Since i couldn't get a connection, i assume the Tenno did a complete wipe. Sad to lose people in such quantities." Kal said.

"Roche was populated by about 70-80 men, so we should be careful. Don't be mindless, check your targets and keep moving. Don't let the Tenno get a bead on you." He said to the rest of the squad, as they trekked through the burning desert sand.

OOC: Permission given. And You can have the vehicles, since the tileset on phobos has some sort of machinery, that might be for transportation.

thanks alot,

can we have our squads to be signed as 1'1 to 1'6 so we can roleplay radio comms too?

i mean we will probably have to cooperate to fight against tenno.

and about vehicles, let's pretend that grineer have standard issue LAV transporters with 16 + 3 capacity (driver, navigator and crew chief for radio comms and command obviously)

will we have vehicles attached to each squad or they will transport 2 squads each?

any artillery avaiable?

just for sake of making it a bit more easy for imagination, this is how transporters will look like.

transport.png

anyway, back to ic

Lerkus was still sleepy while walking out from barracks.

-You all heard the VOX, check your ammunition and we are mounting into 1'2V,  (1'2 Victor - Vehicle attached to 2nd squad of 1st platoon),

Both FTLs ackneowledged and in couple of minutes whole squad was mounted and headed north to AO.

-1'6 this is 1'2V,  1'2 mounted in, we are ready to move out on your command OVER

-1'2V this is 1'6 copy, move out, AO north 3,2 clicks away, 1'6 OUT

-Why the hell we are going for crashside of Station 1 when  %INSERT_KAI_SQUAD_NUMBER% got the real job on checking downed Tenno dropship?

-No idea, -Lerkus replied,  -But order is an order, may be this is another one.

Transporter was moving quite slow on this difficult terrain. The sand canwas of Phobos was filled unes, rocks, tips of the ancient colonies ruins.

-Speed 20, guys, -said the driver,

-We could just walk there with same success, - one of the soldiers decided to make a remark

-You better be gratefull that we are not stuck, but if you insist you can walk out there by yourself, -Grinned the crew chief

The soldier had a laugh, we all know how hot it's out there and nobody would want to patroll this area on foot. If you ever wondered how hot it is, just imagine walking on a pan with an oven baking you with heat from the top. Add being equipped in battle armor and fully loaded with amunition on top and even after that it would not fully reflect the weather on Phobos.

-ETA, 9 minutes

Edited by n7snk

-snip-

OOC: Now there's an OOC post for this RP...

As Kal's Squad was advancing a lancer from the rear came up to him and asked for permission to speak freely.

"Permission given. What is is Lancer?"

"Sir, how come we don't got a LAV?"

"Because I prefer we remain inconspicuous. And the LAVs move about as fast as we do, so we have a better chance of avoiding fire, since we can scatter. Now if you're done with stupid questions, keep your eyes peeled and watch for anything unusual."

Kal then radioed outpost Beta once again:

"Outpost Beta, this is Groth Kal of squad 1'1, how copy, over?"

"--Loud and clear, sir--"

"What's the status of 1'2, over?"

"--currently en route to Station 1 crash site--"

"Good. Keep me posted. Over and out."

With that he terminated the comms and resumed walking. It was still 30 or so minutes on foot.

Edited by Psychotoxin

• 2 weeks later...

ETA to objective was around 2 minutes, the smoke of crashside was visible.

suddenly,  the vehicle stopped roughly with terrible machine craching noise

-what the hell is happened?

-seems like we sat on rock and it broke our suspension, - replied the driver

-amazing, so seems like we are stuck here, - the soldier looked really pissed off

-1'6, this is 1'2 V status red, sat on rock, we are 200 meters south from AO, over

-1'2 V this is 1'6, copy, are you able to fix your victor, over

-1'6, this is 1'2 V roger that, we will fix it in couple of hours, over

-1'2 this is 1'6, proceed to the AO on foot how copy, over

-1'6 this is 1'2, good copy, over

-1'6 out

Lerkus wasn't very happy aswell, but seems like it was time to get out and get burned by incandescent sun of the Phobos, he barked:

-everybody dismount, red team 360, blue team on me

...to be continued

"-1`1, come in. This is 1`6, Outpost Beta. Over.-" The radio came to life.

"1`6, This is Groth Kal of 1`1, listening. What seems to be the problem? Over." Kal answered immediately.

"-1`2 V has lost their LAV. Proceeding on foot. Over.-"

"Ok. Radio in to them, that we`re cancelling the rendezvous, and 1`2 should proceed back to base, once the objective is secure and situation is stable. 1`1 Over and out." Kal said.

Damn. This puts a twist on the plans.

Kal and his squad were approaching a ruined settlement. Smoke could be seen from the ruins, and Kal heard gunshots. He could make out 4 Grakatas, and a single unknown rifle. Some painful moans were heard. Apparently a squad had engaged the lone Tenno, but the gunshots were dying out, and the death screams of Grineer were herd more prominently.

Kal motioned his squad to advance quietly, and prepared his Hind rifle.