Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Underappreciated Weapons?

Lunaticked

Question

There was a thread a few days ago with someone in love with their forma'd out Grakata, and it got me thinking...are there any weapons you think are particularly good with some love and care, even if they're kind of bad 'out of the box' so to speak?

If so, how do you build them? I'm tired of my Soma and Penta.

Vectis - Low dps due to having to reload the gun after every shot (or two of modded for ammo capacity), but each shot does a hefty amount of damage on headshot even without a Primed Chamber mod. I don't use her much anymore, but I'm not getting rid of Ol' Faithful because of all the hard times she got me through. And despite what others might tell you, medium-long range encounters do happen more frequently than you'd think. The Void is especially prone to giving you big open rooms with lots of maneuverability and little cover. Specific tiles on Grineer/Corpus maps are nice and open too but these tend to happen most in the Void.

Stug - Most people don't like the firing mechanism, and the fact that it's easy to kill yourself if you're not keeping track of your globs. Which might be why I rarely see people use the Stug despite its high AoE damage potential. It can also build a traditional rainbow loadout, which is something only the Tysis and the Stug itself enjoy.

Status build weapons:

Amprex

Gorgon Wraith

Grakata

Grinlok

Lecta

Lanka

Miter

Tysis

Serro

Ignis/Accelerant is awesome and underused. Ignis status build is underused too. Rad/Viral with both event mods is something awesome against packs of high level Grineer.

Acrid is still AMAZING against Corpus, yet I never see it.

I don't see Castanas used enough, given how amazing they are.

Akboltos are underused, given that they can pull similar DPS to Boltor Prime. Suppose not enough people willing to use a click macro.

Throwing weapons in general, but especially the Kestrel. I mean, its a ranged knockdown that doesnt cost energy and can be equipped on any frame, plus it does a nice chunk of damage. Why wouldn't you?

I think the reason why most throwing melees are underused is that people don't like mixing them into their regular gunplay. They either want full melee or full dakka. Remembering to throw your melee weapon while you're reloading or opening up a conflict with the Glaive before firing arrows into the crowd is an extra step that most people either haven't thought of or just don't want to take. Personally I find it makes combat interesting. My Glaive Prime is my AoE tool with my Dread/Paris Prime and Despair loadout if I don't feel like using Castanas... which isn't all that often because the Castanas are a little awkward to use sometimes.

That, and landing headshots with throwing melees is kind of tricky since you can't hold the charge. 

Edited by Noble_Cactus

-snip-

Ignis

I think people are aware that this gun is epic, but for some reason no one uses it. Why Accelerant + Ignis has not caught on is just totally beyond me. Such a crazy strong combo that just hits everything for miles for truckloads and truckloads of damage.

-snip-

Ignis is my primary weapon of choice, I have it setup for Gas /Radiation/Magnetic damage depending on the faction I will face, magnetic in the void as the shielding drones are a right pita.

But it has its fall off, 1-35ish it can't be beat for damage with clustered enemies, level 35+ mobs then it starts to feel week, 40+ and I really want my Soma.  Both my Ignis and Soma are 4 time forma'd, I could make them stronger but I don't do the crazy level 100+ runs that some do

Amphis.

Surprisingly fast weapon, that can deliver some nice damage in enormous range, plus easy-to-do AoE or single-target combos with Flailing Branch. Also, excellent mobility tool.

Pity that DE gimped ragdolling on it. Sending packs of infested to the skies was super fun. 

Edited by Khranitel

I think the reason why most throwing melees are underused is that people don't like mixing them into their regular gunplay. They either want full melee or full dakka. Remembering to throw your melee weapon while you're reloading or opening up a conflict with the Glaive before firing arrows into the crowd is an extra step that most people either haven't thought of or just don't want to take. Personally I find it makes combat interesting. My Glaive Prime is my AoE tool with my Dread/Paris Prime and Despair loadout if I don't feel like using Castanas... which isn't all that often because the Castanas are a little awkward to use sometimes.

That, and landing headshots with throwing melees is kind of tricky since you can't hold the charge.

Question on glaive, which is now my default secondary (cause it's fun), how do you trigger the explosion while glaive is not equipped. I can't, aoe explosion seems random after a few bounce. Left clicking only fires your primary weapon. When I want to control the explosion I have to equip the glaive but I dislike it because throwing it is to much hastle, you have to melee left right and then throw (the E hold E thing). Thus makint it a slow weapon in a fast paced fight.

Question on glaive, which is now my default secondary (cause it's fun), how do you trigger the explosion while glaive is not equipped. I can't, aoe explosion seems random after a few bounce. Left clicking only fires your primary weapon. When I want to control the explosion I have to equip the glaive but I dislike it because throwing it is to much hastle, you have to melee left right and then throw (the E hold E thing). Thus makint it a slow weapon in a fast paced fight.

Power Throw makes it explode on the last impact. Quick Return makes the first impact, the last impact. So it explodes every time the first time it hits something with those two mods.

Power Throw makes it explode on the last impact. Quick Return makes the first impact, the last impact. So it explodes every time the first time it hits something with those two mods.

Ah thanks Darzk, a fully rank Quick Return I presume? Will try that. But if we use this hack, we can no longer kill mobs by bouncing the glaive on corners. But then again it's worth it to have a predictable explosion on the first impact. I died more to Glaive then Penta or Ogris :/

But you know what is best, change the mechanics for throwing. Just hold E while glaive is equipped would be awesome.

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned:

DUAL CLEAVERS

Now, before you all jump all over me, without a single Forma or Catalyst you do a non-channeling crit build. That nets you ~5.7x crit damage and a 40% crit rate. Add in Fury and Berserker for speed so you can get those crits to come out. Fill the rest with damage of your choice. Use the Swirling Tiger stance since it's faster. The thing will hit for big numbers and fast. Not only that, but the dual cleavers will STUN LOCK nearly any enemy you hit.

Add in a Catalyst for more damage.

Edited by PlebbyMilliner

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned:

DUAL CLEAVERS

Now, before you all jump all over me, without a single Forma or Catalyst you do a non-channeling crit build. That nets you ~5.7x crit damage and a 40% crit rate. Add in Fury and Berserker for speed so you can get those crits to come out. Fill the rest with damage of your choice. Use the Swirling Tiger stance since it's faster. The thing will hit for big numbers and fast. Not only that, but the dual cleavers will STUN LOCK nearly any enemy you hit.

Add in a Catalyst for more damage.

Dual cleavers are decent. but imo i will just stick to Zoren because of the copter and ichors for the damage.

Cleavers are somewhat in between both of them.

Edited by fatpig84

Detron.

Why? It's a LASER SHOTGUN PISTOL. What's not to like aboot that?

Plus, it slaughters Alloy enemies like they're made of paper. The reload is awesome, even though it has that unneeded six battery.

And a weapon I have seen once in three months...

The Obex.

These may not do a lot of damage, but the speed you can get with Bezerker, Warcry and Speed is INSANE.

Dual cleavers are decent. but imo i will just stick to Zoren because of the copter and ichors for the damage.

Cleavers are somewhat in between both of them.

Try the Bo or another staff for "coptering". If you jump in the air and do a spin/air attack you'll fly across the entire tile.