Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Would You Think If Warframe Had An Actual World Instead Of Different Maps On A World

sloppynachosbro

Eugh it would probably end up being all awkward like what they did with Vindictus first try at making their game feel more open.

100% seamless world is just not going to be Warframe...they would have to re-engineer the entire game for this to happen...but for what exactly? Of course it would feel a little "deeper"

But there are other ways to achieve this that won't require them to basically make an entirely new game ;P

Last I checked Destiny wasn't a "true" open world in terms of mechanics. You're matched up to a team of 3 into these sort of mission areas, which are undoubtedly pretty large.

The whole process of matchmaking is being emphasized as seamless, and you have an option to just ignore anybody you come across. The only significant number of players lies in the hubs and such, but it isn't a "complete" open world. It's sounding a lot like warframes gameplay structure but a lot more free flowing.

Because one of the highest draws to PC gaming (at least to me) is being able to have amazing graphics and low end machine can't that especially if it's more then 2 or 3 years old

If you can't a game at at least med-high settings at at least 720p then what's the point, you might as well just get a console

What's if you don't want to spend ton of $$$ on a console just to play Warframe? And what's if you don't care that much game graphics. Maybe that low-end PC's people are gaming on are very light and mobile so they can use it for many ways. Gaming desktop or laptop can not be taken outside because gaming laptops has a very poor battery life. I have one mid-range 15.6 inch laptop for gaming with user non-replaceable battery, which greatly degraded in just 2 months. Now I hardly can take my laptop with me anywhere, not just because of it's large size, but the battery barely lasts 2 full hours. I'd have better bought a 13.3 or 14 inch laptop that I could take outside to trips and play some games on my free time.

Edited by Amandis

It would be nice to have more expansive levels where we have to explore and not just traverse. 

However do not think destiny to be this amazing thing until you have played it. Until we play it is merely hype in the wind, and I think we all are pretty good at understanding about hype. 

@MDRLOz
I actually took part in the "Destiny Alpha First Look".
And while it was fun, it wasn't completely open world as there were instanced missions and then a large area that you could do side-missions and such in with random players that were also in the area, but then you went right back to the instanced areas with a team of three for most of the actual gameplay.  And you couldn't just hop from the wide open area to the instanced area without going back to your ship first.  Sure you could go through the area your instanced mission happens in but it would have different spawns and no boss or anything at the end.

The open areas were kinda like Borderlands in a way(especially in regards to how big the non-mission areas were), large spaces and buildings that you could go through as you killed the respawning enemies and went to beacons to activate short quests of the "Go here and scan (read stand there for a short time)" or "Go to this object and scan it" or "Kill X enemies" or "Loot X objects from Y enemy types".

All of the actual "story" stuff was in the instanced dungeons and that is where I think most of the action of the final product will be.

The biggest issue compared to a game like this is that the maps are 100% static.
So once you knew where the quests were and where their objectives were as well as enemy spawns it never changed.
Same with the actual missions.
Once you knew "I go through this door and X enemies will spawn and they will all be melee so better pull out my shotgun..." that was it and there was really no reason to replay the missions other than trying for a no-death/no-damage run or something like that.

Dont get me wrong, Destiny Alpha was fun, but its not good enough to really demand a ton of hype.  But having static maps for everything in WF wouldn't be a good idea IMO.

And remember, we used to have pretty huge tiles in the asteroid tile-base...but they were removed due to too many people complaining about them being slightly confusing...which was saddening as I loved those huge tiles.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I don't know where the rest of this conversation has headed.

However I think of a combination of Mass effect and minecraft (adventure aspect only) with this idea.

Explore:

- Deploy ship on planet surface. Landing sites are the same per clan.

- Procedurally generated Biomes. Occasional methods of transport. Some biomes require transports to be abandoned.

- Settlements, cities etc VIP's with randomly generated quests for unique weapons/ achievements/ lore/ gear,

- Missions that may send you through biomes to destroy a target, reveal other missions or bases not previously seen.

- Improving relations among a city against Vey Heks propaganda... rewards you with resources per tick as well as the settlement looking after your titan extractors.

- Taking contracts against settlements makes you unwelcome to related settlements, yet strengthens your bond with tyrants.

etc etc... so many ideas come to mind.

If more than four people were going to be connected at once, this would require a separate server to run the game.  Right now, all games in Warframe are players hosting the game and others connecting to them.

I'm not saying such a thing would be impossible, but it would be highly unlikely which how Warframe was made at the moment.  Once the PvP battles for light rails come out, maybe something like this could be closer, but again still unlikely.

Not to mention, if there was one world, that would take out all of the random world generation, wouldn't it?

thats just ignorant.

No it's not.  You can make a new decent gaming PC or upgrade your existing one for just a few hundred dollars, and the specs will be about equal to or greater then the newer consoles.  If you can't or won't upgrade your PC to be more powerful than the average toaster then gaming most likely isn't a big deal to you and if it is, then you need to rethink a few things.  

Because one of the highest draws to PC gaming (at least to me) is being able to have amazing graphics and low end machine can't that especially if it's more then 2 or 3 years old

If you can't a game at at least med-high settings at at least 720p then what's the point, you might as well just get a console

I always thought the draw of PC gaming was the ease to create games for it since you didn't need to comply to some sort of agreement with some sort of platform licensing much like how console game developpers have to.

... that and the modding communities that manage to mod even games that originally didn't have any sort of modding tools to begin with.

... and the wider variety of games on the platform.

... and how some genres are much easier to play on PC rather than a console (RTS, MOBA, arguably FPS and TPS).

As for graphics, while it's awesome to have a good looking game, if the game at its base is not fun to play, graphics hardly then matters. I guess the real 'graphical draw' is that it's a continuously evolving platform in term of performance whereas a console will remain the same and quickly be outdated after a year, with a new iteration only coming out in 5 to 10 years.

Last I checked Destiny wasn't a "true" open world in terms of mechanics. You're matched up to a team of 3 into these sort of mission areas, which are undoubtedly pretty large.

The whole process of matchmaking is being emphasized as seamless, and you have an option to just ignore anybody you come across. The only significant number of players lies in the hubs and such, but it isn't a "complete" open world. It's sounding a lot like warframes gameplay structure but a lot more free flowing.

Yes and no; it's more like you get to choose between a few planets to visit and each have a large map you can explore. The map loads when you drop unto the planet but moving from one area to another of the planet is done seamlessly through data streaming and actually hiding loading sections with a few corridors and such (most noticeable when you're followed by 2-3 random players and moving past a corner, you suddenly find yourself alone since you were 'matchmade' into another instance.

The only way to avoid that kind of disrepancy is to have other players in your fireteam which makes them part of your 'party'. Also, matchmaking only happens with Strikes (akin to raids in MMOs) or in PvP where you're put in a team with 5 other players; simply exploring a world means you'll sometime come across a few other players who are in the same area that you are but are by no mean 'joined' together. You can invite them then to your fireteam though and actually explore together or set your privacy to public (default is set to "Friends" amongst "Private" and "Closed" options) which I think means that you'll get paired up with people already in the starting area of the map you drop in or automatically accept Fireteam invites.

Per se, it's not really a completely seamless open world game... but more like a game with several open 'worlds' to explore which aren't directly and seamlessly linked together. Areas are quite large and while there was only one in the Alpha (Earth, Russia), there was one area that was cut off that seemed to lead somewhere else which makes me believe the actual map is larger than the one we were given to explore.

---

As for Warframe being open world, it would kind of defeat the purpose of randomized tileset missions... unless you'd have a static, populated map to explore and missions loading you into the current system we have in place. Granted, it would give a chance to have these open maps more focused on exploration and use of parkour whereas missions would be more focused on combat, completing an objective or defending one.

It would require a lot of work though and dealing with the netcode and AI that, right now, breaks whenever you have more than 4 players in the same game. Unless the use of dedicated servers came into play for those areas which would support the network traffic and AI.

Edited by Wiegraf

No it's not.  You can make a new decent gaming PC or upgrade your existing one for just a few hundred dollars, and the specs will be about equal to or greater then the newer consoles.  If you can't or won't upgrade your PC to be more powerful than the average toaster then gaming most likely isn't a big deal to you and if it is, then you need to rethink a few things.  

Because everyone has a few hundred dollars lying around for the sole purpose of upgrading their gear, eh? I'm a gamer. I enjoy both PC and console. However, I am also poor. I can't afford to drop a few hundred bucks to upgrade every six months. Even now, I'm saving up for a low end gaming laptop, and I mean almost the lowest possible tier it can still be called a gaming rig.

Currently, I will have to save for eight months, and that's with three summer jobs that I can not afford to have for most of the year.

So please, tell me how people with sub-par computers are not trying.

Edited by KF5AQX

Look at the size of DE.

Now back to Bungie.

Sadly, they aren't big like Bungie.

In short, their team isn't large enough and doesn't have the resources to do something like that.

Something like that would have to happen a LOOOOOONG time from now.

• 1 month later...

I think what might work is various sized cities, which includes buildings you can enter, similar to a planet where you have sectors you have to take, but you are able to explore the whole city from start to finish or pick a landing zone once the sectors have been unlocked from menu screen.  This could have a player limit and there could be other ai Tennos fighting as well.  This could be purely sector control, maybe something similar to Company of Soldiers 2, where some areas are vital to hold in order to weaken the defenses of the enemy.  

Each squad has their objectives and how well they do in a timely manner will impact other squads, contain or control an area means no more enemy reinforcements will flow into the city from a specific direction.  

Of course we cannot have pvp because of the WF being so overpowered when maxed etc, lets say two clans are contesting for the control of the whole city and one clan has already taken it. Lets say its a Corpus city, the Corpus could be forced to fight for them else they die. What if you could as a defender control a small squad or platoon of corpus? the type of units and number could be based upon mastery rank. What if you could take control of a drone and fly above the battle (these can be destroyed by players like they do) and direct your subordinates where to go, this could be useful if the defenders are coordinating attacks, and use switch and bait tactics, ambushes and reinforcing areas that badly need it. Once a city is taken or defended, it could be the number of normal mission for that city to accumulate until it can be challenged again.  

This idea would allow for different kinds of transport vehicles (or jetpacks anyone?) and perhaps recon drones that can fly over and give data to clan leaders who want to perhaps to relay that info on the main map. However i do not think vehicles should come into their own, Halo had some large maps that required a vehicle to get to areas to fight and perhaps that could be ok for some maps if ppl like that sort of thing, but i think a city that is dense and has plenty of cover and areas to keep it cqb as well as some open areas too. 

There could be an airport that if taken will deny the defending clan to retreat without heavy loss or getting Ai reinforcements. But to focus on the airport means less players troops in other areas.  The vehicles could need resupply areas to be held, and damaged ones taken back there to get "healed' as it were. Defenders of these zones could get double XP for incentives for staying at your post and defending. 

You still have CQB inside large buildings and open areas where vehicles and long-range weapons employed, as well as some frames that are created for open ground combat, if you have some that can run fast and has more defensive abilities like cover smoke and decoy illusions etc. 

This probably sounds more Planetside than Warframe lol but i think Halo in the past have had some nice MP maps and also SP city maps like in Halo ODST that could be more CQB that suits Warframe, its just taking the combat environment onto a larger canvas.  The city roofs could also be a battleground for lots of parkour jumping required to get to places. It might be a stretch but it would be nice if a city is pre-generated, and is re-generated when it falls into new hands so to speak. This could mean you have multiple cities on planet, instead of like a current sector on a planet we have now, one of those equals a large city.  Each planet has different styled cities and having them mostly pre-generated as far as layout goes and semi-generated buildings like maps can slightly change at the moment.  This would give maps a fresh feel.  There still would be the small maps of ships and bases like we have already, the larger maps are for when you want to play a mission that might last an hour or two or longer. 

I guess this idea would be better without vehicles, aside from perhaps transport vehicles and inclusion of using drones for recon, maybe a future warframe will use them extensively, another warframe might have base-jumping ability from great heights. The city could have lots of zip lines between buildings and cables players can risk running along. 

I think perhaps to begin with one large city (see if the concept could work- use existing buildings for interior) could be made as a homebase for Corpus on their home world or something and use that as a testing ground and perhaps the city can be added onto and scale it out to a size that is just right for gameplay.  This probably dips into strategy and tactical fighting too that would welcome team work. 

I haven't yet myself been involved in the current clan war system, but another take on TVT or clan vs clan wanting to defend or take a city would be two versions of the city against the Ai. Who ever wins first or accumulates the most strategic points wins. There could be a respawn ticket system similar to BF.  

I think this could work if keeping the gameplay the same, the city could really give the warframes ability of using parkour to get around would open that side of things up too. 

Anyway enough rambling.  As for now, i would like to see some larger maps, some more earth like maps with perhaps ancient ruins and more hidden areas. 

I would rather see more semi-randomisation of maps but have some larger maps,