Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Movement In Warframe In Unresponsive, Floaty, Clunky. In Short: It's Atrocious.

Caernarvon

Never before was this more clear than now with the new event tileset.

HOLY CRUD I have rarely felt so little in control of my character in an action game.

It's like warframes weight 2 tons, have immense inertia, and need several seconds to switch from an animation to the other like rusty robots. Never mind the intrusive auto-rolling which makes me want to strangle whoever thought that was a good idea. Or the slow manual rolling which makes you more vulnerable than anything.

In an action game your character is supposed to react instantly to your every input:

-Instant changes in direction.

-Fast, intuitive air movement. If air control is limited (can be a design choice): air time must be kept at a minimum.

-Short, cancellable animations: no time wasted.

-Quick recovery from heavy hits.

-Full control of your character at any moment: never must the player feel like he's waiting for his character to finish an action.

I don't even want to call this Movement 2.0. If a movement rework comes, it'll be Movement 1.0, because so far movement just doesn't function properly yet.

If DE doesn't understand these points, I urge them to play some acclaimed third person action games out there. Especially ones featuring dynamic close combat.

I don't consider Warframe the greatest controls/movement ever, but I wouldn't call it BAD either. I have no problem wall running around and use it often, especially the wall-touch-jump that sends you flying. I can't play regular shooters now because I miss the simple vault mechanic to go over rails that so many games refuse to include and then don't plan around their jump height.

Go play GODMODE on Steam. That is what "bad" controls feel like.

If DE doesn't understand these points, I urge them to play some acclaimed third person action games out there. Especially ones featuring dynamic close combat.

Example?

I played the original GunZ but not the new one. Warframe is better than the original GunZ IMO. None of the other TPS I've played strike me as anywhere near similar, and none of them were significantly better or worse than Warframe. Warframe is MUCH better than defiance IMO.

I don't consider Warframe the greatest controls/movement ever, but I wouldn't call it BAD either. I have no problem wall running around and use it often, especially the wall-touch-jump that sends you flying. I can't play regular shooters now because I miss the simple vault mechanic to go over rails that so many games refuse to include and then don't plan around their jump height.

Go play GODMODE on Steam. That is what "bad" controls feel like.

Well...that's actually kind of it. 

I'm not comparing this to FPS games, or even to most other third-person games.  I'm comparing this to other games that include 'parkour' as part of their sales package, such as assassin's creed or watch dogs.  This game plays more like a Mass Effect, minus the cover mechanics.

I don't consider Warframe the greatest controls/movement ever, but I wouldn't call it BAD either.

Go play Vanquish (fast paced TPS) or MGR (fast paced cyrborg ninja action).

Those are good examples of games that share similarities with Warframe, but with far better movement and control.

i kinda am getting tired of vaulting over thin air, being stuck moving one direction till i move a few feet and wall climbing a 2 inch surface. i do love the super fast wall jumps and vaulting over enemies (which only seems to happen in lag).

Well, I'd say there are 4 problems:

1)Underdone geometry of many objects coupled with oversaturation with these objects in new tilesets, making you stuck in a lot of invisible walls.

2)Poor recognition where to vault and where NOT to vault.

3)Inability to affect dive trajectory (hor. angle) by actions BEFORE jump. I'm fine with inability to affect the flight.

4)Sprinting from stairs forces you in air.

Well, I'd say there are 4 problems:

1)Underdone geometry of many objects coupled with oversaturation with these objects in new tilesets, making you stuck in a lot of invisible walls.

2)Poor recognition where to vault and where NOT to vault.

3)Inability to affect dive trajectory (hor. angle) by actions BEFORE jump. I'm fine with inability to affect the flight.

4)Sprinting from stairs forces you in air.

It's not just that.

When running, warframes turn/change direction with the grace and speed of a battleship.

All we're ever going to get is just more "flashy" and "cool" animations that are useless 90% of the time. Who needs responsive controls when you can have OMG SO EPIC jumps and wall runs that are slower than just regular running over the level. Coptering is the only good thing DE did with the movement system and it was an accident.

Honestly I'd like an option to turn off wall running, it's useless (except when you literally have to run up a wall to cross a tile).

All we're ever going to get is just more "flashy" and "cool" animations that are useless 90% of the time. Who needs responsive controls when you can have OMG SO EPIC jumps and wall runs that are slower than just regular running over the level. Coptering is the only good thing DE did with the movement system and it was an accident.

Honestly I'd like an option to turn off wall running, it's useless (except when you literally have to run up a wall to cross a tile).

You are not running on walls. You chain jumping from wall to another wall, mixing it with coptering

Never before was this more clear than now with the new event tileset.

HOLY CRUD I have rarely felt so little in control of my character in an action game.

It's like warframes weight 2 tons, have immense inertia, and need several seconds to switch from an animation to the other like rusty robots. Never mind the intrusive auto-rolling which makes me want to strangle whoever thought that was a good idea. Or the slow manual rolling which makes you more vulnerable than anything.

In an action game your character is supposed to react instantly to your every input:

-Instant changes in direction.

-Fast, intuitive air movement. If air control is limited (can be a design choice): air time must be kept at a minimum.

-Short, cancellable animations: no time wasted.

-Quick recovery from heavy hits.

-Full control of your character at any moment: never must the player feel like he's waiting for his character to finish an action.

I don't even want to call this Movement 2.0. If a movement rework comes, it'll be Movement 1.0, because so far movement just doesn't function properly yet.

OH MY GOD.

You cannot be more right.

Like when you jump from a not that high place and your character goes like sitting on the ground for 1.5 seconds while handling the fall and when it rolls.

OH, THE ROLLS. every time my character rolls i end up falling out of the map 90% of the times because the place where i'm supposed to land is so thin.

That stuff can literally drive me crazy, especially when i'm on 0 life support and surrounded by mobs and i have to get to extraction.

Also, when i want to climb up objects i end up jumping backwards 50% of the times because if i accidently hit my spacebar after i jumped onto the wall it just sends me back flying.

Edited by InForWar

You are not running on walls. You chain jumping from wall to another wall, mixing it with coptering

There's maybe 3 tiles that let you meaningfully utilize walls as a movement tool. Most of the time a simple jump>copter is all you need.

Most of the time that just sends you rocketing into the scenery, which you usually get stuck into.

This is exceptionally true for the current event tileset, and an issue on older ones too.

Edited by Caernarvon

I'm sometimes confused that with all the complainments about knockback (which takes controlls from you for several seconds and leaves you open to attacks) that DE got from players and with all the new enemies they introduced since the year this game went open beta, that they have not even TRIED to ease this frustrating mechanic on players by giving us some kind of controll over the knockback!

Why don't we have the option to press "space" (jump key) while on the ground or still in the air, in order to flip ourselves back up again quickly, rather than slowly and akwardly stand up again like an old men who fell out of his bed? It would certainly remove a lot of frustration from knockback attacks, because we would have the option to do something about it rather than be totaly powerless untill it's over.

Sure they gave us mods to reduce the chance of knockback, but mods should support gameplay mechanics, no substitue for non-existing ones.

I mean Loki performs such a move in the OPEN BETA TRAILER! It's like right there, someone at DE allready had that idea a year ago, but they never bothered about actualy putting it in the game.

There is no excuse for such a mechanic being missing. They have shown over the last year that they are able to put so many new bits into the game, they surely can do some extra work and improve controlls by that tiny bit.

Why the obsession with taking controll from the players? It's the same with all the new enemies which can leech away your energy. It's like they hate us players using our abilities or channeling ability so they introduce more and more unavoidable enemy effects which take that from us.

The parkour is just...bad, and rarely useful.

Seriously, for a space ninja game, the parkour is just plain bad.

The issue is also that levels are for most parts not designed to actualy give us any benefit from our horrizontal mobility. Levels are always filled with objects in the way and walls are almost always covered with ridges and objects. So we have next to no surface to wall run at, except for those parts which the devs highlight us with the white smears.

It's less about allowing players to find ways to use this ability for our advantage than just being a gimick to bypass barrier.

To make matters worse, all new maps we got are cluttered with objects and uneven surfaces we can get stuck on, extremely tight designed and having no walls we can reliably run on. It's like they don't even want us to wallrun anymore.

Edited by Othergrunty

Wut ? the parkour is the best thing in this game, practice makes perfect.

I really think WF is popular ONLY because of this parkour, so amazing what I can do.

Can't tell if sarcasm...

The parkour in this game is clunky and sticky.  Wall running feels unnatural.  There's a noticeable delay between hitting the space bar and actually jumping.  I can almost forgive direction change momentum, if it didn't mean my frame occasionally dancing in place trying to figure out if when moving towards the fourth wall if he/she should have the weapon over their left shoulder or their right shoulder.  I comparison, Mirror's Edge and Titanfall perform wall runs to a much more fluid and satisfying degree, and Titanfall is by the same guys that brought us CoD.  Hey, it might be the plebeian's go-to FPS, but at least those guys know how to make a fluid, responsive and quality product (these three facets are what made CoD so popular.)

Movement on the ground is alright, but when you get stuck sprinting or jumping and theres any sort of elevation change, there is usually ALOT of clunkyness in landing and trying not to roll when moving at a good clip, this is what I can't stand at times. No complaints about the rest of the game honestly this is my only pet peeve.