Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Smoother Transition Between Gun And Melee Mode

RespectTheInternet

So anyone who plays melee falls into three categories.

1: Quick melee all the time, guns are first priority

2. Prepped for melee from the beginning

3. The people who try to switch off between the two.

I'm one of the third types, and I hate the "roughness" in transitioning. I understand that activating melee mode creates separation between gunplay and swordplay, but I feel like if you quick melee 10 times madly as you kill everything around you, it would be smoother if your frame just enters melee mode automatically instead of having to sheathe your weapon, draw your gun, then press melee mode.

Now this could really screw with people who prefer quick melee only, so like channel toggling, make this option a toggled option. Something to improve the transition between the two.

Edit: Any thoughts on how this would be bad or good? Or just support with your bumps =D

Edited by RespectTheInternet

I don't think spamming E is the way to go. Quick melee for gun people is sort of a last resort or oh-shi button. You want to get back to your gun and reload, not end up with the wrong weapon out.

You've got a good point though. It's very clunky swapping to melee.

A lot of people want charge attacks back, and we can see that they could still work from the glaive/kestrel throws right from quick melee. Maybe that could be a way to do it. Bring back charge attack animations but don't give them any sort of damage boost and let them swap you to melee? Like after the charge attack you just keep the melee weapon in hand and you're switched.

Edited by VKhaun

I don't think spamming E is the way to go. Quick melee for gun people is sort of a last resort or oh-shi button. You want to get back to your gun and reload, not end up with the wrong weapon out.

You've got a good point though. It's very clunky swapping to melee.

A lot of people want charge attacks back, and we can see that they could still work from the glaive/kestrel throws right from quick melee. Maybe that could be a way to do it. Bring back charge attack animations but don't give them any sort of damage boost and let them swap you to melee? Like after the charge attack you just keep the melee weapon in hand and you're switched.

Thats why it would be a menu option, whether they want auto change on or leave it off to keep quick melee only.

Adding charge attacks back could be an option, but I don't think many would support it.

You should also add a 4th type:

-Those who constantly switch between Gun, Melee and Codex Scanner mode

It is so confusing particularly with the scanner when switching from melee:

(Assume default keys)

-Pressing F will switch to secondary from scanner (anything-scanner-secondary)

-Holding F switches to last used gun (or back to melee if switched to scanner from gun)

-Pressing scanner key does a simple revert (i.e. melee-scanner-melee or gun-scanner-gun)

As much as it irritates me, I kind of adapted to it. Besides, scott would just give his answer like in the last devstream; your solution is the speed holster aura

You should also add a 4th type:

-Those who constantly switch between Gun, Melee and Codex Scanner mode

It is so confusing particularly with the scanner when switching from melee:

(Assume default keys)

-Pressing F will switch to secondary from scanner (anything-scanner-secondary)

-Holding F switches to last used gun (or back to melee if switched to scanner from gun)

-Pressing scanner key does a simple revert (i.e. melee-scanner-melee or gun-scanner-gun)

As much as it irritates me, I kind of adapted to it. Besides, scott would just give his answer like in the last devstream; your solution is the speed holster aura

Which is why I went and got a Helios. Makes life 50% simpler.

I would much rather a quick block over a quick melee but that kind of ruins the purpose. I would support the return  of charge attacks. I know the speed holster Aura speeds up the transition of weapons

Speed Holster? That's just a bandaid mod as he likes to call them : /

Bring back charge attack animations but don't give them any sort of damage boost and let them swap you to melee? Like after the charge attack you just keep the melee weapon in hand and you're switched.

I'd like to know why I'd want to invest extra time in a heated battle for no tradeoff in damage, and why I'd choose to do this rather than switch to my melee weapon directly.  The charge attacks for some of the post-popular weapons, esp. heavy weapons, is often longer or at least on par with the weapon swap time; thus doing so is clunkier and more time-consuming than simply hitting what I have keybound to TAB to pull out the old Gram.

Edited by DalaiLlama

It definitely does irritate me that it takes a short time to switch to melee from guns when simply hitting the melee button pulls the weapons out instantly.

Speed holster is an option, but even so quick melee still somehow pulls the weapon out faster. An option to quick switch would be nice

The speed in changing weapons in general has always bothered me, and even the speed increase from speed holster doesn't make things much better. (also, spending your aura slot on speed holster is kind of pathetic)

It definitely does irritate me that it takes a short time to switch to melee from guns when simply hitting the melee button pulls the weapons out instantly.

Speed holster is an option, but even so quick melee still somehow pulls the weapon out faster. An option to quick switch would be nice

Exactly, from a game play perspective it's just weird.

I would really like to be able to simply bind each of my weapons to a separate key. It's not uncommon for me to switch to melee at the beginning of a mission and then want to switch to a gun for whatever reason. If I want my side-arm and it wasn't equipped when I switched to melee that means I need to sheath my weapon, draw my primary, and then sheath my primary and draw my secondary. It looks silly and eats up a considerable amount of time. If I had a button for each individual weapon I would much more capably get to the weapon I wanted in a way I consider realistic. 

I'd like to know why I'd want to invest extra time in a heated battle for no tradeoff in damage, and why I'd choose to do this rather than switch to my melee weapon directly.  The charge attacks for some of the post-popular weapons, esp. heavy weapons, is often longer or at least on par with the weapon swap time; thus doing so is clunkier and more time-consuming than simply hitting what I have keybound to TAB to pull out the old Gram.

Yes. If you assume they do it badly it would suck. I suggest they do it well, instead.

Edited by VKhaun

I would really like to be able to simply bind each of my weapons to a separate key. It's not uncommon for me to switch to melee at the beginning of a mission and then want to switch to a gun for whatever reason. If I want my side-arm and it wasn't equipped when I switched to melee that means I need to sheath my weapon, draw my primary, and then sheath my primary and draw my secondary. It looks silly and eats up a considerable amount of time. If I had a button for each individual weapon I would much more capably get to the weapon I wanted in a way I consider realistic. 

As in:

Z: Primary fire

X: Secondary Fire:

C: Melee attack

Sort of thing?

There are actually unassigned options for switching to specific weapons among the 3. The standard f to switch, hold f for melee is the default placeholder. Browse through the binding options and you will find exactly what you want is already in the game, its just not bound to any keys by default, you have to make the decisions about bindings.

+1 OP

as much as the devs have said this is not DMC, they could REALLY benefit from giving us faster animations and transitions from melee/shoot/jump/melee/shoot/jump/shoot/melee/etc

atm it is SOOOO clunky and many of the animations cannot be interrupted thus you are locked into finishing a swing and cannot jump away or dodge or avoid a group of mobs charging you

this falls into the movement/animations debate as well i think

The problem with switching is that it's slow and this doesn't promote player to switch weapon despite the fact that we have three weapons that can be customized to deal with different enemies. This clumsy ninja syndrome makes whatever loadout you equip useless since you opt to use single weapon for the entire match until it runs out of ammo. At that point, you switch the weapon not because you want to apply elemental proc but to collect ammo for your preferred weapon.

I have to say that Borderland 1-2 makes this weapon switching a more interesting mechanic. You see an enemies with shield and armor. You shoot electric gun to kill the shield then switch your weapon to deal corrosive damage to kill the armor. Borderlands 2 is even more interesting with slag element in the play which make players switch between 4 weapons all the time to kill the enemies faster.

Mass Effect 2 weapon switching uses a very short duration and doesn't feel clumsy at all. You can use power, shoot the gun, and cancel reload naturally.

DMC is pretty much action-oriented game that did the thing right. You switch weapon all the time to deal with different enemies (with corresponding color).

I see Warframe's weapon switching mechanic as a clumsy mechanic and speed holster is as bad as handspring. They should not exist in the first place. We should be able to switch weapon without any noticeable delay. We should be able to recover ourselves from knockdown state with a timely button pressing. To make the matter even worst, carry just one weapon doesn't grant any additional benefit!

Speed holster is as bad as handspring, IMO.

+1 OP

as much as the devs have said this is not DMC, they could REALLY benefit from giving us faster animations and transitions from melee/shoot/jump/melee/shoot/jump/shoot/melee/etc

atm it is SOOOO clunky and many of the animations cannot be interrupted thus you are locked into finishing a swing and cannot jump away or dodge or avoid a group of mobs charging you

this falls into the movement/animations debate as well i think

I recall that the DE compared it to DMC, but rushed it due to popular demand, leaving it in it's strange off state.

The problem with switching is that it's slow and this doesn't promote player to switch weapon despite the fact that we have three weapons that can be customized to deal with different enemies. This clumsy ninja syndrome makes whatever loadout you equip useless since you opt to use single weapon for the entire match until it runs out of ammo. At that point, you switch the weapon not because you want to apply elemental proc but to collect ammo for your preferred weapon.

I have to say that Borderland 1-2 makes this weapon switching a more interesting mechanic. You see an enemies with shield and armor. You shoot electric gun to kill the shield then switch your weapon to deal corrosive damage to kill the armor. Borderlands 2 is even more interesting with slag element in the play which make players switch between 4 weapons all the time to kill the enemies faster.

Mass Effect 2 weapon switching uses a very short duration and doesn't feel clumsy at all. You can use power, shoot the gun, and cancel reload naturally.

DMC is pretty much action-oriented game that did the thing right. You switch weapon all the time to deal with different enemies (with corresponding color).

I see Warframe's weapon switching mechanic as a clumsy mechanic and speed holster is as bad as handspring. They should not exist in the first place. We should be able to switch weapon without any noticeable delay. We should be able to recover ourselves from knockdown state with a timely button pressing. To make the matter even worst, carry just one weapon doesn't grant any additional benefit!

Speed holster is as bad as handspring, IMO.

A large part of why Type 1 exists, it's just too clumsy to move between different weapons without speed holster (which is a waste) and some of the new enemies aren't very melee friendly, so people end up just not using it.