Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stances From 1 Target Is Kind Of Ridiculous

FuzzyRamen

An easy fix for this in terms of stance mods is making 2 stances of every weapon group, one uncommon but easier for newer players to find, the other rarer.  

Currently there are a couple melee weapons out there that only have 1 stance type, and it's rare, making it ridiculous for those that want to use that weapon but basically can't.  A second more common stance will solve the issue.

Here is another problem.. even some(swirling tiger says hi) uncommon ones, are hard to get. In terms of stance mods, they really should be just gained by using said class weapon to the max rank or to be included when you craft said class weapon or make them alert rewards(in addition of drop loot) or capture(not void)/rescue rewards.

No, just the ones you want to play with. Like this one. Is that really such a hard concept to grasp?

The claws are functionally no different than dual swords, and this newest bladed whatever is the same thing.

You want it because it's new and "cool" but you don't need it to progress through the game.

It's a luxury, and luxuries can be as rare as the devs want. In fact, the rarer they are, the "cooler" they are.

Diablo, Borderlands, Slot machines. You get the basics to be able to progress, but the stuff you want is rare.

Is that really such a hard concept to grasp?

I find the obsession with making EVERYTHING a mod dropped by RNG from enemies a little disturbing. I get that it's an important mechanism, and that it saves work, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to implement everything. Stances in particular is a problem because the most logical way to put them into a game is to make your character learn them, but the current system is as far from that as you can get.

Considering that stances are new combos, I was thinking of using the currently existing combo system to progressively unlock new stances. Since stance combos are split into separate attacks, we should be able to unlock the attacks of the combo.

For illustration purposes, let's say that a stance combo is made up of six attacks. Achieving a combo counter (the one that gives you a damage bonus) will contribute points that will progressively unlock the attacks of the stance combo. Let's say the first two or three attacks in the stance combo are the first milestone, where you need 100 points to unlock them, then each subsequent attack will be its own milestone and take 40 more points or whatever. Getting, a 1.5x multiplier for the combo counter will give you 1 point. If you achieve the 2.0x multiplier, that will contribute 2 points, etc. I'm sure the numbers will need to be rigorously balanced but I hope the idea is fine.

A nice thing about this is that the stances can still be mods, and the level of the mod would show you how many attacks from that combo you know. Getting the mods is what needs to be changed.

The last thing that I want to mention is that the number of points to unlock each stance can vary. Rarity will still exist but only in the sense that it will take more points, and thus, more time, to unlock the stance. It shouldn't require any RNG whatsoever. Melee 2.0 should be accessible to everyone and it currently isn't because of ridiculous RNG.

The RNG drop is stil discussed a lot in the forums. I don´t have big problems with that but I can tell that:

-Stances have to be rare to be more like a price for playing.

-The crimson dervish stance only drops from the bombard and you don´t have them spawning in big amounts like the most of the other units, this makes it a really hard to get mod.

-I´ve got most of my rare stances by transmutation: Stalking fan x2. tranquil cleave, decisive judgement, brutal tide x2, gleaming talon, gnashing payara x3, bleeding willow, pointed wind, seismic palm x2 and cleaving whirlwind.

-Rare stances from enemies: gnashing payara, bleeding willow,flailing branch, iron phoenix, crossing snakes and crimson dervish(sold this last one because I thought i will get it again, bad decision)

As you see it´s easier to get stances by transmutation than from enemies, that was my experience and I think somehow that players focus so much in grinding and they get mad because they bother a lot and that´s not good.

I don´t think RNG has to be taken off but maybe fixed so people don´t stand weeks farming for nothing, and I am talking about the crimson dervish and gleaming talon issue. But if DE can explain to us if the system works well, i don´t have any problem listening to what they have to say.

On the other hands it would be cool to have some kind of prize type way to get mods somehow creating more variety in the ways of getting them, for example:

-Cicero crisis mods are dropped from Vor.

-Nightamare mods in nightmare missions.

-The secret spots in the void.

Stuff like that is still RNG based somehow but it is funnier than hunting bombards and sniper crewman and when I finish a nightmare I fell more happy and rewarded because of the challenge and the fact that I am getting a sure mod after the mission, it doesn´t matter if it isn´t Blaze, Shred or hammer shot.

I keep seeing, pretty much non stop, the argument "mod X is too rare". Ok, don't release rabid wolverines at me I'm not suggesting that what I am about to suggest should happen, I'm just asking if it would create a smother acquisition curve, especially for new players, and anyway, DE is already implementing it in a similar form:

* Have "lesser" versions of more existing cards (DE already mentioned one, being Serration, with less slots)

We might get a common version of a Stance with slightly reduced stats, still allowing us to get extra mod points in a weapon, we get the attack animations, yada yada, and we when we "fuse" it with a rarer version, we get more energy from it than it would normally get from a mod of that rank.

Do this for a bunch of things like Overextended and so on, to get new players used to card combos, then later they can get the "proper ones".

Basically, do people think that doing the "lesser card" thingy is bad on such a scale? Do people think it would balance, or would it create more problems?

It's 3 am here, I'm just throwing this out there.