Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(New Stealth Quest System Idea) Technology Contacts, A New Way Of Obtaining Unique Blueprints.

grillv20

Just something random I thought of off the top of my head. If its been posted here before I haven't seen it. Basically since we have a quest mode incoming and this is what I thought up. Hope you enjoy.

What if you chose to actually go out and solo missions on certain planets for various blueprints to different faction specific weaponry and technology? The keyword here being SOLO. This sort of thing would cause headaches with squad combat.

Quest Idea:

What if there were these contacts that we could pay credits to for information on technology being developed in

our solar system? We could go into these ships/bases all stealth-like and search for the blueprints. These blueprints could quite literally be anything that the devs would want it to be without going out of the way to change lore seeing as we can build entire prime warframes by doing JUST the void. Hacking terminals and playing some crazy minigames across a ship. Not specifically having any set destination you had to go or anything of that nature because god knows how utterly boring the game can be when its holding your hand every step of the way. Give it a stealthy feel and let the players explore their way around these enemy installations and uncover these blueprints or whatever they may find locked away in whatever these facilities. I will go into this further later on. WHAT IF THE CONTACT WAS DARVO?! JUST SAYIN.

It could go like this:

1. Player wants to go "treasure hunting"

2. Player flies his ship over to the contact

3. Player pays contact to set up a various heists in a given planet / sector for a certain amount of time. (Can do multiple at a time of course given you have the credits to support it,)

4. The new solar "wheel" menu pops up and there will be an emblem above a planet that can indicate where the operations will be happening at.

5. When an operation is ready for whatever planets you have operations being set up in the emblem for that planet will begin to flash.

6. When you open the planet and get a view of all the sectors surrounding it you will see which mission it is exactly by some sort of color coding or an icon or whatever the dev team decides looks prettiest. Click it.

7. A menu pops up that prompts the player asking them if they want to proceed with special operations or regular or nightmare mode.

8. *loading intensifies*

9. Play the mission

Basically once you're in it would be a game of stealth and the deciding factors for the mission's success would ride on how stealthy you were during a mission. A set number of alarm cancels that the contact could provide to you remotely. After these alarm cancels were gone the systems go into full lockdown making further data-retrieval impossible. When a base is on full alert you may not hack into their systems etc. You could travel around the installation freely hacking your way into computers and retrieving blueprints.  Missions should definitely have a finite amount of information to steal before you leave for extraction. There should always ALWAYS be a no enemy respawn mechanic for this sort of mode until the ship was on full alert. You don't want to be hacking a computer that you spent 5 minutes carefully securing for some random dude that decided to walk in the door and be like "HEY YOU, WHAT'RE YOU DOIN!?" Then he runs for the panic button and you're boned.

Outline of the mode being(above wall of text): 

3 alerts cancellations is what you get from the Lotus. Once those are gone and the ship goes on alert you must extract.

Varying amount of information to gather in the mission (varying amount of blueprints available to steal.)

Can choose to leave for extraction at any time. Just gather as many blueprints as you can without blowing the mission.

If you fail a mission then its gone until another variant pops up later on the star chart.

Basically my whole idea with this was to build a system that wasn't exactly the most complicated thing but another system to encourage active stealth that is both rewarding and replayable. This may be a good way to explain how Tenno got a hold of all these fancy weapon blueprints that they have available to them through research in their dojos! Hell, they could throw in some of those BPs and auras that don't go floating around in alerts as much as people would be hoping for. (potatoes anyone?) Plus it would give people that have a ton of money just laying around to throw at Darvo(my fictional contact guy.) You really really want those BPs? Time to search them out. Really really want that Vauban? Time to go on a hunt sir. Darvo has secrets and hes willing to share them for a price!

_________________________ Extra Thoughts _____________________________________________________

edit: An extra idea I had with this would be to put guaranteed assassination marks out on the player for successfully retrieving blueprints/data from missions. Allow these marks to stack depending on where you're doing missions at. With how the assassinations work right now theres only Alad V to represent the corpus. I think another type of corpus assassin would have to be developed for this to be more lore accurate since Alad V is a traitor to the corpus and all. I don't think infested should get this sort of treatment though, not sure how they could pull this off and present it to us in a lore friendly way.

Also Renegade343 had mentioned in his post that he would like to see tilesets that had multiple routes for stealth play in this sort of mode.

edit2: The new assassins for the corpus could easily be the new hyenas that they put in recently. BUT ON CRACK 

New uses for the Scanner

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/243942-new-uses-for-the-scannera-total-re-imagining/

something to go along with this system to enrich it a bit

Edited by grillv20

Maybe if it were carried on the back or something? 

But why would enemies need datamasses to store data? 

If it is in the future, then can we just have implants to retrieve/steal the data within (i.e. no need to hold datamasses)? The port can be a small power core for the data console. 

But why would enemies need datamasses to store data? 

If it is in the future, then can we just have implants to retrieve/steal the data within (i.e. no need to hold datamasses)? The port can be a small power core for the data console. 

yeah pretty much lol

All I know is that the game would benefit from having something cool like this in. This game seriously lacks various game modes that encourages different styles of play. Everything for the most part is run and gun and its just bleh to me at this point. I can't be the only one that thinks this.

All I know is that the game would benefit from having something cool like this in. This game seriously lacks various game modes that encourages different styles of play. Everything for the most part is run and gun and its just bleh to me at this point. I can't be the only one that thinks this.

If it was parkour-like run and gun, then I will play the hell out of it. 

If it was parkour-like run and gun, then I will play the hell out of it. 

They should build their parkour system into something awesome and give encouragement into using it to benefit damage output or end bonuses or something. Something else other than what we have now.

They should build their parkour system into something awesome and give encouragement into using it to benefit damage output or end bonuses or something. Something else other than what we have now.

I would like to order one set of Mirror's Edge-type parkour, with a mixture of Warframe's TPS. 

That should make movement feel more smoother and allow players to achieve different ways of run and gun. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read what you posted and never really thought about how it would be implemented as an event.

It would definitely be interesting to see a guaranteed assassination mark put on you after you got away successfully. Maybe make these marks stack when doing multiple of this missions. Something along the lines of them learning about poking through their networks and finding information that you shouldn't have. Make the assassinations based around them coming to snuff you out before you turn their technology against them. I'm not super creative when it comes to dialogue but I feel that they could do a good job with that if they chose to use the idea. 

I do like the idea of splitting the damage between shields and health for the fire and poison procs you had mentioned. 

edited the main post to reflect this idea I just had.

Edited by grillv20

I read what you posted and never really thought about how it would be implemented as an event.

It would definitely be interesting to see a guaranteed assassination mark put on you after you got away successfully. Maybe make these marks stack when doing multiple of this missions. Something along the lines of them learning about poking through their networks and finding information that you shouldn't have. Make the assassinations based around them coming to snuff you out before you turn their technology against them. I'm not super creative when it comes to dialogue but I feel that they could do a good job with that if they chose to use the idea. 

I do like the idea of splitting the damage between shields and health for the fire and poison procs you had mentioned. 

The point of this event is a multitude of things: 

1. Revamp Spy and Deception missions to make them worth something. 

2. Add legitimately difficult enemies for players to challenge them. 

3. Bring out every known bad character we see, making it more immersive in the fact that each and every bad character is working towards killing off us. 

4. Make Spy and Deception missions do something after the event. 

I was planning to just introduce them gradually, but then I thought to myself, "Why not meld them all together, add some lore, then ship is as a memorable event?". So thus explains the creation of this concept (and the information is the development of the Eximus for the event, which we then change the data fragments to corrupt the process to stall the development). 

As for assassinations, why not? Have it when the player reaches 360 points, as though marking them as a true threat. 

EDIT: And yes, we could have the blueprints rewarded for Spy Missions.

Edited by Renegade343

The point of this event is a multitude of things: 

1. Revamp Spy and Deception missions to make them worth something. 

2. Add legitimately difficult enemies for players to challenge them. 

3. Bring out every known bad character we see, making it more immersive in the fact that each and every bad character is working towards killing off us. 

4. Make Spy and Deception missions do something after the event. 

I was planning to just introduce them gradually, but then I thought to myself, "Why not meld them all together, add some lore, then ship is as a memorable event?". So thus explains the creation of this concept (and the information is the development of the Eximus for the event, which we then change the data fragments to corrupt the process to stall the development). 

As for assassinations, why not? Have it when the player reaches 360 points, as though marking them as a true threat. 

Yeah, your idea is good and definitely builds on the core of the game in the sense where we would have better maps for stealth. If the bosses themselves were to come and hunt you down then I would prefer to see them in a more badass light. Have a totally different version of them than what we're used. Vay Hek could potentially be really epic. I could imagine him gathering a bunch of heavy units to take you out. Or Vor showing up with the gustrag 3 to get the job done. Have it so if they managed to silence you during your mission that you would have the blueprint taken from you or something along those lines. This probably wouldn't be a problem if you were able to get the blueprint started in your foundry though. Just something to think about.

Either way, my whole idea is something I would want seen in the actual quest system and not just an overhaul on older gameplay modes. I would want these to be something thrown in the game as something you would have to actually go out of your way to do instead of a mission type found on the new start chart for progression sake. Thats not saying I wouldn't like there to be stealth outside of this system of course. I think it should be optional everywhere. I just wish there was more incentive on doing it.

Edited by grillv20

Yeah, your idea is good and definitely builds on the core of the game in the sense where we would have better maps for stealth. If the bosses themselves were to come and hunt you down then I would prefer to see them in a more badass light. Have a totally different version of them than what we're used. Vay Hek could potentially be really epic. I could imagine him gathering a bunch of heavy units to take you out. Or Vor showing up with the gustrag 3 to get the job done.

That would be viable for the current bosses (until we hit the speed-bump with the other members of the Board, but we could just use the current boss of the planet [Jackal for Venus, for example]), but it will have to be at a bit higher score to build up to this moment (and maybe the rewards too).