Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Smg Where Are They?

ShelbyTrooper

Some guys will say:

"the game already have SMG!!! the furis, Afuris and the viper!!!"

And i will say:"these weapon are automatic sidearms, like G18, NOT SMGs!!!"

When i say SMG i mean, a weapon like the MP5, MP7, MP9, H&K UMP 45, PP Bison, the Tompson Typewriter, P90, AKS 74U, G36, PDW-R, and PP200.

So, there will be SMGs???

I think sub machine guns in modern combat are designed to fill a niche where you need superior rate of fire and maneuverability/compactness and ease of use.

It seems that with all these advances in the far future that you can get A LOT of firepower out of a small package. I don't know if you've looked at a Braton but they seem very very small.

That being said, I would always love more weapons but they have to offer me something different beyond just looks in order for me to get excited. How would you make the 'SMGs' different than the current Rifle models?

To be extremely technical, the Furis IS an SMG, what defines an SMG is a select-fire carbine that fires pistol rounds. The Furis has a carbine length barrel and fits all other categories.

Also note the weapon is called the PDR (Personal defense rifle, which is a PDW, a weapon classified to fire a larger or specialized round rather than a pistol round, not an SMG.) Battlefield had licencing issues with the weapon and so they messed with the name a bit.

Edited by AscendantWyvern

To be extremely technical, the Furis IS an SMG, what defines an SMG is a select-fire carbine that fires pistol rounds. The Furis has a carbine length barrel and fits all other categories.

Also note the weapon is called the PDR (Personal defense rifle, which is a PDW, a weapon classified to fire a larger or specialized round rather than a pistol round, not an SMG.) Battlefield had licencing issues with the weapon and so they messed with the name a bit.

tbh, the Furis/Viper are more like machine pistols, they shoot pistol rounds (12 damage on furis) and are extremely compact.

tbh, the Furis/Viper are more like machine pistols, they shoot pistol rounds (12 damage on furis) and are extremely compact.

You are correct, and the line between SMG and Machine Pistols are drawing thinner and thinner each day. This is due to both using pistol rounds and the ever shortening length of barrels for compact sizes. Personally, I see anything with a magwell outside of the grip, it's not a pistol. (Or maybe the Furis' extension is simply a grip, who knows.) Note, this is simply personal viewing :P

However, if you ask me, the inclusion of an SMG would be a redundant one due to both the Furis, Afuris, and Viper.

Edited by AscendantWyvern

I can understand the desire to have them, but what use case would they fill that isn't already taken up by an auto-rifle or auto-pistol?

Close range alternative to rifles with less accuracy but higher overall DPS? Like most SMG's are characterized in games. Abysmal at long range, excellent at close range.

However, if you ask me, the inclusion of an SMG would be a redundant one due to both the Furis, Afuris, and Viper.

I personally feel our rifles selection is pretty spartan for all-rounders. SMG's/PDW's can fill the role for short-medium range for those that don't want to use a shotgun or a sniper. Cutting those sections out, we have the Braton's which vary in their usefulness, the Gorgon which is extremely ineffective at point to point shooting due to the spool up and the Boltor which requires you to adjust your aim to lead and at range, the drop. I would like to see a medium damage, high rate of fire, fast reloading and semi-accurate SMG/PDW implemented for my main slot. But then again, lots want to see the Corpus laser rifle in our hands so...meh.

I'd have to agree that the inclusion of SMG's as their own category would be somewhat redundant given the current state of things, but I can certainly see room to add a more P90-esque weapon to the lineup as a sub category of rifle, much like we have a sniper rifle and a bow both classed as rifles.

It would essentially be a less accurate Braton with a higher RoF, perhaps make it look more compact, play with the clip size/reload speed etc.

Well the only thing i can think of is smgs would have the highest fire rate, they should be useful close range and suck at long too for example.

Unless you control your fire rate, in which case they should remain effective at medium ranges. Seriously, what don't dev's get about this. SMG's are fully automatic carbines. The majority only loose their long range accuracy with sustained fire.

Edited by 11.11.11

i think, SMGs like in as the M-12 Locust, M-25 Hornet, Geth Plasma SMG or a N7 Huricane would be nice.

(all of the SMG i mentioned are from Mass effect Universe)

I play Mass effect and use SMGs a lot, and use SMGs in CS GO too and i am good with a MP7. in the other versions of CS i use MP5 or UMP45.

If you Play CoD or Battlefield, you know and feel the diference between a SMG and a Automatic Pistol (G18 for example).

A G18 and MP5 aren't equal.

My Braton looks like a box with two handles. My Gorgon looks like a Russian submarine with cancer. My Boltor looks like it was designed by Orange Counter Choppers. I see hardly any solid references to real-world gun categories or similarities. Where's the need for SMGs not covered by existing weapons? As long as rifles have no "turning speed" properties, SMGs are simply worse rifles.

PS: Shotguns do high damage/short range already, eh?

Edited by Ced23Ric

Some guys will say:

"the game already have SMG!!! the furis, Afuris and the viper!!!"

And i will say:"these weapon are automatic sidearms, like G18, NOT SMGs!!!"

When i say SMG i mean, a weapon like the MP5, MP7, MP9, H&K UMP 45, PP Bison, the Tompson Typewriter, P90, AKS 74U, G36, PDW-R, and PP200.

So, there will be SMGs???

With the Nerfs/HATE on rifles i dont think they make a SMG soon and if they make it is going to be too slow to be called a SMG.

We need a rifle buff, not a new line of redundant weapons. That's not to say their won't be any, just classify them under pistols since real SMGs shoot those bullets.

What about both? Like, a "rifle buff" and new rifles / smg's ? ( I know, this sounds a lil greedy )

And with "classify as pistols" you mean, the slot which will be used for it? I could be ok with that ..

Edited by calgon

There's something that you all shouldn't forget, SMG's are not smaller, full-automatic carbines.

Yes, they are smaller and reload faster. Yes they have quit a high rate of fire and are very efficent at Close to medium range.

However, Smg's and PDW's are also using pistol ammo only. And we're already struggeling killing stuff with our rifles, because why not just grab a Hek and 1-Shot everything?

I don't see much use for Smg's in the game, but I definatly think there should be Carbines which fill in this role, while using Rifle Ammo.

What I do like however, would be a full-automatic silenced weapon that is dealing extra damage as long as the enemy is unaware of your presence.

Of course the weapon would loose a lot of advantages as soon as you're getting spotted because you'll need to kill things with Special Silencer Ammo that is dealing less damageand travels slower with more dropdown. (Might want to bring a good sidearm then.)

The machine pistols suit nicely as reliable sidearms, but they aren't replacements for what an SMG is, a powerful close-mid range weapon that fires fast and reloads fast but lacking clip size. The braton rifle is decent, with some tuning it could also be a better weapon, but it does not fill in the the role for an SMG. SMG's are useful because they can be used in a pinch, are versatile in close situations, and often come with a lot of ammunition to start out with.

An SMG is a much needed addition to Warframes weapon pool, a reskin of a weapon, or the addition of mods will not do to substitute for it. As far as the silenced weapon idea goes, that should be a mod maybe, but not built into a weapon like this automatically.

Why exactly? A sub machine gun is a short ranged, pistol ammo firing gun with a smaller magazine and lower cyclic rate of fire than an assault rifle. There is a reason the only people who use them anymore are cops.

LoL No.

the 5.57x28 is just barley a pistol cartridge. And most smg's fire P+ ammo which should never ever be used in a 'pistol'

Smaller magazine's than assualt rifles? You're lucky to find more than 30 rounders for AR's. SMG's tend to have 30+

And a lower cyclic rate of fire? Uhm. No. Assualt rifles tend to have the lower rates to balance out their higher recoil impulse.

Only people who use them are cops? Uhm. Counter terrorism - special ops - PDW's for engineers and support staff - and some dedicated squads in the armed forces.