Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Scariest Thing You've Ever Seen In Gaming

EliteRider

Hunter/Regenerator/ Ubermorph in Dead Space serie.

I played all the 3 parts and still freak out when see them (untill i found the Hand Cannon of course :V).

First reaction when i encounterd Hunter in Dead Space 1 is (my friend were sit next to me): "IT'S NOT DEAD MAN!!! IT'S NOT!!!"

First reaction was scary. Not so much afterwards. Dead Space 3 was a walk in the park, though. Monsters would just pop-out of the snow, or just charge at you. No scares, nothing. The entire game was a romance novel more than anything.

Two things back when I was a kid:

One was when Resident Evil 2 first came out, when you first see that licker on the ceiling... I turned off my Playstation and didn't complete it for years to come.

The other was later on, a game known as Fatal Frame; It was an import at the time (oh those days) but it was terrifying. I was quite happy when they released it over here as 'Project Zero', the sequels weren't much to speak about though.

• 2 weeks later...

Vanark Ace Trooper - The part were you were on the abandoned space ship and behind one of the doors was Vashta Nerada a skeleton in a spacesuit that fell forwards.

Frag, that scared me more than anything...

BTW - anyone remember that game? Almost anyone i know can`t remember it. Even my cousin who used to be better than me at it...

Vanark Ace Trooper - The part were you were on the abandoned space ship and behind one of the doors was Vashta Nerada a skeleton in a spacesuit that fell forwards.

"Hey, who turned out the lights?"

The first time you encounter Dr. Mercer's Hunter in Dead Space. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well... Because of liking to watch Markiplier, i'm scared of animatronics, though i never did see one in reality (if they do exist) and hopefully never will. T_T

Edit: Seriously though, what's in Five nights at Freddy's is the stuff of nightmares! Who the heck would use these scary looking - suppose to be cute - man sized animal robots as an amusement for kids in a restaurant!?! And then all of a sudden at night, those damn robots become merciless killers that kill the first human they see and creep him/her out before going for the kill and no one is aware of this excepte the night security guards that work there! They should destroy those terrifying things when they have the chance, not leave them back stage and let'em kill people!

Edited by EliteRider

The only horror game I've tried (And I swear it will be my last)

Is that Survivors one, where I nearly fell off the chair when it popped in my face.

It's Slenderman. A Creeypasta submission that had kids go into a frenzy, and originated a bunch of mods and titles of no real importance, which died out quickly enough, about the same most unoriginal, non-scary idea.

Was gonna say Giygas, but in fact Itoi, the guy who was in charge of the game is scarier.

It takes a certain kind of man to put a twisted, insane, swirling bloody skull that goes all over the screen and is seemingly invincible at the end of a game that looks like its for kids. Plus it spews out rape innuendos because he watched a movie with rape when he was a kid. itoi plz.

Granted though, its one of the best final bosses ever.

• 2 months later...

How can deactivated - dismantled man forcefully stuffing machines still work?! I'm kind of glad i didn't get this game, cuz those robots, including the new ones in the second game are not robots i wonna be close to. Heck if that restaurant actually existed, i'd never go there... NEVER! T_T

• 4 weeks later...

What's so scary about Lavendar town? It pretty much look like any normal town in Pokemon.

Really, the gameplay in Lavender town wasn't scary at all. If anything, it was the music and maybe the color. That shade of purple was off from other areas. I think most of it was that you're exploring the world of pokemon and kicking the hell out of Team Rocket with no consequence. Then, you get to Lavender and find out that TR kills pokemon. For a kids game, that's fairly dark.

Public lobbies in Borderlands 2.

Dude, BL1 pub lobbies are so much worse. All the possible problems of BL2, but the modding scene is so much stronger, and viral missions are such a pain. Still, I love the game so much.

Edited by billthebetta

I don't know. I don't really play horror games (or a lot of games with much horror in them in general, but I'm about to play Cry of Fear co-op) but I think some of the worst scares (mainly because they were loud jumpscares) were some of the Gmod horror maps I've played. My friend and I used to play them a lot, and I remember he told me to go first down some stairs in a haunted resort which, incidentally, had a rather large screaming face come out of nowhere when you went halfway. He was aware that there was one, and I still remember crouching next to a corner saying "I hate you. I hate this. I hate Gmod. I hate everything" moments after it happened.

If we want to talk about atmosphere, I'm going with the first time I played Ravenholm in Half Life 2. It's just... such a change from the rest of the game. Turning a corner and finding a headcrab screeching as it leaps at your face, being low on ammo or away from any props as three headcrab zombies shamble towards you... I was young when I played it, so forgive my pansiness.

I'm going with the first time I played Ravenholm in Half Life 2. It's just... such a change from the rest of the game. Turning a corner and finding a headcrab screeching as it leaps at your face, being low on ammo or away from any props as three headcrab zombies shamble towards you... I was young when I played it, so forgive my pansiness.

No need to be sorry, when i played the demo for the first time it only has half of Ravenholm and the beginning of the game, i was scared too (i wasen't used to ugly - creepy monsters in games back then) but not as bad as what happened to me in Rayman 3.

Hunter/Regenerator/ Ubermorph in Dead Space serie.

I played all the 3 parts and still freak out when see them (untill i found the Hand Cannon of course :V).

First reaction when i encounterd Hunter in Dead Space 1 is (my friend were sit next to me): "IT'S NOT DEAD MAN!!! IT'S NOT!!!"

In DS 1 it once bugged, and got into the elevator with me...

"ELEVATORS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE @(*()$ SAFE ZONES!!!!!"

Also - Kendra had started talking to me, and didn`t react to Isaac`s dying noises... and the growling/gurgling the Hunter makes...

I don`t get freaked by normal necromorphs, but I still shudder while replaying Hunter/Ubermorph parts. Oh, and the Regenerators in DS3 the Terra what`s-it`s-name...

I think I`m more afraid of the fact that`s it`s unstoppable. It could be a cute bunny, and I`d still freak out...