Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thank You For Watching Devstream #32!

[DE]Rebecca

YES FINALLY they've talked about knockdown recovery :D

*manly tears*

When I heard it,I instantly thought about you man! :D

tumblr_mn9uf9q7hI1rnvb0co1_500.gif

(Can't find the link to your thread though...)

Edited by unknow99

RE:Mod System:

So this is just a random idea, but what if DE took the Aura/Stance-designate slot concept and ran with it; so that, instead of a flat 8-mod/10-mod panel of any composition, the loadout was partitioned out by mod type?

This is a quick mock-up of what I'm thinking about, as applied to Warframe Mod Loadout:

WFmodsetupmockup.png

The way I figure it, the main problem with "required" mods is that they are "required"; and that is an issue largely because, at present, limitations to mod loadout—total of 8/10 mods per loadout, energy capacity—essentially "promote" samey-generic loadouts built around a handful of essential mods (well, that and RNG, but I'll get to that). Other loadouts are absolutely possible, and it is by no means impossible to venture outside of that "comfort zone"; but this loadout scheme does seem to promote a very generic "one size fits all" approach to loadouts. I suppose it's not precisely that those loadouts are the best approach; it's that they are the most clearly-beneficial, with the most apparent improvements.

My thinking with a partitioned loadout, is that (at present) most players' loadouts are fairly heavily minmaxed; usually with an emphasis on one element of the Warframe/weapon in question (power efficiency/duration/range/strength for frames, crit/status/fire-rate on weapons), and (in the late game) usually is limited primarily by the number of mod slots available. In my experience, the mod choices are largely determined by the desired aspect to be focused on (e.g., energy for nekros when farming an enemy type for a mod drop, stamina and anti-CC mods when ranking a melee weapon, loot "helpers" when hunting argon), and a number of mods don't see much use simply because they aren't superior in utility to the ones I have equipped for these purposes, whilst mod slots are at a premium. The way I figure it, partitioning out sub-panels makes energy capacity retain its import in the late game (as more slots means 60 capacity in potato-ed gear doesn't cover everything even with multiple formas), while allowing for more variable loadouts by making these other utility mods not compete for space with simple base-stat-amplifiers. Also, by classifying mods so that competition for space is kept within certain categories (depending on how the partitioning is done), this retains the tactical nature of determining which of each type of mod are desired, even without the aforementioned utility/stat competition (e.g., still have to decide whether to have Fortitude or Master Thief, but Master Thief and Fortitude no longer are in direct competition with Vitality or Redirection).

Thoughts?

RE:RNG: Unrelated to the above idea, maybe certain core mods (Redirection, Vitality, Serration, etc.), could be added to the market for purchase using credits?.

Edited by DZ1JMeyer

*longest post I've sat down to read in a while*

I like some of the points in your post, particularly the misunderstanding of the issue, and the suggestion that weapons actually gain strength with levels like the warframes do.  This alone could take care of several "required" weapon mods, which would remove the irritation of RNG being the sole factor in the power of your weapon.  You would also have more freedom to experiment with the wide variety of mods already in the game.

I still believe that the entire game is built on a flawed foundation (one that denies or grants access to customization options, playstyles, and progression based on the roll of a dice), but the combat can be fun at times if you manage to find that sweet spot of a planet where your favorite weapon is still viable and you aren't crippled from lacking some mod or another.

I've almost ceased to progress entirely since I've given up grinding for anything.  I don't want to play the same planet over and over because that's the only place this mod drops, or because that's where the latest grind-fest of an event is at.  After 15 times in a row, I don't go back for weeks. Maybe a month.

Despite my frustrations with every game system outside of actually shooting something, the stupid game is just so darn pretty that I just have to come back for a couple rounds sometimes, and the lore keeps me at the forums hoping it will somehow, someday become fun for me to play.  Right now it's a complete chore after just three runs.  But at least those three runs are fun.

Edited by t3hsquirr3l

I like some of the points in your post, particularly the misunderstanding of the issue, and the suggestion that weapons actually gain strength with levels like the warframes do. This alone could take care of several "required" weapon mods, which would remove the irritation of RNG being the sole factor in the power of your weapon. You would also have more freedom to experiment with the wide variety of mods already in the game.

I still believe that the entire game is built on a flawed foundation (one that denies or grants access to customization options, playstyles, and progression based on the roll of a dice), but the combat can be fun at times if you manage to find that sweet spot of a planet where your favorite weapon is still viable and you aren't crippled from lacking some mod or another.

I've almost ceased to progress entirely since I've given up grinding for anything. I don't want to play the same planet over and over because that's the only place this mod drops, or because that's where the latest grind-fest of an event is at. After 15 times in a row, I don't go back for weeks. Maybe a month.

Despite my frustrations with every game system outside of actually shooting something, the stupid game is just so darn pretty that I just have to come back for a couple rounds sometimes, and the lore keeps me at the forums hoping it will somehow, someday become fun for me to play. Right now it's a complete chore after just three runs. But at least those three runs are fun.

^ agreed, my main frustration with the game isn't the mod system ppl keep wanting to change but rather the fact the game is based on chance. If there was a more concrete way to obtain mods, i think a lot less ppl would be upset. Bc I play solo a lot due to Internet, progress in game takes 2x as long (if not more) since progression is based off RNG in resources and mods. I find the game Extremely fun and has Amazing potential, I just don't like how you have the same chance to obtain a mod regardless of mastery rank, level of weapon/frame, or time invested in game.

I'm hoping the quest system they introduce will provide a better way to get mods, ie higher level you are, the more difficult quests you can go on, to get either a better chance of getting desired mod or getting mod as reward at the end of mission

PS Why does de keep saying they are hesitant on doing some things/ ideas because ppl have put money and time into them? The game's in Beta, DE should do what they want if it improves the game and brings more ppl to play.

Anyway, thanks DE for being awesome, and having live streams at all.

Edited by imaxium