Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Diversion - A Mission Type Concept

Krion112

This a mix between another one of those things I thought up in them midst of playing the game and what I thought might be in the game before I ever played it.

The mission type is called Diversion.

Effectively, the Tenno is hijacking a ship and using it, likely remotely being flown by the Lotus, to get the attention of and divert other factions' ships from their posts, like disorganizing a blockade or whatever.

The intro to the mission would display the Liset docking with the ship, and releasing the Tenno, like a reverse end-mission sequence.

In play, the player is deployed aboard a small group of tiles, with the limitation of always being on a ship-type tileset, like a Corpus Ship or Grineer Galleon, maybe even a decommissioned Tenno ship, and is immediately tasked with activating the ship via control panel. Once activated, the player will be put in a Defense/Survival hybrid situation.

During the Diversion mode, each wave would bring new tiles would be attached to various access points (somewhere between Eight and Ten access points would spawn, in order to prevent all players of being able to be 'Hallway Heroes'). These would symbolize enemy boarding vessels. At the completion of a wave, they would despawn at the conclusion of the player consensus to accept the reward and leave, or stay and fight. However, if a player is on board one of these ships after the consensus, they're given a few seconds before the life-support fails on that particular tile, which would have an extremely fast rate of drain on the player's vitals, making them work quickly to loot and leave the ship, as well as preventing abusers. Once back on the starting ship, a small interval separates the despawning of old tiles and spawning of new tiles.

Each new boarding ship brings with it new, unopened lockers and unopened crates, encouraging players to access the boarding ship and to loot.

Enemy scaling would progress similarly to Defense missions: With each passing wave, the ranks on units increase and new units may arrive with the next waves. The boarding ships the enemies would arrive in would be decently sized to allow a large number of enemies to enter your ship. To prevent overwhelming spawning, not all boarding ships will open at once. As well, boarding ships may leave and arrive even in the middle of a wave.

To keep gameplay varied, however, each wave has a chance to bring with it a random challenge:

Life Support Failure

The Ship's Life Support is knocked out, either by maintenance error or by an attack by the pursuing enemies. It is immediately lost, and therefore there is a constant drain on the Tennos' shields and health, encouraging players to work quickly to defeat the boarding parties.

Void Storm

The ship is encased in a Void Storm, causing weird distortions and electrical failures. Nearby appliances may electrocute allies and enemies alike due to surges, and there's an extremely slow drain on Warframe energy.

Cryogenics Breach

Similar to the random mission occurrence, this event halves the shields of the Tenno for the wave it occurs.

At the completion of the wave, the above effects dissipate. However, some waves may bring more than one challenge at a time. As a rule, challenges can only occur past wave 5, and more than one challenge can only occur past wave 10.

Just a quick idea I had. Thoughts?

Feel like this kind of multi-staged mission have been brought up a lot...though, not sure if DE could accomplish the whole shabang with changing tilesets dependent on the players selection.

Other than that, I feel the mission would just be a more chaotic defense most of the time.

Feel like this kind of multi-staged mission have been brought up a lot...though, not sure if DE could accomplish the whole shabang with changing tilesets dependent on the players selection.

Other than that, I feel the mission would just be a more chaotic defense most of the time.

Really? I think I've seen maybe one other multi-stage mission brought up before, but not anymore than that. And I do: if they can spawn a tile, they can certainly remove one mid-game. Unless they painted themselves into a corner, programming-wise.

Hmm, I don't know, Defense already feels chaotic to me, but maybe that's just because I always do it solo.

Great Concept. +1 Vote.

Greatly appreciated :D

I feel like it's missing something, but can't quite tell what that something is. I do like the idea thought.

Hey, if you've got anything to input and I agree, I'd add it to the OP. But I agree, the thought did feel lacking something. Mid-wave mini-boss encounters? More challenge types? Special loot? Something...

[quote name="Krion112" post="2998513" timestamp="1404794412"-snip-

Hey, if you've got anything to input and I agree, I'd add it to the OP. But I agree, the thought did feel lacking something. Mid-wave mini-boss encounters? More challenge types? Special loot? Something...

"Lore" wise mid wave boss battles are illogical: what is kril doing hijacking hijacked ships?

Special loot is probably a must to get ppl to play it.

Perhaps there is a chance (very very VERY low) to encounter Tenno of a different squad? Like they crashed into you and get to stick around for a wave or something? That may be a little somethin' somethin' to take this idea to the next level. The chance would probably increase each wave slowly so after a few waves (10-20) you are Lmost guaranteed to meet some others.

Just brainstorming here.

"Lore" wise mid wave boss battles are illogical: what is kril doing hijacking hijacked ships?

Special loot is probably a must to get ppl to play it.

Perhaps there is a chance (very very VERY low) to encounter Tenno of a different squad? Like they crashed into you and get to stick around for a wave or something? That may be a little somethin' somethin' to take this idea to the next level. The chance would probably increase each wave slowly so after a few waves (10-20) you are Lmost guaranteed to meet some others.

Just brainstorming here.

Not bosses, like Kril, but Mini-Bosses, like the Grustrag 3 or Harvester, but different bosses, like a single Hyena or a Grineer Captain that's not Vor or something.

As fun as the encountering another team would be, the model of four player co-op is already in place so I don't think that should happen, but it's good to brainstorm.

One more question before I go to sleep: what are the win and loose conditions? If I read the OP correctly, "win" conditions are killing everything that moves. But how do you loose? In most gamemodes, you die enough that you can't revive. In defense and mobile defense, you loose if you die enough that you can't revive or the pod/terminal dies. Survival success is tied to air. So how do you loose the ship you are piloting? Power core is destroied and the whole thing goes boom? Get overrun, imprisoned, and run an escape mission like when you die to the harvester?

One more question before I go to sleep: what are the win and loose conditions? If I read the OP correctly, "win" conditions are killing everything that moves. But how do you loose? In most gamemodes, you die enough that you can't revive. In defense and mobile defense, you loose if you die enough that you can't revive or the pod/terminal dies. Survival success is tied to air. So how do you loose the ship you are piloting? Power core is destroied and the whole thing goes boom? Get overrun, imprisoned, and run an escape mission like when you die to the harvester?

The win condition is to hold out for waves, similar to Defense missions.

The lose condition is to die and give up or run out of revives. The reason for this is due to the small space the battle takes place, and a central objective might make it too easy for the enemies to beat the player due to overwhelming numbers and indeterminate spawning points. (You may know all the access points, but you don't know which they'll come from).

Plus, the random occurring challenges would keep the player busy enough staying alive they needn't worry about protecting something else.