Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

8-Bit Warframe ~ Lost Sector

AnonCat

I'm very impressed, and excited to see what's coming!

If you walk off an edge, is it intended to be able to jump once in the air?

Also, I was able to repro all of the other glitches reported in the thread.  Though rocketing up the wall almost feels 9/10ths feature :P

Finally got a chance to play it and I'm digging it so far. Can't wait to hear some sound effects and music to go along with it.

Buggy things:

1. One thing I noticed is that when you jump from a high ledge and do the impact animation, if you hit the fire button, your weapon will be drawn, and then immediately put back away without a shot being fired.

I'm not sure whether you should be able to fire immediately or whether the impact animation should be played out before being able to do so, but it's definitely throwing me off to having the gun appear and then be put back away.

2. Another thing is that when idle, Frosts sprite appears to be shaking. Other than a few stray pixels here and there in the environment, this doesn't seem to happen anywhere else.

3. Bullets seem to go through you instead of stopping like against walls and enemies.

1. I believe someone mentioned this but the lockers are a bit too dark for my taste. The red and green lights obviously aid in this, but it wouldn't hurt to make them stand out a bit more.

2. Currently when firing, you are locked in place and can only shoot forward. From some of the teaser animations, I get the feeling the game will be more fast paced so mobility while shooting will most likely being a thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing this expanded on, maybe for more heavy weapons like the Ogris or Supra. Say you hold the fire button, lock in place and then can aim in different directions using the arrow buttons, similar to Contra, as an example.

3. I'm on the fence about the subtle screen shaking that occurs when firing a weapon. It's not nearly hard enough to be an issue, but depending on the weapon, it might be best to leave it out. Again, on the Ogris or Supra, that might be a little extra MMPH to make them feel stronger.

4. The animations are very nice. I especially like the impact one in particular. There might be a way to use that for gameplay, perhaps enemies near by falling over when it occurs.

Hard to critique when there's so much to expand on, but I hope that helps.

I myself don't work on the PC version (just Android), but I should be able to answer most of this stuff: 

Finally got a chance to play it and I'm digging it so far. Can't wait to hear some sound effects and music to go along with it.

Buggy things:

1. One thing I noticed is that when you jump from a high ledge and do the impact animation, if you hit the fire button, your weapon will be drawn, and then immediately put back away without a shot being fired.

I'm not sure whether you should be able to fire immediately or whether the impact animation should be played out before being able to do so, but it's definitely throwing me off to having the gun appear and then be put back away.

AFAIK this is indeed a bug

2. Another thing is that when idle, Frosts sprite appears to be shaking. Other than a few stray pixels here and there in the environment, this doesn't seem to happen anywhere else.

Could be something to do with the physics library that's being used (doesn't occur on Android, which I wrote my own physics library for, so I assume it's the library's fault)

3. Bullets seem to go through you instead of stopping like against walls and enemies.

Also a bug

1. I believe someone mentioned this but the lockers are a bit too dark for my taste. The red and green lights obviously aid in this, but it wouldn't hurt to make them stand out a bit more.

Noted, we'll get that sorted

2. Currently when firing, you are locked in place and can only shoot forward. From some of the teaser animations, I get the feeling the game will be more fast paced so mobility while shooting will most likely being a thing, but I wouldn't mind seeing this expanded on, maybe for more heavy weapons like the Ogris or Supra. Say you hold the fire button, lock in place and then can aim in different directions using the arrow buttons, similar to Contra, as an example.

We plan on making the game more melee-based - melee will be able to be used whilst moving, and will be fast, whereas shooting will require the small wind-up time, and will have very limited ammo. On the other hand though, if you can get into position and manage to fire a bullet or 2, they will do extremely heavy damage to the enemy (so basiacally a trade-off between power and mobility)

3. I'm on the fence about the subtle screen shaking that occurs when firing a weapon. It's not nearly hard enough to be an issue, but depending on the weapon, it might be best to leave it out. Again, on the Ogris or Supra, that might be a little extra MMPH to make them feel stronger.

I'll discuss it with the other peeps :-)

4. The animations are very nice. I especially like the impact one in particular. There might be a way to use that for gameplay, perhaps enemies near by falling over when it occurs.

We already have some stuff planned for that ;-)

Just so you guys know where I'm up to, this is a video showcasing the current Android build - I'll post a downloadable APK file when I've added shooting/melee, and also made the game scale properly to different displays. The Android build has a few things in it that the PC version doesn't, and vice versa, so don't be alarmed (especially due to the current lack of killing in the Android version XD)

Enjoy :-)

EDIT: should probably mention that the game runs at 60FPS easily on my Nexus 5, and manages a fairly decent ~20FPS on a Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 (which is a really old and really low-end phone), so most devices *should* be able to run it at >40FPS (my Nexus 5 can technically run it at nearly 1000FPS, but the screen won't refresh that fast XD). The lower framerate you see in the video (top-left corner) is due to the performance impact of screen recording

Edited by Ezard

Tried to start the game, installed java, but it doesn't run. Any help? ( YES I DID OPEN IT WITH JAVA)

Shift + Right Click in the folder that the file is in -> Open command window here -> Type (without quotes) "java -jar warframe8bit-build7.jar"

Post any error messages that show up here

This is progressing very nicely! 

One thing I would maybe like to change is have the enemy projectiles fire at a slower rate to allow us to jump over / dodge them. I think that would allow you to make levels more interesting as you move forward. 

This is progressing very nicely! 

One thing I would maybe like to change is have the enemy projectiles fire at a slower rate to allow us to jump over / dodge them. I think that would allow you to make levels more interesting as you move forward. 

Already on our to-do list :-)

Shift + Right Click in the folder that the file is in -> Open command window here -> Type (without quotes) "java -jar warframe8bit-build7.jar"

Post any error messages that show up here

java is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. That means that i don't have right java version or what?