Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Two Handed Weapons Carrying.

Cul513

Hello everyframe.

As a two handed sword wielder I noticed how warframes holds Gram or Galatine while melee active. That's... I don't even know. It seems that those who maid this animation never held 7 kilo sword. I mean to hold it aweigh on your chest with one hand is pretty hard and don't even know how some one can run with it in this state. Now, long ago at devstream I saw that there where different holds for different warframe animations and the existing one was designed for "noble" animation set but even then sword placed on shoulder seemed more faithful. Or carrying sword with two hands on a using hand side with wide grip and blade near the ground is another good way. ( I understand that in this state blade can do through obstacles and walls or floor but it works for nikana's scabbard somehow. )

And that's not that bad actually in compering with hammers and maces grip. ( Fragor and Magistar ) Just try to hold sledgehammer like you hold it in the game with one hand aweigh for a minute. It's not a police club, it's heavy. It is possible to carry in one hand but the grip must be at the top of the handle, not at it's end. ( like no one ewer been at construction side for Lotus sake ) And more surefire way to hold a war hammer is two handed wide grip in front of your abdomen on a at arm's length. Now, a friend of mine is a war hammer wielder and not just he always suffering from lack of hammer designs in games, it is also a misrepresenting. When he saw this this "grip" situation he was like: "Are they serious?". He is even refuses to use his favorite weapon ( Fragor ). At first it was damage comparing with Galatine, with which I totally agree and the grip was the last drop.

It's not just are more appropriate ways to hold either of heavy melee weapons, it will supplement movement dynamics of character and feeling of heaviness of arms.

Of course some one can disagree, but only argument available is the inhuman strengths and abilities of warframes. But if warframes are so strong  then why there are speed differences of weapon wielding and why guns recoil have influence on aiming.

Please consider.

Frameoff.

I agree entirely, I was thinking that they could go about modifying the greatsword stance by simply making your frame hold their hand out further and at an angle, leaving the blade to rest squarely on their shoulder. When running they could drop it to their side and hold it behind them, similar to Nikanas.

As for hammers, I would love to see my Vauban wielding my Jat Kittag near the top as he runs about. That would be much better than the wierdly obvious clipping errors the current stance provides.

postnote: Everyframe? This isn't My Little Warframe lol, that's just odd to even think about. No offense of course, just saying.

Edited by Kestral9999

I will agree that it looks very silly.

I will also note that recoil isn't necessarily affected by how strong a person is due to how  a gun is typically held while firing. The leverage action of a pistol, for instance, will still cause a jerk in even the strongest grip due to how the energy from the recoil will create torque unless you have a hand pressing down on the barrel while holding it... Which is very stupid to do for various reasons.

Edited by Terumitsu

...It seems that those who maid this animation never held 7 kilo sword...

I don't think anyone has ever held a 7kg (15.343lbs) sword (maybe if it was made of gold; much swag)*

*...That was real. This is a footnote. Only it's not at the bottom.

We should change dual wielding pistols too then cause that's unrealistic. This game is hardly about being realistic. It's about looking and playing cool. There are loads of stuff already that don't make sense but work in the game.

We're just talking about grips and the grip for "axes" looks really uncomfortable and weird. Sometimes looking cool also means doing it right:

Siegfried_Soul_Calibur.png

Seigfried has been doing it right for 18 years.

I think tail guard would be the best choice for Warframe. It's realistic, it looks cool, the animations would already work from tail guard, and you don't have to worry about clipping issues because the sword is so far away from the character model. Done.

• 2 months later...

I don't think anyone has ever held a 7kg (15.343lbs) sword (maybe if it was made of gold; much swag)*

*...That was real. This is a footnote. Only it's not at the bottom.

We're just talking about grips and the grip for "axes" looks really uncomfortable and weird. Sometimes looking cool also means doing it right:

Siegfried_Soul_Calibur.png

Seigfried has been doing it right for 18 years.

I think tail guard would be the best choice for Warframe. It's realistic, it looks cool, the animations would already work from tail guard, and you don't have to worry about clipping issues because the sword is so far away from the character model. Done.

This. This. This.

I'm also disappointed in the Galatine attack animations. But at the very least there are far better ways to carry that weight.

This pleases me.

I personally feel like heavy melee weapons should have a lot more emphasis on heaviness; this includes upping their damage significantly, lowering their attack speed to balance and putting more emphasis on the weight of the weapons in animations.

We should change dual wielding pistols too then cause that's unrealistic. This game is hardly about being realistic. It's about looking and playing cool. There are loads of stuff already that don't make sense but work in the game.

This again.

Dual wielding pistols, while impractical, fits the logic of the game world because we've come to accept that trope in fictional media. Holding a heavy war hammer or axe by the end of the shaft, meanwhile, looks ridiculous in any context. It also makes these heavy weapons feel like they have little weight to them, which is unsatisfying from an aesthetic/diegetic perspective.

I support two-handed or on-the-shoulder idle and movement poses for the great swords, and either two-handed poses or one-handed loses held near the head for hammers and axes.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Looks like this topic got nekroed with July. Anyhow, glad to hear they're getting more tweaks. Having them finally held by two hands is an improvement, but we really could have done so much more.

Good thing it was though as it got a dev response as a result, lol

I kind of was under the impression that warframes weren't your average joe and were able to perform at a higher level than any normal humanoid would be able.

Kind of odd to ask for realism when it comes to weapons when there is space magic afoot.

I think the reason they held them with one hand was because of datamasses. If you notice, you can hold the datamass with your melee out. I think a two handed grip would sorta of make that look strange (even though swinging and blocking look equally strange).