Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do These Weapons Get So Little Love?

Azawarau

Grakata:

Bit of a recoil on it that can be nasty but fair damage for regular content and really high status procs

Tends to stunlock enemies and groups of enemies when combined with shred or metal auger

Grinlock:

Super high base damage somehat makes up for the small crit and lower DPS

Extremely rewarding for accurate shooters

35% status chance means you can get a proc on every shot with a status build

Ammo efficient<<<

Bad at crowd play but its nice for picking off targets

Lecta:

This thing makes me fall in love with it every time i use it

Amazing status stun on a large range 360 degrees

A combo thats actually worth using and does a noticeable amount more damage than E spam

Combined with gas it becomes extremely deadly against groups of enemies

Torid:

Its been a while since ive picked it up but i dont regret saving this baby at all

Amazing for Hide and shoot play

Able to proc with gas clouds (i think? Going off distant memory here)

Direct hits attach spread even more

Its actually more efficient when enemies survive the initial hit

Base toxic damage leaves room for nice ele combos

The Serro:

Lower damage than nikana but the pure ele damage and higher status chance more than make up for it

Constantly proccing elec or gas lets you wipe groups off the floor with extreme ease

The Lanka:

Run a gas+elec high status uild

Itll explain itself

Edited by [DE]Megan
cleaned aesthetically

Let's analyze each weapon one by one to explain why these are so underused. All the weapons listed are great in their own way but some weapons are just way better.

Grakata: This is actually a nice weapon with decent crit and a high status chance. However status is kind of pointless since you need event mods to make it viable. People don't have all the mods so they don't go for status. Also one can consider the soma to be better in every aspect besides status so you can ignore this weapon. Boltor prime will also out class this weapon as well and is mastery rank 2 like this weapon is. At MR2, people won't have the mods to make this gun viable and those who are higher than MR2 can go for better weapons.

Grinlok: Despite having a high status chance, the marelok basically is a pocket version of this weapon with better stats all around. Marelok has a higher firing rate, faster reload, more damage, around the same crit and status chance. Grinlok is not  a heavy hitter since it does a measly 120 damage which is low for a slow firing weapon. If you want a decent marksmen rifle, pick the latron prime which has more shots and a faster fire rate despite having lower base damage or use the marelok. Status is better on weapons that deal only elemental as you have a higher chance of procing the status you want. If you really like status weapons, use the tysis which will be able to status 100% of the time with the correct mods. Or you can stick to bows which will be more effective than the grinlok.

Lecta: Whips are pretty good with damage 2.0, but the scoliac is a better choice. Even if you can't get the scoliac, there are better weapons available besides this weapon. The scoliac does more damage and attacks really fast compared to the lecta which allows for great crowd control and stunlocks.

Torid: This is a better weapon then when damage 2.0 kicked in but honestly the clouds don't deal enough damage. If you want a crowd control weapon you should just use Ogris or penta. The penta can be used as a tactical weapon when you lay down grenades in hallways or around the cryopod. These launchers just deal a lot more damage and more useful. Sure you can die from using them, but if you are cautious then it won't matter.

Serro: This weapon is actually one of the better weapons you mentioned. It is powerful with the status chance and elemental damage. However the dragon nikana is better because you don't need status mods to make it strong. The serro also is a bit slower than the dragon nikana. The serro isn't bad as the high base damage and status allows for great crowd control. However, the Orthos prime feels like a better weapon even with the lower base damage. It has .3 faster attack speed which allows for fast strikes and its jump attack has a huge 10m knockdown allowing for some great cc. The orthos prime might actually out dps the orthos prime and comes with its own utillity.

Lanka: Bows are just better in almost every way. While they have lower base damage, they just have better stats elsewhere. They have really high crit chance and can red crit as well which allows them to do more damage. The lanka is not hitscan and you will be punished for missed shots while bows don't really suffer from that with their fast fire rate. Bows also don't require a MR of 7 and fieldrons to make. Status isn't really good for a weapon designed to one shot enemies as they should be dead before the status kicks in. Gas and electricity aren't very good elemental combos for anything but the infested which snipers shouldn't even really be used there. Snipers are currently underpowered and need some buffs before they can be as viable as bows. Also the scope on this weapon is very obnoxious when you are trying to snipe targets.

Tl;DR: All the weapons you listed are viable but people go for better weapons like the paris prime, soma, boltor prime, orthos prime, dragon nikana, dakra prime, scoliac, dread, etc. All the weapons you listed have superior weapon counterparts that cause people to forgo them for the better weapons.

Edited by Lqn8r

Guest Tehnoobshow

Soma > Grakata

Marelock > Grinlock

Scoliac > Lecta

Ogris > Torid

I've seen lots of people use the Serro.

Bows > Snipers

People don't use these weapons because they are outclassed in every way by another weapon.

5 forma Torid is amongst the best weapons I have for "end game" defense. Stuff just walks into instant death gas clouds. Add a Vauban and negative power strength Nova and you can go as long as you want without moving.

Edited by Sedant

Give me any other weapon any day, as long i dont have to use a bow. As the snipers are rather weak (or the stupid charge up), i basicly dont use any sniper apart from the wannabe one, the Latron. I just cant get used to the paris prime.

As for Grataka, main issue is ammo. Being at that range, i would pick amrex over grataka any day, even more aoe, even more proc, even more crit. I sitll like the grataka, but for the 'i need more punch' i pick amprex.

Torid is a gun that i still use against grineer and infected, mostly because i kill myself just too often with the Ogris and the Torid is a safe to use. Damagewise its pretty decent, but since i do T1-4 often, i fight mostly corpus, so it has lesser use for me.

-snip-

^Pretty much this.

The Grakata and Lanka are two of my favorites guns despite their shortcomings. The Torid and Grinlok are definitely in need of buffs though, the Torid's utility is counter-intuitive of it's intended purpose as a CC/area denial weapon, and it makes no sense that the Grinlok's stats are more or less inferior to it's little brother Marelok (especially considering the Marelok has the additional benefit of superior mods).

Edited by Paradoxbomb

The Grakata is great! Put some status corrosive mods combo and watch the enemy's armor disintegrate in front of your eyes. Without the dual stat mods it's still pretty goodt. That have been said, I find the impact procs to be often annoying when trying to focus fire on one mob that keeps being thrown around though. Critical Delay is another fun mod to get in there,  Overall it's a very fun weapon to use. Only issue is that it requires "advanced" mods and lots of formaing (since it doesn't come polarized) in order to be effective. If you don't want to be like everyone else and carry a Soma/Boltor, and have the time, patience and mods to get this weapon setup, the Grakata is a valid alternative.

When you have as many weapons as there are in this game, you eventually run out of ways to make them different or unique enough and still have them all viable and very desirable to use.   It's not the fault of DE or the guns being subar, it's just that like anything in gaming or life, there are just better options and people in general simply like to use what they think is "the best".

So all of the weapons you list, there are better options with less flaws.

The Grakata is actually one of the best weapons imo. High crit rate,high status chance. That things is a death machine.

If the mod slots werent limited, yes. But like this, you can either build for damage (crit) or utility(status). You cannot have a hybrid build of both without suffering extreme penalties for the general useability.

Let me see here...

Grakata:nice overall performance but with a downfall of recoil and ammo efficiency. 7/10

Grinlok: a very nice weapon that have decent damage and status proc if modded using the dual stat event mod with almost near zero downfall*except the sybaris still looks better than it for me* lemme give it a 8/10

Lecta: yes a very high status proc melee with electrical based damage which can be fully utilized if you have all those dual stat event mods. The near 360 degree arc AOE attack pattern after the melee 2.0 rework makes it a very dangerous melee weapon when used against tenno in the dojo duel 'i mean *cough* magnetic+poison which hit through shields *cough*' but the scoliac's damage and attack speed is higher than it which makes scoliac a better weapon than it if the player wants to use the spoiled strike mod without worrying the attack speed reduction but do notice scoliac's base damage is slash damage so it will have reduced damage on heavy grineer while lecta will have a slight advantage on them when modded to pure radiation or corrosive damage type... but lecta is overall a good melee weapon so i'll give it 7.5/10

Torid: nope. call me a loser or noob and tell me to use it with vauban's vortex or anything and it still won't change the fact that this gun s**ks 4/10

Serro: Gillette mark 5 serro which provides you a closer and smoother shave. Gillette~ the best the man can get~~ 8.5/10

Lanka: i'll break my screen first before i break my mouse knowing that i have to hold and charge the weapon all the time and its not hit scan which in most cases i will miss a lot when using it to shoot a running enemy far far away*for example enemy that is more than 50m away in the pluto's cerberus interception mission* but the ultimately high damage, status chance and the punch through feature makes its a very good gun for me. but the one everyone won't like is it's god damn slow charge and not hit scan. but welp... 6.5/10 just because it is hard to use*information collected from newbies that using that gun for the first time* unless you get used to it..

*the rating is based on my opinion only so don't take it seriously..*

so in the end, its not that a few to noone likes the weapon, because who knows? in some corner of the universe there is people still using it and loved it but you just didn't have the chance to meet them...

but in some case,some of the weapon you stated is out-performed by other weapon which in most cases the new player needs a really good damaging weapon to allow him to get to higher level mission without sweat to farm certain things and they don't want to waste their catalyst and slot.. So, until then these weapon is just another mastery fodder or a *for fun weapon* only when you are tired using all those op gun...

mi gremar is bad dun hate... pece

Edited by Tar_Spit_Fire

Let's analyze each weapon one by one to explain why these are so underused. All the weapons listed are great in their own way but some weapons are just way better.

Grakata: This is actually a nice weapon with decent crit and a high status chance. However status is kind of pointless since you need event mods to make it viable. People don't have all the mods so they don't go for status. Also one can consider the soma to be better in every aspect besides status so you can ignore this weapon. Boltor prime will also out class this weapon as well and is mastery rank 2 like this weapon is. At MR2, people won't have the mods to make this gun viable and those who are higher than MR2 can go for better weapons.

Grinlok: Despite having a high status chance, the marelok basically is a pocket version of this weapon with better stats all around. Marelok has a higher firing rate, faster reload, more damage, around the same crit and status chance. Grinlok is not  a heavy hitter since it does a measly 120 damage which is low for a slow firing weapon. If you want a decent marksmen rifle, pick the latron prime which has more shots and a faster fire rate despite having lower base damage or use the marelok. Status is better on weapons that deal only elemental as you have a higher chance of procing the status you want. If you really like status weapons, use the tysis which will be able to status 100% of the time with the correct mods. Or you can stick to bows which will be more effective than the grinlok.

Lecta: Whips are pretty good with damage 2.0, but the scoliac is a better choice. Even if you can't get the scoliac, there are better weapons available besides this weapon. The scoliac does more damage and attacks really fast compared to the lecta which allows for great crowd control and stunlocks.

Torid: This is a better weapon then when damage 2.0 kicked in but honestly the clouds don't deal enough damage. If you want a crowd control weapon you should just use Ogris or penta. The penta can be used as a tactical weapon when you lay down grenades in hallways or around the cryopod. These launchers just deal a lot more damage and more useful. Sure you can die from using them, but if you are cautious then it won't matter.

Serro: This weapon is actually one of the better weapons you mentioned. It is powerful with the status chance and elemental damage. However the dragon nikana is better because you don't need status mods to make it strong. The serro also is a bit slower than the dragon nikana. The serro isn't bad as the high base damage and status allows for great crowd control. However, the Orthos prime feels like a better weapon even with the lower base damage. It has .3 faster attack speed which allows for fast strikes and its jump attack has a huge 10m knockdown allowing for some great cc. The orthos prime might actually out dps the orthos prime and comes with its own utillity.

Lanka: Bows are just better in almost every way. While they have lower base damage, they just have better stats elsewhere. They have really high crit chance and can red crit as well which allows them to do more damage. The lanka is not hitscan and you will be punished for missed shots while bows don't really suffer from that with their fast fire rate. Bows also don't require a MR of 7 and fieldrons to make. Status isn't really good for a weapon designed to one shot enemies as they should be dead before the status kicks in. Gas and electricity aren't very good elemental combos for anything but the infested which snipers shouldn't even really be used there. Snipers are currently underpowered and need some buffs before they can be as viable as bows. Also the scope on this weapon is very obnoxious when you are trying to snipe targets.

Tl;DR: All the weapons you listed are viable but people go for better weapons like the paris prime, soma, boltor prime, orthos prime, dragon nikana, dakra prime, scoliac, dread, etc. All the weapons you listed have superior weapon counterparts that cause people to forgo them for the better weapons.

Run Grakata with pierce and elec for alot of stun and extra damage on a more reliable level than the soma

Youd be surprised whats possible with elec builds

Though the physical procs taking over makes this somehwhat unreliable which is why i usually stray away from any weapon that has physical damage rather than elemental

I have a Latron prime with 3-4 forma on it and it is better than the grinlock but teh grinlock is quite the weapon still

Its biggest downfall like the grakata is the physical procs making the weapon unreliable for status builds

Cant wait for an advanced version of the grinlock though, Itll definitely be on my to get immediately list

The Scoliac IMO is much much less useful than the lecta

Its limited by physical damage and has a lower status chance effectively killing your chances of building an elec or gas abusing build for huge AoE damage

The coiling viper polarity that matches it is less useful iirc than the more common Burning wasp with its large sweeps

It may not seem like it but an elec or gas build lecta can really abuse that extra damage for a huge payoff especially against crowds

Its quite possible one of the most efficient weapons to use against infested, Literally able to kill faster and get beat up far less with it than my Serro with twice the damage

The torid is more like what the ogris and penta ought to be imo but not quite as low hitting

With enough forma though its surprisingly handy

The Serro much for the reasons listed above can easily rival or pass the nikana in damage

Im not sure what you have against status mods but they arent all that uncommon and do sell on the market, Theyre also a much heavier damage increase than you might think when you consider elemental effect boosts that other weapons miss out on entirely

In this case a crowd of enemies VS Serro means the crowd is dead much faster than the nikana could hope to compare to

Single target stun locking on things that dont die right away like heavy gunners or high level infested disruptors is invaluable in combat as well

Now finallly the Lanka

Im just gonna go ahead and say youre entirely wrong here

-Electricity damage's unique status effect chains 50% of your weapon or power's base damage to surrounding enemies in a small AoE. The initial target is also shocked, stunning it for a brief duration.

-Gas damage's unique status effect is a Toxin AoE that deals 50% of your weapon or power's base damage in a small area around the affected enemy with a 100% status chance. As such, enemies damaged by this Toxin burst will also be affected by a Toxin DoT that inflicts 50% of the AoE damage per tick (9 ticks over 8 seconds)

Gas is used in place of Toxin since it cant be used along with electricity but still offers a similar effect

Now imagine youre in a T4 Def ad see a group of enemies coming your way in a straight line as they always do or down the stairs behind you

With the kind of damage a formad Lanka can reach and High AoE procs along with innate 5m punch through,more than what you can get with mods, you can take out very large amounts of enemies in a single shot

The lanka is drastically underrated despite its incredible crowd clearing ability even on fairly high level enemies that other guns give up on

It does do badly close up though being a sniper thats to be expected

Soma > Grakata

Marelock > Grinlock

Scoliac > Lecta

Ogris > Torid

I've seen lots of people use the Serro.

Bows > Snipers

People don't use these weapons because they are outclassed in every way by another weapon.

Read the above

I dont see exactly what youre getting at with that

Could you point out specifically what you mean?

Since when did Serro get little love?

It is literally the most powerful melee for Orokin Void. All the cool kids and their invisible Lokis run with Corrosive Serros.

And as a bonus it's a giant Gillette Fusion.

Its not so much that as people thinking th D Nikana is outright better

Now IMO th Serro beats it all around but bringing this down to simply damage output id still give the win to the Serro aside from single target bleed procs possibly putting the Nikana ahead given its low status rate

For melee status chance is almost more important than damage

Without being able to CC your target or small groups you could find yourself taking alot more damage than you need to and actually being less efficient than you think

Grakata:

Bit of a recoil on it that can be nasty but fair damage for regular content and really high status procs

Tends to stunlock enemies and groups of enemies when combined with shred or metal auger

Grinlock:

Super high base damage somehat makes up for the small crit and lower DPS

Extremely rewarding for accurate shooters

35% status chance means you can get a proc on every shot with a status build

Ammo efficient<<<

Bad at crowd play but its nice for picking off targets

Lecta:

This thing makes me fall in love with it every time i use it

Amazing status stun on a large range 360 degrees

A combo thats actually worth using and does a noticeable amount more damage than E spam

Combined with gas it becomes extremely deadly against groups of enemies

Torid:

Its been a while since ive picked it up but i dont regret saving this baby at all

Amazing for Hide and shoot play

Able to proc with gas clouds (i think? Going off distant memory here)

Direct hits attach spread even more

Its actually more efficient when enemies survive the initial hit

Base toxic damage leaves room for nice ele combos

The Serro:

Lower damage than nikana but the pure ele damage and higher status chance more than make up for it

Constantly proccing elec or gas lets you wipe groups off the floor with extreme ease

The Lanka:

Run a gas+elec high status uild

Itll explain itself

Grakata: Lots of people (myself included) dont like status as much as pure damage

Grinlock: Latron does it better :/

Lecta: Hidden gem, great range and good combos

Torid: A pain to use, and its damage is meh. Good cc though

Serro: A good weapon, but others just do it better. You do get style points for it though, its pimpin'

Lanka: Its a pain to get, a pain to forma, and a pain to use. I have it formaed 4 times, and right now i regret it. Hopefully with the  sniper buff it will be different

Since when did Serro get little love?

It is literally the most powerful melee for Orokin Void. All the cool kids and their invisible Lokis run with Corrosive Serros.

And as a bonus it's a giant Gillette Fusion.

Most powerful? nay good sir. The Bo Prime is at the front of the pack. Serro is still good though

Most powerful? nay good sir. The Bo Prime is at the front of the pack. Serro is still good though

When push comes to shove, and a level 70 heavy gunner has unspeakable amounts of armor, a pure corrosive Serro will shred it faster than a Bo Prime.

But Serro copter is horrible :L

Grakata: Lots of people (myself included) dont like status as much as pure damage

Grinlock: Latron does it better :/

Lecta: Hidden gem, great range and good combos

Torid: A pain to use, and its damage is meh. Good cc though

Serro: A good weapon, but others just do it better. You do get style points for it though, its pimpin'

Lanka: Its a pain to get, a pain to forma, and a pain to use. I have it formaed 4 times, and right now i regret it. Hopefully with the  sniper buff it will be different

Let me share my Lanka build with you

vDWYLo1.jpg

Seriously, you can easily kill a group of 7-15 with a single shot

Im not even joking .-.

When push comes to shove, and a level 70 heavy gunner has unspeakable amounts of armor, a pure corrosive Serro will shred it faster than a Bo Prime.

But Serro copter is horrible :L

Corrosive takes away elec...

Id rather beat it down and be able to tank after even if it does take a bit longer

Edited by Azawarau