Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Silva And Aegis Should Be More Shield-Like

Seox

Heya Tenno!

(I DO have the stance)

I'm an absolute fanatic when it comes to swords and shields, so I'm quite interested in seeing this happen.

The current SaA has what many players consider mediocre stats, and it performs like just another skin on just another weapon. It seems a pitiful waste of potential variety to simply relegate it to another weapon, and so I feel that we ought to try to make it more "sword and shield" like. 

Firstly, many players have proposed some modification to blocking when using the SaA. Implementing this change would set a precedent that allows us to tweak other weapons' blocks to further diversify the relatively homogeneous melee weapons who really need something to make them more unique. Potential changes include using less stamina to block, innate projectile reflection, substantially higher parry chance/etc. It'd be amazing to see shields come unto their own as well as doing things like allowing longswords to parry a wider angle/etc - these are all things that will allow a user further customization in subtle but meaningful ways, and will allow DE to take weapons that otherwise deal mediocre damage and make them stand out for other reasons.

Another suggestion that I'd like to make revolves around melee 2.0 combos. Many players have come to the conclusion that melee 2.0 is amazing - for other games. Warframe players do not benefit from "narrow and deep" combos that require windup, because players often face two dichotomous groups of enemies - cannon fodder and really tough ones. Neither enemy presents much of an opportunity to sit there and combo for different and self evident reasons, and thus experienced players have suggested that warframe's combos be made "wide and shallow", allowing many small techniques that can be chained together as the player sees fit.

Along these lines, why is the shield only used as a weapon in only two of the attacks out of the 10+ seen in the combos? Coupled with no modifier to block ,the Silva and Aegis is really only the Silva. If we'd like to keep the narrow and deep combos, what if, for instance, one of the combos started with block + melee and the initial hit was a low damage shield bash with some knockback? As it stands, the only attacks in almost all combos with utility effects are deep in the combo. By creating combos with increasing utility, but making most of them start with some utility, there will almost always be a reason to vary your attacks. SaA is a great opportunity to begin this.

Tl;dr Silva and Aegis has only two shield bashes and no apparent block modifier. It feels too much like other weapons and does not stand on its own as a sword and shield. Its mediocre stats could be compensated by making its block mechanics more unique, and this opens the door for more tweaking with other melee weapons to make them all less generic. Furthermore, creating combos that begin with low utility unique attacks (start with a shield bash for light knockback) would make more sense than burying utility skills deep in a combo tree for a fast paced game like warframe while preserving windups for the opportunities that require them.

Thanks for listening!

Edited by Seox

This is solid feedback and I want the developers to see it. What you said about the Silva + Aegis having relatively little to do with the shield is quite true and a little alarming. A few more shield-y moves would be schway.

I'd Love it if it added say 300 armor to the warframes base armor, would make frames other than Valkyr more viable as HP tanks, and could also help keep less tanky frames alive  for those that prefer a more caster, less melee role too.

Edited by DarcnyssWolfe

i have to say i completely agree. I was hoping for something more like the shield grineer troop where you could use a sidearm to fire at enemies while guarding, but it honestly just feels like a pretty weapon thats not that good, Maybe an upgraded version of the dual heat swords. But in its current form there is no point for it to even have a shield.

I'd Love it if it added say 300 armor to the warframes base armor, would make frames other than Valkyr more viable as HP tanks, and could also help keep less tanky frames alive  for those that prefer a more caster, less melee role too.

definitely no.

why would having a shield in one hand affect the damage you get on your back or head?

they could however give the shield innate block chance for attacks coming from the side it is facing

definitely no.

why would having a shield in one hand affect the damage you get on your back or head?

they could however give the shield innate block chance for attacks coming from the side it is facing

Now you are just asking for bugs :P

simply having shield on you doesnt give ans shouldn't give more armor, its using it that shoukd protect you nkt just holding at your side

an alternative feature for this would be to take its heat sword jump attack and make it modifiable to things like blast or gas procs so at least it would have "energy" flowing through it that would allow players more varied builds then the few elemental jump weapons we have to date