Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Near Worst Interface Change Ever

Nekotome

The 3d interface (aka ship) is pointless, it is adding nothing to my experience although I am sure ya'll have plans to decorate it with real money later down the road.  I never use the ship to do anything.

The closest thing I can get to the escape menu is far to simplistic, I personally would prefer to have less things group together.

Is the entire interface system made for low resolution systems?  All the menus and all the buttons are frigging huge, I can only see a few options or items at a time and I have to browse for everything.

Along with the interface being low resolution, my warframe is constantly getting in the way of me seeing anything on the left side of the screen, I don't really need to see how awesome my frame looks 24/7.

Navigation, there is near to no information on the screen anymore, and I have yet to find a button that lets me change the group mode while queuing up, I could do it before, but not during.  And while looking at an individual planet, it's a bit annoying that I have to spin the planet to view the rest of the areas, also again, what is up with the low resolution?

Overall I just find the new interface extremely frustrating to use, it may be pretty, but it is nowhere close to functional.  If I had allowed an interface like this out to my customers I would be ashamed.

This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king. You could certainly make the argument that the foundry information could be easier to read as an excel sheet, but it's not what we are going for.

As great as all the horrible UI improvements are, still 10lbs of nope in a 5lbs bag. 

I do not want my UI to move around on me. 

I do not want to have to move my UI around to see around other clutter on the screen.

I do not want to have the amount of information infront of me reduced and hidden in submenus under a completely different branch of the UI tree.

I do not want to have to navigate through a overly complex 3d interface to find things which no longer appear to be in a location which makes sense.

I do not want parts of my UI to be upside down or otherwise unable to read until I manipulate them.

I do not want my idle screen to increase the amount of BTUs my rig outputs

I do not want regression of features which were already working in the prior version of UI.

I want an option that takes me back to UI 1.x please.

What is wrong with spreadsheets? Every game I can thing of has no problems using these. They are useful for displaying lots of information in a format which can be understood.

I feel as thou since DE does not give a crap about what the players thing with the 'improvements' because they are obiviously better, a possible solution would be a fundraiser with the explicit purpose of sending DE's UI team to a UI school where they might actually learn something. That or pay off someone in the wet works business so at least the designers will never be able to inflict such travesty again.

Also, did noone ever bother trying to learn for other people's mistakes with UI design?

Windows ME

Windows Vista

Windows 8

Just saying. 

Also, UI != UX

Edited by YeTr2

However, there is a happy in between where you still feel in the game and it is still functional.  A person in the extremes, in my experience, is usually a coder who hasn't been doing it long, or has not received reliable feedback.  While I love spreadsheets, I most certainly do not provide my customers with them, but I also don't make my screen so artistic as to not be easily usable anymore.

However, there is a happy in between where you still feel in the game and it is still functional.  A person in the extremes, in my experience, is usually a coder who hasn't been doing it long, or has not received reliable feedback.  While I love spreadsheets, I most certainly do not provide my customers with them, but I also don't make my screen so artistic as to not be easily usable anymore.

It seems to me that the problem here is that this new interface is meant for casual gamers, the types who don't mind being slowed down if things look nice. Unfortunately this alienates the (more vocal) power gamer crowd, who aren't happy that the straight utility of the old menu has been traded for visual flair.

A good compromise in my opinion would be to redesign the ESC menu for straight utility, and leave the in-ship menus how they are. This way gamers looking for a streamlined menu could have that, and gamers looking for a casual experience could have that.

The point I was trying to make there is that the dozens and dozens of threads along the lines of "worst update ever/DE sucks/quitting the game" aren't going to help fix the problems we have, and if anything will make them worse by dividing the community with petty arguments.

I would like to point out that the topic is an opinion hun ;), also says near, trust me I've seen worse, and it was a developer who used to work on my project.  That being said I could more than easily go with the escape menu being redone to involve less clicks and less browsing between me and a feature, that still leaves a few of the screens themselves looking cluttered and not optimized in space utilization.  I really really would prefer a better navigation screen, and I hate to be the "don't change" it crowd, but the old solar system was a bit easier to use and better looking.

Rereading back I do realize it might not seem constructive, since I'm not at work I'm not in work mode of writing 10-20 pages to describe why one feature doesn't work, or why one screen looks wrong.  I really hate paperwork, so I do apologize if it came off as a blame game.

The old solar system had its fair share of problems, mostly being that the new level tiles are much easier to select and maneuver with than the old nodes. There needs to be a good balance of visual flair and utility, as both are important to a good video game. Reorganizing menu flow would be a good place to start with this, and based off [DE]Pablo's comments it seems like they're already working on some of that.

And don't worry about it...tempers are running high with this new update, everyone just wants to see this game be as fantastic as humanly possible :D

I remember someone suggesting something about changing the view of the mod and foundry screen: rather than it be at a third person view, it should be at a first person view, and it makes it easier to see. It won't fix all the problems but it at least fixes one.

what makes the current UI "bad" is that it is so easily comparable to the previous "standard" - people aren't nostalgic for the old UI because they think the ship is graphically poor - they want the old functions back because they worked... and worked faster ... with less effort .. than the "new" UI.

These comparisons are direct, testable, and easy... if we had a test server running the old and another running the new UI and took two novice players and said "GO" - task for task i would say due to learning curve issues they would perform reasonably close to one another.

Take that same list of tasks in the hands of a player with some real playtime and a familiarity with modding, etc... and the old system wins out every time.

The novelty of the ship, the new look, the new graphics, are all short term highs... in the long run the extra time and energy spent mucking about with your stuff instead of running amok with your friends will take its toll.

Im a newer player who started before the update so i did get to experience both. I have to say the new UI is terrible compared to the old. If you wanted immersion you would not have added a 1 button to do all, you would have made us walk to each station. Also the whole warframes clipping half the UI is just terrible design and should have been noticed far before the update was released. The new solar map is HORRIBLE. Not only does it look terrible compared to the last (almost looked like multiple star formations, now it looks like something from a 1990s game), there is absolutely no information on it. Like i said im a newer player without all the planets unlocked. So my navigation system doesnt even show all the planets, it doesnt even show you how to get to them. There also may be a bug with it as i currently can not get to Neptune even though i have all Uranus unlocked and completed. At the very least they could add clearer connection paths to the next planet.

(DE_Pablo says "This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king.")

That is not a good sign. I hate, HATE a UI that gets in my way for no good reason. If anyone's played Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and remembers having to wait for the menu screen to flicker in and out when you choose an option, this is an example of something which made me absolutely furious.

QOL and immersion are not mutually exclusive terms, they can rule as King and Queen

Warframe is not a special case whereby it is accepted that immersion comes at the expense of QOL; that is flawed thinking that should have been weeded out long before any layouts hit the drawingboard

the old UI had reasonably high QOL but pretty poor immersion

this new UI is almost the polar opposite of the old in that it has poor QOL but high immersion

(note that immersion fades over time whereas QOL gains in value over time)

someone at DE needs to sit down and count the clicks needed to do all actions in the old UI and use that as the _maximum_ click count for those same actions in the new UI updates

(please note that each ESC press counts as a click)

it's going to take a lot of work but, frankly, it's all self-inflicted pain because this new UI should never have been sactioned as is