Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is The Word 'lesbian' Censored Ingame?

The concept of homosexuality is offensive to some religions and countries. On the same token so is censoring the words suggesting it to homosexuals. Both sides refuse to come to a common ground. So...

But I think DE will side on the side of the masses rather than the few. Is it fair? No.

Sigh.. This is a circular social issue that needs another century of ironing out.

The concept of homosexuality is offensive to some religions and countries. On the same token so is censoring the words suggesting it to homosexuals. Both sides refuse to come to a common ground. So...

But I think DE will side on the side of the masses rather than the few. Is it fair? No.

Sigh.. This is a circular social issue that needs another century of ironing out.

DE is not based in one of those countries. I am British for example, our laws and the laws of the EU do not permit hate-speech or discrimination based on sexuality. The Law overrides religious beliefs, and Warframe has EU servers (which would be ultimately subject to those laws). Thus, what religions and countries find it offensive is mute.  Now one could argue that it's a private company and as such could hold whatever views it wished, but we all know that that kind of thinking only goes so far, and if DE did hold some kind of anti-g*y viewpoint, for whatever reason, we should know now. To be clear I am not suggesting that at all for even a moment, nor is my 'tone of voice' intended to be confrontational or accusatory in any way.

Blizzard had a similar policy years ago, g*y was censored in the profanity filter. They eventually decided to remove it from the filter.  Aion's filter was soo strict that if you typed 'Assassin' it would censor you, even though an Assassin was the name of a class in the game. Sometimes these things get taken too far.

Wasn't there a thread about the word gay being censored a few months back?

Well if the word is still censored, then this will keep coming up.

seriously? you have never used the word lesbian in a casual conversation? did you read the thread? that is the issue. using the word lesbian ISNT inappropriate at all. that's like saying heterosexual is inappropriate.

Well, heterosexual is inappropriate.

As is straight.

I don't want any noobs telling me that something in the game is straight ahead.

Also, there's plenty of alternative words that probably aren't censored.

Anyhow, lets just put in an option to turn off the language filter if there isn't one already.

DE is not based in one of those countries. I am British for example, our laws and the laws of the EU do not permit hate-speech or discrimination based on sexuality. The Law overrides religious beliefs, and Warframe has EU servers (which would be ultimately subject to those laws). Thus, what religions and countries find it offensive is mute.  Now one could argue that it's a private company and as such could hold whatever views it wished, but we all know that that kind of thinking only goes so far, and if DE did hold some kind of anti-g*y viewpoint, for whatever reason, we should know now. To be clear I am not suggesting that at all for even a moment, nor is my 'tone of voice' intended to be confrontational or accusatory in any way.

Blizzard had a similar policy years ago, g*y was censored in the profanity filter. They eventually decided to remove it from the filter.  Aion's filter was soo strict that if you typed 'Assassin' it would censor you, even though an Assassin was the name of a class in the game. Sometimes these things get taken too far.

Well if the word is still censored, then this will keep coming up.

It's not about laws it's about polarizing their audience, I don't agree but then again I'm not at the reigns of a game consumed worldwide, in some countries that stone homosexuals, across the whole gambit of religions that disapprove..The simplest solution is just to censor the words.

Anyhow, lets just put in an option to turn off the language filter if there isn't one already.

You can turn off the profanity filter, but that doesn't change the fact that words that describe an aspect of people, are censored, thus censoring the people.  Plus if you type the word g*y (I don't know about the others) into chat, the kickbot kicks you instantly... which could be interpreted as... we don't want your kind here. Though I think it's meant to kick people that are using it as a slur. But kickbot doesn't know the difference, obviously.

Lesbian can be used wrong. Thats all, you do not need to feel offended by its censoring, it is not like they said," you know what lets censor the L word because it sounds horrible and we hate those people". I do not see it in any way discriminative, the word $&*(# is censored and banned aswell, and everyone syas it, its just they can be used the worng way. I feel its a little immature the nature of your approach. (edit: you see "nig-ga" was banned also here)

Edited by Hayzemet

Hey guys you know how to not get banned when talking about people who are Homosexual

Guys.... seriously, there is no downside of saying Homosexual instead of gay if anything it makes you look like you have a higher IQ.

I get that Gay is easy to say, and homosexual is a mouthful, but come on.

I have used it in Region MANY times, and not gotten banned, its easy to say, and no one can ever turn it around on you since its not the slang version.

I am ok with the Slang Gay being censored, since Homosexual isn't censored and will not get you banned.

Edited by Feallike

I am ok with the Slang Gay being censored, since Homosexual isn't censored and will not get you banned.

They both used to be censored, you know.  They were both uncensored when a thread similar to this one was made in the website feedback subforum.

So that is to say that it's not out of the realm of possibility that a DE will notice this and give the female homosexuals among us the same treatment as the male ones.

Edited by Katakuna

To be honest I'm pretty insulted by the fact that it's censored.

Like, seriously.  How much damage is that gonna do?  

'Ha ha ur a lesbian'

Nobody's gonna fling themselves into traffic over that one.

Look, this game is rated M.  I think its players can generally handle the use of words for things-not-heterosexual.

Actually people have.

They both used to be censored, you know.  They were both uncensored when a thread similar to this one was made in the website feedback subforum.

So that is to say that it's not out of the realm of possibility that a DE will notice this and give the female homosexuals among us the same treatment as the male ones.

I am honestly find with the slang being censored, we can make it fair and have Straight be censored since it is also Slang. :/

TBH Idc either way and i was just bringing up the subject that the word isn't banned, its just the slang is banned.  

This topic in a nutshell:  

"Hey guys, I'm a girl!  And I play videogames!  And I make out with other girls!  PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEE!!!!!!"

This isn't Tumblr, OP.  Please take your PC Crusade elsewhere.

Do you read it that way? What a prejudiced, biased place your mind must be.

I read it like this:

Hello Company whose game I play and support, I feel bothered by the fact that you censor a word that represents my way of interacting and showing affection instead of punishing those who use it like an insult, as most words can be used given context.

And also, as a male heterosexual with an open mind and hatred for bigotry and prejudice, I welcome any manifestation of displeasure against those, especially by those who are considered abominations who will burn in Abrahamic hell by the stupid majority.

Sexuality is life, it matters everywhere where humans interact. I would love to see a company ban the words Christian, Muslim and %!& on the grounds of them being offensive.

Edit: damn, the word "j e w" is also banned in the forums. Sad.

Edited by Dogoframe

Do you read it that way? What a prejudiced, biased place your mind must be.

I read it like this:

Hello Company whose game I play and support, I feel bothered by the fact that you censor a word that represents my way of interacting and showing affection instead of punishing those who use it like an insult, as most words can be used given context.

And also, as a male heterosexual with an open mind and hatred for bigotry and prejudice, I welcome any manifestation of displeasure against those, especially by those who are considered abominations who will burn in Abrahamic hell by the stupid majority.

Sexuality is life, it matters everywhere where humans interact. I would love to see a company ban the words Christian, Muslim and %!& on the grounds of them being offensive.

Edit: damn, the word "j e w" is also banned in the forums. Sad.

[Tipping intensifies] ^^

Rather than going troll mode and having tumblr feminazis, fedora neckbears and chauvinists fight it out, you gotta understand you're on the internet.

Game developers don't censor works because they think your sexuality is somehow inferior, it's to stop kids fighting or atleast slow down the cussing.

I am honestly find with the slang being censored, we can make it fair and have Straight be censored since it is also Slang. :/

TBH Idc either way and i was just bringing up the subject that the word isn't banned, its just the slang is banned.

Because I don't want to be kicked for saying "it's straight up.." Or "straight down there" ...etc