The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Tenno Are Horrible Monsters!

Hixlysss

We are so vain in our desire to have a pet kubrow that we let them suffer just to fight by our side and suffer more. DNA Stabilizers, plus the degradation of their DNA/Health over time, creates the feeling that our Kubrow's are just constantly dieing because WE tampered with their DNA to make them a "tame" kubrow, compared to the feral kubrows.

While I understand the mechanic behind it, the wording leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's like they are slowly dieing of cancer and we have to keep giving them chemo so they can survive. Just to be like "here is your gun soldier, go out and fight beside me!" It...it just feels bad and evil.

Again, the mechanics behind it are fine, but the wording is bad. I'd gladly trade "DNA Integrity" for "Physical Condition" and "DNA Stabilizers" For "Kubrow Chow" please. Just change the wording! I don't wanna be an evil tenno dragging my poor cancer patient into a fight and having them dig up stuff for me D:

But.. isn't that exactly what we're doing?

We killed their parents, burned their homes, incubated them in a cramped ship, raised them in that same cramped ship, collar them when they mature, and bring them out on missions where they are the priority target for enemies to shoot at.  All for our personal enjoyment.

This...is...something I never realized, and to be honest, I think it just ruined kubrows for me.

I know right? It makes me feel bad.

what is DNA integrity is just future talk for physical condition.

Still bad wording because DNA is not your Physical Condition. If you're hungry, that isn't related to your DNA. If you have a broken leg, that isn't DNA, DNA is what tells what color your eyes are, your overall basic "build" and what you would naturally be good at.

Guys, your Kubrows are not 'pets.'

They are not your 'family dog.'

They are cloned  bio-weapons, engineered to kill, and capable of ripping through layers of armor with their bare teeth

Edited by Hexagoros

We don't care if it's technobabble, we don't like the flavor. It's depressing, it's grimdark, it makes me feel like my ship is a hospice.

I'll take the DNA stabilizers as a replacement for rabies shots - a set of injections you use to make sure they grow up big and strong and infestation resistant without any deviation or degradation in their stats - but I absolutely do not want that to be their "food." I want FOOD to be their food.

They are cloned  bio-weapons, engineered to kill, and capable of ripping through layers of armor with their bare teeth

Wrong. They are companions. Watch the relevant devstream(s) and listen to The Lotus as she talks about them. "Every Tenno deserves to have a Kubrow by their side," speaking as if they are companions... and to get rid of one you have to take up a quest to drive them off, because the developers EXPLICITLY wanted us to FEEL for them... like PETS.

Edited by Adreni

But.. isn't that exactly what we're doing?

We killed their parents, burned their homes, incubated them in a cramped ship, raised them in that same cramped ship, collar them when they mature, and bring them out on missions where they are the priority target for enemies to shoot at.  All for our personal enjoyment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"The mechanics are fine"?
No. No they aren't. Sentinels don't degrade over time. Remove that and just have loyalty boost HP AND damage, and change the stabilizers to snacks. Increase a little loyalty via interaction, or a ton via the snacks.

We don't care if it's technobabble, we don't like the flavor. It's depressing, it's grimdark, it makes me feel like my ship is a hospice.

I'll take the DNA stabilizers as a replacement for rabies shots - a set of injections you use to make sure they grow up big and strong and infestation resistant without any deviation or degradation in their stats - but I absolutely do not want that to be their "food." I want FOOD to be their food.

No.  Just no.

The fact that there are DNA stabilizers, and incubation, and DNA Imprints keeps the 'Sci-Fi Feel.'  Otherwise, the ship becomes nothing more than a kennel.

Kubrows are engineered for war.  How does a Kubrow survive the Void of Space without being genetically engineered?  How does a kubrow rip through armor without some kind of biological midification?  The Kubrow is a weapon.  Not a pet.

"The mechanics are fine"?

No. No they aren't. Sentinels don't degrade over time. Remove that and just have loyalty boost HP AND damage, and change the stabilizers to snacks. Increase a little loyalty via interaction, or a ton via the snacks.

I agree, the "DNA Integrity" and "Loyalty" Are a bit much. WE have to control 2 stats to keep them at "Peak" condition, one of which is EXPENSIVE as hell, the other has a set limit per day of increasing.

THe long and short of it is, DE wanted this to be a companion, something we emotionally invest ourselves into. And I did just that, and the wording made me feel sad. I am merciful, I don't want my pet to suffer, I want it to have a peaceful time, and when it's time comes a quick and painless death. But no, they use these words of DNA Integrity to make it feel like my kubrow is slowly dieing every day and I have to work my &#! off to keep it from simply dieing.

If it was just a matter of keeping it fed it feels...better. I have to feed my pets all the time, but I don't have a pet with cancer that I have to give chemo to because if it has cancer and is going to die no matter what I do, that I just use chemo to "prolong" it's life with me, I'd put my pet to sleep than let it suffer.

No.  Just no.

The fact that there are DNA stabilizers, and incubation, and DNA Imprints keeps the 'Sci-Fi Feel.'  Otherwise, the ship becomes nothing more than a kennel.

Kubrows are engineered for war.  How does a Kubrow survive the Void of Space without being genetically engineered?  How does a kubrow rip through armor without some kind of biological midification?  The Kubrow is a weapon.  Not a pet.

Sorry buddy, that's not how the devs have built this up at all. I appreciate that you have your way of looking at them, and if you want to treat them as just another addition to your arsenal, be my guest, but that's not what the devs intended.

I agree, the "DNA Integrity" and "Loyalty" Are a bit much. WE have to control 2 stats to keep them at "Peak" condition, one of which is EXPENSIVE as hell, the other has a set limit per day of increasing.

THe long and short of it is, DE wanted this to be a companion, something we emotionally invest ourselves into. And I did just that, and the wording made me feel sad. I am merciful, I don't want my pet to suffer, I want it to have a peaceful time, and when it's time comes a quick and painless death. But no, they use these words of DNA Integrity to make it feel like my kubrow is slowly dieing every day and I have to work my @$$ off to keep it from simply dieing.

If it was just a matter of keeping it fed it feels...better. I have to feed my pets all the time, but I don't have a pet with cancer that I have to give chemo to because if it has cancer and is going to die no matter what I do, that I just use chemo to "prolong" it's life with me, I'd put my pet to sleep than let it suffer.

I don't mind the upkeep at all! They make it feel alive, and if carried out properly they'll give you an even better sense of satisfaction. Hell, I'm recommending ADDING upkeep: Use the stabilizers as "vaccine shots" for their youth, while adding "food" to replace what the stabilizers are currently used for.

Edited by Adreni

im going to have to disagree with the OP here. I think you argument is misplaced for a video game that it a work of fiction. I love my Kubrow to death. Ive spent hours farming just to get the best mods for him. Just becasue the wording is different dosnt change what they were ment to do. the universe is cruel. DO you still take care of them? do you still strive to make them as good as they can be? then you shouldnt trip over the wording of a UI that is kind of accurate to the state of the Kubrow. 

THe long and short of it is, DE wanted this to be a companion, something we emotionally invest ourselves into. And I did just that, and the wording made me feel sad. I am merciful, I don't want my pet to suffer, I want it to have a peaceful time, and when it's time comes a quick and painless death. But no, they use these words of DNA Integrity to make it feel like my kubrow is slowly dieing every day and I have to work my @$$ off to keep it from simply dieing.

100k credits is literally about 15-20 minutes on Sechura Pluto.

Also, you don't want you Kubrow to suffer...yet you are taking him into battle where he 'will' be shot at, poisoned, stabbed, and electrocuted...sometimes all at once.

Sorry buddy, that's not how the devs have built this up at all. I appreciate that you have your way of looking at them, and if you want to treat them as just another addition to your arsenal, be my guest, but that's not what the devs intended.

Not what the Devs intended?  Huh?

That's what's there...

Edited by Hexagoros

I'd put my pet to sleep than let it suffer.

Agreed... In fact, I've made that choice once. But the fact stands that, as it is, Kubrows are a giant credit black hole with grim concepts and a whole lot of hype. I don't even know if they're worth the work! I've seen no videos and my own isn't grown yet. On TOP of mods that require a ton of resources to upgrade, and so on. It just makes no sense, no matter how you look at it.

No.  Just no.

The "Survive the void of space" is easy. Their shields, the shields have shown to go down when depressurized, so we can assume they contain some atmosphere as well. As for they rip through armor without biological modification? Uh...dude, look at Rhinos, look at Lions and Tigers, they are powerful predators, kubrow's are BIG and canines, they have POWERFUL jaws by their very nature.

And you are forgetting, DE said these are our COMPANIONS heck, even lotus said so! They are creating this...emotional investment into these creatures while also making us feel like horrible monsters because "Our kubrow is going to die because we #*($%%@ with it's genetics to make it docile so I have to inject it all the time just to keep it from dieing."

wut.

No thanks. If they're going to add food/snacks I'd rather it be separate. DNA stabilizers are to maintain their 'slowly' degrading DNA. Nothing says that they're suffering any pain, nor does anything say that the DNA stabilizers cause them pain or any adverse side affects, so the cancer and chemo thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The only similarities they share is that kubrow have an incurable problem that you can stave off but never cure through the use of a item. The pain, suffering, and inevitability of death that come with the cancer and chemo example do not apply here.

You guys are seeing suffering where there is nothing to support that assumption. 

The "Survive the void of space" is easy. Their shields, the shields have shown to go down when depressurized, so we can assume they contain some atmosphere as well. As for they rip through armor without biological modification? Uh...dude, look at Rhinos, look at Lions and Tigers, they are powerful predators, kubrow's are BIG and canines, they have POWERFUL jaws by their very nature.

And you are forgetting, DE said these are our COMPANIONS heck, even lotus said so! They are creating this...emotional investment into these creatures while also making us feel like horrible monsters because "Our kubrow is going to die because we #*($%%@ with it's genetics to make it docile so I have to inject it all the time just to keep it from dieing."

So you believe a Lion could get shot at by a gineer, or poisoned by an Ancient, and not even flinch the way our Kubrows do?

Also, you are putting mods on your Kubrow.  Last I checked, the Kubrows aren't holding/wearing any gear.  So...guess what your 'modding' when you mod your Kubrow. ;)

You mention shields...I don't see any external shielding system, unless that 'Collar' is very, very invasive unit grafted into their neck...

Edited by Hexagoros

wut.

No thanks. If they're going to add food/snacks I'd rather it be separate. DNA stabilizers are to maintain their 'slowly' degrading DNA. Nothing says that they're suffering any pain, nor does anything say that the DNA stabilizers cause them pain or any adverse side affects, so the cancer and chemo thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The only similarities they share is that kubrow have an incurable problem that you can stave off but never cure through the use of a item. The pain, suffering, and inevitability of death that come with the cancer and chemo example do not apply here.

You guys are seeing suffering where there is nothing to support that assumption. 

It's the grimdark flavor, not just the "suffering."

I mean, if we have to give them DNA stabilizers every so often to keep their STATS in check... sounds good! Just don't make it something that defines life and death.

So you believe a Lion could get shot at by a gineer, or poisoned by an Ancient, and not even flinch the way our Kubrows do?

Also, you are putting mods on your Kubrow.  Last I checked, the Kubrows aren't holding/wearing any gear.  So...guess what your 'modding' when you mod your Kubrow. ;)

Perhaps over years, generations, of evolution...Yes. Their hides could become more dense and resist or lessen damage from bullets, native toxin's could help build immunity to the poisons from ancients. And yes, the kubrows do have gear, the collar. You're modding the collar to give benefits to the kubrow.

It's the grimdark flavor, not just the "suffering."

I mean, if we have to give them DNA stabilizers every so often to keep their STATS in check... sounds good! Just don't make it something that defines life and death.

Dude, come on, you have spent all of your time warframe slicing people in half.

Do you honestly believe 'every' Crewman employed by Corpus 'deserves' to die?  You don't think it's possible that some of them are just doing a job being 'crewmen?'  Think about that for a second.

Yes, our Kubrows are clones.  Yes, they need stabilizers to keep their cloned DNA in check.  What's the problem?

Perhaps over years, generations, of evolution...Yes. Their hides could become more dense and resist or lessen damage from bullets, native toxin's could help build immunity to the poisons from ancients. And yes, the kubrows do have gear, the collar. You're modding the collar to give benefits to the kubrow.

And how does that collar benefit their their entire physiology without being massively invasive?

Edited by Hexagoros