Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Revamp Suggestion (Post Here)

(PSN)kiddplay13

Ok with the upcoming Sniper Rifles revamp, we should all post our suggestions here. I don't wanna call it a Mega Thread yet if we only get like 20 Replies lol.

My Suggestion: is all Sniper Rifles should have some type innate Punch Through. It only makes sense that a high powered Bolt Action Rifle goes through a body or two.

Vulkar: Increased... I don't even care. Vulkar is awful. Make it better.

Vectis: Greater max ammunition count.

LANKA (MASTER RACE): Hitscan when at full charge, projectile accelerates with charge time. Lengthen the charge to 2 seconds if necessary.

Snipetron (Vandal): Increased status and crit change (slightly)

I think that all the Sniper Rifles need a gigantic headshot/critical multiplier. Their critical chance and multiplier would increase when hitting the head, as well as a base damage increase for headshots. Chest shots would do less than headshots, but more than limb shots. Also, more damage the further you are away from the target.

Lanka-specific:

Please make it hitscan, or at least increase projectile speed to something comparable to the Seer. Having a sniper touted as a 'coilgun' that has noticeable travel time kills the engineer in me, given that the whole point of a coilgun is to fire large, aerodynamic slugs of metal at insane speeds. If a traditional ballistics burst-fire rifle such as the Hind is hitscan, why the Hek is a sniper, of all things, not?

Its inherent electricity damage also goes against what the word 'coilgun' represents. Fine, electricity isn't the worst elemental damage type to have, but it's disappointing to have no physical damage and have to use the Lanka very situationally built. While not as much an issue for players use to modding, it's still a poor substitute for base physical damage in terms of versatility, but that's a problem I have with elemental weapons in general. I would have to suggest at least adding base puncture, if not impact damage, to the Lanka, and have a smaller innate electricity element alongside it to simulate the formation of plasma. But having electricity alone seems a bit off the mark to me.

Innate punchthrough is a poor secondary utility when projectile speed is an issue. The soma with hush, eagle eye and metal auger performs exactly the same function, with a much higher ammo efficiency too. It does not compensate for the fact that Lanka projectiles have travel time, and is indeed quite sadness-inducing when you see the enemy lined up and release the shot only for them to start patrolling again and miss the double-kill. It's a complete laugh when you consider you're trying this with what's supposed to be a coilgun. Punchthrough would be fine to include if the Lanka had no travel time, but now? It doesn't synergise particularly well with the rest of the weapon.

I don't know if it fits but...

I want a mod that allows for X-ray vision like the codex scanner, so punch-through is a bit more useful other than multiple enemy takedowns

And if it's possible, turn the Lanka into something like the Javelin from Mass Effect

Vulkar: Increased... I don't even care. Vulkar is awful. Make it better.

Each second adds +1 to the clip, like a bolt-action rifle (e.g.: Vulkar clip is empty. The player reloads for two seconds, then stops. The clip now has two bullets). 

That should make it both unique and actually more useful in a fight. 

don't buff sniper like if they were semi auto rifles, sniper are sniper:

buff their crit multiplier, crit chance, status chance, multiplier when aiming weak points.

but don't increase too much their magazine, and if yo ubuff the reload time, make it carefully

don't buff sniper like if they were semi auto rifles, sniper are sniper:

buff their crit multiplier, crit chance, status chance, multiplier when aiming weak points.

but don't increase too much their magazine, and if yo ubuff the reload time, make it carefully

There are some snipers that actually have to be reloaded bullet by bullet, and the Vulkar looks like one, so why not?

It can bring something new to the table (i.e. fill a small niche to make it more useful). 

Sniper should be a "one shot one kill" kind of style. Vectis is a good example of a high risk high reward kind of weapon to be used in the current state of the game. You have only one shot, make it count.

1) Innate armor pen on head shot : Armor is what kills damage in the late game due to infinite scaling. By adding an armor penetration to the sniper rifle, it will remain as a good damage weapon when the other types are starting to fall off, assuming you land a headshot.

2) Innate Punch through : I don't get why snipers don't have 1-2 m punch through at all time to begin with.

3) A better mod for Reload speed would be nice : Sniper damage is actually greatly decided by the reload speed, especially if you use Primed or Charged chamber. Other kind of weapon don't care since a whole mag will kill a big group but a sniper will only kill a couple of targets. Some kind of nightmare mod between Crit/damage and Reload speed would fix this.

4) Better accuracy : I had to remove heavy caliber from my customization because it guts my ability to headshot by forcing a miss even if it would normall hit. Why is the accuracy on sniper rifle so low to begin with? They should have a minimum of 30-40, not 13.

5) Primed Chamber is more of an exclusive item : One of the greatest mod for a sniper rifle is but a trophy and the charged chamber is, although great, isn't that great. How well your sniper rifle will perform is completely decided by how rich or how old you are.

Make the current primed chamber into some kind of special trophy (for collectors) and make charged chamber almost as good (80%) if you don't want to release it again anytime soon.

1:  Make sniper scopes useful by adding the codex scanner's x-ray vision.  Perhaps highlight enemy weakpoints in a similar manner to banshee's sonar ability.  This will make innate punch-through more useful on sniper weapons since you will be able to hit enemies that are otherwise completely obscured by cover/doors.

2:  "Invert" the lanka's charge timer.  The weapon sould always be charging on its own.  The player shouldn't be holding the trigger down forever and the charge should not be lost if the player is interrupted.  Have't fired a shot in awhile and an enemy wanders into your view?  Fire off a snap shot for full power.  Then you can either wait for the weapon to recharge on its own or snap off a quicker follow up shot for reduced damage.

This would only be a marginal buff to the lanka's performance since it still needs to charge, but it would be a MASSIVE quality of life improvement for players using the weapon.  Although while we're talking about it, the lanka's charge timer should probably be reduced as well.

3:  Give sniper weapons an innate 10% multi-shot chance so that they reach 100% with split chamber.  Assault weapons can make due with a 90% boost in output, but sniper weapons can't afford the inconcistency of dud shots.

4:  Re-release primed chamber.  Alternatively, prevent players from using both primed chamber and charged chamber simultaneously and buff charged chamber to primed chamber's level.  Give primed chamber some special effect like enemies exploding in showers of gold or something so that it becomes a prestige item like TF2's golden wrenches rather than a straight upgrade.

Edited by GeneralArmchair

1. Increased critical chance/damage on weakpoints, to give snipers a more strategic way to take down an enemy besides just repeatedly spamming their fire key at someone till they die.

2. X-Ray Vision Mod: Like the Codex Scanner, but not as overpowered. So here's how X-Ray vision for a sniper would work: everytime an enemy is facing your direction, or you're facing them, but can't view them, looking through the scope will send off a pulse in a small radius to reveal the enemy's location, but it will only go off once, unless you kill the enemy, and the pulse will recharge.

3. Primed Chamber to be released again, and Charged Chamber buffed: Simple, buff Charged Chamber to 60 or 70%, and have Primed Chamber appear as another event mod or drop from an uncommon enemy, so it's difficult to get it, but it will be worth it. (I'm looking at you, Gleaming Talon and Leech Osprey!)

4: Make the Vulkar not dumb: This is self-explanatory.

5: Increase the accuracy depending on your current stance (not melee stance mod): By this, I mean change the accuracy depending on what your position is. Kinda of like modern FPS where you could crouch or go prone to increase your accuracy. Make it so if you stop moving, and crouch, you would get the most accuracy available, but not too much that it will be overpowered.

These are some good ideas, but I'd like to see others :P

I agree with many of the posts, but DE should bring back the Snipetron, and Snipetron Vandal. The only puncture based snipers are the Snipetrons, also DE removed the snipetron because it didn't fit into the lore of the corpus, however the braton and lato shoot bullets and are corpus design which makes no sense saying they both have vandal versions. Also to add in, they should change the model of the lanka if they are going to add the Snipetrons back into the game.

Edited by Agamemnon.

I think snipers need buffs similar to bows (Increase Crit chance, Crit damage, Overall damage) but I also think they need some sort of crowd control buff. This could be innate punch through, but it also could be an increased mag size. I'd prefer the increased mag size so there would be a reason to use snipers instead of bows in a given situation.

This is mostly going to be aimed at the Vectis, since I use that most often.

1) Crit Chance Similar to the Bows: Let sniper rifles have 100% crit chance with a maxed Point Strike. More than 100% is unnecessary, but would be nice.

2) Sniper Rifles should have 100% multishot with max Split Chamber, or Split Chamber should grant 100% multishot at max rank.

These are my main two gripes. I don't really mind not having Punch Through, as I really don't think these weapons should be used to clear small fry (melee weapons and secondaries are much more suited for that purpose), and should instead focus solely on dealing as much damage as possible in a single shot as consistently as possible. To that end, we need guaranteed critical hits and guaranteed multishot, rather than having that chance of scoring no crits or no multishot and being unable to kill an enemy that we would otherwise have the damage to kill.

Consistency is key, and snipers currently have too many chances to be inconsistent wholly independent of their aiming ability.

I'd also like more damage (who wouldn't?), but I can see that that could be unbalanced, so I'm not going to push that one.

Edited by gallowsCalibrator

General ideas:

Innate punchthrough on all sniper class weapons 1-2 on "standard"; maintain Lanka's 5 meter pierce, higher crit damage/chance (should be able to get to or surpass 100% like the bows). Make Vulkar useable past Mars(if you even make it that far), either give Lanka specifically the X-ray/codex enemy viewing feature, or make it a mod for all snipers/make it a feature of the scopes(different visual representations per scope type for aesthetics? Ex: Codex style for Corpus snipers, a Red/orange outline around the enemy for Grineer snipers etc). Variable zoom, not sure how it could be implemented, scrollwheel while zoomed with a sniper?

Weapon specific ideas:

-Give Vulkar an all around buff before including the sniper buffs

-Make Vulkar the "status" sniper(as Grineer weapons tend to be)

-Make Lanka's bullet velocity go up with charge percentage 0%(tap) being as it is now or slower, 100% being hitscan

-Consider making Lanka physical damage once more(puncture/impact heavy, zero slash) as while it's an energy weapon, the projectile isn't energy itself(being a railgun/coilgun)

-Slow down vectis's reload, give it a higher crit chance and weakpoint damage

-Give snipetron better crit stats than most other snipers(though only slightly)(Also applies to vandal, which is still slightly better than regular)