Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rwby

FrostWolf

I never touched Gundam with a 10-foot pole, can't stand how they pretend to be "Realistic" while still using anime robots.

Good for you. Dunno if you've been spoiled by the awful likes of Gundam Wing and Seed, or if you've even bothered to check the original universe, but it's funny that it bothers you lol

Anyway, I'm working on a female wolverine Faunus who plays a heavy gunner/artillery support role, but has a massive sword bayonet attached to the bottom of her weapon if anyone gets too close. She may or may not have been part of White Fang before leaving that organization, though she's far more directly, and even physically, confrontational against humans than the likes of Blake or Velvet due to her nature. 

She also may or may not have been inspired by Imca from Valkyria Chronicles 3.

Edited by djentlemenBehold

Depends on what you call giant. In the first few UC series you had mobile suits average between 60-70 feet, and they were far easier to operate in space than they were under Earth's gravity for obvious reasons. Past UC100, they started downsizing, so now mobile suits averaged between 40-50 feet tall. 

Battletech's just as ridiculous with their silly ridiculous chicken walkers, and the MechWarrior community's hilarious for their awful elitism. 

It's a chainsaw grip.

Tricky, acceptable.

But I have some points to fill out.

1. Its design is too "uncanny" as the Stock should simply slide through the iron sights and the chamber awkwardly.

2. The clip should stay as it is. As this should prevent the entire gun from jamming. If it does enter the gun deeper, the metal case slips within vital components of the weapon causing significant change requirements before re-accepting itself as a gun after Zweihander uses.

3. Same with the Barrel for number 2. Though make some decorations into it, such as another iron sight.

4. Tips in between of the blade is good, but it'll make the entire blade's "shell" even thinner as the lower blade already gives the fragility of the blade.

5. Handle & Trigger, good. :3

6. Consider the clip with a better design, other than its traditional FAMAS outlook.

That's all. :D

Good for you. Dunno if you've been spoiled by the awful likes of Gundam Wing and Seed, or if you've even bothered to check the original universe, but it's funny that it bothers you lol

Anyway, I'm working on a female wolverine Faunus who plays a heavy gunner/artillery support role, but has a massive sword bayonet attached to the bottom of her weapon if anyone gets too close. She may or may not have been part of White Fang before leaving that organization, though she's far more directly, and even physically, confrontational against humans than the likes of Blake or Velvet due to her nature. 

She also may or may not have been inspired by Imca from Valkyria Chronicles 3.

lol implying wing and seed are awful 

Seriously, it looks like the sword has diarhea.

Anyway, I CAME UP WITH THE FOLLOWING FIRST

Multiple Barrel Assault Flail (Gattling M249 SAW that turns into a 2-handed triple head flail)

Variable Dust Warhead Longbow (Green arrow, with dust)

Razor Cable Grappling Tomahawk (Grapping hook gun/semiauto pistol with the hook as a Tomahawk, oh and razor sharp edges on the cable)

Dual-form Flame Shield (Riot/Tower shield flamethrower that can be switched into two seperate smaller shields, also ridden as surfboard).

A little surprised at some of the objections to the GH. Hello, this is RWBY! So you think they should re-design Crescent Rose and them to not change the barrel or clip positions? Hah. Hahahahaha. Haha.

You're hilarious.

Tricky, acceptable.

But I have some points to fill out.

1. Its design is too "uncanny" as the Stock should simply slide through the iron sights and the chamber awkwardly.

2. The clip should stay as it is. As this should prevent the entire gun from jamming. If it does enter the gun deeper, the metal case slips within vital components of the weapon causing significant change requirements before re-accepting itself as a gun after Zweihander uses.

3. Same with the Barrel for number 2. Though make some decorations into it, such as another iron sight.

4. Tips in between of the blade is good, but it'll make the entire blade's "shell" even thinner as the lower blade already gives the fragility of the blade.

5. Handle & Trigger, good. :3

6. Consider the clip with a better design, other than its traditional FAMAS outlook.

That's all. :D

Ok, first, stop trying to use Uncanny. You're using it wrong.

1)Ok, seriously? I could do that stock in two sections, with a catch that slides back into a groove in the rest of the stock and makes it so there is no clipping. And indeed, that's the design I would use if I actually made a prop version. But this is a low-poly model suitable for a game or for a real-time animation of the style RWBY is. I'm not going to bother.

2)There's no reason not to assume that that entire section of the inner mechanism moves with the clip. Re-aligning that entire section before it can again function as a gun is not a big deal. The clip should not stay as it is, it sticks out too much and could interfere with his swordplay. You argument is invalid.

Or I could even say that the magazine is engineered to have two functional points that it can interface from. When it slides further in, it simply matches up that second point (with the end result being that the two or three rounds above that point can't be fired, reducing the clip size). It's really not something I'm worried about.

3)Just as invalid as number two. No reason it can't collapse. Besides, as I've pointed out in the past, there is no indication that there are actual physical bullets and shells. If it's completely dust-related, there's really no reason it can't collapse.

Besides, even if there are, Ruby's scythe extends and collapse--and it can fire in both modes. Clearly, they can get around the mechanical shifting problems that might arise. So your argument is doubly invalid.

4)I don't understand your objection. Your wording is extremely unclear. If you're objecting to the parierhaken hooks that fold out of the blade, just look at the other collapsing weapons (*cough*EveryWeaponInRWBY*cough*). They obviously must have some way to make these things quite sturdy and durable despite the hollow areas and relatively thin plating. I expect Aura and their ability to serve as its conduit plays a role in further reinforcing things. Regardless, the world of RWBY clearly invalidates this argument, too.

5)Then why is it on your list of "points to fill out?"

6)No. It's already slightly altered from the normal FAMAS one, I'm not altering it further. I like it.

One problem

SWEET MOTHER OF HAMMERSPACE THAT BLADE IS HUEG

7. This

Well, it is a two-handed greatsword. It's the same size as actual medieval ones were, like the English Longsword and Scottish Claymore. I did my research when designing this thing--and I'm certainly not going to change its size again, it could technically be even larger but this was the size that I thought looked the best and would handle right.

Edited by Siubijeni

A little surprised at some of the objections to the GH. Hello, this is RWBY! So you think they should re-design Crescent Rose and them to not change the barrel or clip positions? Hah. Hahahahaha. Haha.

You're hilarious.

So you're saying your previous contradictions towards me about RWBY as not being Sci-Fi is applicable?

You're even more hilarious than I thought you were. :3

So you're saying your previous contradictions towards me about RWBY as not being Sci-Fi is applicable?

You're even more hilarious than I thought you were. :3

Excuse me? I said no such thing, as well you know. Stop taking things out of context. RWBY is not sci-fi. It's fantasy. That doesn't mean it doesn't have to have some degree of realism, which is where the problems and arguments earlier arose.

What I'm pointing out now is that for the world of RWBY, this is not unrealistic. They clearly have some metals/materials that are quite strong and durable. That's the only way the weapons they use could transform the way they do and stand up to the rigors of combat. And thus, the hollow blade and designs of Grave Hellebore are not problematic at all, and all your "real-world" objections are void.

Well, it is a two-handed greatsword. It's the same size as actual medieval ones were, like the English Longsword and Scottish Claymore. I did my research when designing this thing--and I'm certainly not going to change its size again, it could technically be even larger but this was the size that I thought looked the best and would handle right.

The main objection I have is that the I can't see where it fit in the rifle form maybe have it visibly telescopic, or flip out some other way.

Hence SWEET MOTHER OF HAMMERSPACE

I don't know how to make the telescoping any more visible than that. The sections are telescoping, but cel-shading has its limits and it's just not really visible. I'll note that on the telescoping weapons already present in RWBY (primarily Crescent Rose and Milo), you can't really see the sections collapsing either--but that's obviously what they have to be doing. So I don't feel any need to change that, either... beyond fixing the interference, of course.

Edited by Siubijeni

Variable Dust Warhead Longbow (Green arrow, with dust)

Fairly certain that someone else has thought of that elsewhere before you. Probably one of the easiest concepts to come up with.

My wolverine Faunus' weapon is unlike most weapons in the RWBY-verse. Perhaps as a reflection of her crude and unrefined nature, hers does not transform, which on the other hand makes it easier to repair and maintain as there is no transformation mechanism and thus far fewer moving parts. But it obviously means it stays very large and as a result is more difficult to carry around, especially in tight quarters. The weapon consists of an anti-tank gun (37mm cannon) with a heavy machine gun under that, and a massive sword bayonet that runs the length of the weapon below that. 

There are slots for dust canisters, the most commonly used would be yellow, or lightning dust, which turns the cannon into a railgun and the HMG into something like the ChemRail automatic rifle from Elysium.

Fairly certain that someone else has thought of that elsewhere before you. Probably one of the easiest concepts to come up with.

You are correct. In this topic, I'm pretty sure Sixty5 and I were the first to discuss such a possibility--but I'd be willing to bet that it was discussed somewhere else even before that. My wolf Faunus, V, utilizes such a bow.

My wolverine Faunus' weapon is unlike most weapons in the RWBY-verse. Perhaps as a reflection of her crude and unrefined nature, hers does not transform, which on the other hand makes it easier to repair and maintain as there is no transformation mechanism and thus far fewer moving parts. But it obviously means it stays very large and as a result is more difficult to carry around, especially in tight quarters. The weapon consists of an anti-tank gun (37mm cannon) with a heavy machine gun under that, and a massive sword bayonet that runs the length of the weapon below that. 

There are slots for dust canisters, the most commonly used would be yellow, or lightning dust, which turns the cannon into a railgun and the HMG into something like the ChemRail automatic rifle from Elysium.

Seems a bit much... given the recoil and power of the dust weaponry we've seen so far, a 37 mm cannon does not seem like it could possibly be man-portable. I like the idea of a weapon cobbled together like that, though--although it doesn't sound like calling it a railgun when loaded with yellow dust is exactly accurate, which made me sad cause I love railguns and you momentarily got my hopes up.

Edited by Siubijeni

I'm planning to have the bow break appart into a pair of katana,

Can't fit all those words into the name though.

But yeah, I CALL DIBS ON THE NAME.

Anyway, as the largest, the Gatling Rifle needs the most thought.

The Barrels fold away, ontop of the main assembly, with the sight folding into the body, the but of the rifle pushes outwards, with the handle folding up,, then, the 3 heads exit the body, (The actual firing chambers are eletric/plot) and the bullets are fired from there. The rifle butt slides up, revealing a blade, turning the reverse end into a halberd without the speartip.

The best part is, the engine that spins the barrels can be used to spin the flails around turning it into a motorized death wheel, for more solid hitting power, the heads can be retracted into a mace-like design.

Yeah, it's overdone.

Seems a bit much... given the recoil and power of the dust weaponry we've seen so far, a 37 mm cannon does not seem like it could possibly be man-portable. I like the idea of a weapon cobbled together like that, though--although it doesn't sound like calling it a railgun when loaded with yellow dust is exactly accurate, which made me sad cause I love railguns and you momentarily got my hopes up.

I factored in the possibility that Faunus may display more advantages beyond nightvision, which has yet to be confirmed. Wolverines are known for their strength and tenacity, and my character, despite her size, is able to wield such a heavy weapon without breaking her arms when firing it. That and RWBY seems to love taking creative liberties with physics. That said, her mobility is noticeably less than the others, but like Nora, she can use the recoil from her weapon for jumps and traveling distances quicker.

And I see it accurate enough to call it a railgun with the yellow dust, because the lightning from that dust acts as the power source for the conducting rails and the magnetic field.

I'm planning to have the bow break appart into a pair of katana,

Can't fit all those words into the name though.

But yeah, I CALL DIBS ON THE NAME.

Pit from Kid Icarus could break his bow apart into dual swords.

I factored in the possibility that Faunus may display more advantages beyond nightvision, which has yet to be confirmed. Wolverines are known for their strength and tenacity, and my character, despite her size, is able to wield such a heavy weapon without breaking her arms when firing it. That and RWBY seems to love taking creative liberties with physics. That said, her mobility is noticeably less than the others, but like Nora, she can use the recoil from her weapon for jumps and traveling distances quicker.

Fair enough. I'm of the opinion that they probably don't have any advantages besides the enhanced senses, but like you said that has yet to be confirmed. And yes, RWBY takes liberties with physics, except that all the weapons so far have had consistently high recoil. It still seems a bit much but until we know more about Faunus its debatable.

And I see it accurate enough to call it a railgun with the yellow dust, because the lightning from that dust acts as the power source for the conducting rails and the magnetic field.

Yes, but if it's a cannon that can use other types of dust the inclusion of a rail system would either make the slugs smaller than the stated 37 mm size, or the entire weapon even larger to accommodate the more extensive machinery. And at that point, if it fires the slugs via a magnetic rail system, I question its ability to use other dust systems--as you've implied it can. There doesn't seem to be any point, because you'd need an alternate firing system that didn't interfere with the rails and gave a reasonable advantage to doing so.

Fair enough. I'm of the opinion that they probably don't have any advantages besides the enhanced senses, but like you said that has yet to be confirmed. And yes, RWBY takes liberties with physics, except that all the weapons so far have had consistently high recoil. It still seems a bit much but until we know more about Faunus its debatable.

Yes, but if it's a cannon that can use other types of dust the inclusion of a rail system would either make the slugs smaller than the stated 37 mm size, or the entire weapon even larger to accommodate the more extensive machinery. And at that point, if it fires the slugs via a magnetic rail system, I question its ability to use other dust systems--as you've implied it can. There doesn't seem to be any point, because you'd need an alternate firing system that didn't interfere with the rails and gave a reasonable advantage to doing so.

Hence why I said she is one of the very few who can consistently fire it without shattering her arms.

And I left that deliberately open ended to the possibility it might use other dust systems. I actually do not have plans for it to use any other type of dust other than yellow.

It's equipped to use several ammunition types, as far as the 37 mm cannon is concerned. It can use a RWBY-verse allegory of High Explosive/Armor Penetrating Rounds, and airburst rounds as well. The kinetic penetrators it uses are for the railgun. Though with what you've said, I'd be better off making it a Gauss cannon instead. The weapon itself is already large enough as it is (put it simply, my character's around the 5' mark, this thing is taller than she is). 

Hence why I said she is one of the very few who can consistently fire it without shattering her arms.

The weapon itself is already large enough as it is (put it simply, my character's around the 5' mark, this thing is taller than she is). 

So she looks like a bolt-on accessory to her own weapon. I'm having increasing doubts the she could fire it even if Faunus are more durable and stronger.

And I left that deliberately open ended to the possibility it might use other dust systems. I actually do not have plans for it to use any other type of dust other than yellow.

Ok, then, that makes more sense. Railgun or Coilgun, it doesn't really matter--it only makes sense with the yellow dust in that scenario. Any other dust would need an alternate propulsion system that would not interfere with the rails or coils. Such a system would make the gun bulkier and have no point, because it doesn't offer any advantages compared to the magnetic system already in place.

In fact, if you have a railgun or coilgun efficient enough be used for such a weapon, why would you use anything else? You already have all of the advantages--in fantasy and sci-fi, magnetic weapons are generally portrayed as silent (or nearly so) and with negligible recoil. It makes sense to do so, too.

So she looks like a bolt-on accessory to her own weapon. I'm having increasing doubts the she could fire it even if Faunus are more durable and stronger.

Ok, then, that makes more sense. Railgun or Coilgun, it doesn't really matter--it only makes sense with the yellow dust in that scenario. Any other dust would need an alternate propulsion system that would not interfere with the rails or coils. Such a system would make the gun bulkier and have no point, because it doesn't offer any advantages compared to the magnetic system already in place.

In fact, if you have a railgun or coilgun efficient enough be used for such a weapon, why would you use anything else? You already have all of the advantages--in fantasy and sci-fi, magnetic weapons are generally portrayed as silent (or nearly so) and with negligible recoil. It makes sense to do so, too.

This is the total length of the weapon we're talking about, including the long hilt attached to the end for her to be able to swing it as a greatsword. The cannon/HMG part of it's at most as tall as she is, and at the very least up to her neck.

And yeah, it was my intention to keep it with just a conventional firing mode and lightning dust mode.

This is the total length of the weapon we're talking about, including the long hilt attached to the end for her to be able to swing it as a greatsword. The cannon/HMG part of it's at most as tall as she is, and at the very least up to her neck.

I stand by what I said, then. And the increasing doubts are solidifying.

I stand by what I said, then. And the increasing doubts are solidifying.

Doesn't make much difference in the end. You're not the one making up the rules for this universe and you've got far more incredible abilities for your characters. This is nothing compared to that. You're hung up on solely the fact it's an oversized weapon at this point. I did try to justify it by stating her speed and mobility are less than average because of it and the fact she prefers to play a heavy ranged support role, and tends to adopt a bracing stance before firing so she doesn't get knocked on her back. It was also to be a running joke that she might be overcompensating for something (her size). I also will once again invoke RWBY taking creative liberties with physics, biggest examples being Nora and Ruby. And from what I've seen, there are certain characters posted here with far more problems than a mere oversized weapon.

This ain't hard sci-fi.

So meh, keep your doubts. Considering how much refining was done, those doubts don't mean much at this point. I'm personally satisfied with where it is at this point.

I did try to justify it by stating her speed and mobility are less than average because of it and the fact she prefers to play a heavy ranged support role, and tends to adopt a bracing stance before firing so she doesn't get knocked on her back. It was also to be a running joke that she might be overcompensating for something (her size). I also will once again invoke RWBY taking creative liberties with physics, biggest examples being Nora and Ruby.

Actually, you didn't say the bolded part before. Your only previous justification was that she was part Faunus--and you're right, I don't make the rules, but neither do you. You don't know that the Faunus thing is any sort of valid justification, same as I don't know that it isn't. But there's no indication so far that it is, and frankly some vague indications that it isn't.

My point was never that you needed to change it, or that I thought it wouldn't work at all. My point was that its better to err on the side of caution, and if the Faunus thing is ever explicitly said to be false, your character's plausibility takes a major hit. A 37mm cannon-sized hit. I am perhaps hung up on the oversized weapon, but that's because with how powerful small arms have been shown to be... the idea of a hand-held cannon of that size is... I don't even know how to describe it. A lot of the OCs people are creating are being made with the contest Monty hinted at in mind, so I was just pointing out that in that (somewhat likely) event, your character would have little to no chance in that competition--if you cared.

you've got far more incredible abilities for your characters. This is nothing compared to that. And from what I've seen, there are certain characters posted here with far more problems than a mere oversized weapon.

I disagree completely on my abilities being more incredible, and I think my semblances are pretty well in line with those we've seen so far. But even if they aren't... you're as bad as Freelancer. You can't use the existence of "more spectacular" abilities as a justification--it doesn't work that way. I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded section, because the only character I've really seen posted here so far is Helix--which has already been discussed as problematic. I've given some very brief and vague descriptions of mine, but not the ones where details have been ironed out--I'm saving those to accompany the concept art.

Your "mere oversized weapon" is not the problem. If it were a matter of size alone... quite frankly I like the idea of a character that, as I put it, looks like a bolt-on accessory to their weapon. And if it were solely a magnetic weapon, obviously recoil isn't a problem, so I have no complaints there, either. What I'm criticizing is your insistence on a "conventional firing mode" in addition to the "lightning dust mode." Braced or not, every evidence says that firing such a weapon should rip her arms out of their sockets--at best.