Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rwby

FrostWolf

I thought of several inventions when I was kid when it comes to weapons.

As Protonus, I made these descriptions to certain weapons I encounter with my dreams.

"Like the Scissor-swords for example, which I posted from the previous page. Slashing causes the first blade to continue right through the victim while the second blade lags back then retracts afterwards, causing significant trauma as the weight of the second blade is forced to partner with the first one."

"I also thought of Power gauntlets, unlike Yang's, its four times the size of a human head, equipped with two Gattling-based miniguns on each side. Obviously, in my account, they're both used by a guy in my story, who loves to punch things... a lot. Also, the gauntlets also do have flamethrowers concealed on each compartment of the gauntlets, since the guy just wanted to see the world burn."

"I have a friend who also carries a neat bow, well, in Nature's terms. It casts a wild variety of stuff, such as making these minion bows to fire along side with the user, just for the liking of hailstorming a group of enemies. The bow itself can generate its own arrows without the help of a quiver piling arrows. It also comes with a mystical Iron-sight, well, not made of iron but it does provide a crosshair out of magic. The bow is generally sturdy enough to act as a quarter-staff, a decent blunt weapon that smash other magic sources with ease. If ever the bow is broken, it can grow itself back."

"My partner has a maul. Well, you think it's a Nora-like system, but you could say that. It comes with a destructive energy core inside, enough to wipe out a planet with a full single charge which kinda requires about a day or so to do what it is necessary. Don't believe me? Well, the hammer itself originated from an ancient alien race that... I don't know... that simply advances technology every day until this alien faction died out mysteriously? Anyway yeah, it shoots energy blasts, smashes skulls far faster than average mauls but it also comes with a Mana stone so potent that it would eradicate magic with a single blow... OP? Sure. It is, but then, what's not to like about a weapon that destroys your doorstep neighbor into bits, but then you won't be able to carry the weapon even if you had it... since because... the user is usually too strong not to carry such thing... since the maul is heavy... yeah."

"A dagger? That's odd. Small, light and incredibly flimsy in cases of dealing intended heavy damage to targets. What makes it so special... well, it does do something a dagger wouldn't normally do... it heals people. Really. Like say, you slash someone with a regular dagger which results to an open wound, then you freaked out, groaning 'Oh my gosh, I just cut my friend's arm off!', then you took another dagger. Yes, THIS dagger, then slash it to that open wound, and then the next thing you see the wound is already closed up, like that you never slashed that person's arm... but you did... twice. Who has this weapon? Well, it's from my 'friend' who's been with me since the day I met her. So, yeah, don't point that thing at my eye. Please."

:3

Edited by Freelancer27

Interesting idea on the dagger, but it seems... I don't know, a little backwards. Counter-intuitive. What happens if you miss their wound?

In regards to a bow, I think I have something pretty cool thought out. Been reading about bow designs and draw weights:

-You all probably know about compound bows and their benefit--they don't significantly decrease the draw weight, but take a lot of strain off holding the bow once its drawn via a sort of fall-off.

-Recurve bows are, I think, equally well known: they provide more force in a smaller package, meaning the bow can be smaller and lighter with the same draw; as a counter, they place more stress on the material, making stronger and more expensive materials necessary. They also tend to make a little more noise when shot.

-What you might not have heard of are cable-backed bows. In these bows, the wood or composite is backed with a strong cord, which braces and strengthens the bow. By adjusting the tension in these cords, you can actually adjust the draw weight of the bow, within a certain range based upon the other design factors of said bow.

None of these are mutually exclusive. They are, in some aspects, limited in combination, but not too badly. I'm no expert, and I've not been able to find anything really definitive, but the main limitation from what I understand is that a compound-recurve hybrid doesn't generally achieve the same levels of fall-off as a pure compound bow does. The latter can achieve 99% falloff, making a 100# draw take only 1# to hold once drawn, while the highest I've seen for the former is 80%, which is fairly average for pure compounds.

Given this, I think I'm going to give my wolf-faunus character a bow that is a combination of all three. Assuming the median point of her bow's tension range puts the draw weight at a typical war bow weight of around 120#, a reasonable range would allow her to decrease it to 80# and increase it to 160# (Actually, I'm fairly certain it could go 60# either way, but everything I've found on cable-backs is a little vague and I prefer to err on the side of caution. So I'll be quoting 80, 120, and 160 instead of 60, 120, and 180).

I know what you're thinking: she's seventeen, and even though these kids are crazy strong, there's no way she could pull that thing at anything over her minimum 80#, so what's the point. Well, that's where her semblance comes into play :D The characters on my team have semblances inspired by the sub-atomic quasi-particles known as bosons. I won't go into my oversimplifications and pseudo-science used to justify the powers, because magic--and I'm probably the only one who feels a need for even a passing explanation. Suffice it to say that if you imagine various aspects of physics and energy as rivers or an ocean with currents, these Semblances allow each member to change the flow of a certain subset of these currents. They really only work for things they are in physical contact with, the exception being the conducive effect of Aura.

Wolf-girl gets to manipulate kinetic energy. We all know how much of an impact motion has upon an applied force, so basically she doesn't entirely have to be able to fully draw the bow, unaided. She just has to get it started, and have some source of energy to feed into herself, thereby speeding the motion and increasing the force of her draw, so long as it is an explosive motion. In point of fact, mechanical motion of any sort is very inefficient, and although not all of this wasted energy will be reclaimable via her power, enough of it is that she could probably draw a moderately higher weight aided only by the influx of her body's own energy (although this won't work for the higher weights). The compound aspect of her bow allows her to hold these draws, since the required force is much lower.

So, to wrap it all up, she has a bow that she can fairly easily adjust the pull weight of--its high, but not war-bow high, only hunting-bow high, which she's presumably trained to handle. When she really needs to, she can bump it up to 160/180 and do 'trick shots' with kinetic absorbtion--and pull a bow that most of her peers (and maybe even a lot of the teachers) couldn't handle. The previously mentioned claw gauntlet worn on her right arm, along with the bow itself (which is obviously quite strong, and as a Huntress' weapon reinforced for combat) provide her with some measure of close-combat protection, while the claw also serves as a hand-guard--necessary when pulling a bow with such high draw weights. Obviously, she'd have to have some sort of vambrace on the other arm, to protect against potential string impacts... but I'm not sure if it should be a claw, too, or just the protective bracer.

Edited by Siubijeni

It feels kinda convenient for the Wolf-girl to get energy-based powers from the fray, but I find it quite interesting. :3

She regards the ability of contortion-like agility and strength allowing her to shift in places of her body that is great in tight spaces or in close quarters, making her a true benefit in such occasions.

I, too, have my own character, you can see this guy in both in my Deviantart account and in my Wiki account on Warframe.

180px-Castle_Cracker.png This guy is about 15 - 17 years old. But his current age is 19, since I follow the real time aging... yeah.

This drawing was there for three years. :P

So, yeah. This is Helix, a frail guy who simply does carry a sword with ease, but is easily get pushed around by his enemies that are simply "rounder" than him. He has advantages that coincidentally match Ruby, 2 years before Ruby herself came up, so Helix is chronologically older. :3

His strengths, well, definitely not strength, but he does rely on incredible feats of agility and speed. Frankly, he can stretch his legs in between up to a full split, nearly impossible for a normal dude. He is a dancer, which makes up to his sprinting speed going up to a rushing 28 kilometers per hour. He spans at a height of 6'2", he can also perform a series of flight moves without the risk of his weight, since he is, surprisingly, lighter than an average girl. Helix is ambidextrous, capable of handling two weapons at a time, he can even write with both hands at once.

So, how did Helix managed to carry a sword, well, the sword itself isn't normal either. It originated from a mystical ore that grants him personal access to this weapon where everyone else can't use it, like Arthur and his Excalibur. :3

The sword is significantly light to Helix but impossibly heavy to other users, think of Mjolinir but as a sword. The sword can divide into two sections, the handle and the blade itself while remaining connected to Helix, this happens when he "throws" the sword in half, as this blade acts like a boomerang that knows where to go.

This weapon can cut through almost everything, especially magical weapons, since the weapon possess anti-magical capabilities where anything that relates to the magical structure of the sword can shatter and absorb into the exterior of the blade, simply Magic weapons that get caught into the touch of the sword will be destroyed and becomes part of the weapon. But this requires time, especially to those similar to Excalibur and Weiss' sword.

Helix's other strengths usually caught up with him as he got older, he gets a "Double Jump" ability, making TF2's Scout look like well... a boy scout. He can also casts magical spells through the use of runes, he can use bows, rifles, shotguns, pistols, throwing knives, rocket launchers and basically every weapon he encountered in his life. He can also carry Ruby's Crescent Rose with little difference, due to his momentum management.

... Yeah. Should I stop having this character complex? If so, I'll stop right here. D:

It feels kinda convenient for the Wolf-girl to get energy-based powers from the fray, but I find it quite interesting. :3

She regards the ability of contortion-like agility and strength allowing her to shift in places of her body that is great in tight spaces or in close quarters, making her a true benefit in such occasions.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Convenient to get what? What is the fray? You lost me entirely.

Ummm... no offense, but it sounds like you like god-complex characters. You make it sound like anything anyone can do, Helix does better. Which is simply absurd, because no one is good at everything. The bit about being able to wield Crescent Rose as efficiently as Ruby is particularly irksome, because its clearly impressive that she can use it so effectively, and she specializes in and has trained with it--all considerations that seem to be thrown aside the second Helix enters the picture. And being able to absorb other people's weapons into his own is probably the silliest aspect of it. Basically, any and all continuities that Helix might be a part of would be unraveled by the mere presence of his god-like abilities. Not very conducive to story-telling, and I can't honestly say I find it cool, either, because what a characters can't do makes their feats that much more impressive.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Convenient to get what? What is the fray? You lost me entirely.

Sorry, I just meant getting powers from a convenient source... yeah...

Ummm... no offense, but it sounds like you like god-complex characters. You make it sound like anything anyone can do, Helix does better. Which is simply absurd, because no one is good at everything. The bit about being able to wield Crescent Rose as efficiently as Ruby is particularly irksome, because its clearly impressive that she can use it so effectively, and she specializes in and has trained with it--all considerations that seem to be thrown aside the second Helix enters the picture. And being able to absorb other people's weapons into his own is probably the silliest aspect of it. Basically, any and all continuities that Helix might be a part of would be unraveled by the mere presence of his god-like abilities. Not very conducive to story-telling, and I can't honestly say I find it cool, either, because what a characters can't do makes their feats that much more impressive.

Totally, what I'm expecting, since I didn't mentioned his weaknesses yet.

He is frantically the lightest of the characters, making him tossable by almost every enemy he faces. Small knockbacks like shoves by a normal person can trip him down to the ground. His magic, as said, relies heavily on runes, by which are too bulky for him to carry around, especially when he is not near a friendly town or base.

Also, he wears metal armor, making Magnets a sure win to get rid of him, especially when pointed on to his signature helmet. Just give it a twirl and he's gone in seconds. Though Helix is skilled in using multiple weapons, he can't actually carry them all at once, especially those that are merely a quarter of his size. Heat is also Helix's weakness, since metal armor.

If Helix loses his sword, he's practically helpless against fast armed-enemies like Ruby.

Double jump can get Helix in certain places, but he can rarely fly.

Helix is not god-like character, he's an average person who underwent a lot of pain and training just to get where he is.

Hope these answer your criticism. :3

Edited by Freelancer27

No, not really. Firstly, it's impossible that he is that light at 6'2". Bones, skin, and organs weight considerably more than most people acknowledge, especially when you consider their accompanying water weight. He would have literally no muscle mass, and be unable to support his own weight, let alone armor or weapons.

Secondly, while weight has an effect upon the transfer of momentum (obviously), in combat footwork and balance play a much bigger role in the sort of shove matches you describe. If those are really his weakness, clearly he is terrible on his feet, and uncoordinated klutz. And yet, you say he is a dancer that does aerial acrobatics and relies on his agility. I call shenanigans.

When you said runes, I thought you meant something like Weiss' glyphs, or Elantris' AonDor. The presence of a physical object does in some part counterbalance this power, depending upon the exact mechanics, so I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.

Magnets are a lousy excuse for a weakness in a fantasy setting. It's not like there are magnetic cranes around that you can grab him with, and magnetism is considerably more complicated that most people let on--rotating his helmet would be enough a feat that its not much of a weakness. Might I also point out the obvious chin-strap, and note that if it serves any purpose other than decorative you'd break his neck attempting to spin his helmet around.

His skills as a weapon master are actually the most realistic aspect of him, I think, but still flawed. True, via hard work and general training he can be skilled with a variety of weapons, and if we're assuming that he's in the world of RWBY and trained with dual-weapons, some measure of proficiency can be expected. However, Ruby uses a weapon that Ozpin (a teacher of warriors, and involved with events in the world at large to an apparently high degree) has only known two skillful users of. The inherent customization of weapons in RWBY means that a general weapon master would be disadvantaged in the first place, but Crescent Rose is doubly so due to the high amount of skill and specialization necessary to wield it. To say that Helix could pick it up and use it even one-tenth as efficiently as Ruby is simply absurd and unbelievable.

Dependance upon a magical weapon, like his world-eating sword, is in my opinion character-breaking. A weapon can be impressive, give advantages (indeed, that's what a weapon is for), and the loss of it can even strike a serious blow to their competence if they are specialized enough, but the instant the loss of a character's weapon means that they might as well not exist... they might as well not exist in the first place, because unless events are seriously contrived the story will not go well. Besides, a weapon master that can only use a specific sword because it's magically light enough for him? How did he train with other weapons in the first place? How does the use of a shotgun not rip his arm out of its socket, and how in heck does he have the strength to pull a bow with any significant draw strength?

How exactly does he 'double jump?' You've given no explanation, just said that he did so even better than the TF2 scout. The scout can do so purely as a gameplay mechanic, but what's Helix's excuse? This type of thing is exactly why I've dubbed him a god-character. I don't even want to know what you mean to say by implying he can sometimes (if only rarely) fly.

Training could explain a general proficiency with weapons, but not much else--even there, you hurt your arguments with his fragility. A great many other aspects of him are self-contradictory.

EDIT: As for getting powers from a convenient source, that's how things go. Her weaponry was thought of before the semblance, actually, and then I expanded upon the weaponry to fit the semblance. That's not even character breaking, because presumably a character wants to fight at their best, and takes their skills, abilities, and preferences into account when training and determining a combat style.

Take Pyrrha. Her shield is not a boomerang, clearly, and she probably pulls it back using her own semblance, when thrown (as with the Deathstalker). And even with a high degree of training, her pilum throw that saves Jaune is remarkably precise despite the range, probably made more so (and possibly corrected, if it would have been off) by nudges with her abilities. Even before we knew her semblance, or even the existence of said abilities, we probably saw it in action.

Edited by Siubijeni

No, not really. Firstly, it's impossible that he is that light at 6'2". Bones, skin, and organs weight considerably more than most people acknowledge, especially when you consider their accompanying water weight. He would have literally no muscle mass, and be unable to support his own weight, let alone armor or weapons.

Secondly, while weight has an effect upon the transfer of momentum (obviously), in combat footwork and balance play a much bigger role in the sort of shove matches you describe. If those are really his weakness, clearly he is terrible on his feet, and uncoordinated klutz. And yet, you say he is a dancer that does aerial acrobatics and relies on his agility. I call shenanigans.

When you said runes, I thought you meant something like Weiss' glyphs, or Elantris' AonDor. The presence of a physical object does in some part counterbalance this power, depending upon the exact mechanics, so I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.

Magnets are a lousy excuse for a weakness in a fantasy setting. It's not like there are magnetic cranes around that you can grab him with, and magnetism is considerably more complicated that most people let on--rotating his helmet would be enough a feat that its not much of a weakness. Might I also point out the obvious chin-strap, and note that if it serves any purpose other than decorative you'd break his neck attempting to spin his helmet around.

His skills as a weapon master are actually the most realistic aspect of him, I think, but still flawed. True, via hard work and general training he can be skilled with a variety of weapons, and if we're assuming that he's in the world of RWBY and trained with dual-weapons, some measure of proficiency can be expected. However, Ruby uses a weapon that Ozpin (a teacher of warriors, and involved with events in the world at large to an apparently high degree) has only known two skillful users of. The inherent customization of weapons in RWBY means that a general weapon master would be disadvantaged in the first place, but Crescent Rose is doubly so due to the high amount of skill and specialization necessary to wield it. To say that Helix could pick it up and use it even one-tenth as efficiently as Ruby is simply absurd and unbelievable.

How exactly does he 'double jump?' You've given no explanation, just said that he did so even better than the TF2 scout. The scout can do so purely as a gameplay mechanic, but what's Helix's excuse? This type of thing is exactly why I've dubbed him a god-character. I don't even want to know what you mean to say by implying he can sometimes (if only rarely) fly.

Training could explain a general proficiency with weapons, but not much else--even there, you hurt your arguments with his fragility. A great many other aspects of him are self-contradictory.

EDIT: As for getting powers from a convenient source, that's how things go. Her weaponry was thought of before the semblance, actually, and then I expanded upon the weaponry to fit the semblance. That's not even character breaking, because presumably a character wants to fight at their best, and takes their skills, abilities, and preferences into account when training and determining a combat style.

Take Pyrrha. Her shield is not a boomerang, clearly, and she probably pulls it back using her own semblance, when thrown (as with the Deathstalker). And even with a high degree of training, her pilum throw that saves Jaune is remarkably precise despite the range, probably made more so (and possibly corrected, if it would have been off) by nudges with her abilities. Even before we knew her semblance, or even the existence of said abilities, we probably saw it in action.

I say it's a pretty well done explanation, and I'm not going against your part as a RWBY fan with the characters having human characteristics but certain people which I do notice can be off-the-chart powerful, like Ruby for example.

Of course nobody can't find Ruby to by intelligent, fast and blistering powerful, which makes my even edge with Helix having certain power match-ups. With her strength that spars beyond Helix's capability, I don't see why Helix is said to be powerful to begin with. Sure, that Helix is a weapons expert, but he is not an engineer, nor he is able to craft any weapons at all.

I could say that his armor can be an apparent excuse to have a weakness, but everyone has their apparel to use for the rest of their timeline, so why not Ruby. I mean, she wears a frilly skirt, which isn't supposed to be there. Skirts are, frankly, the most clumsiest piece to be used in battle, simply because it can get snag on every place you can escape from.

For Helix's height and weight body ratio, well, yeah, it's impossible, and so is Ruby's appetite for cookies in the beginning. She'd literally be dead by now... I think this is too much.

But a clear note which you should know that my ideas are fantasy. Yeah, there are things that just too impossible to exist, some are even contradictory, like you said, but it wouldn't hurt to have a non-existent character to pose such abilities while breaking the laws of physics.

Dependance upon a magical weapon, like his world-eating sword, is in my opinion character-breaking. A weapon can be impressive, give advantages (indeed, that's what a weapon is for), and the loss of it can even strike a serious blow to their competence if they are specialized enough, but the instant the loss of a character's weapon means that they might as well not exist... they might as well not exist in the first place, because unless events are seriously contrived the story will not go well. Besides, a weapon master that can only use a specific sword because it's magically light enough for him? How did he train with other weapons in the first place? How does the use of a shotgun not rip his arm out of its socket, and how in heck does he have the strength to pull a bow with any significant draw strength?

I would love to explain more about the sword, so here: Though it is Anti-magic, it can still have limit on its own, like most enchanted weapons, it has its own "bar of energy" to use to destroy the weapons Helix needed. Overuse the weapon, and it will be nothing more but a regular steel sword, though unbreakable, it will not slice up to solid pieces of steel when depleted.

Helix's experience with other weapons becomes a case since the only weapon he had before was a sword, so he DID got open into studying other weapons, such as the weapons carried by his own enemies.

This won't mean he can't win over people instantly as he knows the weapon held by his enemies, since he is actually a typical human with impossible weight-height ratio.

But gosh, I never thought you would actually throw a lot of explanations back at me. Only because I just mentioned a character of mine. It's just fantasy, man. Even RWBY is a piece of fantasy, so chill. :3

But gosh, I never thought you would actually throw a lot of explanations back at me. Only because I just mentioned a character of mine. It's just fantasy, man. Even RWBY is a piece of fantasy, so chill. :3

I'm a writer, game developer, and total fanboy. I can't help but take this sort of thing seriously, so I'm sorry if I come across as over-the-top or harsh. This is as nicely as I know how to say it. I'm well aware that RWBY is fantasy. But:

Yeah, there are things that just too impossible to exist, some are even contradictory, like you said, but it wouldn't hurt to have a non-existent character to pose such abilities while breaking the laws of physics.

I disagree completely. The best characters are the realistic ones. Sure, elements of fantasy exist, but you'll note that RWBY doesn't actually break physics. The guns throw them around, but A) they're young and generally small, so probably light, and B) The guns are dust powered, not gunpowder. The physics of that are entirely up to the creators--maybe that amount of force and recoil is entirely accurate. There's no random 'double jumping.'

The characters are actually human (or well, you know what I mean. Believable). They have their strengths and weaknesses, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. The character you've described strikes me as something pulled from an old video game--no soul, no character, just a mashup of traits put together to give you something mildly interesting to look at...and you've even included a mana bar for his sword. You've described him as "a typical human with an impossible height::weight ratio," but everything else about him screams that he is anything but typical.

You've said you can't understand why I consider him to be over-powered, and frankly that blows my mind. Re-reading your description, I really cannot understand how someone could see that and not see the inherent god-complexing.

Edited by Siubijeni

I'm a writer, game developer, and total fanboy. I can't help but take this sort of thing seriously, so I'm sorry if I come across as over-the-top or harsh. This is as nicely as I know how to say it. I'm well aware that RWBY is fantasy.

Well, all right. As long as you feel satisfied on explaining things, and the fact you gave me a decent response, compared to what I had before, I find your explanations quite invigorating. :3

I disagree completely. The best characters are the realistic ones. Sure, elements of fantasy exist, but you'll note that RWBY doesn't actually break physics. The guns throw them around, but A) they're young and generally small, so probably light, and B) The guns are dust powered, not gunpowder. The physics of that are entirely up to the creators--maybe that amount of force and recoil is entirely accurate. There's no random 'double jumping.'

The characters are actually human (or well, you know what I mean. Believable). They have their strengths and weaknesses, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. The character you've described strikes me as something pulled from an old video game--no soul, no character, just a mashup of traits put together to give you something mildly interesting to look at...and you've even included a mana bar for his sword. You've described him as "a typical human with an impossible height::weight ratio," but everything else about him screams that he is anything but typical.

You've said you can't understand why I consider him to be over-powered, and frankly that blows my mind. Re-reading your description, I really cannot understand how someone could see that and not see the inherent god-complexing.

I don't feel like Double-jump is a god-like power, to be honest.

Since in my experience with Superpowers from comic books, Double jump is almost useless if ever flight such as using Recoil came into mind, since it Double Jump merely creates an invisible second platform for the ability-user to jump on, but once. After that, the user can't have another jump until he stands firmly on a real platform.

Recoil... yeah, I do have notice a lot of force as Ruby shoots her Crescent Rose every time, but what bothers me are the Casings of the bullets she uses on her trailer and the rest of her episodes. I mean, they seem to have a size of 7.62mm Caliber, similar to a size of an AK-47, or near as a .50 caliber round of an average heavy machine gun, and you're telling me that this is realistic? A small bullet couldn't actually create such force on both sides of the gun: both firing against an enemy and pushing the user with recoil.

If the recoil should be that powerful, like pushing a 35 kilogram character off her feet, then the actual bullet should be as small as 2mm round, only capable enough to kill small birds, or even less, while having the majority of the Cased bullet to span more than 90% of the total Bullet percentage.

Look at this 7.7mm bullet of an average Japanese Rifle bullet for example:

449px-7.7_mm_Japanese_navy.jpg

See the small pointed metal head is the actual bullet while below it is the ignition casing, which is used to project the bullet outside the barrel. If this is the case, and the fact that Ruby managed to squeeze in about 20 Sniper rounds on her Scythe, along with shotgun shells as well, it gave me an idea that Ruby's weapon is impossible.

Also, the way I mentioned Helix as "a typical human with an impossible height:weight ratio" is basically from your response of Helix being impossible due to having a "bone" build of a guy despite of having 6'2". But, I must say, when Helix does get hurt, it really does feel hilarious, to me, hearing his screeches of pain, as I heard it from my dreams.

Edited by Freelancer27

See the small pointed metal head is the actual bullet while below it is the ignition casing, which is used to project the bullet outside the barrel. If this is the case, and the fact that Ruby managed to squeeze in about 20 Sniper rounds on her Scythe, along with shotgun shells as well, it gave me an idea that Ruby's weapon is impossible.

If you look,and this is what most people I've talked to think, along with Siubijeni, that there is dust involved. The material that can cause an explosive sneeze. The material Weiss uses to make columns of fire, and ice. Having more recoil then technically possible wouldn't be too hard.

If you look,and this is what most people I've talked to think, along with Siubijeni, that there is dust involved. The material that can cause an explosive sneeze. The material Weiss uses to make columns of fire, and ice. Having more recoil then technically possible wouldn't be too hard.

Which is why I didn't mention it, because it would be Fantasy already.

Perhaps throwing some objective rules down would help. If anything deserves a Big Eyes Small Mouths treatment RWBY perhaps does. I know the creators wouldn't want to get confided by such a rules system, but some of the Fandom could benefit from it :P

As to weight Freelancer27... a good "just on the edge of believable" ballpark for a minimum weight could be 152 lbs. Which is on the scary side of ridiculously thin. That's almost less than I weight and I'm a short fellow who's built like a barrel. He should be closer to 160 or 170.

Here's one reference that could help.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height-weight-teens.shtml

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height_weight.shtml

The "cheat" in RWBY is Aura and Dust. His Aura could make him move like he's propelling the mass of a 90 lbs. 4'10" 12 year old girl.

I agree with Siubijeni that the best types of Fantasy characters are those that are just on the believable side of the line and push, and push with the Rules for that Fantasy setting.

How can Ruby get away with using the weapon she does? Aura. The recoil alone should knock her down, it actually does knock her around... when she lets it. Aura is there to save the day and let her use that recoil as propellant.

Weiss is good example of a Dust abuser. I mean really, she uses Dust for just about everything. All the stuff she does, the wall running, the jumping, all Dust. The majority of her luggage wasn't cloths, all those suitcases were mostly full of Dust. If you were to make Weiss choose between fancy cloths and Dust, I'm not sure she'd hesitate for a moment.

Cloud and the Buster Sword is another example. He gets away with it because Jenova cells and a touch of "badassitude" (which he borrowed from Zack).

Actually for fun reading, if you want to get inside some of the source material I'd suggest http://www.erstwhiletales.com/ They're doing a great job illustrting in comic form various classic fairtales. The Grimm tales can get really dark.

Not Grimm but Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen (which got adapted by Disney into the movie Frost) is another which could have some interesting RWBY-ized elements.

Edited by Brasten

-snip-

Nah, I'm good, but I didn't asked for your explanation about RWBY's existence, despite of being an Anime series. Which I already do know from the start of our discussion.

Sure, there are people who develop characters that are "realistic" though they still inherit the essence of being fantasy, such as using Dust for example. Ruby is, from what I heard, an expert of Dust, not only through its uses but also in its technological application, through her Scythe.

True, that my character in your perspective is impossible, but you'll never expect the secrets of each individual character until you know it personally. What I have told you guys may not be understood through your own perspective, instead he was thought out to be frankly and somewhat OP, but in mine is quite balanced.

For Crescent Rose, as I said, it is impossible. Since there are modifications that underwent to the weapon. As Dust is included in to weapon, it does make a pre-existing setting into it, though I have my reasons:

(1.) It can transform into three different shapes, the non-lethal compartment, the Shotgun mode, and the its Sniper-Scythe hybrid. Knowing that the weapon itself can transform quickly, almost like a push of a button, I can see the physically unlikely situations with the weapon, sure Ruby built it, but I have doubts with the weapon, despite of its workings. Since, the transformation requires a battery-like Dust of some sort in order to shift the weapon to Ruby's choice. Yet, I hardly see any housing that covers it.

(2.) The chamber. I notice at (1), that the device can change into two weapons, the shotgun and the sniper, that I can find hindering the likeliness of the bullets. You can't simply change the shotgun into a sniper with all the shotgun shells still in place, nor sniper rounds should be in the shotgun form, if it does, then there should be a reactor that changes said rounds into other said rounds. Which makes the Scythe somewhat heavy as a result, but it is light as Ruby holds it.

(3.) The bullets. I explained this above about Sniper rounds, being at a large size. But I notice the tips being too small to even hurt "gigantic wolves of death", since the bullet casings are too small to fit extra big metal tips just to kill elephants. Same goes with Shotgun shells. Also, how can 20 sniper rounds even fit a Scythe with very thin layers of metal into a size of laptop that fit snugly on your back? This bugs me. Also, the bullets are made of metal, so Ruby should find it difficult to carry like 400 rounds of it at once.

(4.) The weight of the Dust, as mentioned in bullets, there should always be a weight change whenever anything is involved. Dust also has weight, and don't try to say it is merely weightless, since it can fall on to the ground like regular dust bunnies. And with that much Dust compacted on the bullets and in the said generator I said earlier, should the weapon itself be too heavy for a 15 year-old girl to carry?

(5.) ... So this is where I ask, how can a 15 year old girl can carry such a weapon, as a single shot from any of the two weapon types can simply twirl her out of place? She is even the shortest character of the team, so why I can't see this an accident for once in at least one of the episodes?

So... yeah. I have my reasons. :3

Edited by Freelancer27

Exactly. Physics isn't warped, it's that there are factors beyond our current understanding. Weiss' airstep is basically a double jump, but physics is not warped because of the explanation being her semblance--something that is "unique" to her, yet I can't help but imagine that somewhere in the world someone can do something similar. I'm not objecting, at the core of it, to a double jump. I'm objecting to the way you just slapped it onto Helix with no explanation other than you thought it cool, feeling that there need be none because--in essence--other people can do cooler things, and it's really not that useful. Doesn't matter.

I agree with Siubijeni that the best types of Fantasy characters are those that are just on the believable side of the line and push, and push with the Rules for that Fantasy setting.

Thank you, and if I might say so, those are some very good examples. If I might add my own:

-The Mistborn Trilogy. Vin, in some later scenes, uses a sword easily twice her own mass and gets away with it due to the magic system of that world. I find all of Mistborn to be incredibly well thought out.

-Warbreaker. Magic can bring inanimate objects to life via Breath, and the closer something is to human form the fewer Breaths it takes--this is because Breath is in essence a person's soul.

-Anything else by Brandon Sanderson. The man is a master at that sort of boundaries, making the world real and yet fantastical.

-snip-

1)Actually, that's where you're a bit wrong. It's not a shotgun, it is in fact the exact same sniper mechanism as when it's unfolded. If anything, the closed form simply reduces the power and recoil, as some fans have noted that Ruby is never thrown around by it while folded, and once it unfolds every shot sends her flying--unless the blade is planted. Regardless, the scythe has no shotgun functionality. As for the actual unfold mechanism, it's possible that it is triggered by a switch and dust, but I myself have a different theory--aura. We know that the weapons serve as conduits for the power, and it doesn't seem like they actively trigger anything in several of the more dramatic transformation scenes. I think it likely that the transformations are triggered (and possibly controlled) by pulsing the aura through the weapon.

2) Completely invalid: Crescent Rose has no shotgun functionality. While folded, it does seem to be somewhat muffled, but without knowing exactly how the dust-mechanism for RWBY weapons works, you really can't say anything about it. It could just lessen dust output in that form, since she doesn't have the blade to brace and catch herself on things.

3) There's no indication that there are actually bullets, let alone that they work like ours in the real world do. The one and only trailer that showed shells as a separate entity was the Red Trailer, which is confirmed to be somewhat non-canon simply because aspects of the show were still being designed (it was the first trailer). That's why some of Ruby's clothes changed, and why the Beowolves were so plain. Don't compare them so much to actual fire-arms, because the connection is tenuous at best. This is especially clear of Yang's Ember Celica--she has cartridges, but they don't seem to fire actual projectiles, just bursts of energy. When she switches ammo in the trailer, there is still no real indication of bullets despite the extended range--so I would guess that it is based upon a more cohesive packet of dust that extends combustion and range. Or something like that--we really don't know how dust works, and there are a lot of possibilities.

4) No. She's been at a school to train warriors, presumably for some time. She is presumably decently strong, in the wiry way of athletes. All of them are, in point of fact. And while I can't imagine its weightless, I doubt its as heavy as you let on, either. Dust has been shown to be very light, as Roman and his thugs have never had any trouble transporting stolen cases or the tubes of pilfered powder. More, if there are no real bullets, there is no need for that much more weight.

5) Actually, when the gun is folded it never knocks her around. And when its unfolded, you'll note that she generally has the blade planted when not utilizing the recoil. So neither has a real impact on her ability to carry the dead weight. She has clearly been in training for a long time, and is somewhat exceptional--she got moved ahead two years because Ozpin (again, a distinguished trainer of warriors, and meddler in events abroad) was so impressed by her skills. As for why she doesn't have a mishap for comedic purposes... have you seen the way she treats her "sweetheart?" It's simply not realistic for her to trip up so significantly over something that familiar. It would be one of those self-contradictions that I pointed out earlier.

Edited by Siubijeni

I agree with Siubijeni's analysis of your character, Freelancer. After reading it several times, Helix is in many respects a Mary Sue (or a Gary Stu in this case). This whole god-complex thing of yours and poor attempts at justifying a lot of the things he has really makes it look like you've made him able to beat pretty much anyone while giving him some BS weaknesses just so that it isn't as one-sided.

Seriously, a mystical super special snowflake sword that only he can use that can cut through almost anything and pretty much beats magic weapons hands down AND absorbs them? If that wasn't the biggest red flag, then I don't know what is.

Edited by djentlemenBehold

The only I say to you hardcore RWBY fans is this:

tx0JL1o.gif

Plus, if I do find Crescent Rose's second form as another sniper rifle, then how do I see the gun firing large bulging blasts of fire rather than piercing shots? Since it did act as two different attack types when switch between mods.

Also, if so "Aura" is used in order to increase the power output of an individual person, do you think it is actually an essence of Dust to begin with? :3

Edited by Freelancer27

Shorter barrel and different muzzle brake give that impression. Im guessing the the expanding propellant gasses a4e where most of the weapons 'recoil' comes from, given the relative kineti energy of the projectile.

Scythe mode focusses this, giving it those awesome kinetic properties

Thats my guess

Im guessing the the expanding propellant gasses a4e where most of the weapons 'recoil' comes from...

Nada, Siub said that the entire bullet explosion relies on Dust, a flame-variant of it that causes release, should the bullet alone left intact from the explosion. But a shorter barrel doesn't give me the exact answer how did the Sniper rounds manage to turn into large blasts in its second mode.

Nada, Siub said that the entire bullet explosion relies on Dust, a flame-variant of it that causes release, should the bullet alone left intact from the explosion. But a shorter barrel doesn't give me the exact answer how did the Sniper rounds manage to turn into large blasts in its second mode.

Actually, what I said was that you shouldn't assume there are actual bullets, because there have not been shown to be actual bullets. I gave one hypothetical counter-example/counter-explanation. Sixty's is valid, too.

I don't know why you think Crescent Rose's two forms are different. They have the exact same muzzle flash, it's just that when its folded up the bigger surface area on the front of the gun can maybe make it look like a more diffuse blast in comparison. But the damage done by the gun is the same in both forms--when Ruby folds up the gun to fire at Cinder in the very first episode, it doesn't suddenly become a shotgun. It's still a sniper rifle, as shown when Cinder intercepts the high caliber rounds. There is the issue of the recoil, but there are again a ton of possible reasons for that mechanic. Like I suggested, it could be that the gun has a sort of filter that reduces dust output in that form, since Ruby doesn't have the blade available to anchor her or to pivot around. That's not the only possible explanation, either.

Edited by Siubijeni

I don't know why you think Crescent Rose's two forms are different. They have the exact same muzzle flash, it's just that when its folded up the bigger area can maybe make it look like a more diffuse blast. But the damage done by the gun is the same in both forms--when Ruby folds up the gun to fire at Cinder in the very first episode, it doesn't suddenly become a shotgun. It's still a sniper rifle, as shown when Cinder intercepts the high caliber rounds. There is the issue of the recoil, but there are again a ton of possible reasons for that mechanic. Like I suggested, it could be that the gun has a sort of filter that reduces dust output in that form, since Ruby doesn't have the blade available to anchor her or to pivot around. That's not the only possible explanation, either.

So, you're saying that my number 2:

(2.) The chamber. I notice at (1), that the device can change into two weapons, the shotgun and the sniper, that I can find hindering the likeliness of the bullets. You can't simply change the shotgun into a sniper with all the shotgun shells still in place, nor sniper rounds should be in the shotgun form, if it does, then there should be a reactor that changes said rounds into other said rounds. Which makes the Scythe somewhat heavy as a result, but it is light as Ruby holds it.

Is actually correct? Though, not stating that the second form is a shotgun mode, but since it requires a filter of some sort that should make the Scythe somewhat heavy for Ruby to carry. I want to know. :3

No, I'm not. It's a filter. It can literally be a tiny ring of metal that narrows a pipe that feeds Dust through. If the pipe is flexible, it can be two strips of metal that partially pinch off the feed. The presence of a filter doesn't imply weight at all. And the filter thing is only a guess on my part, anyway.

Edited by Siubijeni

I see.

I got another question to bare, from your answer from number one.

1)Actually, that's where you're a bit wrong. It's not a shotgun, it is in fact the exact same sniper mechanism as when it's unfolded. If anything, the closed form simply reduces the power and recoil, as some fans have noted that Ruby is never thrown around by it while folded, and once it unfolds every shot sends her flying--unless the blade is planted. Regardless, the scythe has no shotgun functionality. As for the actual unfold mechanism, it's possible that it is triggered by a switch and dust, but I myself have a different theory--aura. We know that the weapons serve as conduits for the power, and it doesn't seem like they actively trigger anything in several of the more dramatic transformation scenes. I think it likely that the transformations are triggered (and possibly controlled) by pulsing the aura through the weapon.

I do know that Aura exists as a basis of the RWBY world, but what bothers me is that: Does Ruby require to use her Aura every time she unfolds her weapon? Well, in her casual time, I see her unfold the weapon quickly. I didn't see her Aura emitted (which are flying red roses appearing on her cape) during this phase and it happens when she "brandishes" off her weapon to her friends, should Aura be only usable in battles.

I even saw it transform when Ruby is wearing her bedroom clothes, which is somewhat uncanny to me. And since each and every person must release an Aura in a completely different way.

By far, I find our discussion quite awesome and interesting to read. :3

Edited by Freelancer27

Actually, the rose petals are an effect of her semblance, not her aura. The two are presumably connected, but not the same thing. Aura has a universal manifestation when visible, shows as a simple glow, sometimes across the entire body (as in the case of Pyrrha's activation of Jaune's; see A) or as a localized version (as in the case of Ren fending off the Taijitsu; see B).

Exhibits A and B:

RWBY6_010311.png
RWBY6_009361.png

THIS is aura. Not Ruby's rose petals, not Weiss' glyphs, not Blake's after-image, not Yang's fire... those are all effects of their semblances. Well, Blake isn't actually confirmed there, but most likely it is.

Aura is a manifestation of their soul. I don't see how what she's wearing has any relevance to it, nor the problem with requiring an Aura Pulse every time she wants to fold or unfold the weapon. It's really a mere effort of will at that point, not a significant drain on any energy reserve. So what if she does require her Aura every time she unfolds her weapon? Makes negligible difference.

Edited by Siubijeni