The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To Steam Or Not To Steam?

Guardian_

That's pretty much why I uninstalled the base game and installed the Steam version - so I and other people could see and track the stats for gameplay in an easily-viewable manner.

And I can tell you, it's been impressive just checking the Steam traffic for this game so far.

i didnt use the steam version yet, because you can use the overlay on the non steam version too, just add a non steam shortcut on

"C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\Launcher.exe"

and you are all set, i prefer not to use steam version though because sometimes my internet borks out and wont connect to steam

I've had no problems with the Steam client. As others mentioned I did it so friend people could see I'm playing and I'd get allerts and stuff when they came on and left and stuff. (In theory. None have been on since I did that. :p) (Played for about 25 hours on the base client before switching.)

According to the devs (via PM on Facebook) the ONLY difference between the base client and Steam client is how it handles real world money transfers. Base client has UltimatePay Merchant and Steam uses the Steam Wallet.

I would recommend though if you are going to switch to steam that you uninstall the base client first. That way your computer doesn't get confused by a double install. :) It actually remembers your settings, so no worries on losing anything. :)  (Boggles my mind why it remembers, since I see no folder in my documents for it that exists outside of the client install.)

Edited by rabb1t

If you already have a Warframe account there is nothing to gain by installing it on steam really.

Free to play games are generally on steam only for cheap marketing, and their integration usually goes as far as downloading the basic client. They don't run through steam or update through it.

Warframe does support steam wallet purchases but unfortunately not if your account was made before the steam release.

That being said, you should have a steam account and steam installed regardless. You can find some great deals on it every couple of days  and in today's age of digital distribution it is the "go to" place for PC games.