Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Screeching Noise When Testing Microphone

TristanV

Whenever I test my microphone, I hear loud screeching, even when it's silent. I tried both a USB and a built-in mic, but the sound still persists. When I lower the mic sensitivity to one of 10, I still hear the screeching as loud as it would be  on 10. Is there a fix for this?

Have you tried turning down the "Voice receive volume" in the audio options menu?  Also try turning down the game.  It could be that your mic is causing a feedback loop.

Glen and I ran into this problem with voice chat, where any time I transmitted it seemed to go into a kind of feedback loop on his end resulting echoes and then huge noise.

However, the interesting thing here is that I have a headset, so there's no way that the game could be feeding back to itself through the hardware on my end.  Using the "test mic" feature let me hear the horrible badness for myself.   Restarting the game had no effect. I verified that my microphone itself was picking up good signal in audacity.

Though the problem isn't manifesting at the moment. This is hard for me to test more because I don't know anybody that really uses the game voice chat much.

Edited by Momaw

Whenever I test my microphone, I hear loud screeching, even when it's silent. I tried both a USB and a built-in mic, but the sound still persists. When I lower the mic sensitivity to one of 10, I still hear the screeching as loud as it would be  on 10. Is there a fix for this?

Your audio-settings are most likely messed up.

Can the screech (a high-pitched noise) still be heard, if you mute the mic (no unplugging)?

If you use your micro, are you too close to your speakers (if you use a headset, mute the normal speakers) ?

You may encounter feedback. Disable Stereomix (names do vary) in your main-soundcard settings.

If you run Win7, you can even disable it permanently instead of muting it.

Right now, your soundcard does take the input from your micro, amplifies that with stereomix in a loop,

getting louder in every iteration up to the maximum.

I have a headset myself but never used it yet, I'll try later, if this is a common issue.

Edited by NoSpax