The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Saryn A Good Frame?

DALOS

Question

I know I asked this in another post before but after using it for a bit I'm beginning to have my doubts, especially  with the first power which I have come to conclude is the worst power in the game to cost 25 energy. I've also heard that Contagion is also pretty bad but I haven't used it enough to know for sure.

I haven't used this frame extensively hence why I'm asking weather or not it's worth levelling.

24 answers to this question

#sayrnmasterrace.

Yes, I love her.

Though to be honest you should never ask the forums about good weapons/frames because either you'll get a million conflicting opinions and answers or someone will talk you out of something you could have loved.

Best to just find out yourself, lvl her to 30 then dicide. Either way you get the mastery even if you then ditch her.

Venom is actually pretty good. The damage isn't amazing, but it procs Viral a lot and can spread if you shoot the spores. Contagion is alright, but it's rarely used. Miasma does monstrous damage.

Plus, she's got high health and armor, which makes her a great offensive tank. So yes, she is a good frame. Then again, they all are.

Venom is actually pretty good. The damage isn't amazing, but it procs Viral a lot and can spread if you shoot the spores.

Emphasis on IF I can't hit the damn thing, the power feel's so complicated and and impractical to use.

Why can't it be a simple AoE why do I have to shoot a damn viral spore?

Edited by DALOS

Emphasis on IF I can't hit the damn thing, the power feel's so complicated and and impractical to use.

Yeah, it can be a little wonky at times. Even direct hits on the spores sometimes shoot the enemy's skin instead. If you have any Punch Through on your weapons, it works waaay more consistently.

I like to use Saryn as an invasion speed run frame mostly because of Miasma. Max efficiency, rush, and max energy capacity. Run everywhere and blast Miasma as needed in dense areas; good range and fast acting damage makes it a good room cleaner (unlike other ults which either don't kill fast or far enough)

You'll have an easier time shooting the spores with continuous weapons(flux rifle,phage,quanta etc.) or shotguns. At least it worked for me :S

When I use it I have the trouble of firing it into a crowd of enemies and then lose track of it. Then when I'm trying to find it I end up losing half my health from standing around and letting the enemies take free shots at me and another player mops them up with melee before I get a chance.

I know I asked this in another post before but after using it for a bit I'm beginning to have my doubts, especially  with the first power which I have come to conclude is the worst power in the game to cost 25 energy. I've also heard that Contagion is also pretty bad but I haven't used it enough to know for sure.

I haven't used this frame extensively hence why I'm asking weather or not it's worth levelling.

If you want to use Saryn, learn how to build her first.

Only two of her abilities are worthwhile: Molt and Miasma.

Go with maxed efficiency and get the 57% power strength. Throw in a stretch mod.

Duration is unimportant, give her nice shields and health.

Welcome to the caster, tanker, decoy frame of the century.

P.S. If you REALLY need Viral, Venom is a bad way to get it. Just equip a weapon with high status proc chance and proc viral (Marelok and Grinlok can be built for 100% status y'know).

Edited by Semshol

If you want to use Saryn, learn how to build her first.

Only two of her abilities are worthwhile: Molt and Miasma.

Go with maxed efficiency and get the 57% power strength. Throw in a stretch mod.

Duration is unimportant, give her nice shields and health.

Welcome to the caster, tanker, decoy frame of the century.

P.S. If you REALLY need Viral, Venom is a bad way to get it. Just equip a weapon with high status proc chance and proc viral (Marelok and Grinlok can be built for 100% status y'know).

Venom is incredibly useful especially  against high level grineer. Literally the only down side is some weapons struggle to hit the spores.

Your best bet are hitscan weapons and shotguns. In the even I didn't bring a good weapon for popping spores I tend to ignore it or use it on specific tanky targets like heavy gunners or napalms. Venom can be more efficient at transferring viral procs then I high status wep like the grinlock. One shot and bam, as long as you keep hitting spores you can use it once and train it throughout rooms, providing enemies are nearby.

Venom is by no means an instant room clearing ability, that doesn't make it bad.

Viral procs wreck T4 heavy gunners.

basically if you think venom is pointless, its just the fact you don't understand the power of consistent and reliable max health reduction.

Venom is incredibly useful especially  against high level grineer. Literally the only down side is some weapons struggle to hit the spores.

Your best bet are hitscan weapons and shotguns. In the even I didn't bring a good weapon for popping spores I tend to ignore it or use it on specific tanky targets like heavy gunners or napalms. Venom can be more efficient at transferring viral procs then I high status wep like the grinlock. One shot and bam, as long as you keep hitting spores you can use it once and train it throughout rooms, providing enemies are nearby.

Venom is by no means an instant room clearing ability, that doesn't make it bad.

Viral procs wreck T4 heavy gunners.

basically if you think venom is pointless, its just the fact you don't understand the power of consistent and reliable max health reduction.

If you're facing high-level Grineer, your primary weapon should reliably proc Viral..since you aren't always going to have a Saryn.

That said, if your primary can reliably proc it (assuming you need it)...then why would you waste time on Saryn's first ability to throw spores and then aim at said spores? Your team could be dying in that time.

Furthermore if you're SOLOING T4, having good CC is more important. So again Saryn loses out.

If playing in a team, M Prime usually works better than a viral proc and it hits everything.

So for Saryn to be viable in a team, rather than trying to make use of every ability. Maximize those that contribute the most and then go with it.

Saryn's problem is that she wants to be a caster frame but she's much better as a defensive support. She has a hard time exploiting Corrupt mods so her abilities don't hit that level of spam, duration, or power that other frames can pull off. She's perfectly fine as an offensive caster on normal missions but against high level enemies she doesn't bring enough oomph to the table. If you have a team of competent players though mass viral proc, aggro sponging decoy, aoe stun ... these are all good utility skills. Add some extra defense mods on her and you have a valuable teammate.

She's good.

I formaed mine once and I enjoy playing her.

She has good survivability due to fairly good armor and health. Stat-wise the only downside is lower speed, which can be countered by coptering / equipping Rush / using Hemlock Arcane helmet.

As for her abilities:

Venom is quite useful, not for the damage but for viral procs. On lower levels halving the health of your enemy doesn't matter too much, but viral proc on high lvl Heavy Gunner will make you glad you have this ability equipped.

Molt is useful for taking heat off you. And now it removes status effects when used, so that's a great tool to have when facing Grineer or Infested (due to bleed and toxin procs). And it explodes when destroyed, which can be good against melee enemies.

Contagion depends on your playstyle. If you like melee a lot - it's a good damage buff. But worth using a slot only if you plan to use it extensively.

Miasma. Really good AoE damage skill. It might seem meh at first, but with the right setup you'll be hitting for 4k corrosive damage for 25 energy. Sounds good, right? It also stuns enemies and has a decent range.

Overall, she's a good frame, balanced. She does not excel at anything, but she has a skillset that makes her viable in most situations.

Saryn isn't ever going to be a top tier frame, but she has has a solid niche as a caster/tank hybrid. Saryn can clear rooms faster than other tanks could dream of and will remain standing under fire that would massacre casters.

Here is an example of a good Saryn build:

http://goo.gl/9mykYg

This provides Saryn with an incredibly powerful and fairly spammable Miasma in addition to the ability to soak up a huge amount of damage. Obviously it's going to take a lot of Forma, mods, credits, and time to reach this build (I'm getting fairly close to it). Fleeting expertise is more or less a double bonus mod as Miasma deals a fixed amount of damage. If you reduce the duration it just deals that damage over a shorter period of time.

Intensify and/or Redirection can be swapped out if desired for mods such as Venom, Molt, Rage, Rush, or Vigor. 

This provides Saryn with an incredibly powerful and fairly spammable Miasma in addition to the ability to soak up a huge amount of damage.

Nope, you're much better off using only a Rank 2 Blind Rage and recasting multiple times for harder enemies.

Fleeting expertise is more or less a double bonus mod as Miasma deals a fixed amount of damage. If you reduce the duration it just deals that damage over a shorter period of time.

Nope, reducing the duration actually increases the damage done per cast.

I'm trying to make the most out of her but it just feels sooo bad, the first power especially. 

I know exactly what you mean... its got a little potential but otherwise its not efficient, problem is you can just kill the guy instead of putting venom on him, the spread is too low even if you explode the bubbles. She's more of a tank, i recommend not to use contagion (think the devs added it in with no deep thought) its completely useless unless you have dragon ninkana or something that OHK with it on high level.

Miasma and molt is awesome, though sometimes enemies still attack you when you cast it.

Overall she's more of a tank which saddens me to admit... its hard to use her powers when only miasma is truly powerful.

1) She has low max energy

2) Alot of health

3) Alot of armor

4) Low stamina and speed

5) Abilities cost enormous energy

6) She has a defensive polarity slot

When I use it I have the trouble of firing it into a crowd of enemies and then lose track of it. Then when I'm trying to find it I end up losing half my health from standing around and letting the enemies take free shots at me and another player mops them up with melee before I get a chance.

Terrible mechanic if you ask me, had to buy akstilletto for it, the gun is worth it but the ability is too slow, might as well just kill the guy or don't spread it since it only has a short range anyways.

my favorite character ..... I was skeptical at first as well I use miasma/venom molt and contagion are pointless ... although I have a molt/ contagion build just for kicks lol

she is a very fun frame and I run t4's with her no problem and usually im the one kickin all the &#! ... keep in mind ive forma'd her 3 times so she does take some work

go with what you like man I can see why you would hate venom I hardly cast it and 9 times out of 10 the enemy you use it on your squad kills and pays no attention to spores making it basically useless

I can post my build if you'd like :)