Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Sure I'm Not Retarded...

d1sc1p1e

Question

so I'm new to Warframe. heard good things about the 2.0 update so I've jumped in and spent a couple hours trying to get to grips with it, and basically failed.

now I've been through every guide, every wiki I can find and I still cannot answer some of my most basic questions. so I'm chucking them out here to see if I can get some help. my main concerns are below

-just trying to understand the systems, things like the forge mods and what they do as the codex doesn't tell me s**t. the codex doesn't tell you the effects or repercussions of forging mods either, you either have to do it to find out or ask another player.

-my frame is at level 9 I think, but my profile is level 0. I've just found out that this can be upgraded through some sort of a test, but I have no clue about any of it.

-blueprints, forging, how can the codex be so empty? I have a BP for a new frame but I can't build it as I need each specific part, only there is no BP or info I can find on how to acquire them. so basically spent all my creds on toiletpaper for a frame that doesn't need to crap.

-I've played online only ONCE, and that was by clicking on a prompt that cam up mid mission. otherwise there's no quick match(which is a complete sin) and I can't see what missions at what level are happening at any given time so I can jump in. I've seen people talking about getting groups together but then what? how do you leave an open invite if people can quick match?

- I assume the level next to the mission name is the difficulty level of the mission, duh, but how do I tell what I am and what I can handle?

it's just frustrating as I know I'm missing out on a good game, only it's just a mess at the moment because I don't know what I'm doing.

now before I get spammed to death, I'm a confident player that used to do a lot of speedruns in games like Dark Souls etc. and have only been able to invest a couple hours in the game so far. the biggest problem is now the tutorials gone and I have no idea what to do. I want to continue solo until I'm confident as I'm not up for getting death threats for being the noob that brings down a team, but that seems impossible.

any help is appreciated, I'm keen to get into this thing. oh, and I'm on PC.

9 answers to this question

Ay, you come in at a turbulent time, friend.  The previous UI was a lot more functional and intuitive, but they've since blasted that out of existence.

There is a way to match with players for missions.  Be sure your matchmaking settings are set to "Online".

"Profile Level", AKA Mastery Rank, is gained by leveling things up.  I'm not sure how to access the test anymore though.

Many of your other questions can be answered by checking the Warframe Wikia page... but I have to say that on the grounds that the game has failed to explain itself clearly.

HEY DE, SEE HOW WELL YOUR NEW UX WORKS?

Behold the warframe wiki...

Seriously, most of the info you need can be found in the Warframe Wiki. Just google it. Don't be afraid to jump in online games on mercury and Venus, most of those players are noobs, but there are also some vets you'll come across. Most people in this game are very helpful to new players, so stop worrying about 'death threats' and just jump in the online game. Join a clan too.

1. What? Are you talking about mods fusion? You are basically using the mods you don't want or fusion cores to level up another mod.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion

2. Leveling up your weapons and frames grants you Mastery Points - sort of an your account XP. When it reaches certain point you can take a test that will unlock the next rank.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mastery

3. The information on what parts do you need is in the Foundry. Just mouseover the thing you want to build and it'll show you the parts you need. Though it's the same for all frames - Helmet, Chasis and Systems (Mag Systems, Loki Systems, Excalibur Helmet, et cetera). As for how to acquire them - are you sure, that you read the Wiki?
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Warframes

4. You start quick matches by picking the mission. It's that simple. If you have the matchmaking to Public it'll throw you into an available group, or it'll redirect players to your group. As for open invites - Recruitment tab on the chat. As for inviting people to your party - Esc and the plus icon in top-left.

5. It's the level of the enemies. 40-ish levels being the hardest. Just treat it like a scale from 1 to 40 of how strong the enemies are.

HEY DE, SEE HOW WELL YOUR NEW UX WORKS?

It works very well, it's the people that don't want to check things by themselves and are looking for tutorials on "how to launch the game in 30 simple steps".

Seriously, any of you played games before they led you by your hand to everything? When you needed to research things on your own? No? Thought so.

There are lots of tutorials on the YouTube, lots of information on the Wiki, you just need to google them.

PS: also, it's update 14, not update 2.0. We have Damage 2.0 and Meele 2.0, but we are far beyond Update 2.0.

Edited by Angius

-just trying to understand the systems, things like the forge mods and what they do as the codex doesn't tell me s**t. the codex doesn't tell you the effects or repercussions of forging mods either, you either have to do it to find out or ask another player.

The mods themselves, when you point at them, tell you what they do.

After you rank them, up, point at them again.  The numbers will increase, they get stronger.

-my frame is at level 9 I think, but my profile is level 0. I've just found out that this can be upgraded through some sort of a test, but I have no clue about any of it.

You have to have enough overall EXP in order to rank up your overall mastery level.  This is shown by the bluer bar when you hover over your name.  It has to fill up before you can take the mastery rank test to go to the next rank.

-blueprints, forging, how can the codex be so empty? I have a BP for a new frame but I can't build it as I need each specific part, only there is no BP or info I can find on how to acquire them. so basically spent all my creds on toiletpaper for a frame that doesn't need to crap.

The wiki lists where the parts for a frame drop, yeah the codex needs more info on this.

-I've played online only ONCE, and that was by clicking on a prompt that cam up mid mission. otherwise there's no quick match(which is a complete sin) and I can't see what missions at what level are happening at any given time so I can jump in. I've seen people talking about getting groups together but then what? how do you leave an open invite if people can quick match?

If you select a mission and accept the vote, it'll automatically drop you into a group if one is available.  If not, it'll change to "waiting for players" and you can wait for players to join you before starting (or start the mission and hope they join in before you beat it).  Make sure your matchmaking type is on public, and it will always be open.

- I assume the level next to the mission name is the difficulty level of the mission, duh, but how do I tell what I am and what I can handle?

The levels of your frames and weapons, assuming you're upgrading the mods in them to make them stronger.

cheers guys. I definitely need to spend more time in game trying things out, a few hours over the last week isn't enough to get a handle on things. in response to the wiki questions though I've been through it a good amount, it's just missing lots of little things like why do I have to use 3 fusion cores on this mod upgrade and not 2 and another mod etc. and the biggest thing is most of the pics and vids and basic info refer to the game before the update, which is just confusing.

once I come up against something I don't know about i'll refer to the wiki BUT I don't feel a game that has a tutorial and an in game codex should require you to have the wiki open constantly just to understand what's happening every step of the way, especially when it comes to basics like levelling and playing/joining online matches.

Edited by d1sc1p1e

Stupid codex >.>. They locked any useful knowledge it could actually provide behind a huuuuge grind. Even when finished, wiki seems vastly more useful to figure out the best places to farm specific mods.

I want to continue solo until I'm confident as I'm not up for getting death threats for being the noob that brings down a team, but that seems impossible.

You really shouldn't worry about this unless your're asking to be invited into tower 4 void missions in the recruit channel.  Most of the player base seems pretty friendly to me and 90% of the content I play I can pretty much solo myself.  Having other tenno around is just a bonus.

Side note: When you're playing with a bunch of other new tenno, even the simple stuff is a lot harder. But that's kinda part of the fun yes?

I was frustrated by this as well back in the day. My frame says rank 6 but I get my azzhanded to me doing lvl 6 content >.>.  You can tell what you are able to handle by judging how well you did the previous difficulty lol. about all the help i can give to ya regarding that.

Edited by Quizel

Guest Tehnoobshow

cheers guys. I definitely need to spend more time in game trying things out, a few hours over the last week isn't enough to get a handle on things. in response to the wiki questions though I've been through it a good amount, it's just missing lots of little things like why do I have to use 3 fusion cores on this mod upgrade and not 2 and another mod etc. and the biggest thing is most of the pics and vids and basic info refer to the game before the update, which is just confusing.

once I come up against something I don't know about i'll refer to the wiki BUT I don't feel a game that has a tutorial and an in game codex should require you to have the wiki open constantly just to understand what's happening every step of the way, especially when it comes to basics like levelling and playing/joining online matches.

The amount of fusion cores you need to rank up depends on the mod's current rank, and its rarity. Rare needs more fusion cores than Uncommon, which needs more fusion cores than Common. Each rank also needs twice as many fusion cores as the previous rank. So, a mod that has been upgraded one rank will need twice as many cores as it took to rank up the previous rank. This means that a Rank 10 mod needs the same amount of fusion cores as it takes to get 2 mods from Rank 0 to Rank 9. Mods can also be used to upgrade other mods. Mods with the same polarity (v, D, -) give more fusion points than mods with a different polarity. Rarity also determines how many mod points a mod gives.

Ranking up;

Press the Esc button, mouse-over your profile icon.  You should have a blue bar right below your profile pic, and a drop down menu with Rank Up on it.  

The lack of info in your Codex is due to not having things scanned into it.  You have to actively acquire the information to update the Codex.  To do this, you have to purchase the codex scanners and scan enemies/items.  Picking up the Helios Sentinel will help with that.  You do not need to scan your weapons/pets/sents, those entries update themselves.  They even give you a progress bar so you can see how far along you are on them.  

Mission difficulty is pretty easy to identify.  When you mouse-over one of the nodes tiles, it'll have a pop up that lists the occupying faction, their average level and a couple other things. I generally base difficulty off of my 'frame level and weapon level.  I'd recommend playing with other players just so you can ask questions as you're playing and make in game friends that can help you out.  Most players are pretty helpful when you let them know you're new and need help.  

If you do get harassed and are genuinely concerned, take a screen shot of the conversation and submit it to Support. (https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) To take pictures in game, Press F6 and it'll be saved to a folder on your PC.  You can also hit the print screen button and the crtl+v to imgur and then save the image from there.  You can also put that player on your ignore list by typing /ignore (player name) 

Feel free to add me in game or on skype, my clan is all about helping people. :3