The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

High Cpu Usage

YUREtheFURY

I really need some help, for about a week now when i log in and try to play warframe i get extreme lag no matter what im doing, i can be standing still on the ship or in a mission, the lag just randomly starts in and drops me down to from my normal 60 fps to 1 or less for a few minutes or until i have to force close it, when i check my task manager performance tab it says my cpu is being used 70% or more when warframe is running, and wont go back down until i close it. i have never had this problem before unitl last week, i havent changed any of my settings. i play on a hp envy laptop my hardware specs are:

i7-2860QM cpu

amd radeon hd 7690XT gpu

16gb ram

if anybody could offer some helpful advice i would surely appreciate it

sam, you make me want to punch grown dogs.

that I-7 runs at 2.5 GIGA hertz frequency

Y'see, I was going to Google it, but I googled something entirely different and forgot about googling it.

I make myself want to punch dogs too.  Even thought about inviting Vick over a couple times.

Anyway, OP's CPU may be on it's last leg, or it's getting too hot, or he may just need to upgrade.

Still 2.5 is better than my 2.0 GHz.

your CPU usage sounds very normal, it's not high at all. a 4*4 Processor @ 2.5Ghz (assuming it's at stock levels) would be mostly consumed by Warframe. Warframe does almost everything on CPU.

chances are, the CPU is getting too hot and is throttling itself to try and stay inside tolerable levels.

or another part of your Laptop doing that, atleast.

i'd grab a monitoring tool (there's tons of choices, and i'm having a brainfart and can't even remember my preferred ones atm), and check the Temperatures your components are getting to while Warframe is running.

-snip-

http://ark.intel.com/products/53476/Intel-Core-i7-2860QM

also Sam, you just like, spoke pure Cancer.

:D

(psst, Frequency is only a small part of the equation for a CPU, his having a higher one than yours doesn't necessarily make it better)

you bring up an actually valid point though, it's possible the CPU has encountered severe Damage. unless this only happens in Warframe, and no other CPU intensive circumstances, then probably not.

laptop... radeon... the issues here are numerous indeed.

try going into catalyst control and making sure multi-tread use is enabled.

this doesnt happen with  any other games you play?

i dont have that option in my control center, just anti aliasing, antisotropic filter, tessallation, and triple buffering which are all on except for vertical refresh, and no it only happens with warframe

your CPU usage sounds very normal, it's not high at all. a 4*4 Processor @ 2.5Ghz (assuming it's at stock levels) would be mostly consumed by Warframe. Warframe does almost everything on CPU.

chances are, the CPU is getting too hot and is throttling itself to try and stay inside tolerable levels.

or another part of your Laptop doing that, atleast.

i'd grab a monitoring tool (there's tons of choices, and i'm having a brainfart and can't even remember my preferred ones atm), and check the Temperatures your components are getting to while Warframe is running.

http://ark.intel.com/products/53476/Intel-Core-i7-2860QM

(psst, Frequency is only a small part of the equation for a CPU, his having a higher one than yours doesn't necessarily make it better)

you bring up an actually valid point though, it's possible the CPU has encountered severe Damage. unless this only happens in Warframe, and no other CPU intensive circumstances, then probably not.

it has happened in other cases, an example being browsing the web with multi tabs open while on itunes and steam but that doesnt happen nearly as much when i play warframe, and is there any way i can tell if its damaged?

I'm glad you liked the comment so much Taiiat.  I was hoping that you specifically would read it and say just that. 

I know that frequency is only the tip of the iceberg (was planning to walk OP through), and I know for a fact that his CPU is better than mine, you may not but I do.

Unless he has less than one core, and was made before good ol' 1999.

it has happened in other cases, an example being browsing the web with multi tabs open while on itunes and steam but that doesnt happen nearly as much when i play warframe, and is there any way i can tell if its damaged?

times in particular? such as web pages with intensive HTML5 modules, iTunes.... processing any action, or Steam downloading, loading a Web Page, checking local files, Et Cetera?

these things tally up a lot of CPU Cycles, due to inefficiencies on application 2/3's part, and depending on what the web browser is doing.

at any rate, running some stress tests may be a good way to evaluate if your Processor has been damaged in some fashion. i'd do a mixture of tests. not every stress testing application stresses in the same method. meaning one might cause an issue another doesn't. 

if the same sort of issues that you've been experiencing happen when stress testing, then it's theoretically possible something is damaged. narrowing down exactly what might be damaged.... is an arduous process. it sums up to basically checking every electrical connection to make sure everything is how it's supposed to be.

let's just hope it's a heat related issue or something. that's an easy diagnosis and usually an easy fix.

times in particular? such as web pages with intensive HTML5 modules, iTunes.... processing any action, or Steam downloading, loading a Web Page, checking local files, Et Cetera?

these things tally up a lot of CPU Cycles, due to inefficiencies on application 2/3's part, and depending on what the web browser is doing.

at any rate, running some stress tests may be a good way to evaluate if your Processor has been damaged in some fashion. i'd do a mixture of tests. not every stress testing application stresses in the same method. meaning one might cause an issue another doesn't. 

if the same sort of issues that you've been experiencing happen when stress testing, then it's theoretically possible something is damaged. narrowing down exactly what might be damaged.... is an arduous process. it sums up to basically checking every electrical connection to make sure everything is how it's supposed to be.

let's just hope it's a heat related issue or something. that's an easy diagnosis and usually an easy fix.

well i turned off the cool sense app, and multithread option in the launcher and havent had a problem since, just got done with a 35 wave ODD didnt lag one time

That model, and that GPU, seem to have heat issues.

People were asking HP for moneyback/upgrade.

Run GPU-Z in the background (it's a small no install program) and run warframe for a while. Quit warframe after you get stutters and check that your GPU isn't throttling down your core speed, and that your temps are fine.

An overheating GPU can throttle all the way down to 100Mhz for split seconds, while trying to run at half its rated clock speed (if seriously overheating).

screen2.gif

Ensure core clocks are running at stock, and your temps are below 80C.

Note: To find the 'Hottest' temp on the GPU click the little drop down arrow inside the box.

Don't select 'Min' for your core speed. Whenever it isn't getting used it will essentially turn off so you'll get unreliable readings.

Edited by MillbrookWest

That model, and that GPU, seem to have heat issues.

People were asking HP for moneyback/upgrade.

Run GPU-Z in the background (it's a small no install program) and run warframe for a while. Quit warframe after you get stutters and check that your GPU isn't throttling down your core speed, and that your temps are fine.

An overheating GPU can throttle all the way down to 100Mhz for split seconds, while trying to run at half its rated clock speed (if seriously overheating).

screen2.gif

Ensure core clocks are running at stock, and your temps are below 80C.

Note: To find the 'Hottest' temp on the GPU click the little drop down arrow inside the box.

Don't select 'Min' for your core speed. Whenever it isn't getting used it will essentially turn off so you'll get unreliable readings.i appreciathan

thank you for the advice! im definitely gonna try it and see what the temps are and since i still have a warranty i might call hp and see if they can do something about it

well i turned off the cool sense app, and multithread option in the launcher and havent had a problem since, just got done with a 35 wave ODD didnt lag one time

hm. everything is fine now that Multithreading is set on?

or was HP's bloatware 'Cool Sense' application the source of the problem perhaps?

hm. everything is fine now that Multithreading is set on?

or was HP's bloatware 'Cool Sense' application the source of the problem perhaps?

no i turned the multithreading off in the game launcher and the coolsense, cause it doesnt show you the temps or anything and west said that it could be my gpu throttling down to get cool, so i figured it might be that, in any case i turned those 2 things off and havent had 1 single problem since as far as lag goes

Try unparking your CPU cores if they're parked: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Sometimes parked CPU cores can cause issues with multithreading, CPU usage and unexplained bouts of lag.

Here's a Direct link to the utility. Just run it as an administrator, select "check status" and then "unpark all" if any cores come back as parked.

This will allow multithreaded rendering to run properly on any/all of your CPU cores without being excluded from parked physical cores.