Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Absorb's Damage Type

AlienOvermind

Absorb is great ability and it's also scales with enemy levels, yay! Well not quite. Absorb really is great, but Magnetic damage is not. It's like you can absorb insane amount of damage and still only knockdown some Corrupted Heavy Gunner. So, I think there are two ways to change Absorb:

1) Give it Finisher damage type. That would a be perfect solution in my opinion - unarmored targets would take exact amount of absorbed damage, armored target would take bonus damage, that would help to deal with insane armor scaling.

2) Another solution: Nyx should reflect the same damage type, that was absorbed. I.e. if I got 1000 Slash and 2000 Corrosive, I should deal 1000 Slash and 2000 Corrosive, not 3000 Magnetic. This way we would be able to somewhat control damage output — my ally with some Corrosive Dread would make my Absorb strong against armored targets and another ally with Gas Lanka would give me some boost against infested.

Solution with Finisher damage is simple and nice, but any of this would definitely be better than pure Magnetic.

Edit: after listening to what people think, I realized that dealing Finisher damage with current mechanics may indeed be a bit OP. So, there may be another solution: Finisher damage + ignoring friendly fire. It was strange in the first place, that Absorb absorbed our teammates' bullets, so maybe it's time to say goodbye to this mechanics.

Edited by AlienOvermind

I would say that it should be Impact damage, magnetic doesn't make sense.  You are essentially releasing a shock wave, so impact actually makes sense.  I know that still give you the problem of enemies having a resistance to it, but I don't see that as a problem.  Absorb is an amazing ability as is, they need to be careful not to buff it. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

I know that still give you the problem of enemies having a resistance to it, but I don't see that as a problem. 

Well, I see that as a problem. I suggested these changes not in the name of TEH LOGIC, but rather of the gameplay issues. Absorb is a wasted potential right now. The point of absorb: you get a lot of damage => you deal a lot of damage. As simple as that. And it doesn't work right now, because of the enemies' armor scaling AND magnetic damage type. Armor scaling is completely another story — changing enemy scaling is a big deal, so let's leave it for another thread. But simple change of the Absorb's damage type can already make crucial difference.

Oh, and if you you talk about what make sense and what is not — Finisher makes sense too, and of course direct reflecting same damage types makes even more sense.

So, I believe the changes I suggest are totally justified.

Edited by AlienOvermind

Well, I see that as a problem. I suggested these changes not in the name of TEH LOGIC, but rather of the gameplay issues. Absorb is a wasted potential right now. The point of absorb: you get a lot of damage => you deal a lot of damage. As simple as that. And it doesn't work right now, because of the enemies' armor scaling AND magnetic damage type. Armor scaling is completely another story — changing enemy scaling is a big deal, so let's leave it for another thread. But simple change of the Absorb's damage type can already make crucial difference.

Oh, and if you you talk about what make sense and what is not — Finisher makes sense too, and of course direct reflecting same damage types makes even more sense.

So, I believe the changes I suggest are totally justified.

Absorb is on the verge of being OP, and some would already call it OP.  The single damage type that is does is a balancing factor.

I am saying this even though my favorite frame is Nyx. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

Absorb is on the verge of being OP, and some would already call it OP.  The single damage type that is does is a balancing factor.

Well, DE chose wrong balancing factor. They should have make it deal Finisher damage, and to avoid Absorb being OP, they should've make it ignore friendly fire. This way Absorb would be ideal.