Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where Did This Als Ice Bucket Challenge Come From?

AVEOX

Source of the challenge.

Most other videos:

All these phony people posting videos of themselves doing the challenge.

Bet they don't even know what ALS actually stands for.

The challenge is supposed to raise awareness.

All these celebrities doing it for their own publicity. SMH.

Here's a new challenge: Catch phony people. Ask them what ALS is, what are they supporting etc.

Edited by AVEOX

i have to say something, i am little confused at your actual post you show a video from Fenway park with the person who has ALS and a friend of his who started it, so what really is the issue?

Is it the challenge or something else?

Oh the video shows where the challenge came from, but I'm criticizing most of the other videos that are following the trend.

I'll clear that up in a sec.

Edited by AVEOX

Okay let's say they are raising awareness, true.

But is the intent actually there, do they actually know what it is for aside from following the trend?

Well I didn't know having in in depth understanding of it was needed in order to raise support and donate to charity for it. 

Are you really going to stoop so low that you insult people who raise money for charity? 

Well I didn't know having in in depth understanding of it was needed in order to raise support and donate to charity for it. 

Are you really going to stoop so low that you insult people who raise money for charity? 

Oh so basically you're saying, all you gotta do is do a video because someone challenged you.

That beats the exactly purpose of *raising awareness*.

And no this isn't stooping low.

Oh the video shows where the challenge came from, but I'm criticizing most of the other videos that are following the trend.

I'll clear that up in a sec.

Ahh ok i was about to say i live in Massachusetts and i am well aware who started it and why as well as some videos of other random people doing it to raise awareness and in some cases raising money as well.

Most other videos:

All these phony people posting videos of themselves doing the challenge.

Bet they don't even know what ALS actually stands for.

Source of the Straw Man fallacy.

I find it absolutely appalling that you would assume you know anything about people who have posted their own challenge. Due to celebrity participation, donations have jumped a hundred-fold.

Ahh ok i was about to say i live in Massachusetts and i am well aware who started it and why as well as some videos of other random people doing it to raise awareness and in some cases raising money as well.

The challenge is supposed to raise donations and awareness too.

It's great that it is earning money, but do these people actually know what for? Are they aware?

Because I tried asking questions on most of these videos, and most couldn't give me a correct answer.

It's not crazy to assume that some celebrities are like this too.

Source of the Straw Man fallacy.

I find it absolutely appalling that you would assume you know anything about people who have posted their own challenge. Due to celebrity participation, donations have jumped a hundred-fold.

This isn't just a criticism on Celebrities.

Have you tried asking people on your Facebook Newsfeed /social media what ALS stands for? 

Have you tried asking them what they are supporting? Did they give you the correct answer?

Sure they are raising money.

But are these people actually being *aware* of what it is?

I suggest you try it with you friends who are doing the videos. See who knows whats up or who's just doing the video cuz it's the new trend like Gangnam Style was.

Edited by AVEOX

Oh so basically you're saying, all you gotta do is do a video because someone challenged you.

That beats the exactly purpose of *raising awareness*.

And no this isn't stooping low.

So if someone with a relatively large fan base (Lets say 100K) makes a video of then pouring ice water on there head and says it is to raise awareness of ALS, everyone who watches said video now knows about ALS (They know nothing in depth sure) but still that is a lot more people who can and some even will go and look at what it actually is and some may even donate to it. All I see here is someone hating people for raising awareness of ALs. 

So if someone with a relatively large fan base (Lets say 100K) makes a video of then pouring ice water on there head and says it is to raise awareness of ALS, everyone who watches said video now knows about ALS (They know nothing in depth sure) but still that is a lot more people who can and some even will go and look at what it actually is and some may even donate to it. All I see here is someone hating people for raising awareness of ALs. 

No I think that's what you want to make it seem I'm doing.

If you actually read and understand, I'm not hating on EVERYONE making those videos.

I'm not pointing fingers at who's phony. 

But I AM saying that there are people who are doing it for the wrong reasons, and I am challenging you to find them.

Edited by AVEOX

OP is just blaming those who follow a trend instead of doing a viral action for a purpose. And they are many that do it just for the lulz....

That's all.

Someone who gets it. Finally.

Thank you.

If BrotherIcarus wasn't so focused on putting me in a dark shade he would've understood it right away.

Someone who gets it. Finally.

Thank you.

If BrotherIcarus wasn't so focused on putting me in a dark shade he would've understood it right away.

Apologies your post seemed like you were just generally pointing at everyone doing the ice bucket challenge and not just the few who are just following a trend.