Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Questions From A New Player

Zaruban

Question

Okay so i started yesterday, i don't want to sound like a noob and try to figured most stuff on my own but i still got some questions.

1. How do i buy weapon and frame slots? i looked in each category in the market option but it's really confusing. 

2. How do i join random existing missions? Is there a way to see current missions going on and join in them? I know you can queue for a map and wait for other players, but its not my style. 

3. How do i join the alerts that keep popping up, it says it's in my navigation , but i can't see any icon, do i need to clear more content for it to show up?

4. What is a good first frame to build? I have heard that rhino is noob friend but has a bad reputation? I like nekros but it seems too support focused for a first frame. 

Edited by Zaruban

21 answers to this question

1. Head to your inventory via the esc menu. In the respective tabs, you should be able to purchase more slots (unsure of what key).

2. This is semi-possible through the clan menu, but besides that, just queueing up for now.

3. Some alerts may show up, but you do not have access to that location. Yes, you need to clear more content to see it.

4. Rhino is a great frame, people just bag on it. It's definitely recommended. Excalibur is his little brother, just as all around.

Devoid covers most of it, but:

1) Inventory slots for weapons and warframes cost real money--the currency is platinum. This is the only way they are available. You do get 50 starter platinum and this is where you should spend it (1xwarframe slot, 2xweapons slots). Platinum can be obtained from other players in trade, but it all starts with real cash expenditures.

2) Just queue up. It's random and you'll be placed in whatever open space a group has. Or you can just initiate the mission on your own and (hopefully) people will join in. Some missions are more popular than others and things can get thin late at night. Some missions are very easy to tackle on your own (at least initially) and some are virtually impossible (mobile defense and interception), so best to wait for others if you need that node opened.

3) Alerts will be highlighted by a ! symbol on your navigation map and should pop up on your news console at nav as well. However, you won't see them if you haven't unlocked the planet and node involved. Exploration is a good thing and it also earns you mastery points.

4) Well, Rhino will be your first opportunity and he's a good all-around warframe. He's excellent for new folks as he's a superb 'frame for farming material and mods--especially nightmare mods when you're ready for that. Nekros is a great 'frame for farming, but he's not easily available to the new player and not nearly as durable as Rhino. Consider him a warframe for the more advanced player. If you can tackle T2 content on your own, you're ready for Nekros (more or less).

Nekros is something that does not do insane amounts of damage with spells. You need good weaponry. Best frame to hunt mods.

Rhino... depending what u want, roar build to double damage output, max range cc spam 50 meter +, normal rhino with strong enough stomp to one shot most enemies in planetary system.

edit: speed runs with rhino charge for more than 80 meter.

basically  with rhino u get some what tanky, u get cc, you get dmg boost, u get mobility. And you have just started game so collecting more mods lets you experiment with rhino. 

Trinity is something i would recommend for new player. "nuke" for bosses, infinite mana and health, dmg reduction and also u can have fun with explosives and shoot yourself leg and kill enemies by hurting yourself. Also she is easier to mod without potato and forma because she has 2x defensive polarities. (you are new player)

You are new player so i recommend doing some low level survivals to get void keys. 

void key -> dragon key -> vault run in orokin  void exterminate/capture -> corrupted mod

Also doing defense missions 20 waves lets you get "rare" mods like streamline and other usefull mods

Nightmare mods, you want them all. Rhino makes it walk in the park. But other frames can solo it easily even without shields or mana penalty, but not so easily for new players. (lack of mods, no maxed vitality)

Edited by Agullimux

Have you maxed spell mods with him?  Shock is okeyish damage for early stuff damage and 100% stun and does not interrupt your reloading. Shield has infinite scaling and boost your damage output while shooting trough it. Speed makes you do missions faster and is nice add if you like melee. Only thing that is not so great is overload lacks damage but stun for bigger group is always nice if u get in bad corner.

it is 30% gas damage. I recommend to max elemental mod for 90% extra damage. It only cost 11 at points.

having 2x non upgraded mods is only 30% with 12 points.

Elemental mods don't more damage if u add puncure, slash, or impact mod.

If u add pure damage mod. Pressure point, your elemental mods also do more damage. They also get damage bonus from channeling.

Pressure point maxed is 9 points(120% more damage). if you add 2x elemental maxed mods. They cost 31 points, but stance gives 10 points so u have room for attack speed fury.

9 9 +11 +11 = 40 points= all points used if no orokin catalyst.

example, in D nikana with these 4 mods your spin attack grows from 180  to 1 121 and attack speed from 1.0-> 1.3

in short, maxed mod gives more damage / points than using multiple low upgraded mods with higher point cost.

edit: elemental mods do damage even without status proc. status proc just gives extra effect, depending on elemental.

edit: also do u need any help on bosses or in need of not so rare mod? (mastery rank 2 allows trading.)

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Elemental_Damage#basics

you might want to check that for elemental stuff, also each faction are weak to some x elemental.

some elementals might seem pretty neutral but viral status proc is nice.

Edited by Agullimux

Fusing mods... keep always one copy of the stack.

Fusing mods to upgrade other mods. Try fusing mod with same polarity logo they are 2x more effective than mod with different polarity.

Upgrading mod using duplicates is most effective. (if you don't have fusion mods)

lots and lots to learn lol. I'm trying to put together a noob guide as 60+ hours I'm still way behind after making ALOT of mistakes. I spent too much time in the Wiki and too much time going over quick start guides. the only real, usable info I got was from asking specific questions in the forums just like you've done here, and from the in game chat.

that said these guys have given you great advice, the only thing I'd mention is that the frames are stacked in order of access, kinda. you'll notice from playing that you need to complete planets before facing a boss, then that boss will open up other planets and so on. the order that this happens defines the order you can 'farm' Warframe BluePrints. so the first BP you can get as a new player is Rhino's, by farming the Jackal boss in Venus, which is one of the first planets you unlock. after that the next Boss(realistically) is Alad V in Jupiter, who gives you the Valkyr BP's. taken that each planet has an average level cap there is a distinct order to them, therefore an order to acquiring frames.

you have to remember that each Warframe consists of 3 parts and those parts have separate BP's! so you can't just buy a Nova BP(like I did) expecting to build it as the rest of the parts BP's are in a planet I won't be able to open for maybe another 60 hours!

so just chill with what you have for now and focus on unlocking new planets by completing missions, by doing that you'll naturally unlock Warframes. 

2. For mission nodes within the planet map, there is away to see if a squad is playing. Just click on the node and if someone is playing that said node it should come up with a count for how many squads a playing. Bare in mind that this is 50/50 as they may have finished the objective or otherwise have a full squad.

Thanks for the help, this game is hard to grasp, the tutorial doesn't explain much and there is a lot of customization for items.  Hopefully i will understand it over time. Do i need to finish Tikal on earth to unlock the planet? It looks like a pvp style mission. 

Bosses unlock next planets. Doing all mission nodes in certain planets unlocks nightmare mode for that certain planet. Nightmare rewards are worth it.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Nav_Segment  planet unlocking

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Bosses there is list what bosses drop.    Some people grind sarkas ruk for orokin cells and salad v for neural sensors

Split chamber is somewhat semi rare, raptor has pretty high chance to drop it. while farming nova parts. 15 times.

All bosses don't have rare mods drops.

Edited by Agullimux

Thanks for the help, this game is hard to grasp, the tutorial doesn't explain much and there is a lot of customization for items.  Hopefully i will understand it over time. Do i need to finish Tikal on earth to unlock the planet? It looks like a pvp style mission. 

no, the missions with icons are 'special' missions. the only one you need to do is the boss mission.

this is apparently a pretty bad time to get into it lol. Warframe just got a huge update which changed an epic amount of stuff, from the ship to the UI to the tutorial etc. it means that alot of the Wiki stuff is out of date and pretty much every video out there(which are more helpful than trawling the Wiki) is outdated.

I dont use the shock , just the speed and shield. I put the hp and shield increase mod because i kept dying. Does element dmg increase stack? Like fire and poison? 

I'd recommend you revisit not using Shock.  The thing about it is that while its damage ability falls off later in the game, its stun ability is always golden, and gives you (and your team) breathing space to kill stuff.  You get into a rhythm of Speeding around, Shocking (stunning) and killing, and then you use Shield for when you're well positioned, or to give you extra oomph with bosses, and save Overload for situations where you're overwhelmed.  Very fast, mobile playstyle in general, but with the option of turtling up when you need to.  However, you do need mods like Intensify, Continuity and Stretch to make the most of Shock (and all Volt's abilities).

The thing about Shock is that (with some power management mods - e.g. Flow and/or Streamline, poss Energy Siphon too) it's spammable and instant (and spammable no matter what you're doing with a weapon).  It's a great CC ability.

Good thread, helpful advice, very interesting read.

My biggest OMG moment when first starting WF was seeing some players fly past me and as much as I ran and tried to cut the corners properly could not even get close to them. Felt embarassed that I was doing something wrong until finding out about jump/sliding-coptering. Now it helps get around some of the huge maps without "losing the plot"

And most importantly, Welcome to WF :)