Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gas Or Corrosive Vs. Infested?

Kylecrafts

Question

I've heard Gas, just because of most of the Infestation's vulnerability to it, and Corrosive, for killing ancients easier, since weaker infested die easier anyway, building your mods to target them is useless.

Not sure what to go for here. Any suggestions?

~Kylecrafts

Update: Tested my Orthos Prime on Sechura (solo), seems with Corrosive, it needs 2 hits to kill  non-ancients, but will 1 hit kill if get a critical, PROc or headshot. Ancients seem to take the same amount of damage, if not, slightly more, but negligible.

With Gas (what I normally use), will 1 hit kill non-ancients, always. Sticking with Gas. Thanks for your comments guys!

Edited by Kylecrafts

19 answers to this question

Well if its a soma (for example) gas might be better since you can clear a buncha little dudes all at once, and then put something designed to hit single heavy targets with corrosive on it. OR just run corrosive since the little dudes die easy enough and then you get a bonus to the big ones

Corrosive because the light infested are just cannon fodder.

But i like using Gas + Electricity on weapons with high proc chance, for that awesome AoE damage. Ancients gonna be a little harder though.

Edited by RexSol

Corrosive because the light infested are just cannon fodder.

But i like using Gas + Electricity on weapons with high proc chance, for that awesome AoE damage. Ancients gonna be a little harder though.

Gas + electric lanka is pretty fun for the lights

since ancient healers got buffed badly (and i love em) i'd say corrosive, but if you have a weapon which u think is better against crowds or just has an high status proc feel free to try gas instead. (i mostly use corrosive tho)

Gas + electric lanka is pretty fun for the lights

Yeah that works great on the Lanka, on the Marelok, on the Amprex, on the Tysis, Serro, Bo Prime, Silva&Aegis, etc any weapon with very high proc chance really. I really like that elemental combo, even for other factions. I know the damage will not be the highest but the utility and fun factor really makes it interesting.

My advice would be to look at how you handle infested as a player.  If you have more issues with getting swarmed by enemies, go with Gas and maybe electric with high proc like RexSol suggested.  If you're having trouble with the ancients, go Corrosive.  If neither types are an issue, go with something fun like Blast just for the knock downs, or Electric or Fire.  If all infested are a problem...go Corrosive...or get a decent pet...or team with people.

After looking through the codex, (and I don't have it 100% complete, mostly just bosses and eximi left), all of enemies that I have fully scanned show no weakness to corrosive damage and fire damage. Personally, If I can build a weapon to have two elements on it, I'm going to pick fire and corrosion, there just doesn't seem to be any enemies that have a minus x% damage when it comes to these two elements. Plus if fire proc's you get a nice stagger from the enemy that makes them extremely vulnerable.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

You can just split it into 2 weapons. Keep one for minor infested with gas and have something to take out ancients with corrosive

I use Gas on melee weapons, and shoot Ancients in the head with a Corrosive built gun.

Many of you seem to be forgetting the buffs given to Ancients with the onset of U14.

Toxic Ancients - Do poison damage and gives all nearby enemies poison damage. Ancient and nearby enemies are resistant to poison and gas damage.

I've always rolled with corrosive fire myself. Corrosive for Ancients and fire for everything else. Not to mention the momentary stun works all-round.

Granted, this is would probably be more relevant for higher levels.

Its about a 20% DR, making Gas ~+40% against a lesser under the aura of a Toxic Ancient. Still better than Fire against Chargers.

Corrosive, for sure, is best for taking out Ancients, but the proc is useless. If its a high proc weapon you might want to go with Blast instead for the knockdown (if you like the knockdown, that is - I hate it on non melee weapons, makes headshots tough)

Edited by Darzk

you always mod   against the   enemy type that is going to give you the most problems  as you progress farther in the waves. For this case its the disruptors and Ancients. you want Corrosive. you can take out everything  else easy. you dont need gas however if you feel you do   mod your sentinel for gas or your secondary. There's no reason to mod for  small fry no offense.