Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Do's And Don'ts Of Excavation

TheArchAngel

Question

This is mainly to give players the basic know-how for Excavation missions (a.k.a Cryotic Front event)
I felt like this was needed since some players tend to go in blind and start screwing things over, and while I suspect said players may not read the forums, hopefully this will enlighten those who do. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Zones/Tilesets : There are 3 locations for this event, the first being in Earth where it's advised you reach up to 500 and then extract. After that the next location (Phobos) will be unlocked, do the 1000 point mark there and finally Europa will unlock and there you can finish up the event requirement. The reason being Earth only drops 100 per excavation, Phobos drops 200 per excavation whereas Europa drops 300 per excavation.

Energy/ Power Cells: These are dropped from special units in every excavation mission, these are the bread and butter of your scanner and your excavators. Without them your scanner won't have power to locate excavation sites while your excavator won't be able to... well, excavate. Each cell restores 20% of power and 1% of power decreases every 1 second, meaning 1 energy cell equates to 20 seconds worth. The UI will show energy levels on the left side of your screen. Note that you have to physically pick them up and carry them back to the scanner/excavator. Similar to deception missions, you'll only have your secondary/melee while carrying and can only carry one at a time.

Scanner : it's the first objective you have to do, find the scanner. However, the scanner does NOT need to be defended, enemies do not attack the scanner and the only thing you need to do is supply it with energy cells to locate sites for excavation. You don't have to continuously feed it power cells, unless you want more excavation sites listed. The UI on your left hand side shows it's power levels and time left until a new excavation site is located.

Excavators : THIS is the objective you have to defend, same with the scanner, you need to supply it with energy. However, enemies attack the excavators. I have seen some players run to the excavator, activate it and run to the other side of the map and start up another one. For the UI, once you reach a zone and activate it, it will pop up on the left side on your screen with power levels, HP bar and time till it's finished excavating. Each excavator will be marked with alphabets (i.e A, B, C) and will be shown on your mini-map as well, so do keep an eye on it if you have multiple ones active so as to bring energy cells where needed. Also don't stand in the center of the glowing circle... "hey guys what's that whistling noi- CRUNCH" - weirdee, 2014

Heat generators : This is only in Europa, in the new ice planet tileset. I have seen players destroying them and in under no circumstances whatsoever should you destroy them. Why? The heat generators provide heat(duh) and when you destroy said heat generator, your shields will slowly take damage and subsequently your health. They take a good amount of damage before being destroyed, so there's rarely a need to defend them since enemies do not attack them and usually only stray bullets hit them.

Pro tip #1 : For the event, it's easier to hit the 1k point mark in Phobos and then the 3k point mark in Europa rather than powering through Earth or Phobos. Since it drops 300 cryotics per excavation as opposed to the 100 / 200 respectively.

Pro tip #2 : For farming Cryotics, currently cryotics is obtainable only by playing the excavation missions, take note that you get half the amount of the total cryotics you and your team excavate. (i.e team excavates 1000 cryotics, you will receive 500 when you extract)

Pro tip #3 : it is possible to run more than one excavator, the problem will be defending them. Teamwork and management is key to running multiple at once. In my experience, I ran with a team of 4 with my friends and there will be always at least 2 players at every one excavator, sometimes up to 3/4 at a time.

Pro tip #4 : Managing energy levels, you don't need to continuously supply energy cells to the excavators, 1% of energy is lost every second. Let's say Excavator A has 60 seconds to go till it's finished, all you need is 60 seconds worth of energy cells, so basically you only need to place 3 energy cells to Excavator A.

TL:DR
Don't need to power through Earth : reach the first 500 in earth, extract and Phobos will be unlocked, there it drops 200 per successful excavation, reach the 1000 mark there, lastly Europa will be unlocked with 300 drop per successful excavation.

In Summary :-

Earth (100) - do 5 successful excavations [500 mark reached] unlocks Phobos

Phobos (200) - do 5 again [1000 mark reached] unlocks Europa

Europa (300) - this time it's 10 [3000 mark reached]

Scanner:
Do -
1) Supply it with energy
2) Needed to locate excavation sites
Don't
1) Defend it

Excavators:
Do -
1) Supply it with energy ( no need to continuously supply it, just enough that the energy level is equal to or above the time needed)
2) Defend it (it's the main reason you even went into the mission)
Don't -
1) Leave it alone after activating it

Heat Generators(Only in Europa):
Do 
1) Leave it the **** alone
Don't -
2) Destroy it, EVER.

Edit : For clarity and mistakes
Edit 2 : Added pro tips and zone/tileset

Edited by TheArchAngel

add "don't stand directly in the center of the glowing circle" to the excavator list

"hey guys what's that strange whistling noi-" *CRUNCH*

that's how they pack all of that cheese flavor into tenn-os brand cheese crackers

Edited by weirdee

Just ran the most unorganized excavation ever.

All 3 of my teammates ran around like headless chicken (as if they're trying to get highest number of kills or something) and dying. Repeatedly.

I was literally the only one defending the friggin' drills. 

... *sigh*

I've tried purposely hitting the generator, it didn't take any damage from friendly fire.

I've shot them myself and in my experience they take friendly fire. If it's a bug or not I don't know but it's always been like that to me and my friends, and every pub match I went into.

EDIT : I should also add they take a good amount of damage before being destroyed, so they'll hold up pretty well. But I have seen players empty an entire clip into nothing but heat generators and wonder why their shields aren't regenerating.

Edited by TheArchAngel

Just ran the most unorganized excavation ever.

All 3 of my teammates ran around like headless chicken (as if they're trying to get highest number of kills or something) and dying. Repeatedly.

I was literally the only one defending the friggin' drills. 

... *sigh*

That's how my first run was. I ended up just letting them all die (and stay dead when they ran out of revives). Me carrying them was balanced out by me being carried in my second mission (fell out of the map and couldn't revive on solid ground).

on an entertaining side note, i think trinity's link actually redirects that particular type of environmental damage to enemy targets, but i haven't tested it enough yet

i think this is one idea that deserves to be borrowed from metroid prime 2 though

Edited by weirdee

Yeah, I've had problems with Tenno activating an Excavator and running multiple times now. Anymore I'm just hoping my FrostP doesn't fall too far behind. Sometimes a Loki will rush to an excavator and I'll meet him halfway to it... I get there, *boom*

This gametype has great potential for teaching teamwork, but till then.... uhhhhh.

Yeah, I've had problems with Tenno activating an Excavator and running multiple times now. Anymore I'm just hoping my FrostP doesn't fall too far behind. Sometimes a Loki will rush to an excavator and I'll meet him halfway to it... I get there, *boom*

This gametype has great potential for teaching teamwork, but till then.... uhhhhh.

I really really love this mode, when I play it with my friends and those that actually have a sense of what they're doing. It has potential, hence why I decided to post this in hopes that it will help improve the pub matches.

Trinity is very valuable in this event, she can heal the drills (unless it has been ninja patched since I completed it very fast with friends.)

A Trinity can still heal the drills after hotfix 14.5.0.2. I just did my last two Europa runs as Trinity with clan members.

Excavators:

Do -

1) Supply it with energy

Don't -

I usually only supply it with sufficient energy enough to finish the excavation and not overfill it. I leave the excess energies lying on the ground so the moment the excavator appears again near that area, I have easy access to immediate supply.

This is mainly to give players the basic know-how for Excavation missions (a.k.a Cryotic Front event)

I felt like this was needed since some players tend to go in blind and start screwing things over, and while I suspect said players may not read the forums, hopefully this will enlighten those who do. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Energy/ Power Cells: These are dropped from special units in every excavation mission, these are the bread and butter of your scanner and your excavators. Without them your scanner won't have power to locate excavation sites while your excavator won't be able to... well, excavate. Each cell restores 20% of power, the UI will show energy levels on the left side of your screen. Note that you have to physically pick them up and carry them back to the scanner/excavator. Similar to deception missions, you'll only have your secondary/melee while carrying and can only carry one at a time.

Scanner : it's the first objective you have to do, find the scanner. However, the scanner does NOT need to be defended, it is not the target of the enemy and the only thing you need to do is supply it with energy cells to locate sites for excavation. You don't have to continuously feed it power cells, unless you want more excavation sites listed. The UI on your left hand side shows it's power levels and time left until a new excavation site is located.

Excavators : THIS is the objective you have to defend, same with the scanner, you need to supply it with energy. However, enemies attack the excavators. I have seen some players run to the excavator, activate it and run to the other side of the map and start up another one. For the UI, once you reach a zone and activate it, it will pop up on the left side on your screen with power levels, HP bar and time till it's finished excavating. Each excavator will be marked with alphabets (i.e A, B, C) and will be shown on your mini-map as well, so do keep an eye on it if you have multiple ones active so as to bring energy cells where needed. Also don't stand in the center of the glowing circle... "hey guys what's that whistling noi- CRUNCH" - weirdee, 2014

Heat generators : This is only in Europa, in the new ice planet tileset. I have seen players destroying them and in under no circumstances whatsoever should you destroy them. Why? The heat generators provide heat(duh) and when you destroy said heat generator, your shields will slowly take damage and subsequently your health. They take a good amount of damage before being destroyed, so there's rarely a need to defend them since enemies do not attack them and usually only stray bullets hit them.

Pro tip #1 : For the event, it's easier to hit the 1k point mark in Phobos and then the 3k point mark in Europa rather than powering through Earth or Phobos. Since it drops 300 cryotics per excavation as opposed to the 100 / 200 respectively.

Pro tip #2 : For farming Cryotics, currently cryotics is obtainable only by playing the excavation missions, take note that you get half the amount of the total cryotics you and your team excavate. (i.e team excavates 1000 cryotics, you will receive 500 when you extract)

Pro tip #3 : it is possible to run more than one excavator, the problem will be defending them. Teamwork and management is key to running multiple at once. In my experience, I ran with a team of 4 with my friends and there will be always at least 2 players at every one excavator, sometimes up to 3/4 at a time.

TL:DR

Scanner:

Do -

1) Supply it with energy

2) Needed to locate excavation sites

Don't

1) Defend it

Excavators:

Do -

1) Supply it with energy

Don't -

Heat Generators(Only in Europa):

Do 

1) Leave it the **** alone

Don't -

2) Destroy it, EVER.

Edit : For clarity and mistakes

You can get crushed by the drills? OH man I do not want to be the poor grineer or teno sod that stands under one when another teno comes near.

I usually only supply it with sufficient energy enough to finish the excavation and not overfill it. I leave the excess energies lying on the ground so the moment the excavator appears again near that area, I have easy access to immediate supply.

I do the same but just like Survival new players tend to just dump everything in it, this is just to give a basic know-how but I'll add that in, thanks for your input

You can get crushed by the drills? OH man I do not want to be the poor grineer or teno sod that stands under one when another teno comes near.

It's a joke, but there was a bug around somewhere that someone got punched through the map

Edited by TheArchAngel

Maybe you want to mention that an excravation device will need one power per second in for every remaining second the device needs one power percent to work and dig this cryotik up.

If that was all clear for everyone, ther woulded be soo many player around feeding just another cell to an nearlly finished excavator. And a huge thanks for writing this up.

Maybe you want to mention that an excravation device will need one power per second in for every remaining second the device needs one power percent to work and dig this cryotik up.

If that was all clear for everyone, ther woulded be soo many player around feeding just another cell to an nearlly finished excavator. And a huge thanks for writing this up.

has been mentioned in pro tip #4 will add another line in energy cells section. Thanks for your input