Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fix The Vectis...nay Fix All Snipers

Semshol

A sniper rifle is a weapon that trades magazine capacity and fire rate for a "one shot-one kill" deal.

This does not happen in Warframe.

The Vectis completely loses out to bows and the advantage of hit-scan being better for head-shots doesn't do much to help its case. For weapons that are in the same class..there really shouldn't be such a gap.

So here, this is what is needed to fix the Vectis, I have forma'd and potato'd one, so this is being said after a comparison to Paris Prime similarly forma'd and potato'd.

Vectis:

- Increase base crit rate to 35% base

- Innate punch-through of 2m

I mean seriously, an arrow fired by a string can punch-through AND ragdoll...but a sniper round can only go through one body? Don't make sense right?

With just those two fixes, the Vectis will become viable and snipers will finally have their day. In fact JUST the punch-through fix alone would be enough.

I am unable to test other snipers because the performance of Vectis just shut me down.

Edit: The other snipers have innate, I have mentioned this multiple times in the thread. So why is only the Vectis left out? If not to equalize snipers and bows...at least standardize the snipers with innate punch-through of SOME kind.

Edited by Semshol

3 changes would make Snipers god tier and finally worth using

1. Innate punch through with max range

2. Damage increases for each enemy it passes through

3. Infrared scope when ADS, similar to the codex scanner, except enemies stay visible

People not have a reason to use snipers.

I agree with innate, but not damage increase, that's an over buff.

2m is enough punch-through.

A scope that detects enemies would be HOT!

I disagree, the vectis need a damage buff, not a crit build. I agree that it need innate punch-through. The Vectis need to hit like a truck or something!

The vulkar in the other hand would need a crit buff, I see that weapon more fitting to be a crit build.

Vectis is suited to crit, because a damage buff won't translate well with its 1 round magazine.

Headshots need to do 3x the damage. THAT would make snipers a beast!

Not viable enough because of Vectis having only one round. It's base crit needs a boost. 3x normal damage on a headshot also won't help you.

Plus no innate punchthrough = fail already compared to the bows.

Edited by Semshol

Meanwhile i'm taking my Vectis to endgame stuff and not giving a damn because it wrecks.

You can bring it to end-game. That's not a problem. Heck I bring mine in...but a bow-guy outwrecks you..and that just feels wrong. Bows and Snipers are in the same class, therefore they should at least be on par, but unfortunately, they are not.

The only trade-off between the two should not be massive. It should just be charge time and travel time, versus reload and non-red crits and hit-scan. That should be the difference. Right now, the gap is huge.

Edited by Semshol

Infrared Scope, wall penetrating bullets, and a high powered sniper rifle.  One of my favorite combos in Mass Effect 3.

How about if they just pool all the damage into the puncture stat?

Impact is great against Shields which you are up against 24/7 in the void, same reason mag wrecks, so the damage type is fine. The problem is punch-through and crit rate for damage reasons. Which snipers are sorely lacking in comparison to the almighty red-critting bows.

One of the main problems not typically addressed regarding snipers in Warframe is that they don't have a niche to fill. Right now, both bows and Snipers are being used in a game where you're always exposed, always needing to be on the move (except for Defense or their ilk), and always dealing with swarms of enemies. Snipers are best used when you can be careful with your shot, and not have to worry a great deal about the fact that you're probably going to be mobbed any second, since all the enemies know exactly where you are.

Proposed solution: Allow for sniper-nest type areas within Defense-style missions, so you can actually snipe.

Oh, and we also need a damage buff, infrared, and punch-through. Those are needed too.

I agree with innate, but not damage increase, that's an over buff.

The damage increase is what would make them worth using. In a game with enemies rushing you down in small corridors and in large numbers, use a sniper like a typical sniper makes them less viable than a boltor/prime.  Making the punch through do increased damage greatly increases the weapon's usefulness and DPS while simultaneously rewarding you for positioning and aiming that snipers are designed for.

You have Lanka for that...

Lanka is crippled by charge time and lower crit rate compared to bows. If something has a charge time and is in the same class as a bow, it should damn well have the same crit rate. + Lanka needs to reload, bows do not. Point advantage, Bows again.

The problem with sniper rifles is their damage is extraordinarily inconsistent.

If you score that multi-shot crit, then you're likely to overkill the target.  However if you fail to crit or fail your multi-shot role, then you barely scratch the target and usually doubled your time to kill at the very least.

For automatic weapons, a sub 100% multi-shot chance is an effective straight upgrade to their DPS.  However for a sniper, it will be hit and miss by nature.

IMO, all sniper weapons should have an innate 10% multi-shot chance to raise their maximized multi-shot chance with split chamber to 100% (removing dud shots). 

Additionally, I think sniper weapons should get guaranteed crits or red crits when hitting an enemy's weakpoint (perhaps removing their ability to score crits on bodyshots as a drawback).

The sniper weapons should be rewarded with consistent and extraordinary damage numbers if you succeed at hitting weakpoints.  A sniper should be a valued asset for killing heavy gunners on endless survial/defense missions once you've crossed the threshold where it is impractical to kill them with most weapons.