Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Rank Sliders, Or "please For The Love Of Lotus Don't Make Me Level Narrow Minded Three Different Times"

rmg22893

Why don't mods have a rank slider? So, for example, if you had a maxed Vitality mod (a bad example since it's not very difficult/costly to get vitality mods) but wanted to use it on an unranked frame, you could level it down to a more manageable level, while still being able to use it on your 30 frames without having to have duplicates. Obviously you could only change it from the max rank you currently have it at down to 0, but I feel this would eliminate a lot of the headache of needing to have duplicate rare mods for different situations.

This could also be used for adaptive leveling, so you could slot out all your maxed mods you have planned out for your newly forma'd frame at 0, and it would rank up the mods as your capacity increases, preventing you from needing to go into arsenal every run to add in mods.

Edited by rmg22893

This sure would save a lot of hassle finding and ranking duplicate mods. Especially the case with stuff like corrupted mods. I'm sure there's good or glaringly obvious reasons it hasn't happened yet... but I can't think of any :P

'Cause it's a credit and resource sink.

But we have Kubs for that.

On a serious note though, screw having mods as credit sinks. It's really clunky and is the most un-user friendly as it gets in warframe. And most importantly, it makes player builds really static rather then fluid like the mod system should encourage.

Edited by EclecticDragon

Yup.

But this mod system has been in-place, more or less unchanged (addition of Auras being the last major change) since like U7 or so.

So I'm pretty sure DE wants it to remain a sink.

That's actually pretty true, basically once auras (which also counts stances, since they're basically the same thing) where changed, things haven't changed drastically at all. It's a shame too, there is so much more potential that could be unlocked in both interesting mods and in the system itself.

And we're back to this again. This idea has been floated since at least update 8ish. Mods have too much grind as it currently stands. Nobody likes having multiples. It makes the inventory messy and it's a boatload more grinding for something people already earned. Earning things twice sucks, ask Blizzard about achievements on multiple characters if you doubt it.

[rant]

Here's my take on why DE's previous responses to this are stupid.

Here's a freak'n hint, DE: This game is not WoW, will never be WoW-like in dedication level. Even WoW wasn't for most of us. I basically only logged in to raid on the 1-2 evenings my guild ran bosses. That's it. Maybe another day if I had to to prep for raid nights.

You come up with dumb responses like mod resets for a price and I consider quitting WF while I'm ahead. `Grind != fun`. Too much of the `Grind == Money` idea floating around and people will simply quit playing and your solution to profit loss will rely on even more grind and run what's left off until you have to shut down the servers. 

Balance grind carefully and react to negative feedback on grind quickly and appropriately. Yeah, the game has to be profitable, etc, but if you can't keep people happy with how much grinding they have to do, they'll leave rather than give you more money. 

Part of the draw to the game is the number of people playing it, especially for new players because they basically rely heavily on people playing public queues. If the grind sucks too much, new players will login to a bunch of other newbies who aren't paying customers yet, but they'll find it hard to meet the requirements of the still around and/or paying players to join the clans where they can actually learn how to play well. Now you've just divided the players into two camps: haves and have nots.

Haves won't want anything to do with noobs who won't grind a million years or pay money and the new players leave sooner because they can't join the 'good clans' or get decent help. They can't get what they need to catch up because they're not rich and the trade costs will be insane so it's spend money or grind to death. Nobody will want to pay just to play catchup for a game they haven't already committed themselves to and now even random matching is broken because new players stay for a couple weeks and leave after they realize this.

You'll try to fix this, probably by upping how awesome the new player starts (with some decent xyz whatever) and the old guard haves who paid for xyz back in update whatever will raise hell and feel less inclined to play (aka buy things). So now you're stuck with alienating your dedicated long time players to get new customers to stick around long enough to play.

You ask how I can predict all this? Seen it before. I've played MMO's for nearly 15 years and MUD's before that. I've historically been right with my suggestions to games I've played. If you need an example, Asheron's Call basically had to do everything I had suggested from 03-05 to keep going. They did it years too late (08 and after) so more people left than might have otherwise.

No, it hasn't been a total upset when you gift nice things to new players, yet. But when this all starts to happen as end game gets further and further from the new player experience, it will. Tread carefully because if you don't eliminate grind in the right places, the future is bleak. This is one of those places.
[/rant]

I expect someone will come along to tell me my little rant is mostly wrong and they've got just as much mmo time, blah, blah blah. Been there, done that, been proven right before. Flame retardant suit equipped. I probably won't bother responding to rebuttals to my rant so if you want to argue, pick something else more important like why DE needs to do this. The rant is for DE to dwell on, not debates.

Yup.

But this mod system has been in-place, more or less unchanged (addition of Auras being the last major change) since like U7 or so.

So I'm pretty sure DE wants it to remain a sink.

First this idea was made back in u7 where 60 mod point limit was pretty harsh, instead of adding that option de instead made forma(1st change), then after few patches when we have dual stats(2nd change) and corrupted mods(3rd change) this idea is being given again.

DE was opposed to that idea back in u7, because "ppl would derank mods during lvling and we dont want such thing to happen".

Quite few things has changed since then.

And we're back to this again. This idea has been floated since at least update 8ish. Mods have too much grind as it currently stands. Nobody likes having multiples. It makes the inventory messy and it's a boatload more grinding for something people already earned. Earning things twice sucks, ask Blizzard about achievements on multiple characters if you doubt it.

[rant]

Here's my take on why DE's previous responses to this are stupid.

[/rant]

I don't agree with your point. Being a new player what drew me to the game is the gameplay and leveling system. I like collecting mods and leveling mods. I don't feel the original poster's request is necessary either but I can't say it's a bad one.

As a new player, I grinded through the early levels and farmed the the venus boss for orokin cells as other options were too difficult at the time. There are plenty of public qeues to help with difficult missions. More importantly getting hold of void keys is a great equalizer and feature in the game. Got a void key, odds are there are people who will help you with this mission giving you access to prime bp's credits and exp. I have a number of frames at 30 that are forma'ed and weapons some even with a reactor or catalyst. I'm still pretty new comparing to people who have everything but I was never discouraged because I had to farm for something. I think at best you can speak for yourself rather than for everyone.

Now if someone can help me run 25 waves on Kilikan to get electirc damage rifle mod.
Edited by TaylorsContraction

I say that this should absolutely be in the game, but then we need to disallow the trading of ranked mods.

Basically, once a mod has begun levelling, it's no longer tradeable.  This prevents people just buying up max rank mods and never actually playing the game.  It also allows DE to keep their credit sink, and it also allows people to continue trading mods for plat if they want - some of them are frickin HARD to get.

First this idea was made back in u7 where 60 mod point limit was pretty harsh, instead of adding that option de instead made forma(1st change), then after few patches when we have dual stats(2nd change) and corrupted mods(3rd change) this idea is being given again.

DE was opposed to that idea back in u7, because "ppl would derank mods during lvling and we dont want such thing to happen".

Quite few things has changed since then.

The mods themselves haven't changed though.  Dual-stat and corrupted mods are mods like everything else, they rank up the same and take points away the same and go into the slots the same.  The aura mods are the only big change to mods themselves, since they have their own dedicated slot (unlike all the other slots this one only takes aura mods and other slots do not take aura mods) and they give points and affect the whole team.

Forma's a weapon change, doesn't change mods themselves.

Anybody stuck around the forums long enough to see this suggested at least 3 times before? I remember almost a year ago I made the same suggestion, maybe this time around DE would consider it +1 nonetheless.

Edited by Pisirk

There are plenty of public qeues to help with difficult missions. 

Read it again, Sam. I wasn't speaking about current conditions. Current conditions of the playerbase look rather healthy. The rant was mainly to DE as a warning to be cautious of deliberate grind and where that grind is located.

The rest... Well, you're still bedazzled by shiny things that are all still kinda new to you. That's typical of any MMO or game or even movies (the matrix anyone? Yep. Not many people talking about that these days and it even had it's own MMO to keep it alive...) How long it lasts varies from person to person and game to game. Most MMO's it's ~6 months to a year if you want a ballpark idea. This one is different from most others, so it may take more or less time depending. I give it more because it's a shooter with really cool chainsaws (that's a DOOM reference for you young pups). People love them some shooters.

The bonus this one gets is they fostered a fairly pleasant community by not making this a PvP focused game that boils down to x-box live chat where people toss pathetic insults at players they want to make angry for cheap thrills and easy wins. I'd say that was a master stroke design decision focusing on co-op the way they have. It doesn't stop the insults, but at least the winning motivation to do it was never put in place. Like I think I've said before, this game has a lot done well that should leave a mark on every game that follows. I would like it do more right and leave a bigger mark.

I believe the slider would remove grind where it ought not to be and give DE more time to make that bigger mark.

The mods themselves haven't changed though.  Dual-stat and corrupted mods are mods like everything else, they rank up the same and take points away the same and go into the slots the same.  The aura mods are the only big change to mods themselves, since they have their own dedicated slot (unlike all the other slots this one only takes aura mods and other slots do not take aura mods) and they give points and affect the whole team.

Forma's a weapon change, doesn't change mods themselves.

Forma is extension of mod system, dual stat themselves dont have anything to do with my point, but corrupted mods which increase both drawbacks and benefits with every rank are reason why we want mod deranking, without that minmaxers are punished for bringing mod to max rank and still would need that maxed version for different build.

Forma is extension of mod system, dual stat themselves dont have anything to do with my point, but corrupted mods which increase both drawbacks and benefits with every rank are reason why we want mod deranking, without that minmaxers are punished for bringing mod to max rank and still would need that maxed version for different build.

People wanted mod deranking before the void even came out... because it's useful when ranking new gear.

Ranked up your only serration to max?  Good job, but you won't be able to put that on any rifle until it hits rank 14 (7 with a potato).

I keep around multiple ranks of almost every mod I have,  in order to rank up new gear/frames.

People wanted mod deranking before the void even came out... because it's useful when ranking new gear.

Ranked up your only serration to max?  Good job, but you won't be able to put that on any rifle until it hits rank 14 (7 with a potato).

I keep around multiple ranks of almost every mod I have,  in order to rank up new gear/frames.

I remember what i wanted when i, along many other ppl was proposing mod deranking back in u7, limited builds meant that sometimes i could squeeze an extra mod if i could lower rank by 1 or 2.

For leveling alone i have a thing called polarity, with potato and v polarity it requires whole 4 lvls to put maxed serration on weapon and it takes 1 mission to get weapon from 0 to 4. If i dont put potato on weapon i dont even plan to use it and im lvling it purely by assist xp.

Edited by Davoodoo