Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cant Figure Out Anything Help Please...

(XBOX)YouWonnaDie

Question

16 answers to this question

Ok, I'm going to give you a quick run down on what's going on.

You have two different ranking systems in Warframe, three if you count conclave.

You have your warframe/weapon/companion ranking, which determions the health, shields, and energy of your Warframe and companions, as well as how much mod space you have to equip mods.

Then you have your Mastery Rank, which is your overall ranking, when you buy things from the market place, things that are XP locked, and tell you you're unable to buy them because you're low ranking, they require you to be a higher mastery rank. In order to rank up in mastery, you need to level your equipment more, max your warframe, primary, secondary, and melee weapons will put you close to Mastery rank 2 or 3, thus unlocking more things in the market place. 

Please refer to The Warframe Wiki page on mastery it'll help explain it better.

Rank of Gear = Level of Gear, and how many mod points you can use (doubled when an Orokin Reactor or Catalyst is put in)

Mastery Rank = total accumulated XP that obtained from lvling frames and weapons. Leveling a maxed level gear does not give you more XP towards Mastery Rank.

I am right there with you.  The mission level makes no sense; I am "level 2" (mastery rank) but able to solo missions that say level 8-9 on them fairly easily.   I can't figure out what the mission level numbers MEAN in terms of what I can and cannot do.  Generally I try something a couple of times and if I can't do it, I go do something else.    My weapons and warframe are now in the mid 20s and I am still a long way from level 3.  Most of my mods are rank 3.  

On buying stuff, if you are thinking blueprints, be aware that most require things you can't get until you can unlock AND FARM the materials.  I bought several blueprints that I can't use yet by mistake. 

As for leveling up, there is a test and if you fail it, you can't try again for 24 hours.   The first test puts you in the middle of a room and spawns a bunch of enemy all around, you can only use your warframe powers & main weapon.   Naturally, I picked the bow first thing, and was sneaking around having a blast --- I failed this badly.  I had to buy and rank up another weapon to beat it.

You can try whatever but I am having a lot of luck with the braton (sp?) automaic rifle as a primary and the throwing knives as my secondary.  The knives let you kill silently, if you are into that, and they are deadly.  If you prefer the rambo zerg approach, a machine gun sidearm might suit just as well. 

Before the tests, rank up the following things as best you can:

warframe shield points (find and rank at least once, if not twice, the mod to warframe shields)

warframe health points (as above)

weapons (improve damage as best you can), and ammo capacity does not hurt if you have room for it

warframe abilities (get all 4 and learn to use them)

As said, grind on the missions.  The "exterminate" missions are the easiest for a couple of reasons -- 1) after the goal is complete, nothing spawns and 2) the 'go here next' indicator doubles as a "mob radar".   Sabotage missions are easy as well but be warned, getting in and blowing it up is only 1/3 the battle, after that a LOT of enemy spawn to stop you from escaping.   Some of the defense missions are not too bad, including spy and mobile defense and so on.  Be warned: some of these want you to carry an item and fight only with your secondary weapon & melee (unless you drop the item and come back for it a lot).  

The mission level makes no sense; I am "level 2" (mastery rank) but able to solo missions that say level 8-9 on them fairly easily.   I can't figure out what the mission level numbers MEAN in terms of what I can and cannot do.  Generally I try something a couple of times and if I can't do it, I go do something else.    My weapons and warframe are now in the mid 20s and I am still a long way from level 3.  Most of my mods are rank 3.

The number displayed on missions is the level of the enemies within that mission (or in the case of defense, the first few waves of enemies). Enemy levels are similar to weapon/warframe levels; if you have a level 8 warframe and level 8 weapons, a level 8 mission should be semi challenging, but doable (depending on equipped mods).

Thanks. 

I thought it was item level but that is not working -- as  I said my stuff is in the mid 20s but I can only just handle the 9-10 annotated missions (solo).   I tried the venus survival (teamed with 1 person who thankfully knew what he was doing)  and totally failed to do anything except maybe stop some of the bullet that might have hit my teamate.  There is no way I could do a 20-25 ranked mission, at all.   Either I am terribad (likely enough) or the missions are designed for groups (not clear) or I have failed to build (but it feels like my gear is as good as it can be working with drops and no real money spent yet -- planning to buy in soon).   Starting to team more,  I excercised several weapons and mods solo trying to feel out the game before teaming up and being carried (I hate being carried).   Going to focus the next week on clearing venus to open maps.

The number displayed on missions is the level of the enemies within that mission (or in the case of defense, the first few waves of enemies). Enemy levels are similar to weapon/warframe levels; if you have a level 8 warframe and level 8 weapons, a level 8 mission should be semi challenging, but doable (depending on equipped mods).

Mastery Rank on the other hand is affected by how many warframes and weapons you have ranked up, and unlocks access to more advanced weaponry and some game features (trading, resource extractors).

Thanks. 

I thought it was item level but that is not working -- as  I said my stuff is in the mid 20s but I can only just handle the 9-10 annotated missions (solo).   I tried the venus survival (teamed with 1 person who thankfully knew what he was doing)  and totally failed to do anything except maybe stop some of the bullet that might have hit my teamate.  There is no way I could do a 20-25 ranked mission, at all.   Either I am terribad (likely enough) or the missions are designed for groups (not clear) or I have failed to build (but it feels like my gear is as good as it can be working with drops and no real money spent yet -- planning to buy in soon).   Starting to team more,  I excercised several weapons and mods solo trying to feel out the game before teaming up and being carried (I hate being carried).   Going to focus the next week on clearing venus to open maps.

by your mid 20s, you should have some mods on your warframe and weapons, as well as them ranked up some, health and damage mods are what you want to have on your warframe, they're needed when you get into the higher levels, also, the higher levels it's always better to go as a team, and not solo it, the shared XP from you and your team will not only help you level, but also you team. 

New players to the PC version, should try to team up with someone who's been playing for some time, and knows good spots to level.

New players to Xbox Version, should just team up, hopefully you run into someone who've played the PC version and can hopefully help you, but if you do a defense mission, go one set (5 waves), if you're doing alright and keeping the enemies at pay, and the pod doesn't take any damage, and you have 4 good players, then try going another set, if you start dying a lot, or the pod keeps on taking hits to it's health, leave at the end of the set.

Don't go at it alone if you're having issues with teams.

Warframe is very difficult in the beginning, you have only mediocre weapons, low mods, no potatoes and enemies are hitting hard. since warframe is a game of grinding, once you hit a certain progress in weapons, mods and warframes, missions will gradually get easier until you can one hit every normal enemy even on the planet with the highest enemy level. and then you will either enjoy simply killing everything or start to challenge yourself with how long you can do survival/defense/interception before the endless scaling enemies are getting too hard for you.

I was suffering much like you with having mid 20 level but not able to get the "better" equipment due to my "mastery ranking" as soon as i got up to level 2 and could trade,  level 4 now and taking 5 today the world truly opens up for your game play. take your mastery test as soon as u can is all I can say.

EDIT. watch the youtube walk thrus so you don't have to wait 24hrs going in blind...oh and take your companion/kubrow off or u auto fail...learned the hard way.

Edited by (PS4)dj_a-g_smuv

Yes as stated above, I count 5 ranking systems.  And all play off of each other.

1.  The base is your Warframe's and weapons' level.  As you complete missions and use the item, the item will gain XP and level.  Each individual item has 30 levels it can get.  Each level give a point to the MOD pool.  More points if there is a Orkin 'potato' installed, the slots are 'forma-ed', or there is an aura.  You can then equip MOD cards to the item to increase it's stats, each MOD uses points from the MOD pool of the item.

2.  The MODs each have a ranking system to each card.  You can use FUSION to combine similar cards to Rank a single MOD and increase the bonus it provides.  As well as the cost of the MOD card itself.  For example, the MOD card 'Redirection' at rank 0 give a 40% shield increase.  At Rank 10 after alot of FUSION, it will give 440%.

3.  Your Concave score is what measures your total installed frame's, weapon's, and MOD's PVP score.  It is seen in with a little bird or eagle icon in the UI.  You can use this to judge how deadly your make up is in PVP.  And it will limit you from joining certain PVP maps.  A low concave score map will be for example range 0-100.

4.  There is a ranking for average bad guy level.  This is what the game uses to represent how hard and tough the bad guys are.  It DOES NOT mean that your level 15 frame/weapon can successfully complete a level 15 mission.  It is simply the make up of how the game shows how hard the bad guys are for that mission.  Your ability to complete a mission is dependent on your installed MODs, weapons, and ninja skillz.

5.  Lastly, there is the OVERALL Mastery Rank.  This is a level that gets XP when you level a frame or weapon.  It is a total of all your items XP and level.  This appears next your name in the profile with brackets. NAME(3)  When you level your Mastery Rank, you most complete a test in order to advance to the next MR level.  Fail and you must wait 24hrs before you can test again.  Depending on your MR, some weapons/items will be locked from purchase from the market.  You can only level an item to 30 once to count towards your MR.  Building a second copy of the same item and leveling it will not count.

Great info everyone, ty.

I was not having trouble with teams so much as trying out the game at my own pace.  I turned it off because everyone was zerking around at warp 9.  I needed to go at a slower pace for a day or 2, but I am done with that now and have teaming turned back on.  

Yea, I have mods and ranked up and all.  No warframe damage mods though... hmm from memory shields and health, 2 of the 4 skills (I have all 4 but took off the 2 I rarely use), and enemy sense (probably not worth having but I don't have anything else).  I need to get an armor one, but have not had any luck there yet. 

What currently is my weak point is damage, really.  I can take a fair beating before dying but the enemy are also rather tanky.  Catch 22... I cant make the next weapon until I get to jup/mars and I can't get to jup/mars (solo) because the mobs are taking full mags of ammo each to kill.   Teaming sounds like the answer :)

yes teams are the best way to go starting out for me anyway...I was fortunate to run into/with a couple of good guys that "carried" me (if you will) until I got better/efficient with modding/learning maps/getting gear...heck one guy took me to the hives and we ran them 6-7 times until I got all 4 event mods and the weapon burning 3 suits in the process to do it (I kept hitting poison clouds)..with that said look for a group that you're comfortable with (there's a lot of good people...and bad) or find a compatible clan to join.

ps my writing is horrible so let it be :)

What currently is my weak point is damage, really.  I can take a fair beating before dying but the enemy are also rather tanky.  Catch 22... I cant make the next weapon until I get to jup/mars and I can't get to jup/mars (solo) because the mobs are taking full mags of ammo each to kill.   Teaming sounds like the answer :)

The problem is that weapons don't become stronger the more you "master" them (the level is basicly how experienced your player character becomes with it) or when you install a catalyst (nicknamed blue potato). As said by the others, that basicly just means how many mod points you have on them.

In order for your weapon to become stronger you need damage mods and level them up. Having a serration mod at level 10 (10 points for +105% damage) can make a night/day difference to every weapon. Likewise to further boost that damage you need elemental mods. Currently elemental damage is far stronger than the three kinetic damage types.

But for these you need to grind certain enemies. Not every enemy drops every mod (that actualy was the case long ago) and it's always a random chance.

You might kill the one enemy that drops serration 2 times and get two serration mods, or you kill that enemy over a thousand times and don't get it.

The problem of how dependend players are on damage mods which only drop at random from a limited selection of enemies has been widely brought up to the devs over the past year.

However here are some additional tips:

1. All enemies have certain damage resistances or weaknesses. Likewise all weapons have their damage based on certain damage types (often a bit mixed).

For example the Grineer you fight at the beginning have a strong armor. Therefor slash damage, which the sword or the MK-1 Braton focus on are very weak against them. Puncture focused weapons like Latron or Kunai do a lot more damage to them. Having eletro and toxic mods on your weapon additional gives it corrosive damage which works wonders against the Grinner.

2. Go to the wiki and check the factions for which resistance or weaknesses their units have.

3. There is a so called "Scanner" which can be bought in bundles of 20 (i think) for 500 credits each. Equip those in your gear selection under a quick use slot. When you feel safe in field press the Scanner on your quick item selection. You will now be unarmed and pressing the "aim down sight" trigger lets you switch to a First Person view. Holding the fire button pressed while looking at an enemy lets you scan them.

A scanned enemy will then appear in the Codex (left side of your cockpit). Scan certain enemies often enough and their drop tables and elemental resistance values will be displayed.

You can also scan objects like explosive barrels, secruity cameras or consols. While not overly usefull it gives a token amount of XP.

4. NEVER sell a weapon before you have not leveled them to 30, except when you really need that space. The game keeps track of how far you leveled a certain weapon, which gives you mastery points. However when you sell a weapon and build/buy yourself a new one of the same type, it will be reset to level 0.

That means for example if you sell the Paris Mk-1 at level 29, you will have got 29 mastery points. If you want that addition ONE mastery point you have to level the MK-1 Paris to level 29 again and only after you bring it to 30 will you get that last point.

It's a pain in the rectum but leveling a weapon to 30 before selling it, means you will never have to bother yourself with it again which you didn't liked.

Edited by Othergrunty