Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone Worried About The Ebola Disease Wiping Out The Human Race?

zavienh5

Hey, that's not fair. I thought we were talking about diseases. And humanity isn't nearly smart enough to rid the world of itself. What's more likely is that Last Men take over all of society and degrade our humanity until we might as well not be sentient at all. A fate much worse than extinction, don't you think?

You know,you are a part of that humanity you're blaming right now.

I thought like you some time ago, but if you are smart enough to realize that we are wounding our planet,you're smart enough to be part of the people who won't harm the planet. Not everyone is a greedy horrendous oil company owner man.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

This is from an organization called WHO. They are the official medical research branch of the UN. Unless...are you implying there's a worldwide conspiracy at work here? I suppose you also believe in the New World Order and that 9/11 was an inside job?

*Slaps himself* agh, I cant tell whos serious and whos joking anymore...

I hate it when people think there's conspiracies about EVERY LITTLE THING. CMON.

There's no reason to try to delve into something that's not there, you're just making yourself look like an idiot.

WHO exists for a reason, the INTERNET exists for a reason, we are all interconnected. If something was truly threatening, even if the Govt blocked it, we would know.

The answer to your topic title is: Probably not, since it seems that the treatments for Ebola are working (then again, it has been tested only on American and Britain people, as far as I know, but it would work for the afflicted in Africa. All they need is a way to mass-produce the treatment and say that it is safe for human use [i do think that the U.S.'s small skip from animal trials to actual human use (i.e.: no human clinical trials) is a bit rash, but it was justified]). 

*Slaps himself* agh, I cant tell whos serious and whos joking anymore...

I'm gonna go with the people who aren't influenced by the media hype (yas I used dat word) or tertiary word-of-mouth sources and who do point out statistics from the WHO, independent articles detailing the spread of Ebola, and draw conclusions from those.

Try it, don't buy into what you hear on the news without checking facts yourself. Those sites are maintained by independent, regulated bodies with no vested interest in seeing humans die out because of misinformation.

Hey, that's not fair. I thought we were talking about diseases. And humanity isn't nearly smart enough to rid the world of itself. What's more likely is that Last Men take over all of society and degrade our humanity until we might as well not be sentient at all. A fate much worse than extinction, don't you think?

Oh, we're definitely smart enough to kill ourselves. Give us some more credit!

The government lies all the time and is never entirely truthful on any subject. However, there is no evidence that the virus can't be contained in developed regions.

Even if they're lying about the extent of the outbreak, we know for a fact that Ebola spreads through bodily fluids. Just because of that fact alone there's no way it could ever turn into a major outbreak in any developed regoin.

I find it questionable you're only posting links to US news organizations, when the US news is heavily regulated and censored, even concerning everyday subjects. Take a look at UK news. In the UK, the news is unregulated and uncensored, to the point where we get incorrect information coming through due to news organizations having 100% freedom over what they talk about about. Give them a read, just be responsible with what you believe, because sometimes we do have incorrect information due to the lack of regulation, so read a few different papers/stations to get an accurate picture.

Take a look at UK news. In the UK, the news is unregulated and uncensored, to the point where we get incorrect information coming through due to news organizations having 100% freedom over what they talk about about.

Oh, the US news is just as bad...you should have seen the nonsense we had on TV after the Boston bombing

Even if they're lying about the extent of the outbreak, we know for a fact that Ebola spreads through bodily fluids. Just because of that fact alone there's no way it could ever turn into a major outbreak in any developed regoin.

Exactly.

There are relevant and legitimate cases of corruption and conspiracy in the U.S. which are much more concerning.

(Ex. http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/03/us/philadelphia-drug-bust-house-seizure/index.html )

That is probably why I ended up following the Financial Times. 

My preferred news outlet is Al Jazeera. They're unbiased by nature, with the exception of a few columnists.

Exactly.

There are relevant and legitimate cases of corruption and conspiracy in the U.S. which are much more concerning.

(Ex. http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/03/us/philadelphia-drug-bust-house-seizure/index.html )

Oh, don't even get me started on the problems with American police. That's a whole different can of worms.

Edited by vaugahn

My preferred news outlet is Al Jazeera. They're unbiased by nature, with the exception of a few columnists.

????????????????????????

WHAT. That would have been the untruest thing I read all day if I didn't see that feminist blog about Warframe.

No, Al Jazeera is, quite frankly, the S#&$tiest news source in the entire world. I'd take FOX's word over theirs any day. They don't just skew information, no, they flat out lie over here in the Middle East. They provoke, they cause riots, they, they, they UGGGGGGGH

Don't get me started on them.

????????????????????????

WHAT. That would have been the untruest thing I read all day if I didn't see that feminist blog about Warframe.

No, Al Jazeera is, quite frankly, the S#&$tiest news source in the entire world. I'd take FOX's word over theirs any day. They don't just skew information, no, they flat out lie over here in the Middle East. They provoke, they cause riots, they, they, they UGGGGGGGH

Don't get me started on them.

Al Jazeera America is the only news outlet over here without a signifigant political bias. I can't speak for what they're like over there, but in the states they're pretty good.

Ebola can only be transmitted through bodily fluids, it's not an airbourne virus.

"That's what they WANT you to think!"

Seriously, though, to the guys stating it's blood transmitted: it's not. It's transmitted by bodily fluids, which is a world of difference.

Drinking after someone from the same cup? GG. Game Over.

French kissing? GG.

And so on, and so forth.

Edited by Kamal965

Seriously, though, to the guys stating it's blood transmitted: it's not. It's transmitted by bodily fluids, which is a world of difference.

French kissing? GG.

And so on, and so forth.

And the kicker is when men's semen still contain the Ebola virus up to 6-7 weeks after they have been cured of the Ebola virus. 

So yes. Sex is definitely out of the question when men fall ill with Ebola (then again, if people are sick, they should not have sex anyways). 

French kissing? GG.

And so on, and so forth.

Human-to-human transmission, officially. Outside of rural areas though Ebola isn't as great a threat.

And the kicker is when men's semen still contain the Ebola virus up to 6-7 weeks after they have been cured of the Ebola virus. 

So yes. Sex is definitely out of the question when men fall ill with Ebola (then again, if people are sick, they should not have sex anyways). 

"I'm cured! Let's have celebratory sex!"

One: avoid hysteria.

Two: No, there is no conspiracy.

Ebola isn't an airborne disease.

As far as a know its exclusively transmitted through blood and bodily fluidsetc.

IT is nasty though.

In fact, Ebola is almost too lethal for its own good, it can kill in less then 8 hours in many cases.

The danger behind it is that because its causes you to basically liquefy from the inside you and up hemorrhaging and spraying blood everywhere allowing the virus to be more effectively spread. The point is though it actually very hard to transmit despite its infectivity.

Also, people with ebola have been lucky enough to pick up on it in time to be cured.

Sure there's no vaccine, but that is not a reason to even consider it being as bad as you seem to think.

There have been worse plagues throughout history (spanish flu, black plague) and you can bet that there will a quarantine setup etc as soon as it ever gets out of hand.

Out of all the virus's out there, I'd be more concerned with the common cold, OP.

Theres more chance you could die from that then there being an outbreak of Ebola.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

well, for 7 weeks, a man's semen has virus