Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] The Fast Track Of Warframe

Arabaxus

Question

Disclaimer: Here is a guide on what I believe is the most streamlined way to reach a power level to challenge most, if not all of the currently available content, so the guide will focus on the subjectively "best" weapons for their value, value being a subjective power level assessed against how much farming it requires to acquire. Please bear with my horrible narrative writing skills. Also I got lazy and only hyperlinked things I thought might be extra confusing to a new player.

So, you've just started your journey on becoming a Pokemon Master full fledged Tenno. You want to challenge the Void to its utmost depths, acquire coveted Orokin Technology from a long-lost era, but you don't want to have to cower in a corner and have other Tenno do all the work for you, or you simply don't want to have your arse handed to you by Corpus Crewmen donning golden helmets wielding what appears to be a Strun. You want to help fight off the infestation and challenge the mighty Lephantis without having to bring several hundred ammunition restores and spending 3 hours holding down mouse 1. Whatever the reason, let me begin by explaining one of the fastest ways of increasing your power level to over nine thousand a point high enough to challenge this content.

On a serious note, there is one thing I cannot stress enough when it comes to acquiring better weapons. Increase your mastery rank. Up until around rank 8, where each rank past that is practically nothing more than an ego booster, unless you are an avid trader, some of the most important pieces of equipment I will advise you picking up has a mastery rank requirement. When I neglect to mention a weapon or Warframe, it does not mean ignore its existence, it means I don't believe it is worth a slot and should be used for either mastery fodder or a fun weapon for you to mess with later on. I would mostly suggest ranking it up and discarding it, for the sake of slot conservation, assuming that many of you newer players do not sit on piles of platinum to purchase things with.

Mastery Rank 0-1: You're fresh off the boat, spaceship, cryo-pod, or whatever vessel you have arrived in. Armed with a selection of MK-1 weapons and a small collection of damaged mods, you begin you journey. I would at this point advise picking up a Braton (not the MK-1 version) when you have the credits, alongside picking up a Lex for a sidearm. The Braton is a standard automatic rifle, nothing much to explain there, and the Lex is a high recoil, low fire rate, high damage hand cannon. If these weapons are not of your liking, fret not, because we will be discarding them soon enough.

Mastery Rank 2: Whatever your starter Warframe is, and I hope you picked Excalibur because the rest of the frames aren't on sodding Pluto, I would suggest here farming Jackal to get the parts to build a Rhino, or less affectionately known as a Rhin00b. Do not let these harsh words discourage you from the fast track of getting more shiny things. As an effective, low level requirement, low skill ceiling, overall user/noob friendly frame, he will be one of your best friends in clearing missions you may otherwise struggle with, mostly due to the fact he is comparatively more solid than other frames when you do not have many other mods to compliment them with. In other words, he performs the best in my eyes when you have put in the least amount of work. At this point you should also probably see about putting a few ranks into your Redirection and Vitality mods through fusion, either with fusion cores or other mods*. If you can, put ranks into Rhino's Iron Skin, Roar, and Stomp. Stomp is good for buying you time to reposition or simply to deal damage, Roar is great for increasing your damage output with weapons, and Iron Skin is great for getting you not killed by random crap, especially when your Redirection/Vitality mods have little to no ranks in them. Also consider searching for a Serration and Hornet Strike, which boost the base damage on your rifles and sidearms respectively. At this point I would also suggest getting your first Vasto/Bolto/Magnus if you haven't already. I wouldn't suggest Lex for the sole reasons of user-friendliness and the fact that you will have more consistent performance from lower recoil weapons. Also, I would suggest replacing your Braton with a Latron or Karak if you haven't already, simply for better performance and base damage output. Also get Dual Zorens simply because they are very fast and great for traveling places through coptering. If you do not know what coptering is, please refer to: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/File:Zoren_Copter_Tutorial_-_Warframe

Also it would probably help by getting all five ranks on a Pressure Point, so while you save up resources for your firearm mods, your melee can kill things.

*1: Fusing mods of the same polarity will yield better results than fusing mods with different polarities. For example, Fusing 10 Redirections into a Vitality will yield better results than fusing 10 Ammo Drums into a Vitality. This effect should also be even greater if you are fusing duplicates, as in fusing 10 Redirections into a Redirection will yield better results and fusing them into a Vitality, as long as I am remembering correctly. 

Mastery Rank 3-4: Continue ranking up your mods. If you have the resources, rank up some elemental damage mods and use the correct combinations according to the faction you are challenging. 

40e7cbe046.PNG

(For more info visit: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0)

Meanwhile, look into upgrading whatever sidearm you chose to the AK version, both for better performance and extra mastery points for yet more ranks. Nothing much to do here except keep at gaining mastery rank. If you want to, get a Galatine and see if you can get the Cleaving Whirlwind stance from somewhere or someone, because I remember bringing the smackdown on Stalker with a Galatine this way. 

Also don't forget to progress on the star chart as much as possible. You need access to all the resources, especially things like Orokin Cells and Neural Sensors, later on, so the sooner you have access, the better.

Mastery Rank 5: If you can get into a clan, pick up a blueprint for Marelok. You can find this in your clan dojo in the Grineer Lab, assuming your clan has the research done. The beauty of this pistol is that it has very respectable damage and accuracy, alongside good status chance, which means you are free to build according to personal preference, damage or status. The downside here is you will require a Forma, which can be obtained from even Tier 1 Orokin Void missions. While farming for a Forma Blueprint, you can also practice shooting the shiny gold helmets off of annoying Crewmen. If you do opt to go for a Marelok, you should also get your first <something or another> Prime <Weapon Part> or Blueprint. Save them if you wish, or attempt to sell them. Inventory space that isn't built weapons and Warframes is always free, just saying. If you opt to not go for a Marelok, that is also fine, because your AK whatevers perform just as well, except at the cost of lower ammunition efficiency but are more user friendly in that missed shots are less punishing due to higher rate of fire.

Mastery Rank 6: Grab a Soma off the market. This gun is great for practically everything, assuming you put some work into it. You want mods Point Strike and Vital Sense because the Soma is effectively a peashooter unless you capitalize on Critical Chance and Critical Damage to compensate for the paltry base damage. Other than Prime weapons such as Boltor Prime, Latron Prime, and Paris Prime, three I like to refer to as the shiny trinity, Soma will keep you going for a decent period of time. Honestly with the current content in game, upgrading past the Soma to said Prime weapons is, to me, purely optional. If you haven't already, I would suggest going far enough into the star chart to obtain frames such as Frost and Loki, and probably Nekros if you are feeling up to the Lephantis challenge. Frost is great for Defense and Mobile Defense, Loki is great in general, and Nekros is near essential if you want to go past 15 minutes in survivals, especially at higher levels. Also I'd get a Serro because it's actually one of the best melee weapons, and I would go as far as to say, one of the best weapons in the game. Grab a Nikana if you haven't already because we need it for Dragon Nikana.

Mastery Rank 7-8: When you hit Mastery Rank 8, get yourself a Dragon Nikana, because ridiculous base damage in a package of refined Nippon steel is fantastic for most things. If you want to hit things very hard without shooting, this is probably one of your best bets. I hope you've been ranking up your mods accordingly, and experiencing how elements work, and have decided on how you want to build your Warframes, which is a topic for another time, because armed with your Soma, sidearm of choice, and giant Gilette Fusion or Nippon Steel, you are basically ready to enter the Void and farm for shiny things.

But long story short:

Braton -> Latron/Karak -> Soma

Lato -> Lex -> Magnus/Bolto/Vasto -> AKMagnus/AKBolto/AKVasto -(optional)-> Marelok

Skana -> Dual Zoren -(optional)-> Galatine -(pick this up just because)-> Nikana -> Serro -> Dragon Nikana

Starter Warframe -> Rhino -> Frost/Loki/Nekros 

If you have any questions, regarding where to get specific things or how to create builds for things, feel free to leave a response or PM me on the forums, and I will try to respond to you as soon as possible.

Have fun shooting shiny gold people to get shiny gold parts to build shiny gold weapons and Warframes while I drink excessively and attempt to farm for some shut-eye.

Edited by Arabaxus

11 answers to this question

excellent advice.

quick additional tip for new players.

don't neglect your defense missions.

the first three planets have a number of defense missions available and all of them will offer some excellent rewards at various waves:

wave 10:

serration

hornet strike

wave 15:

split chamber

the chances of these being given are rare. (that goes triple for split chamber)

but without serration at least you'll run into... problems, shall we say, past earth.

there are numerous ways to acquire these mods, but defense missions offer a good variety of mod rewards, great affinity and very solid practice for working together with your fellow players.

Edited by xethier

Excellent post, excellent note by xethier.

A thing I tell new players: when he's up, farm Phorid for a while. There are usually people killing him that you can tag along with.

The downside is stalkermarks, but he doesn't bolt you.

The upside is getting your hands on Stretch at very low effort, and until he drops it, you'll get a selection of elemental mods, some rares to fuse, and Nyx partsto either craft (at some point) (I love Nyx) or sell for an extra 2.5k credits per run.

Will see what other helpful stuff I can think of after some sleep.

Speaking of: sleep well :)

Nice guide but players can play in any way and with every equipment they want, thats why warframe is awsome

i don't believe the spirit of this post is to funnel players into this style. but simply to give direction to those that need it.

many players finish Vor's Prize and have absolutely no idea where to go from there or how to go about reaching the later stages of the game.

By all means, play to the style that appeals to you. But if you're having problems figuring out what to do. This should be of assistance.

Excellent post, excellent note by xethier.

A thing I tell new players: when he's up, farm Phorid for a while. There are usually people killing him that you can tag along with.

The downside is stalkermarks, but he doesn't bolt you.

The upside is getting your hands on Stretch at very low effort, and until he drops it, you'll get a selection of elemental mods, some rares to fuse, and Nyx partsto either craft (at some point) (I love Nyx) or sell for an extra 2.5k credits per run.

Will see what other helpful stuff I can think of after some sleep.

Speaking of: sleep well :)

I would've suggested Nyx except for the fact of the recent Absorb nerf into obscurity. But if Chaos appeals to you feel free to slice up some Phorid sushi and get those parts!

I would definitely pick up a Grakata around rank 4. It'll let you start working on the critical mods you'll need for the Soma and serve as practice for the 'shoot at the head to triple+ damage' that high end critical weapons take advantage of. You van also build it for procs with event mods and get an idea of how useful different types are. A Corrosive proc build works very well against Grineer, for example, despite not dealing direct damage.

Edited by Darzk

I would probably recommend the amphis instead of the dual zorens. The amphis has a very easy-to-get stance, high damage and attack speed (better at coptering than the zorens), good uility in its electrical aoe groundslam, and a respectable reach. These factors should allow you to take a potatoed amphis (mr0) far into T2-3 voids. 

Rank 5+ is well beyond new player advice.  By then you should know most of the basics and simply be limited by not having a lot of stuff rather than lack of knowledge. 

That aside, for brand new player...

mastery 1:  don't use the bow.  You are just making it more difficult and the stupid quests have a 24 hour wait if you fail.   This is one of the leading causes of frustration with new folks.   Just about anything else you can lay to hand will do, though be aware the simulated enemy are often corpus (with shields? I forget?) so be aware of that issue. 

And my take on it is to try out the weapons for yourself rather than go with the flow.  Many of the more potent weapons have drawbacks (limited range,  low magazine cap, spin up delay, etc) so you need something that not only has some damage on it but does not aggravate you to use it. 

which is better: farming rhino in venus, or rush to saturn to get sentinel? (since saturn provide sentinel's material)

I'd get Rhino first considering a Setinel isn't really essential to progressing. They (especially Carrier) are nice to have around though.