Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If Skill Trees Made A Comeback? A Warframe Skills V3 Thread.

Blatantfool

Its very much a longshot on DEs part of they take this path

Id love to see it but the work needed and the unfortunately high amount of people wanting an imbalance in the game make adding something like this worrysome

People who don't take risks miss out often. I feel like this community has proven time and time again that even though it'll yell and rant and shout it'll always tend to stick around during the times things all go wrong or get out of whack.

The way I see it, this is no MORE a risk then adding Mod Cards in the first place - or adding Melee 2.0. I could understand if you don't agree though. Like I acknowledged in my opening, the changes I desire are radical. 

All the little details aside, all my suggestion actually includes is:

- Ability Cards phased out, Warframes have their skills standards, you unlock access to each in gameplay as you climb from R1-4 on each new frame.

- Each Ability given a small skill tree of it's own so players can choose how the base attributes and extra effects work out as they level.

- Having a healthy variety of different ways a skill can turn out to encourage building Frames in a variety of ways for a variety of reasons. What if Loki's Decoy was firing an actual weapon? Stuff like that. You package some small variations that can be specced for each skill that may appeal to a certain type of player without just turning the ability into an entirely different skill. 

People who don't take risks miss out often. I feel like this community has proven time and time again that even though it'll yell and rant and shout it'll always tend to stick around during the times things all go wrong or get out of whack.

The way I see it, this is no MORE a risk then adding Mod Cards in the first place - or adding Melee 2.0. I could understand if you don't agree though. Like I acknowledged in my opening, the changes I desire are radical. 

All the little details aside, all my suggestion actually includes is:

- Ability Cards phased out, Warframes have their skills standards, you unlock access to each in gameplay as you climb from R1-4 on each new frame.

- Each Ability given a small skill tree of it's own so players can choose how the base attributes and extra effects work out as they level.

- Having a healthy variety of different ways a skill can turn out to encourage building Frames in a variety of ways for a variety of reasons. What if Loki's Decoy was firing an actual weapon? Stuff like that. You package some small variations that can be specced for each skill that may appeal to a certain type of player without just turning the ability into an entirely different skill. 

Its a great idea and im all for it

But if it starts off too powerful just as a test and needs to be toned don itll become a long series of battles on the forum with the possibility of a longstanding imbalance

Much like Blessing was and the current overheat debate

Hopefully that wont ever happen again

Edited by Azawarau

I do like this idea of being able to fine tune abilities to do exactly what you want, though I am still not sold on skill trees.

As long as it is something that you can respec it freely I'd be less sceptical, though with a f2p model I can see more forma being used here...

Really the point that most interests me is the modifiers aspect, and what you could do with it.

Finally one last question, would mods like blind rage and fleeting expertise be kept with the new system, or would they be trashed in favour of the skill tree. I assume that it has been answered but reading through 3 pages looks like a bit much right now.

Finally one last question, would mods like blind rage and fleeting expertise be kept with the new system, or would they be trashed in favour of the skill tree. I assume that it has been answered but reading through 3 pages looks like a bit much right now.

The mod system would remain and apply its effects to the customized abilities.

That's an interesting question.

My knee-jerk reaction would be to leave them and have them modify base numbers only, like how HP/Shields work now, but if I keep going down that road I run into the same problem we have today where the mod collection would be impossible to balance across all abilities in all kits on all frames.

Right now I'm thinking that existing mods would have to be nerfed real hard, but apply their new smaller % bonuses after and on top of the tree's bonuses. The tree must be the bigger influence or it defeats the whole purpose of balancing skills individually.

I do like this idea of being able to fine tune abilities to do exactly what you want, though I am still not sold on skill trees.

As long as it is something that you can respec it freely I'd be less sceptical, though with a f2p model I can see more forma being used here...

Really the point that most interests me is the modifiers aspect, and what you could do with it.

I'm of the opinion that resetting a skill should cost Credits, though I'd add the functionality of having Forma also reset since that would render the Frame at R0 again.

As a general example as to my thought process.

Reset 1 skill - 5k credits

Reset 2 skill - 10k credits

Reset 3 skill - 15k credits

And so on. Cheap. Easy. 

As for mods like Blind Rage - they'd stay but some would probably need alteration to prevent insanity. Mods that effect abilities use said abilities base stats to decide what kind of effect they'll have. This skill tree concept revolves entirely around the idea that Players should have a Skill tree to help build onto those base stats/effects with our own choices.

All the mods that enhance abilities would be fine. The idea here is a change to how skills grow. This is "Out with having a 3 rank Ability card, in with having a skill tree that lets us do awesome stuff with skill growth ourselves."

I'm of the opinion that resetting a skill should cost Credits, though I'd add the functionality of having Forma also reset since that would render the Frame at R0 again.

As a general example as to my thought process.

Reset 1 skill - 5k credits

Reset 2 skill - 10k credits

Reset 3 skill - 15k credits

And so on. Cheap. Easy. 

This is the point where I have to disagree. Respec should be free. To claim that respec should have a cost is like saying that there should be a credit cost to swapping mods, or to change warframe. A big part of why I enjoy Warframe is because nothing is locked in. I can change frame at will, I can swap out mods at any point. I can change and customize to how I feel like playing at any given moment.

Edited by Tails-san

This is the point where I have to disagree. Respec should be free. To claim that respec should have a cost is like saying that there should be a credit cost to swapping mods, or to change warframe. A big part of why I enjoy Warframe is because nothing is locked in. I can change frame at will, I can swap out mods at any point. I can change and customize to how I feel like playing at any given moment.

Sounds fine to me. Whether or not there is a small cost to it doesn't actually make a difference to me, personally.