The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How About An Auction House?

Nelkeel

how about something like ebay? where you just say: "i'm selling this mod/part/bp, starting price is X plats" and, everyone interested in the item sold woukd make an offer, always higher than the one before.

like a REAL auction house, not like i'm selling this item for this price and stop.

sellers say the starting price, buyers state the end price.

also, you can make just a limited number of offers, based on your mastery rank.

how about something like ebay? where you just say: "i'm selling this mod/part/bp, starting price is X plats" and, everyone interested in the item sold woukd make an offer, always higher than the one before.

like a REAL auction house, not like i'm selling this item for this price and stop.

I did play a game where the trading house was working like that, could also put a buy-off directly price

also, you can make just a limited number of offers, based on your mastery rank.

Again, there should be a "buy now" price option (default) and the option to set up a traditional auction as well (for super rare items like Legendary Fusion Cores or Arcane Helmets).

Again, there should be a "buy now" price option (default) and the option to set up a traditional auction as well (for super rare items like Legendary Fusion Cores or Arcane Helmets).

the actual problem with the "buy now" button/option is that the prices would really get low!

that's why a REAL auction house is the only solution i can think of to keep prices high enough to keep trade a good thing to do.

also, i would let ppl trade for credits, but with an option like "sell for plats only"/"sell for credits, too"

the actual problem with the "buy now" button/option is that the prices would really get low!

that's why a REAL auction house is the only solution i can think of to keep prices high enough to keep trade a good thing to do.

also, i would let ppl trade for credits, but with an option like "sell for plats only"/"sell for credits, too"

Supply and Demand would handle prices.

I'm sure everyone would hate if the prices "would get really low."

How about this?  Everyone else pays the normal prices and you pay three times the market value.  That way you have your artificially high prices and everyone else has actual market prices.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Look at TF2's hatconomy before and after the introduction of the Steam Market. Trade servers are basically dead now and there isn't a single thing that costs more than 5 dollars on the market, whereas before, rare hats could sell for hundreds.

Look at TF2's hatconomy before and after the introduction of the Steam Market. Trade servers are basically dead now and there isn't a single thing that costs more than 5 dollars on the market, whereas before, rare hats could sell for hundreds.

The horror.  Let's keep the rare hats at hundreds of dollars rather than five.

That is really your argument?

I sell those game card things in the steam marketplace. And judging from what I have seen so far, the same system would work pretty well. I am all for an auction house. I just don't have the time or patience to post and read and respond a bazillion times. A marketplace would be so much better (of course you could have both). In the Steam marketplace, there is the average price, and you then set the price of your item. Then you are done. Any money you make goes directly into your account. No long process. Simple and easy.

It would only be good if it was used by the people who have been using the trade channel all this time because they (hopefully) understand the importance of keeping a good price to sell. (good for people who gets their plat by trading only)

People who are new to trading would just undercut each other until everything becomes too cheap (good for people who gets their plat by buying them with real money)

Absolutely not, whether it's an Auction House or a Market, it will destroy the economy to the point everything is worth 1 plat. People will undercut just to sell faster, eventually It will take 20 Crimson Dervish to get 20 plat.

If Crimson Dervish is selling for 1 plant then thats all it is actually worth and those selling it for 10-20 have inflated the prices.

Problem with Auction Houses: YOU CAN SEE ALL OFFERS FOR AN ITEM

This means that sellers will continually undercut each other until the price for max rank mods is at the lowest acceptable price of around 5~10p.

This also means that buyers will immediately buy the lowest offer, and force sellers to do the above.

Solution: KEEP ALL TRADE OFFERS HIDDEN AND ONLY ALLOW PLAYERS TO SET THE PRICE THEY WANT TO BUY/SELL AT (THE GRAND EXCHANGE SYSTEM FROM RUNESCAPE)

So you want artifically inflate the value of items?

All of those are only worth that amount.   However the benefit is 1000s of those hats sell now where handfuls sold before, meaning more money is being spent overall.

Things selling for what amounts to trivial amount of platinum means people more freely spend platinum, meaning more platinum moves around the market and it gets into the hands of more people to spend it on cosmetics/slots.

Many people will use traded plat to buy cosmetics they wouldnt otherwise buy with platinum they bought themselves, as its often seen as free platinum.

Well that simply not true. Still rares costs alot, problem is that TF2 getting old and people move to other games (SO HL3 CONFIRMED!!!111)

i`m not saying that TF2 will die tomorrow, no, but its quite OLD already for F2P (P2W really) project - over 7 years. Though its daum fun and probably will never die at all.

To OP:

I wrote in dozens of such threads, it all goes the same...

5% Sellers = Haters of AH, making up stupid and out of reality reasons to not to implement AH.

90% Poor Players = AH worshipers, thinking that AH will alllow them to get Bite R10 for 1 plat.

5% Adequate Players = they think that current wild market system needs changes. AH listing seems good, though it should be resticted by MR and number of selling items\amount of plat per day you can get from trading on AH should be limited. That will keep the economy from GO BOOM fast.

But its all up for DE to decide, how they will do it. We just wait and hope we`ll see AH in U15. 

Well that simply not true. Still rares costs alot, problem is that TF2 getting old and people move to other games (SO HL3 CONFIRMED!!!111)

i`m not saying that TF2 will die tomorrow, no, but its quite OLD already for F2P (P2W really) project - over 7 years. Though its daum fun and probably will never die at all.

To OP:

I wrote in dozens of such threads, it all goes the same...

5% Sellers = Haters of AH, making up stupid and out of reality reasons to not to implement AH.

90% Poor Players = AH worshipers, thinking that AH will alllow them to get Bite R10 for 1 plat.

5% Adequate Players = they think that current wild market system needs changes. AH listing seems good, though it should be resticted by MR and number of selling items\amount of plat per day you can get from trading on AH should be limited. That will keep the economy from GO BOOM fast.

But its all up for DE to decide, how they will do it. We just wait and hope we`ll see AH in U15. 

Restricting listings by mastery rank alone would be a lot.  I'm also not attached to an "auction" function per se - straight sales is fine.  Market prices are interesting, if people do try to sell too low, it's easy for people to just buy up the excess and adjust the price.  Things that are actually "rare" in the truest since won't have to worry about it because there shouldn't ever be a glut on the market.

I think there's a good chance for Prime parts to get really cheap, but that's DE's fault really.  The beast of the RNG is that you often wind up with gigantic stacks of some part you weren't trying for and that would be a pain to try to unload in trade chat.  Take that factor x 100 to a market, and all those stacks of receivers/bps/whatever hit the market and the price drops.  I guess they could give prime parts 5p price floors or something, though it seems unnecessary to me.

Restricting listings by mastery rank alone would be a lot.  I'm also not attached to an "auction" function per se - straight sales is fine.  Market prices are interesting, if people do try to sell too low, it's easy for people to just buy up the excess and adjust the price.  Things that are actually "rare" in the truest since won't have to worry about it because there shouldn't ever be a glut on the market.

I think there's a good chance for Prime parts to get really cheap, but that's DE's fault really.  The beast of the RNG is that you often wind up with gigantic stacks of some part you weren't trying for and that would be a pain to try to unload in trade chat.  Take that factor x 100 to a market, and all those stacks of receivers/bps/whatever hit the market and the price drops.  I guess they could give prime parts 5p price floors or something, though it seems unnecessary to me.

Well most of old prime parts are already 5 p per stack, no one needs them. The real value of AH to community will be selling mods and maybe some rares easier and faster. Common things (like common mods and parts) will just get a way to be distributed fast. As for rare\new primes... I dont think their value will drop with AH. Do you really think that people will sell Legendary Cores there for 100 plat only because they can do it on AH? Fcourse not.

Edited by Vicious_D

billion times yes!

for all the good reasons quoted thru all the pages

-lower price for sure due to the offer/demands but much more customers who actually don't want to waste time reading a spam window selling/buying overpriced stuff.

-No more endless invite/bug dojo, endless talk on unfixed prices etc etc...

All good

There were a good thread about that, auction house can be a problem but if you put some well though out restrictions it may work fine

Oh, but you're making a real bad representation lol.

In my case, I'd prefer a market place, stalls or some way to put a listing, kinda feel a trading house doesn't fit warframe, though it depend of how they'd do it.

There were a good thread about that, auction house can be a problem but if you put some well though out restrictions it may work fine

Oh, but you're making a real bad representation lol.

In my case, I'd prefer a market place, stalls or some way to put a listing, kinda feel a trading house doesn't fit warframe, though it depend of how they'd do it.

Well, yeah, because one side thinks that AH will kill WF, other side thinks that AH will make everything free of charge.

Like someone said here, there is no dark and light, there are shades of gray.

Well, to have stalls, we need to have a hub area, to have a hub area - we need a "green" area with Darvo trading post, parking for unique cool Lisets, walking alley... then people willl require noble quarter for major clan housing, mounts, epic skanas... you got the idea?

Trading post with simple listing, available from some display on your Liset\Clan Dojo construction should do just fine. 

It would only be good if it was used by the people who have been using the trade channel all this time because they (hopefully) understand the importance of keeping a good price to sell. (good for people who gets their plat by trading only)

People who are new to trading would just undercut each other until everything becomes too cheap (good for people who gets their plat by buying them with real money)

Just so I understand, you are saying that the people who have been playing the longest with stacks and stacks of mods and prime armor that never sells will conspire to keep the prices high while the people who are new to trading that have nothing, because, well, they are new to trading, will undercut each other until everything is too cheap?

Well, yeah, because one side thinks that AH will kill WF, other side thinks that AH will make everything free of charge.

Like someone said here, there is no dark and light, there are shades of gray.

Well, to have stalls, we need to have a hub area, to have a hub area - we need a "green" area with Darvo trading post, parking for unique cool Lisets, walking alley... then people willl require noble quarter for major clan housing, mounts, epic skanas... you got the idea?

Trading post with simple listing, available from some display on your Liset\Clan Dojo construction should do just fine. 

Or one of those three unused stations at the front of the ship could be the store's portal.

Just so I understand, you are saying that the people who have been playing the longest with stacks and stacks of mods and prime armor that never sells will conspire to keep the prices high while the people who are new to trading that have nothing, because, well, they are new to trading, will undercut each other until everything is too cheap?

People who have been trading for a long time knows to sell mods/prime parts at the already established price. Rarely will any of them sell for lower than the average price. Some might try to sell for higher.

People who are new that don't know or don't care about trading will sell for 1 plat lower than the average so it will be sold faster, and since everyone can see the price, other people will undercut that price by 1 plat too because they want to sell their item faster too. This will keep happening until a new, lower average price is reached. Of course this can be avoided if people keep selling them at the average price and don't undercut each other, but I doubt that will happen.

People who have been trading for a long time knows to sell mods/prime parts at the already established price. Rarely will any of them sell for lower than the average price. Some might try to sell for higher.

People who are new that don't know or don't care about trading will sell for 1 plat lower than the average so it will be sold faster, and since everyone can see the price, other people will undercut that price by 1 plat too because they want to sell their item faster too. This will keep happening until a new, lower average price is reached. Of course this can be avoided if people keep selling them at the average price and don't undercut each other, but I doubt that will happen.

How is the law of supply and demand avoided?

Things in a free market sell for what they are worth.  Let's look at the rhino prime chassis.  I think that's the rare one.

It will sell for a high price.

So high a price that more people will want to farm it.

The more people farm it, the more supply will be created.

As more supply is created, more people will sell it a lower price to make the sell.

As the price drops, some people will stop running missions to farm it because the trouble and time isn't worth the current price.

If the supply drops too much, the price will rise.

If the price rises high enough to warrant to the time & trouble to farm it, people will start to farm it again.

And the price will settle at at a current point.

That's how it should work.  Are you arguing that a set of Rhino Prime armor should still for over 600k of plat or higher when it sells for 60p now?

Prices being set artificially high due to trading annoyances, the time of day, who is on, and so on is not the right way to do things.

Why are you arguing that everyone should keep higher prices?

I'm not saying that people should be allowed to sell for ridiculous higher prices, I know some people do and they can get away with it when selling to new players who didn't know any better (IMO they should do a bit of research first before blindly buying things with plat), I myself usually sell with the average price (10p for nightmare mods, 15p for corrupted/rare drop mods etc.)

But with the introduction of an auction house the average price will drop due to undercutting, especially because everyone can see each other's price, there's no doubt some people will undercut the average price just so their item can be sold faster, other people will try to adjust to this and sell for lower too so people will buy what they're selling. Over time the average price might be reduced to say, 5p for nightmare mods and 10p for corrupted/rare drop mods. And for some people who only gets plat through trading (like me), it means that it will be slightly harder to get plat.

Yep,

Thats the rules of digital items trading and AH. And price will be desided by both sellers, who will not go below certain price, and buyers, who will buy only when price hits certain limit. I see that will happen with AH, when it will be implemented.

I already wrote, that total amount of items, available for sale ingame from all players is around 1.6 bil. items. So most likely price for something like Ortos Prime handle (which even I have 18 items and I`m not farming hard) will be sold for like 1 plat. 

Also nice way to limit AH trading is to make a high tax for sellers in credits, so they`ll have to pay for selling stuff for plat.

Over time the average price might be reduced to say, 5p for nightmare mods and 10p for corrupted/rare drop mods. And for some people who only gets plat through trading (like me), it means that it will be slightly harder to get plat.

Over time the price drops because the supply increases or the mod's usefulness drops.  Why should Rhino Prime chassis sell for the same price now as it did 6 months ago?

There's the real reason and I applaud you for being about the only honest person arguing to keep the prices high.  You don't want to buy plat so you want the prices as high as possible.  I don't agree with that, but you're honest and upfront.