Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Does Viral Proc?

Arehk

Question

Does this status effect proc before actual damage proc? I.e. If I put this on a sniper rifle would the bullet have to shoot through their whole health and then after it would proc viral, or will it proc viral to begin with and the bullet damages their halved health after that proc?

~

19 answers to this question

Did some testing because the stuff DoG was saying sounded made up on the spot.

Damage is applied AFTER the Viral proc. If you shoot once, the enemy health will be halved and THEN damage is applied. This is good news for snipers/semi-autos.

SS's:

Before:

2014-09-17_00001.jpg

After a Single Viral Shot:

2014-09-17_00002.jpg

(yeah I missed 3 times, stupid railing)

Viral reduces a target's maximum health to 50% for 6 seconds and does not stack after Update 12.

The current health will be reduced if higher than 50% of maximum health and will not be returned after effect wears off.

Example:

Target's original health: 800/1000

Health with Viral status: 500/500

Health after Viral status: 500/1000

An additional proc while a viral status effect is active will refresh the effect's duration time.

/thread

No, that doesn't answer the guy's question. Which happens first, weapon damage or the proc?

In that case.

1000/1000hp 0 armor

braton with 25 damage 100% proc

grenier takes 25 damage and immediately gets viral status so

500/500

each bullet after that will do 25 damage

you can't proc without "hitting" something just think about procing anything else. the popup damage counters say "25 (elemental damage)" I hope you understand me now, at least that is how i look at it

Edited by .DoG.

Oh, so the bullet damage is replaced by the proc effect. Seems like that should skew the DPS stats people love to argue over so much.

I don't know what you are talking about dps stats but the bullet damage isnt replaced by proc. The proc adds to bullet damage, it is just that viral is strange.

We could test my theory. Find something with enough hp to be halved and at the same time have the bullet exceed the 50% threshold and you should be left with something like

475/500 on that first proc bullet

(if the braton did 525 damage per bullet @ 100% proc)

but then again it is just what I think happens. I might be totally wrong. I'd pm some of the devs if you really want to know how it works

Edited by .DoG.

Oh, you're mixing bullet damage and proc damage. The bullet doesn't do 500 damage, that's just the proc reducing the enemy's max health, the bullet does separate damage.

If it's true that the enemy ends up with 475/500 when hit, then proc happens first, then the bullet damage kicks in.

So if a Viral bullet does 100 damage to an enemy with 150 HP:

•If the proc happens first, the enemy dies. (75 Health - 100 Damage means it dies)

•If the proc happens second, the enemy doesn't die. (150 Health - 100 Damage leaves 50, then that's halved to 25 Health)

=================

You said:

"grenier takes 25 damage and immediately gets viral status so

500/500"

So it's like you were saying the bullet does no damage, only the proc happens, which would skew DPS results. Not that I care, but it'd be funny to see a S#&$storm start over that lol

Edited by DarkTails

I don't know what you are talking about dps stats but the bullet damage isnt replaced by proc. The proc adds to bullet damage, it is just that viral is strange.

We could test my theory. Find something with enough hp to be halved and at the same time have the bullet exceed the 50% threshold and you should be left with something like

475/500 on that first proc bullet

(if the braton did 525 damage per bullet @ 100% proc)

but then again it is just what I think happens. I might be totally wrong. I'd pm some of the devs if you really want to know how it works

Been testing things out myself, from my own obeservations I am willing to say you are incorrect, status effect happens first, the HP is halved and then damage is applied.

~

Did some testing because the stuff DoG was saying sounded made up on the spot.

Damage is applied AFTER the Viral proc. If you shoot once, the enemy health will be halved and THEN damage is applied. This is good news for snipers/semi-autos.

SS's:

Before:

2014-09-17_00001.jpg

After a Single Viral Shot:

2014-09-17_00002.jpg

(yeah I missed 3 times, stupid railing)

I had someone tell me this and it really seems that way in my gameplay experience.

Edited by Arehk