Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Some Idea On Upgrading Soma.

OHyeahWF

Question

Soma have high critical chance and high critical damage, i am wonder that 

- is it good idea to install multiple element mod?

- Is it good idea to install only Critical chance and critical damage relate mod ? (eg. Point Strike and Vital Sense)

* I used 2 slot for Ammo drum and Shred

Feel free to share your idea, or is there any thread that already discuss about Soma, I would like to have the link.

Edited by OHyeahWF

17 answers to this question

Serration and Split Chamber is mandatory on every rifle build.

That leaves us 6 slots left.

Soma is crit-oriented, so two more mods, Point Strike and Vital Sense are essential.

For the remaining 4 slots, 3 elements + Bane mod/Heavy caliber is the way to go.

Ammo drum and Shred are not very good on the Soma. Ammo drum is next to worthless, and Soma already possesses a high fire rate. Adding Shred will only make it less ammo efficient, as you might spam unnecessarily. These two mods slots are much better with damage mods.

Edited by X3Evanescence

Serration and Split Chamber is mandatory on every rifle build.

That leaves us 6 slots left.

Soma is crit-oriented, so two more mods, Point Strike and Vital Sense are essential.

For the remaining 4 slots, 3 elements + Bane mod/Heavy caliber is the way to go.

Ammo drum and Shred are not very good on the Soma. Ammo drum is next to worthless, and Soma already possesses a high fire rate. Adding Shred will only make it less ammo efficient, as you might spam unnecessarily. These two mods slots are much better with damage mods.

thank you ... ALL !

Edited by 7ENN0

While ^ is correct, I use Shred in place of a Bane mod, can't live without punchtrough!

Yup. Shred is not an essential mod, but the utility it provides is nice. It is optional and up to player preference. If you don't mind doing just a little bit less damage per shot in exchange for some utility, then go for it.

Punch Through is pretty good as it allowed me to shoot through doors and shield lancer's shields.

Edited by X3Evanescence

There are two basic ways to build this (these are both maximized damage per bullet builds):

Serration + Split Chamber + Vital Sense + Point Strike + Hammer Shot + 3 Element Cards

or

Serration + Split Chamber + Heavy Caliber + Vital Sense + Point Strike + Hammer Shot + 2 Element Cards

The best choice for you depends entirely on whether or not you want to be exclusively focusing on headshots. If you only perform headshots, then the first proposed build will give you far more damage. However - assuming headshots aren't your thing - the second build will give you far more damage for body shots in general, and will still be largely accurate at a distance. As for which elemental cards to use, the faction you're fighting should determine this. Just make sure that your polarities are placed in order to allow flexibility where all possible elemental combinations can fit. Suggested polarity arrangements will follow (just remember that existing polarities can be freely moved around once you Forma a weapon once):

BUILD 1:

VVVV

XX-X

BUILD 2:

VVVV

VX-X

Assume the X's represent a slot with not polarity.

Edited by Clovis15

There are two basic ways to build this (these are both maximized damage per bullet builds):

Serration + Split Chamber + Vital Sense + Point Strike + Hammer Shot + 3 Element Cards

or

Serration + Split Chamber + Heavy Caliber + Vital Sense + Point Strike + Hammer Shot + 2 Element Cards

The best choice for you depends entirely on whether or not you want to be exclusively focusing on headshots. If you only perform headshots, then the first proposed build will give you far more damage. However - assuming headshots aren't your thing - the second build will give you far more damage for body shots in general, and will still be largely accurate at a distance. As for which elemental cards to use, the faction you're fighting should determine this. Just make sure that your polarities are placed in order to allow flexibility where all possible elemental combinations can fit. Suggested polarity arrangements will follow (just remember that existing polarities can be freely moved around once you Forma a weapon once):

BUILD 1:

VVVV

XX-X

BUILD 2:

VVVV

VX-X

Assume the X's represent a slot with not polarity.

I have always found Hammer Shot's viability on Soma questionable. Soma has a measly 7% Status Chance that isn't worth increasing, but its critical multiplier is 300%, which is very high. But in place of a bane mod/elemental mod, does Hammer shot really have an advantage in DPS?

Some numbers would be nice. I do use Hammer Shot sometimes, but I somehow felt it was... Lacking.

On the following proposed build:

Serration + Split + Heavy + Point + Vital + Hammer + Infected + Storm + Malignant

I got 9660 Theoretical DPS per Grineer, and 7928 versus the Void

Serration + Split + Heavy + Point + Vital + Bane + Infected + Storm + Malignant

I got 9970 versus the Grinner, yet only 6294 versus the Void (It's key to remember that faction cards do nothing in the Void at all)

Odds are you wouldn't really notice a difference at all between the two on a normal planet stage - with a difference of only 310 per second - but you would however notice a massive difference when in the void, where using Bane would cause you to lose 1634 per second.

It does depend entirely on how often you want to fiddle with your cards, but I would say that every ounce of damage matters more in the void - period - than on a star chart level.

Heavy Caliber is weird in that its proposed accuracy penalty doesn't affect all weapons in the same way (some get less than it claims, others get more).

Anyways - as I suggested earlier - you won't really notice the penalty all that much if you're focusing on body shots, but you certainly will if you intend to be headshot focused instead.

Correct, Bane Mods only affect star-chart enemies. The enemies in the void are all considered to be of the corrupted faction - rather than their original faction - and there currently exists no such thing as a Bane of Corrupted card, even if I would dearly love to own such a thing.

One last thing to think about:

A Bane card - when used instead of an elemental card - can actually decrease your DPS if you have less than three elemental cards remaining afterwards, so hold off on Bane for any build where using it would require you to have two or less elemental cards in the process.