The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Texture Streaming Incredibly Annoying

nu1mlock

Hello!

When browsing the codex entries for e.g. Warframes and enemies, or opening navigation, I get extreme texture streaming where textures start out low quality and then, over the next four seconds, slowly turn into high textures.

I know Borderlands 2 had an option to disable this exact thing. I "need" it removed or being able to disable it since it is extremely annoying.

I've got all graphical settings set to max and running at 2650x1440.

Here's a video showing the issue in action. Take extra note of Vauban where it is very noticeable even at 360p. Keep in mind that the quality is lower than in-game due to recording software: 

There has to be a way to fix this. Thanks!

Edit: I've uploaded a short video showing navigation. Take extra note of Earth. 

I've also timed how long it takes to load a solo mission and it takes between 1 and 4 seconds from the moment the loading screen shows up. The video is currently uploading but can be found here when done processing: 

Texture streaming is still apparent, take note of the floor before the Warframe jumps in.

Edited by nu1mlock

Texture loading speeds tend to be directly affected by your RAM and GPU VRAM. If they're streaming in slowly then it's likely that fully preloading them into your GPU's VRAM would cause stutters, lockups and/or very long load times.

What sort of RAM and GPU are you running?

Hello!

Loading levels or anything else is just fine (I assume). I don't know how long it "should" take but going by the loading bar, I'm usually loading in first or second.

I'm using an i5 3550 @ 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9) and an Asus R9 290 OC DirectCU II (4GB). 

Edited by nu1mlock

For me it's a little problem, because i have not so good PC, in solo game still fine, but with 3 random ppl(+if i'm host) my fps around 10 almost all time, especially on def missions, it's rly bad.

proc. amd 5000+, and Nvidia 250gts 1Gb vram, (yeah not so good, but better then nothing)

Main problem is, that my options almost all of them on low, but still game showing textures, geometry etc in high quality, seems like this options not working...and all time trying to load in high quality, but when fps is dropping - the graphic is going down, funny :D

I hope you will understand what i wrote here)

Why is this a problem? I have this to on my PC just not as bad as yours.

I actually prefer this loading style as it keeps the load times down and allows me to play sooner, 4 seconds isn't going to ruin your experience.

It's a problem because it looks bad and is annoying. If you're fine with it, good for you, but I'm not.

Loading the full textures wouldn't increase loading times for me, the ONLY thing it would do is make it look good all the time instead of having to wait for it. Borderlands 2 had the same thing but they offered an option to disable it and load high-quality textures instantly for those with computers able to handle it.

With an R9 290 there's absolutely no need for texture streaming taking 4 seconds, which is why an option to disable it is necessary.

Edit: I've added a new video showing how it looks during navigation: 

It happens every time after a mission which is very annoying.

I've also timed how long it takes to load into a solo mission and it takes between 1 and 4 seconds from the moment the ship loading screen shows up.

This is being added to my first post for clarity.

Edited by nu1mlock

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is an old thread, but has anyone from DE actually addressed this?  The texture streaming from terrible-quality to high-res is really annoying and takes away from the immersion of the game.  Is WF really not able to pre-cache textures to the GPU memories of those of us with several GB of that RAM?