Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear Moderators, Can You Please Notify Us When Our Posts Get Hidden?

Guest Tehnoobshow

Guest Tehnoobshow

Since Derpo's thread got locked before I got around to making a post, I figured I would make a new thread about this. Not to question your collective judgement or anything, but it's really confusing when our threads and posts get deleted without any notice, and leads to distrust of the moderators (and wasted time searching through several pages of old posts to see if our topic somehow got buried within 5 minutes) If you have a reason for hiding the post that isn't Warning Point worthy, it would still be nice to get a notification for when it happens. How else can we improve our behaviour if we don't even know what we did wrong in the first place? It doesn't have to be specific like Warning Points, just a default, automated notification would do. If the feature isn't already there, then please ask the Community Managers to add it. Thanks.

What exactly do you distrust about it.

It's just... 

*spends 5 minutes writing constructive feedback*

*looks away to cook ramen*

*looks back at thread*

"wtf? where did it...? Hmm, did it get moved?"

*searches for 10 minutes*

"No... /sigh... guess it got deleted."

*shrugs and moves on with life*

Edit: You never know why it dissapearred, you don't know who to ask, you don't know how to ask whoever you don't know how to ask... it's just really REALLY shady.

Edited by Auramau

Think of this from the other side. That moderator would be spending all night arguing in PM's if they sent a message to every person where they moved a thread or cleaned a post.

I'm fine with them making one post in the thread like "moved to proper section" or "cleaned, stay on topic" etc.

Since Derpo's thread got locked before I got around to making a post, I figured I would make a new thread about this. Not to question your collective judgement or anything, but it's really confusing when our threads and posts get deleted without any notice, and leads to distrust of the moderators (and wasted time searching through several pages of old posts to see if our topic somehow got buried within 5 minutes) If you have a reason for hiding the post that isn't Warning Point worthy, it would still be nice to get a notification for when it happens. How else can we improve our behaviour if we don't even know what we did wrong in the first place? It doesn't have to be specific like Warning Points, just a default, automated notification would do. If the feature isn't already there, then please ask the Community Managers to add it. Thanks.

+11111

Guest Tehnoobshow

Think of this from the other side. That moderator would be spending all night arguing in PM's if they sent a message to every person where they moved a thread or cleaned a post.

I'm fine with them making one post in the thread like "moved to proper section" or "cleaned, stay on topic" etc.

I said automated system. There must be some kind of transfer of information to the Forums server whenever they hide a post, that same action could easily have an automated notification attached to it.

Edited by Tehnoobshow

I said automated system. There must be some kind of transfer of information to the Forums server whenever they hide a post, that same action could easily have an automated notification attached to it.

That was my immediate thought as well.

Whenever a remove/move command goes through, an automated, "no reply" message is sent to the user who posted or started that thread.

I have discussed systems that would do this for us amongst the moderators. For the most part, we'd have to send a PM for this notification. We have limited PMs and we have our inboxes full very often. This would mean a single thread may require 20 some odd PM's just to say "Your post was removed because X" which is simply a very dasterdly use of our inbox.

I'm frustrated by this aswell. I have asked the forum admins for things like an expanded inbox, or a auto-notification system which would use resources already available to the website (just the question of making it work), or some sort of messenger seperate from Warnings.

So far, I've had little luck, but I do intend to bug them now and again.

Which translates to a million PM's asking WHY U DO DIS instead of reading their post in the thread.

As far as i know IP boards(which this forum runs on) doesn't have an automatic notification system when you have been moderated. You should normally be able to guess why your post was hidden but i do understand why it can cause confusion at times. If you find yourself wondering about why something was hidden or find yourself confused then just simply pm a mod and ask, anyone of us can point you in the right direction. 

Sometimes the choice is to simply hide and not give a warning or hide and give one, you can get a notification that way but i doubt its what you want and isnt warranted in all cases.

Guest Tehnoobshow

I have discussed systems that would do this for us amongst the moderators. For the most part, we'd have to send a PM for this notification. We have limited PMs and we have our inboxes full very often. This would mean a single thread may require 20 some odd PM's just to say "Your post was removed because X" which is simply a very dasterdly use of our inbox.

I'm frustrated by this aswell. I have asked the forum admins for things like an expanded inbox, or a auto-notification system which would use resources already available to the website (just the question of making it work), or some sort of messenger seperate from Warnings.

So far, I've had little luck, but I do intend to bug them now and again.

Thank you. What about adding it onto the Warning Point system, or creating something similar though? As far as I know, Warning Point notifications don't go into your inbox.

Which translates to a million PM's asking WHY U DO DIS instead of reading their post in the thread.

What about hidden threads?

Thank you. What about adding it onto the Warning Point system, or creating something similar though? As far as I know, Warning Point notifications don't go into your inbox.

I do not know what applications the site uses and their parameters, but I am aware that adding it as a 0 point warning would be a clutter, unless there was the ability to add separate tabs.

Guest Tehnoobshow

I do not know what applications the site uses and their parameters, but I am aware that adding it as a 0 point warning would be a clutter, unless there was the ability to add separate tabs.

Ah, well I guess we'll just have to wait and see if DE does something about it then.

What is the real problem is people making a second thread that is a copy of the first only to have that taken down and doing it over and over 

If there is a double post of a thread, it is often a glitch in the forum. If they make more threads after more than 2 (rarely 3), and/or they are in different sections, it's probably spam.

Ah, well I guess we'll just have to wait and see if DE does something about it then.

This topic has made me want to bring up this issue again. So there's that.

DEZwhak has added some new forum features (alerts, auto merge posts), but unfortunately there were no moderator goodies to be had.

If there is a double post of a thread, it is often a glitch in the forum. If they make more threads after more than 2 (rarely 3), and/or they are in different sections, it's probably spam.

I think they were reffering to people who get their thread hid and then turn around making the same thread again, I could be wrong

yeah I can see why it's hard for you guys to not send PMs to everyone but maybe you are being too overzealous with your hiding. there was a thread that show'd up recently with the op post talking abotu how cool the clan trophies are from the last event. someone took that photo drew in some triangles and reposted it (to be silly, to show Illuminati) and so the I explained that it was the Illuminati and posted a link to the wiki page. I would really like to know how this goes against for rules or is bad behavior. all we did was make a joke and it got hid. yeah it's a dumb joke but maybe it wasn't really worth the effort? (fyi we didn't get warning points for it, just wanted to make it clear.)

yeah I can see why it's hard for you guys to not send PMs to everyone but maybe you are being too overzealous with your hiding. there was a thread that show'd up recently with the op post talking abotu how cool the clan trophies are from the last event. someone took that photo drew in some triangles and reposted it (to be silly, to show Illuminati) and so the I explained that it was the Illuminati and posted a link to the wiki page. I would really like to know how this goes against for rules or is bad behavior. all we did was make a joke and it got hid. yeah it's a dumb joke but maybe it wasn't really worth the effort? (fyi we didn't get warning points for it, just wanted to make it clear.)

You should definitely slide one of us a pm then if you want to know more.

It's because (I'm assuming as I hadn't done that) of how those type of replies completely derail a thread. Hiding derailing to preserve the thread itself goes above letting others have their own laugh.

Respectfully, I submit that "moderating" entails much more than simple policing and arbitration ... it includes guidance

Guidance is more than education as it is intended to alter behavior not just inform 

Consequently communication is the cornerstone of moderating

This requires clear explanations based upon forum rules of etiquette and behavior

To censure threads without articulated justification provides little in the way of guidance

To censure threads that violate forum guidelines without an attempt to steer the tenor or verbiage invites repetitive behavior 

To fall back on technical limitations such as finite number of moderators, lack of time zone coverage or insufficient server storage dedicated to moderator communication do not constitute logically defensible reasons to take action with out notification

It should be entirely understandable that the gaming community expects the highest level of transparency and accountability in gaming forums as with any other informational medium

Edit:  potentially derailing remark self deleted

Edited by ElHefe