Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Polemosomology: The Study Of Warframe

(PSN)NearlyDedicated

A couple of possible theories about the Void:

1. Some sort of slipspace. It's where neutrinos go at the end of their life; it's a whole universe beneath the "brane" of real space.

2. In parallel universes, it might be possible that the laws of physics themselves would turn out different: for example, gravity might not exist, along with the Higgs Boson, and so no massive objects would ever exist. The Void might be one of these universes, wherein there's nothing but pure energy and the vacuum.

I have no ideas otherwise. But hey, we can dig into quantum physics on Wikipedia for fun, and now we have an excuse!!!

I much like the website, Congratulations on getting it set up!

Here is hoping we can get a stickied thread... or maybe a "Lore" section for the forums.

I'd love to attact more players to this... as with Steve's proposed quest model, players may indeed be writting parts of the lore with quests

I much like the website, Congratulations on getting it set up!

Here is hoping we can get a stickied thread... or maybe a "Lore" section for the forums.

I'd love to attact more players to this... as with Steve's proposed quest model, players may indeed be writting parts of the lore with quests

Thanks! Yeah, I hope this gets stickied too - or something similar. In a few days we'll start a study on the Technocyte virus, which is a hot topic on the forums - perhaps that will gain this thread some extra notoriety. 

Oh, and by the way (in regards to Steve)

https://twitter.com/NearlyDedicated/status/461905588075503616

Uh, guys...I saw some writing on Ash's helmet a long time ago, but couldn't find a translation of the Tenno language...until now.

Here are two pictures that show the two strings of writing.

This picture focuses on the words on the neck...

tGo2KjG.jpg

While this one focuses on the helmet...

q80gYlJ.jpg

Couldn't translate it myself, too hard to differentiate some of the symbols.

Edited by Stefanovich

Heyo! I tried going through the orokin text and translating it myself and I think I found a few things to add to the key:

- The character for "S" doesn't have a notch through it

- There's a character that looks like the "S" character but with a notch through it. Interestingly, it only shows up in the words information and evolution and is where the "sh" sound is - I believe it's actually more than just an "S" and is a character for the "SH" digraph

- There seem to be separate letters for C and K, basically there's one character that has a notch and one that doesn't. The one without a notch shows up in "Corpus", "Obstacle", "oracle" and "reactor" so I'm calling it a "C". The one with a dash shows up in "barracks" so I'm calling it a "K" . . . otherwise they're pretty much used the same way. 

- The upside down U is also distinct in two places, again "information" and "evolution" and appears to be the diphthong "IO" in both words, and not just another way of writing "i"

Anyhoo, here's a chart of how I figure it works"

oqlhrc.png

Also, I really still can't figure out the rules for using the little dash that's representing "y" right now. Most of the time I think it's kind of a schwa, but sometimes it seems to be a "w" or a "y" indeed. Anyway, I know I'm nitpickin' at details, but it really piqued my interest after finding that they actually had a special character just for "sh". Made me wanna explore more!

Edited by Dr_JiaJohn

I think, at the root of my fascination with tenno culture, is the desire to know if the only thing Tenno KNOW.... is just an eternity of war

I would like there to be Tenno philosophers, artist, Weaponsmiths, artificers, pilots, engineers... something more than JUST warriors. Much like the Samurai of old, they would have some other pursuit, to balance out their lives (most Samurai where carpenters, poets, writers, fathers, philosophers).

Are Tenno ONLY weapons?

I think I'll chip in here.

Firstly, Tenno culture probably defies a lot of what we may take for granted. The Tenno themselves, their physical form, may not necessarily be static, considering Warframes are a) mass produced and b) they can wear any of them. That's a possible starting point for why...balance is so important to them, so far as Lotus states.

And I'll actually give you something on the Lotus, as a symbol in our own cultures, in hopes of helping. You see, in many cultures, the Lotus is a symbol of beauty and spiritual purity, in contrast to the mud from whence it grew. In context, then, the fact the Tenno adhere to the word of the Lotus, implies that...whatever may be asked, it is for an end greater than the suggested whole. 

One who performs his duty without attachment, surrendering the results unto the Supreme Lord, is unaffected by sinful action, as the lotus is untouched by the water.

Bhagavad Gita 5.10

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelumbo_nucifera - Cultural Significance.

Further, Tenno scientists can arguably be considered confirmed; the orginal Tenno Clans are where we derive the names of mod polarities from. Seeing as there are 7 Polarities, we can surmise that these 7 clans were truly exceptional at what they did in those fields of expertise. Considering the plethora of mods, and the sheer utility there of in all technology the Tenno use, and potentially the Grineer and Corpus? They did incredible work.

In as much as the Dojo architecture goes...Tenno certainly have aesthetic tastes, being a humble mirror to the Orokin Void's resplendence. Ergo, Tenno have a cultural place for similar style...but either lack the Forma, or don't waste more than the necessary amount to construct the rooms and such. This implies a manner of frugality; be it military 'we're broke' or ascetic 'we don't need glitz' is up for debate.

Moving onto the philosophers part...I cannot say, but I would suspect that it's incredibly likely. The tutorial does have the Lotus mentioning how Tenno respect their foes, but offer no mercy; a combat philosophy, admittedly, but one all the same. Adding in the Observatory does add a lot of potential for their cultural 'let us discuss the deep thoughts' in a nice space at least.

The end of the day...we need more information, admittedly, to detail the Tenno Culture. However, it is simply a matter of inferring to the best explanation with what we have for now, drawing on what sources we have to provide a plausible context.

Heyo! I tried going through the orokin text and translating it myself and I think I found a few things to add to the key:

- There's a character that looks like the "S" character but with a notch through it. Interestingly, it only shows up in the words information and evolution and is where the "sh" sound is - I believe it's actually more than just an "S" and is a character for the "SH" digraph

- There seem to be separate letters for C and K, basically there's one character that has a notch and one that doesn't. The one without a notch shows up in "Corpus", "Obstacle", "oracle" and "reactor" so I'm calling it a "C". The one with a dash shows up in "barracks" so I'm calling it a "K" . . . otherwise they're pretty much used the same way. 

- The upside down U is also distinct in two places, again "information" and "evolution" and appears to be the diphthong "IO" in both words, and not just another way of writing "i"

oqlhrc.png

Also, I really still can't figure out the rules for using the little dash that's representing "y" right now. Most of the time I think it's kind of a schwa, but sometimes it seems to be a "w" or a "y" indeed. Anyway, I know I'm nitpickin' at details, but it really piqued my interest after finding that they actually had a special character just for "sh". Made me wanna explore more!

Will update language threads with this key tonight; I can verify it works better than the current one.

Nice one, Dr_JiaJohn!

oqlhrc.png

I'm noticing different colors in these symbols, does that mean anything or is that just how they were rendered for you?

I'm noticing different colors in these symbols, does that mean anything or is that just how they were rendered for you?

So to be as true to the original as possible, I basically just took the characters from screenshots in the dojos; the darker blue ones are on doors and the lighter colored white-ish ones are from console panels. There shouldn't be any difference in meaning, I simply lack the skills to pay the bills (or change character colors, for that matter!)