Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban Revamps Suggestions (Tesla, Bounce, Bastille And Direct Hits).

LascarCapable

As I said in my thread about the Bastille rework suggestion, I post here a new thread about a whole Vauban rework suggestion.

Wait a bit before leaving a no ! Actually, the reason about why I would like to suggest a rework is not because Vauban is bad : Bastille and Vortex are easly the two best CC abilities in the game IMO. No, it's just because I think that Vauban could be way more fun than he actually is. When I play Vauban, I usually have a blast (as long as I don't play infested defense at least : it's the only thing where I end kinda bored), but I can't stop thinking that something lacks : it would have been good that some ideas would be pushed farther (Tesla, Bounce, throwing mechanics), and his two CC skills have a lot of things in common, at the point that some players may use one over the other (it's debatable though, especially with U15 removing all abilities from the drop tables).

What I want to achieve here is to turn Vauban into an even more fun Warframe to play.

1) Tesla :

A lot of people are agreeing here : it would be better if Tesla had more proc chances. I would also add that the way Tesla works is actually disappointing to me. When I aquired Vauban for the first time, I hoped about tesla being an harassing tool, constantly damaging ennemies. Instead of that, we have a trap lasting 40 seconds (fixed value) with a number of charges of 10 that is affected by power duration. So Tesla is more acting as a burst, and without power efficiency it ONLY deals 150 damage each 4 seconds (considered that you stuck a tesla on a baddy). I've seen better kind of DoT in that game... That way to work seems a bit awkward, and is counter productive with efficiency builds that would promote strong Tesla trapping as a way to play.

What I would suggest :

- Tesla now deals constant damage to the first target that reaches it's range (no more electric bursts then, it acts more like nervos mines).

- The number of charges is replaced by a duration : this means that your Tesla would be able to zap ennemies for 10 seconds without mods and at max rank, affected by power duration.

- Buffed proc chances, proc chances following the proc/second rule of constant firing weapon. I would personally suggest 40% proc chances per second.

- Eventually, reduced damage, since Tesla would be able to deal its whole damage capacity faster : 1500 damage on a 1st skill seems a bit too much for me, even if it's in a 10 seconds DoT. Still affected by power strenght.

Of course, the duration of the trap itself WILL NOT CHANGE. Telsa will still last 40 seconds, that lifetime being unaffected by duration mods.

2) Bounce :

(first thread available here : https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/257101-vauban-bounce-rework-suggestion/ )

Bounce is frustrating to me (and I may not be the only one) : it had the whole potential of being a real landmine. but at the end, it's really limited and not as satisfying than a good old obex slide kick in the face. Bounce really could use an AoE effect when an enemy trigger it. One of you (more execatly Bobtm0) also suggested Bounce to be able to change it's element like Tornado does, which would also be a really cool idea to exploit, since a Magnetic Proc is not useful everywhere.

What I would suggest :

- When triggered by an enemy, bounce explodes and launch all enemies in a 5 meters radius (affected or not by power range. Can't decide myself here). The launch will now also ragdoll ennemies as well (it's funnier like that).

- When triggered by an enemy, all bounce charges are consumed, and damages are dealt : 150 damages for each charges comsumed like this.

- Raised vertical hitbox for enemies, in order to allow more creative trapping.

- Eventually, applying Bobtm0's idea :

I haven't used bounce on an enemy in a long time though, does it still have a moderately high probability of doing a magnetic proc?  If so, I almost have an odd thought regarding that.  We can already change the elemental property of Zephyr's Tornado skill by shooting it with whichever element, so I'm thinking let's have something of this sort work with the modified landmine bounce.  A chance to get a proc of your choosing would tend to fit into his tactician role with the setting of traps.

3) Bastille :

(first thread available here : https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/257101-vauban-bastille-rework-suggestion/ )

A much more debatable suggestion here.

I think you all understood what's the point of using Bastille : basically the same than Vortex, crowd control. However, Bastille is just CC skill with a better range than Vortex after all. While Vortex has less range but cumulates some good additions like attracting all enemies at the center of the trap, having no enemy limit or just Vortexboosting. I think it's a shame somewhere that Bastille is just kinda a "better ranged Vortex". Both fills the same role, and I think (and some of you will throw rocks at me for saying that) that a rework may be a cool idea. Especially since there's an aspect of trapping that we haven't explored before : debuffs.

Actually, the only trap that we may consider as a debuff trap is Bounce, but Bounce is, well, Bounce... You will hardly catch more than one ennemy in the single trap, and the only debuff applied is a shield stripping. Not very useful against something other than copus. What I would propose here, is to turn Bastille into a real debuff trap. Let's say, something that would debuff ennemy firepower AND enemy damage resistance by 50%. Everything without a max limit of ennemies. We could also add a little stun effect when Bastille is deploying. I think that this may be a good idea, and may synergies well with other Vauban's abilities like Tesla (better Tesla damage) or Vortex (easier to clean up a Vortex).

However, some of you also raised excellent points :

I'll have to disagree. Sure Bastille and Vortex are both used to stall enemies at close range, the way they do it is what sets them apart enough in my opinion to justify having them both present in his kit. 

Vortex has no target cap. Toss it into a huge crowd for a highly effective means to concentrate all your fire-power into one ammo/time saving focus point, or quickly heal from using a channeling melee finisher to cleave through an entire horde in one downward stab. 

Bastille completely immobilizes the enemy while still leaving them prone for precision aiming that you simply cannot do with Vortex, especially from mid-range, when it's the headshots that count the most against meatier targets, whereas Vortex groups everything into a seething, flailing mass where you cannot take advantage of weak spots and on the flipside, watch your rounds impact with far less effectiveness into the ball of fused flesh.

Debuffs are nice and all, but they don't (to me) fit Vauban's key roll, which is immobilizing the enemy in several unique ways. 

I'd also like to point out that if you pack your bounces one next to the other, multiple enemies can trigger the bounce provided they're near enough. I've launched two to three close knit heavy enemies with just a single throw, saving our Mag from getting a face full of Supra. 

Not to mention the fantastic mobility Bounce brings.

TL;DR, I hate to be that guy, but Vauban is fine. All he needs is a buff to how often Tesla Grenades cause the electric proc for more consistent CC.

This is more likely making my Bastille Rework idea way less attractive. I'm still for a change, but Bastille being kept as it seems does not seems like a bad idea after all.

4) Direct hits :

Vauban's traps take the shape of a small ball that you can throw in unsuspected places, including enemies and also allies. I think we all had a good laugh when we managed to stick a Tesla on a Grineer's face or made our Loki buddy rushing through a mob of ennemies wish Teslas stuck on his back. However, direct hits could really used to be more rewarding, promoting a fun and skillful play. I don't really know how it should be implemented though. While the benefit of sticking a Tesla or a Bounce directly on an enemy is evident (even if it could use a bonus on the case of Bounce), it's hard to describe how direct hits with Bastille or Vortex balls could give something more. What would you get by directly hitting and enemy with a Bastille or a Vortex ? 15 blast damage... That's your reward for a skillful throw. Well, something could really use some work here. Implementing a direct hit mechanic wouldn't ve that hard IMO and could also encourage players for a more skilled play. After all, Ember's fireball is already rewarding direct hits (100% proc chances and full damage).

That's all that I am able to think about for now. I may update the thread sooner or later if I have some new ideas.

Thanks for reading, and don't hesitate to comment the changes. I'm always pleased to read some feedback.

I like thew idea of a rework on how direct hits are treated.

Imagine sticking a vortex grenade on an enemy that does not get sucked into it, instead the vortex forms around it but becomes the heart of the vortex.

Its confused, start moving towards the nearest enemy not in the vortex.

When/if that next enemy gets sucked into the vortex our wandering maelstrom goes towards the next one.

A nice reward for sticking it to them, bad pun intended.

Edited by Keiiken

I like thew idea of a rework on how direct hits are treated.

Imagine sticking a vortex grenade on an enemy that does not get sucked into it, instead the vortex forms around it but becomes the heart of the vortex.

Its confused, start moving towards the nearest enemy not in the vortex.

When/if that next enemy gets sucked into the vortex our wandering maelstrom goes towards the next one.

A nice reward for sticking it to them, bad pun intended.

I'd more though about something a bit more simplier, like (in the case of Vortex) a radial emission on deployment that attracts distant ennemies in Vortex's range. But that's not a bad idea.

I'd more though about something a bit more simplier, like (in the case of Vortex) a radial emission on deployment that attracts distant ennemies in Vortex's range. But that's not a bad idea.

I had thought of something like your idea but the game doesnt have a way of attracting enemies with ranged attack much to the dismay of my djinn sentinel. Thats why I started thinking how about making the vortex act like a slow moving torpedo.

I had thought of something like your idea but the game doesnt have a way of attracting enemies with ranged attack much to the dismay of my djinn sentinel. Thats why I started thinking how about making the vortex act like a slow moving torpedo.

An attraction effect is not that hard to do IMO. Mag is/was able to do that, Vortex does more or less the same effect... It's just a question of vectors.