Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

With The Elimination Of Ability Mods...

APBladeX

Introduction

First, I must give credit where credit is due.

TheGreatZamboni's complete rework of the mod system: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/137875-a-complete-rework-of-the-foundation-of-warframe/

That topic is locked, therefore I could not post in that thread.

Why not eliminate all of the mods? I know this is a sensitive topic, but in light of the upcoming changes, I felt I should bring the discussion back up. 

Ever since the Mods system was introduced, it brought escalated RNG, grinding, and power imbalances. Seeing as how mods are a core component of Warframe, it would be very difficult to make the changes necessary to effectively remove them from the game.

Remember, Warframe is an Open Beta. Things can always change, and players must acknowledge this. This is why I think these changes are available for consideration.

Reasoning

Mods have been a core issue, even more so with the recent visual overhaul in the new UI. This has introduced problems for people who are colorblind, but it also creates problems for players who aren't colorblind. 

The Bronze, Silver, and Gold coloring and shading of mods can confuse players and eliminates the instant recognition of whether a mod is an ability, precept, common, uncommon, rare, or legendary. 

Mod drops have created an imbalance of power due to RNG and drop locations. This has somewhat been fixed with Broken mods, but they are severely reduced in value and effectiveness from their regular counterparts, which continues to be the problem. 

Lack of build diversity. Players can not effectively survive the missions of the star chart without these 'staple' mods, which take up space and severely limit a player's ability to customize their loadouts. 

Beginning Concept

Mods would be replaced with new skill trees that would be more effective than our old skill tree system that was removed. These would function as attachments, upgrades, and modifications. With Warframe's increasing difficulty (more challenging enemies, imminent buffs/nerfs, dynamic boss fights), there wouldn't be an imbalance of power between players and enemies, or each other. Players would be able to build the ultimate loadout as they progress in Mastery and the upcoming Focus system. This new system would allow them to diversify their loadouts for different purposes, giving more reasons for team gameplay or solo gameplay depending on playstyle or certain situations. This would also eliminate the bandaid mods, useless mods, and drop table dilution.

There would be various sections each customizable to the player's desire:

Warframes

Powers (abilities, energy, aura)

Movement (stamina, speed, dodging, climbing, running)

Systems (health, shields, regeneration, resistances, armor)

Attachments (syandana, helmet, event badges, emblems, sigils, armor cosmetics, skins, colors)

Sentinels

Powers (precepts, energy)

Attachments (wings, helmet, tail, event badges, emblems, sigils, skins, colors)

Kubrows

Powers (abilities, energy)

Movement (stamina, speed, dodging, climbing, running)

Attachments (pelt and fur / colors, pattern, event badges, emblems, sigils, armor cosmetics)

Primary

Rifles and Shotguns

Core (damage, physical, elemental)

Barrel (multishot, fire rate, punch through)

Magazine (reload speed, magazine size)

Underbarrel (accuracy, recoil)

Ammunition (max ammo, ammo type, ammo conversion/mutation)

Muzzle (noise)

Attachments (skins, crosshair, colors)

Bows

Arrows (damage, physical, elemental, punch through)

Handle (accuracy, flight trajectory)

Limbs (reload speed, max ammo, ammo type, ammo conversion/mutation)

String (flight speed, fire rate, multishot, drawback speed)

Snipers

Scope (accuracy, AMD crosshair)

Barrel (multishot, fire rate, punch through)

Underbarrel (recoil)

Muzzle (noise)

Launchers (grenade, rocket, projectile)

Chamber (blast radius/area of effect, multishot, charge speed, fire rate)

Barrel (accuracy, damage to self, timer/homing)

Underbarrel (recoil)

Hybrid (continuous beam, dual function)

Primary Core (damage, physical, elemental) 

Secondary Core (multishot, accuracy)

Processor (charge speed, fire rate, punch through)

Chamber (SF damage, SF physical, SF elemental, SF blast radius/area of effect)

[sF=secondary function]

Magazine (magazine size, reload speed)

Secondary (not finished)

Pistols

Throwing Knives

Launchers

Bows

Hybrid

Melee (not finished)

Axe/Longsword

Sword

Dagger

Dual Daggers

Dual Swords

Staff

Polearm

Sparring

Gauntlets

Claws

Sword and Shield

Whips

Machetes

Concept (not finished)

Compensation (not finished)

Notes (not finished)

Edited by APBladeX

...Because the Mods system allows for complete customization to every aspect while requiring strategy and planning?

Seriously, DESteve has addressed this more times than I can count; the Mods system is unique and original yet still under perfection. Positive feedback is needed not a "Total Overhaul of the Foundation of Warframe," cause that's a waste of both my and your money.

...Because the Mods system allows for complete customization to every aspect while requiring strategy and planning?

Seriously, DESteve has addressed this more times than I can count; the Mods system is unique and original yet still under perfection. Positive feedback is needed not a "Total Overhaul of the Foundation of Warframe," cause that's a waste of both my and your money.

The mod system we currently have is terrible and encourages powercreep due to the effectiveness of certain mods. 

Not to mention that we are almost entirely reliant on it in the forms of Mods such as Serration, which are "Necessary" to actually progress into higher levels.

And Polarity Slots are also an issue as they allow weapons and Warframes to become far more powerful at lower levels, which results in enemy scaling trying to catch up and reach an appropriate level for the player in question.

This also messes up the scaling further when you factor in matchmaking issues, but thats a topic for another time.

Edited by Sasquatch180

I am partially inclined to agree with this. I've long been one to point out the flaws of the mod system, and DE even stated once that they believe the mod system to be a mistake, but they've invested so much time into it and how the game works that to replace it with something else would require a complete overhaul of the game's core systems. The game would literally not be the same game afterwards. And so I grumble, but I agree there's not much that can be done.

However. The mod card system is fairly unique among FPS games, and every single other one requires you to attach parts to your gun, or simply get a different pre-built gun. It also means that the only "give and take" these games have is to state "by adding this you also take away this, as a numerical value". Warframe presents an upgrade system where your penalty is defined by what you could have in your limited number of slots.

I think the primary issue is that the early-player experience is so utterly garbage that players aren't given these kind of mods when they need them to progress. I made a second account just to experience the intro story [accidentally missed it when given the choice] and even after defeating Vor, I still had not one mod for my secondary weapons, and only 15 mods in total, most of which weren't useful at all. The game then flings the new player into the world with potentially a tiny fraction of what they need to actually be successful in it.

Rather than overhaul the entire mod system, I think the depth and complexity of mods needs to be revised, as well as the new player experience and which mods they're guaranteed to obtain.

Don't white knight. Did you even read it?

every time i read the forums i feel like im the only one who likes and wants things to stay the same, mechanics wise. even taking the ability mods out is just a slight change.

I mean people who say "this and this needs to be compleatly changed" might as well just find another game, because if their wishes came true it would feel like a compleatly difrent game anyways.

every time i read the forums i feel like im the only one who likes and wants things to stay the same, mechanics wise. even taking the ability mods out is just a slight change.

I mean people who say "this and this needs to be compleatly changed" might as well just find another game, because if their wishes came true it would feel like a compleatly difrent game anyways.

Changes are the point of a beta. Warframe is constantly undergoing changes based on DE's ambitions, player feedback, and community concepts.

Changes are the point of a beta. Warframe is constantly undergoing changes based on DE's ambitions, player feedback, and community concepts.

Major changes to a major part of the game are for alphas, Betas are for fine tuning, and polishing. thats how it usually is in the video game industry.

and I dont ever remomber warframe actually changing anything based on community concepts. just additions and slight tweeks to balancing perpouses.