The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ability Slot Removal, Yay Or Nay? (Poll Inside, Vote So De Can See What The Majority Thinks)

Sebastianx

from what i've been given to understand the only way this affects you is if you're customizing your warframe to the point where you're only using a single ability.

if you use two or more, than this is actually a bonus as the new system allows for 8 mod slots and all abilities already available. (a net gain of two slots assuming all abilities)

yes, this would be a reduction for those players that only use a single slot... 

overall, this is a positive for the majority of the players. as well as a removal of the ability drops from the tables.

Well it really depends on how the ability altering mods work,

If the ability mods are worth using, meaning; They add specific stats to an ability that that ability needs to be good I.E. duration on M.prime, or will they just add gerenal interactions with each ability; I.E. "Enemies under M.primes effects will dance."  Or Enemies under the effect of M.prime now take 300% more damage.

Right now, most builds require 7-8 slots to be "good" meaning those 7-8 slots are used to add a frames required defense, and then the rest is min/maxing into giving the most/best possible stats with the least amount of hinderence.

If skills become good because you mod the skill, does that outweigh the required stats needed in order to use the frame to begin with. That will determine if we actually gain slots or not. If more mods are needed to remain, or become viable, then we lose slots, but if we can continue without needing to augment our skills then we will have gained slots.

Well it really depends on how the ability altering mods work,

If the ability mods are worth using, meaning; They add specific stats to an ability that that ability needs to be good I.E. duration on M.prime, or will they just add gerenal interactions with each ability; I.E. "Enemies under M.primes effects will dance."  Or Enemies under the effect of M.prime now take 300% more damage.

Right now, most builds require 7-8 slots to be "good" meaning those 7-8 slots are used to add a frames required defense, and then the rest is min/maxing into giving the most/best possible stats with the least amount of hinderence.

If skills become good because you mod the skill, does that outweigh the required stats needed in order to use the frame to begin with. That will determine if we actually gain slots or not. If more mods are needed to remain, or become viable, then we lose slots, but if we can continue without needing to augment our skills then we will have gained slots.

this is all entirely subjective. i don't overly min-max and i don't define a "good" build by the same criteria that many do.

what i believe to be a bonus (and it may be, according to my play-style) may not be considered up to snuff by others.

the current paradigm of mods, to players using two or more abilities, this alteration offers the opportunity to have more non-ability mods (in the case of someone running a full compliment of abilities) For those that wish to use 9 or 10 non-ability mods on their loadout, yes, this reduces their loadout choices.

in the case of the as-yet-to-be-implemented proxy wars mods, the current loadout system may need to be re-thought.

but until more details are known, it's too early to speculate.

I'm fine with the slot change. Anyone asking to keep the extra 2 slots while warframe abilities no longer take space are asking for too much--they're spoiled rotten. It's balance. It's the equivalent of going to a pawn shop, showing them the item yet not trading it in, and walking out with the money anyway.

The best balance to appease this audience in a way that may actually be helpful is to mark those rarely used mods as Utility mods, and give them their own custom slot alongside the aura mods.

I say this as a player who has every warframe both prime and standard, warframes with forma counting from 2 to 7, and I'm actually happy this change is coming.

If you used a single-ability build, you lose one mod, but gain three abilities stacked into that same slot. This build would not be possible in the old system. If you wanted to use more than 2 abilities, your build would have been badly gimped in the old system--our current system. Instead, a multi-ability build is more viable, and encourages players to have fun and see the variety the developers worked so hard to implement in the game, and bring rarely used abilities into the public view.

The new ability system aims to give players freedom and choice, and removes the doubts developers and players have of whether or not players have an ability equipped.

This could lead to better reworks. If an ability needs a buff in the way it functions yet there's no balanced way to add the feature into the same ability, a synergy can be created between two abilities. The developers can do this now because we will always have all four abilities on us.

You want Overheat back? It can come back as a synergy. You want Volt to cast Overload faster? That too. You want Frost's Freeze to be better? It can happen now. Venom? How about viral Venom that spreads. Many reworks will be possible with the possibility of this new synergy.

Also, some warframes can just be more fun. You want a Trinity buff? Instead of equipping Blessing and Link or Energy Vampire, you can now use both because the new upcoming build allows for more mods with this build. What about Ash abilities besides Bladestorm, doesn't that sound fun? Every warframe will be that much more fun.

And for what cost? Almost nothing. The single slot you lost has three abilities crammed into it. It actually feels like a net gain.

Yes, the players are spoiled--and also blind. They're not seeing the wonderful potential behind what they're gaining.

not to say that this isn't a good idea, but Venom literally already does that, it just requires a little bit more player interaction. Venom triggers up Viral procs, the player shoots one of the many spores with a bullet weapon, and it spreads to every enemy within the current room with extra range put on.

Not sure I can follow you with your second choice.

Second choice is to (assuming i remember my own post correctly) leave all four slots. Current plan versus my suggested plan breakdowns:

4 ability users get 2 slots

3 ability users get 1 slot

2 ability users are unaffected

1 ability users lose 1 slot

0 ability users lose 2 slots

This is the current plan. Two are harmed.

4 ability users get 4 slots

3 ability users get 3 slots

2 ability users get 2 slots

1 ability users get 1 slot

0 ability users are unaffected

This is my suggested plan. No one is harmed.

The big issue for the 10 slot approach is that you would then get a total of 4 unpolarized slots (where abilities used to be) from a frame just fresh out of the box, which makes it too easy to put a lot of power in the frame with little investment. This is not what the devs want, and I don't really want to see this either. If 10 slots are to be left there, there would have to be some form of restriction from using them to the fullest when you craft/buy the frame so that you actually have to put time into the frame to allow it to take in more mods.

One suggestion I have heard is to start with 8, then have the focus system give and option to raise it to 10. Another one is to actually leave the ability polarities on. It is a bit ironic, but it does help with the issue in a way.

Without forma, it will be impossible to utilize all ten slots without resorting to lower ranked mods. Look at this build http://goo.gl/r5zPVR as an example. Even if the player decided they wanted to fill those extra slots they'd either have to use forma or replace the blind rage with a 9 rank mod and a 7 rank mod (leaving one slot unfilled) or some combination of a maxed mod and some partially ranked mods. To use those extra two slots they'd have to forma their frame.

Second choice is to (assuming i remember my own post correctly) leave all four slots. Current plan versus my suggested plan breakdowns:

4 ability users get 2 slots

3 ability users get 1 slot

2 ability users are unaffected

1 ability users lose 1 slot

0 ability users lose 2 slots

This is the current plan. Two are harmed.

4 ability users get 4 slots

3 ability users get 3 slots

2 ability users get 2 slots

1 ability users get 1 slot

0 ability users are unaffected

This is my suggested plan. No one is harmed.

Yeah, that's the point I still don't understand. If I get it right, than all you did is suggesting giving everyone 10 mod slots instead of 8.

Don't you think that's a bit too much?

I'm sure that's a point too... people having access to 9 slots and not considering it a weakness having one-trick-ponies. It distorts the meta. Opinions may vary though.