The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Found Out Why My Comp Kept Turning Off When I Was Playing.

sp4rtan148

I sadly didnt take any pics but when I opened the side of my computer, dust just POURED out. I didnt clean it and I had the computer for about four years while it being in a little nook collecting dust.

So after a 2 month leave I am finally back because it took an hour to clean everything.

good for you...now please tell me how I can do the same with my laptop 

First you get some gasoline. Then you burn your laptop.

And after that, you buy new one. Easiest way.

Hard way would be to open your case and clean everything with alcohol or dedicated products. If your laptop is under guarantee, take it to the specialized shop so you wont lose your guarantee. If not, you can clean it yourself.

I sadly didnt take any pics but when I opened the side of my computer, dust just POURED out. I didnt clean it and I had the computer for about four years while it being in a little nook collecting dust.

That mental image made me tear up a bit. I'm gonna report you to People for the Ethical Treatment of Computers xD

But seriously man, dust in the CPU heatsink is probably the major cause of random shutdowns, right above power source malfunction.

First you get some gasoline. Then you burn your laptop.

And after that, you buy new one. Easiest way.

Hard way would be to open your case and clean everything with alcohol or dedicated products. If your laptop is under guarantee, take it to the specialized shop so you wont lose your guarantee. If not, you can clean it yourself.

A pressurized air can usualy does the job for dust (only about $10-$20) in any console but what ever floats your boat.

For a time My computer would inexplicably reset when I was playing warframe. It couldn't have been accumulation of dust, because I had only built the thing a few months before, so it was still fairly clean.

After some puzzling around, I looked at the uninterruptable power supply that I had plugged my computer into. I had been using it to prevent data loss if we ever lost power. I looked at the wattage rating, and discovered that it was significantly lower than the output my PSU could do. So as it turns out, the surge protector on my battery backup would trigger when I was doing something of high power load. So basically the very thing that was supposed to be PROTECTING me from my computer losing power was actually the thing making my computer reset. Go figure.

Welcome back, I hope your little cleaning adventure was as exciting as this one.

That was glorious.

RFgZh.jpg

Its literally the same thing but more dust, it was like an inch high. And there was no dead mouse (insert reference here)

Dust bunnies, they'll get your PC.

xlarge_evil_dust_bunny.jpg

Thats going into the biosphere creatures' sandwiches.

For a time My computer would inexplicably reset when I was playing warframe. It couldn't have been accumulation of dust, because I had only built the thing a few months before, so it was still fairly clean.

After some puzzling around, I looked at the uninterruptable power supply that I had plugged my computer into. I had been using it to prevent data loss if we ever lost power. I looked at the wattage rating, and discovered that it was significantly lower than the output my PSU could do. So as it turns out, the surge protector on my battery backup would trigger when I was doing something of high power load. So basically the very thing that was supposed to be PROTECTING me from my computer losing power was actually the thing making my computer reset. Go figure.

As the proud owner of a UPS unit I gotta say... you should have checked those specs before applying it to your computer bro.

wow I didn't expect to get so many replies XD

It's probably the mental image of dust pouring out when you opened your computer. Amusing as can be :D

As the proud owner of a UPS unit I gotta say... you should have checked those specs before applying it to your computer bro.

At the very least, for the whole process I had of building and maintaining my first desktop, forgetting to properly check the ups limits was the worst mistake I made, and was quickly fixed. All things considered, everything went better than expected.

hmm reading this thread makes me want to go use my air compressor and blow out my desktop.....that i havent touched since nearly December due to getting a laptop that is more powerful than my desktop lol. Its got dust on the top of the case *shudders*