Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sexism(Only Against Women) In Warframe?

TheCrimsonCrown

So? That's just complementing the design of a fictional character.

I guarantee you if I told her in a lobby chat "Man, I love rhino's codpiece" she wouldn't care. 

But the minute I say something good about the design of a female character, it is me being sexist.

This. So much this. We could discuss about Rhino's codpiece for minutes. Once talk about Valkyr fine booty. Boom they're everywhere

While I have encountered my fair share of sexism (Primarily from chat, which is sort of what one expects), "discrimination" in Warframe's not exactly anything worth writing home about.

That said, Tumblr SJWs give a lot of sorely-needed and helpful causes a really bad name. But, this is the internet, and the longer anything stays online, the more S#&$ it tends to get, like some sort of warped Midas touch.

Keep in mind that not EVERY feminist is like this, many gamer feminists (such as my ex) always supported games that had strong female characters with personalities, but always down upon needless sex. 

The ones that judge like that specific tumblr user, is the other kind.

It's the vocal minority that gets the most attention. I'm with you, mate, as far as I can see the majority of feminists are NOT this STUPID. They've got some good ideas - but extremism taints everything, as it has in every age.

And yet somehow Kratos isn't the female-eye-candy opposite of this?

This is why I find people like Sarkeesian and the like to be full of S#&$. 

I agree with Sarkeesian in that the game industry is quite sexist towards women, however it is JUST as sexist towards men as it is to women. 

But you don't see me hating games because of the portrayal of a characters sexual design.

I PLAY THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE FUN.

The truth can't be held guys. But Valkyr please. I wonder how she'll try Japanese MMOs

Hmm, Valkyr is a bit too tall for my preferences, but she's the embodiment of power and rage, that's why I like her.

I agree with Sarkeesian in that the game industry is quite sexist towards women, however it is JUST as sexist towards men as it is to women. 

But you don't see me hating games because of the portrayal of a characters sexual design.

If it's sexist in Hitman to kill women... when you can also kill men

Or in Fallout

etc etc[games she whined about for 160k dollarinos]

Who cares what one person thinks? Even if that person is one ina  million, there are 7, 234 people exactly like them. Just because one portion of the community are 12 year olds who can't shut their mouths on thigns they don't understand, doesnn't meant he whole community is hating on feminism. 

Perhaps the said person should stop generalizing all community members and not contribute to giving the feminism movement a tarnished name. Feminism is about equality, not one person being superior to others because of gender. If that particular person feels being a person of gender x allocates them special treatment, they are gravely mistaken.

Warframes community is driven by many good role models, but that person chose to judge warframe by the statements of region chat, I mean, what region chat in any game has any positive discussion? 

Now excuse me while I go flip out and vent my rage into artwork that no one sees...

Hmm, Valkyr is a bit too tall for my preferences, but she's the embodiment of power and rage, that's why I like her.

If it's sexist in Hitman to kill women... when you can also kill men

Or in Fallout

etc etc[games she whined about for 160k dollarinos]

If anything, feminists should be hating on Ride to Hell. 

The females in that game have one sole purpose...

TNA

Hmm, Valkyr is a bit too tall for my preferences, but she's the embodiment of power and rage, that's why I like her.If it's sexist in Hitman to kill women... when you can also kill menOr in Falloutetc etc[games she whined about for 160k dollarinos]

Valkyr's booty dude. But still, we have tons of female framers here and there, what's the issue with these "feminist".

Who cares what one person thinks? Even if that person is one ina  million, there are 7, 234 people exactly like them. Just because one portion of the community are 12 year olds who can't shut their mouths on thigns they don't understand, doesnn't meant he whole community is hating on feminism. 

Perhaps the said person should stop generalizing all community members and not contribute to giving the feminism movement a tarnished name. Feminism is about equality, not one person being superior to others because of gender. If that particular person feels being a person of gender x allocates them special treatment, they are gravely mistaken.

Warframes community is driven by many good role models, but that person chose to judge warframe by the statements of region chat, I mean, what region chat in any game has any positive discussion? 

Now excuse me while I go flip out and vent my rage into artwork that no one sees...

Sorry pal, but feminism is a movement, and a movement takes shape after its actions.

While there are good feminists[like C.H. Sommers] the vast majority who take action are bad feminists. For more details see DULUTH MODEL.

Eh, it's not "just as sexist towards men". Firstly, most muscular male characters are designed for male players, not female players. Not due to any, uh, sexual affection male players may develop towards them, but as archetypes of strong, powerful and sexually appealing characters -- what most teens secretly wanted to be. So pulling Kratos and other such characters as examples of sexism towards men doesn't really work.

Secondly, no one can, with a serious face, claim that there was equal amount of submissive, oppressive, etc themes targeted at male characters and female characters in video games. Female characters are much more often reserved minor roles and downplayed as primarily the victims of male interests.

Sexism is also not equal to portraying sexual qualities. Boobs in video games are awesome. Systematically downplaying character strengths due to gender, is less so. Sexism as a term is very often misunderstood as being only about excessive portrayal of sexual qualities. That isn't what the point is about.

That said.. Of what I have seen, Warframe and Warframe community are the least sexist game and game community I've seen. ;)

Edited by tzaeru

Sorry pal, but feminism is a movement, and a movement takes shape after its actions.

While there are good feminists[like C.H. Sommers] the vast majority who take action are bad feminists. For more details see DULUTH MODEL.

Feminism was about equality in their first and second wave. Now a large majority of the tird wave of feminism seems to be nitpicking on everything....

Eh, it's not "just as sexist towards men". Firstly, most muscular male characters are designed for male players, not female players. Not due to any, uh, sexual affection male players may develop towards them, but as archetypes of strong, powerful and sexually appealing characters -- what most teens secretly wanted to be. So pulling Kratos and stuff as examples of sexism towards men doesn't really work.

Secondly, no one can, with a serious face, claim that there was equal amount of submissive, oppressive, etc themes targeted at male characters and female characters in video games. Female characters are much more often reserved minor roles and downplayed as primarily the victims of male interests.

Sexism is also not equal to portraying sexual qualities. Boobs in video games are awesome. Systematically downplaying character strengths due to gender, is less so.

That said.. Of what I have seen, Warframe and Warframe community are the least sexist game and game community I've seen. ;)

I'm not as into it when it comes to the sexism towards men argument, I just brought it up to see how someone can react to it.

But I'm happy to see this.

Don't name and shame a girl in front of a entire community. Even if you or I don't agree with her thoughts at all, there is no reason to put her on the shaming block like this. Ignore her statment and move on.

(Until of course she becomes a big hit and is using propaganda, but even then don't herass)

Edited by TheSadisticDragon

Sexist because of the sexualization? 'Cause I don't see that as being a problem. I'm an average man, I don't want to play as someone who looks EXACTLY like me in any game. I WANT to be the Kratos-looking badass because, hell, I wish I had that kind of power.

Wont disagree that there ARE some issues - the damsel in distress trope - but even then I feel like we upplay these a LITTLE MORE than we need to. Why can't we have them AND characters like Lara Croft - sexy badasses who could kick your &#! and look good doing so?

Probably not looking at the bigger picture quite as much as I ought to for this discussion, though.

Wont disagree that there ARE some issues - the damsel in distress trope - but even then I feel like we upplay these a LITTLE MORE than we need to. Why can't we have them AND characters like Lara Croft - sexy badasses who could kick your @$$ and look good doing so?

The part I bolded is what I support when it comes to the design of female characters (typically in action games).

Bayonetta is sexy as hell man, but she is hard as nails badass too.

Don't name and shame a girl in front of a entire community. Even if you or I don't agree with her thoughts at all, there is no reason to put her on the shaming block like this. Ignore her statment and move on.

(Until of course she becomes a big hit and is using propaganda, but even then don't herass)

I was bringing up a statement for the community to discuss.

It's in Off Topic.

We don't know her username.

This is not shaming a member of the community, because we don't know him, therefore, not against the rules.

And it's not harassment, we're discussing.

Edited by TheCrimsonCrown

The part I bolded is what I support when it comes to the design of female characters (typically in action games).

Bayonetta is sexy as hell man, but she is hard as nails badass too.

Yes, yes, YES!

That's what I love in a game. A badass woman. I mean, at least one.

The female protagonists in my book are even smarter[and stronger] than my male protagonists.