Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Internet Taxing (Or Atleast Planned In My Country)

Morgax

Anyway, currently there is set of rules under review which will force any internet provider company to pay 150 HUF/0,50 EUR/0,62 Dollars for every Gigabit downloaded.

According to statistics normal user "consumes" about 30-50 Gigs.

Just to put old prices in retrospect for my current provider: 50 Mbit/sec 5925 HUF/19,35 EUR/25 dollars (that is if legally bind myself to them for 2 years)

Eitherway, i'm nearly paying the same price or even more just to use my internet.

The sum may not look that much howeever the ratio is pretty insane, hopefully these rules will never become a reality if they do i hope the stupidity won't spread further.

Country: Hungary (that spot in middle europe, not exactly high gdp).

Can't decide whetever laugh at this or be really sad.

Edited by Morgax

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not already a thing in places like the US and Canada? I know on my bill, I get a set amount of GB downloaded per month (300GB), and if I go over, I get my internet throttled. I could pay more per month to get an increased cap, but I've never actually reached my limit. 

I know the US/Canada aren't the shining examples in the world of telecommunication companies, but I was under the impression that data caps are becoming a big thing with telecommunications companies around the world?

Edited by PandemicLegions

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not already a thing in places like the US and Canada? I know on my bill, I get a set amount of GB downloaded per month, and if I go over, I get my internet throttled. I could pay more per month to get an increased cap, but I've never actually reached my limit. 

I know the US/Canada aren't the shining examples in the world of telecommunication companies, but I was under the impression that data caps are becoming a big thing with telecommunications companies around the world?

I do have limit here aswell howeever it is something like 100 Gigabit a month (despite having download heavy months never managed to achieve that).

If you wish to compare it to cap then it is set to 1 gigabit (i remember living for a year in village with microwave net even there the cap was 6 gigabits around 2000).

Edited by Morgax

In Poland (that spot in Europe between Germany and now aggressively expanding Russia) we've been just taxed extra on tablets and smartphones because everyone is supposedly a pirate downloading music, movies and all copyright protected stuff.

We payed extra for CDs and DVDs for same reason for a long time now.

Our Internet providers pretend to compete with each other but in fact wind up prices and force to sing long term contracts for sh*tty connections.

Cost of decent Internet is around 1/15 - 1/20 of average month salary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not already a thing in places like the US and Canada? I know on my bill, I get a set amount of GB downloaded per month, and if I go over, I get my internet throttled. I could pay more per month to get an increased cap, but I've never actually reached my limit. 

It's a thing with some ISPs in some areas.  It's not a nation-wide thing or a law, thankfully.

It's becoming more common as ISPs start running into issues where they sell more bandwidth than they actually can sustain (well-known issue), and nowadays as people use the internet more and more for media-oriented things, ISPs are having a lot more trouble actually providing the bandwidth they're claiming in general, not just during peak times in highly-populated areas.

Thats why I use a VPN so they can't really tell how much data im using since it is all now encrypted!

Uh, that's not going to help.  An encrypted tunnel may stop them from seeing the exact contents of what's being transferred, but it's still being transferred through your ISP so it still takes up that much bandwidth and they can easily see how much of it there is.

Like you can slap all sorts of locks, labels, and x-ray-proof devices onto a package to stop people from being able to see what's in it... but it won't stop people from being able to see how big it is or putting it on a scale to weigh it.

I do have limit here aswell howeever it is something like 100 Gigabit a month (despite having download heavy months never managed to achieve that).

If you wish to compare it to cap then it is set to 1 gigabit (i remember living for a year in village with microwave net even there the cap was 6 gigabits around 2000).

I'd say that a 6GB cap back in 2000 is pretty reasonable. That was when dial-up was still a thing and where streaming videos/downloading games online just wasn't possible.

You'd be surprised how little you use when you take online game downloads and online streaming of any kind out of the equation.

Luckily for us, the Internet is one of those essential things - so fundamental to lifestyles and passionately defended - that business interests and governments won't be able to lock down control over.

The common public of most developed nations has the resources it needs to just build "internet 2" if the existing infrastructure is denied. Crazy, rebellious, greedy, idealistic, bored, passionate average people can just decide they want to do it.

We see impressive examples of activism all over the world already, and the Internet is one of those things people are willing to get messy and defend. The knowledge and material are out there already - the box is opened, and no amount of struggling can close it.

One way or another, I have faith in the future of the free web.

Edited by notlamprey