The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Have To Say, Limbo Has Some Swag

R34LM

It doesn't have anything to do with ninjas.

Warframe had this nice aesthetic going on where the themes of each design were suggestive of something else (i.e., Ash's insect/oni mask helmet, Frost's coat + boots, Nekros' hood and robe syandana). The top hat is too literal for me, and it takes a lot of the awe and wonder out of a frame's design when you spell out its theme. If the early WF designs were reminiscient of classic scifi and cyberpunk anime, then Limbo [name pending]'s design is a weird mix of that and magical bishounen sensibilities (EDIT: TheThreadWeaver and angrykenji beat me to Tuxedo Mask).

Mynki and co.'s frame designs have been taking that literal trend lately. Save for Mirage (who I think looks great), the more recent frames like Oberon/Zephyr/Hydroid have less personality than the older frames because to me they look overworked. I understand that a designer's vision will evolve over the course of a project, of course. But I can't forget that the ambiguity of the older frame designs is what drew me into this game and gave it a mystique that no other F2P shooter could offer.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

During dev stream i thought DE were just kidding about this hat on new frame but when i saw that teaser i realized that nothing can suprize me now. DE could clearly said that he is magician, and dont call him "void wizard".He just dont fit warframe universe, Warframes were supposed to be a lost, forgotten warriors from void, wearing ancient deadly exoskeletons from orokin era not a magicians from circus. Sry guys but i have to say that im afraid that now we can even expect clown based warframe...

it's my personal opinion, but i've seen much more interesting concept warframes on forums which could be released in this update than this "Limbo"

Personally, I was a little on the fence when they said he would have a top hat making the this warframe feel a out of place with the rest. Seeing him now, i am actually quiet please with how he looks, For me the hat is not weird it just make him more whole in my opinion, he still looks pretty awesome and very dapper if i do say.

I assumed they were kidding about the top-hat during the devstream. I'm kind of disappointed they weren't. Its a bit too campy for such a super soldier space ninja game. I feel like this game is slowly slipping into the current trend of games today to be silly far beyond the scope of their theme and other content.

this

Despite the vocal minority, and those people who chose to communicate soley in .jpg or.gif, I think most of us are finding this a little too far fetched and campy for this game.

So I'm saying it:

I motion we recall this frame design. We were promised a Void Sorcerer, not a Void Cheap Trick Con Artist. 

#RecallLimbo

Edited by inthephonebox

Despite the vocal minority, and those people who chose to communicate soley in .jpg or.gif, I think most of us are finding this a little too far fetched and campy for this game.

So I'm saying it:

I motion we recall this frame design. We were promised a Void Sorcerer, not a Void Cheap Trick Con Artist. 

#RecallLimbo

This is a small thread of posters, bud. You'd have to make a new one for that. Also, take it up with the designers.

Also, it was originally pegged as void sorcerer. They changed it to "magician" in the last stream.

Edited by R34LM

I don't really have any opinion either way in this debate, but I'd recommend you don't declare you're in the majority without some very solid proof. 

You are right, it is probably too early to see the general reception, since it isn't even released yet and we only have a few seconds of teaser. I was simply going by the overall feel of this thread, which I've been reading as mainly hesitant suspension of disbelief and outright disapproval, but there are posts in favor, or at least not opposed to the idea. 

But I retain everything I've said otherwise. This frame's appearance is taking the game down the slippery slope of out-of-place campiness, and it does not fit with the theme of the game. It was also not what we were told it will be, a void sorcerer. Sorcerers do not wear top hats...not the serious ones anyway. I would much rather have a Void Sorcerer than a Void Magician any day. Besides, I feel the trickery of Mirage's powers are more in line with a magician theme than this frames supposed powers. 

I know it would take far more unity than these forums are capable of in order to convince DE of this, but I retain my recall motion.

I appreciate all the time and energy that must have gone into the design and animations for this frame, and commend the teams that worked on it, but it does not fit the game, and I'd rather see a their creative genious and hard work go towards a frame that actually looks like it belongs in what I, and hopefully DE themselves, feel is a serious game. 

#RecallLimbo

-snip-

I understand where you are getting at. However, it is a matter of perception. I never found Warframe to take itself too seriously. You have holiday events where grineer wear holiday hats.

But, every story has at least one or more weird guys. Maybe an alternate helmet will be a hood to fit the sorcerer feel; it is much better than recalling an entire design.

But, I don't care about it, I will express. I have a feeling that the topic will grow old quickly when we know what he can actually do.

Edited by R34LM

-snip-

Well, there are plenty of other threads in GD full of the exact opposite. So I think it's going to be hard to tell.

Personally, I don't like how he looks. Probably won't pick him up unless his abilities are really good. However, there's nothing really "out of place" about him given that we already have some quite silly looking stuff, some of it dating back to closed beta. Part of the game's charm is that it doesn't try too hard to be cool, and is able to experiment with unique designs like this.

I reserve the right to judge him until i play him.  I like the look of him, but i must agree that he really doesnt fit into the warframe crowd. 

Also, you gotta ask yourself: how practical is a removeable hat on a warframe?  especially since their sole purpose is fighting?

i can only hope haha

rest of the frame is great,not really digging the hat.

Now that I think of it, looking at the site with Limbo in the Liset as well, his hat may fit onto his head nice enough that you wouldn't notice that they were separate. Don't know if it'll help either side of the argument, but just an obervation I made.

Now that I think of it, looking at the site with Limbo in the Liset as well, his hat may fit onto his head nice enough that you wouldn't notice that they were separate. Don't know if it'll help either side of the argument, but just an obervation I made.

I actually noticed that as well. Here's the picture from the front page:

LimboTeaser-website.jpg?c=9ea3ccdbc69216

It looks like the hat locks in place on the head, over that blue glowy stuff inside him. Maybe it's like a protective cover or something?

I actually noticed that as well. Here's the picture from the front page:

LimboTeaser-website.jpg?c=9ea3ccdbc69216

It looks like the hat locks in place on the head, over that blue glowy stuff inside him. Maybe it's like a protective cover or something?

even still,it's a top hat for the void magician,starting too sound like a yugioh card.

Edited by LostCody

The day that ninjas died.

The game IS called WARframe. I think it's time to just call the Tennos simply warriors.

This is the last nail in the coffin, fairy frame and pirate frame started digging that grave but this....

You know what? Freaking Mirage is following this magician theme,too. It looks like some one over at DE must've been watching some magic show and just thrown that into the game. Did not one over there catch that? Mirage and Top Hat frame here are actually the female and male version of the same theme.

Because Vauban having a train for a face, Frost having an oscillating fan for a head, and Nekros having a skull face and hoodie are totally ok right guys?

Because you're all not just panicking because you're stupid children, right? RIGHT GUYS?

#hashtagsareidiotic

Because Vauban having a train for a face, Frost having an oscillating fan for a head, and Nekros having a skull face and hoodie are totally ok right guys?

Because you're all not just panicking because you're stupid children, right? RIGHT GUYS?

#hashtagsareidiotic

Vauban has what it appears to you as a train face.

Warframes are part machine so a fan is fine.

And ninjas dont use hoodies, right? Or Japanese armor never had demon faces on the face plates, right?

What's the excuse of a top hat?

DE, i think Steve said that they have not run out of ideas when it comes to frames and i think they have. If you cant pull out something ninja-like at this point you dont have any more ideas. I means Naruto has hundreds of issues and they still pull out ninja-theme crap... how can you not? And this isnt even just Naruto, there are still ninja-theme shows out there coming out with different twists to the theme.

At this point Warframe is becoming a power rangers type of a thing. Each show it's just a random theme that they can make cool toys about.

Vauban has what it appears to you as a train face.

Warframes are part machine so a fan is fine.

And ninjas dont use hoodies, right? Or Japanese armor never had demon faces on the face plates, right?

What's the excuse of a top hat?

DE, i think Steve said that they have not run out of ideas when it comes to frames and i think they have. If you cant pull out something ninja-like at this point you dont have any more ideas. I means Naruto has hundreds of issues and they still pull out ninja-theme crap... how can you not? And this isnt even just Naruto, there are still ninja-theme shows out there coming out with different twists to the theme.

At this point Warframe is becoming a power rangers type of a thing. Each show it's just a random theme that they can make cool toys about.

Warframe has always been a Power Rangers/Sentai/Tokusatsu thing. It's about a bunch of superhumans in super suits using science magic to beat up monsters and evil organizations. Can't get much more Sentai than that.

What a lot of those old Japanese series did well, though, was make those suit designs suggestive. The Kamen helmets are all clearly insectoid, but beyond that, they don't try to emulate actual insects. Take a frame like Banshee or Ash. They are made up of certain parts. Some of them look like insect body parts, others subtly evoke their frame's theme, like Ash's ninja vest or Banshee's harp shoulderpad. Yet neither of them explicitly show that they clearly are supposed to be something.

Limbo's detachable hat, meanwhile, just screams "HEY IT'S A TOP HAT!" It's not very interesting from a conceptual standpoint and tries too much to be something, rather than suggest something. The old frames were good at doing this. The new frames - with the exception of Mirage - are not.

Edited by Noble_Cactus